• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Three tyre failures. Two for Massa, where Williams suspects it's wheel rim fault and one for Magnussen at over 300 kph, which damaged suspension.

But yeah guys, we totally don't need practice in F1. We should see these problems in qualifying and race, right?

Cf_LLQ1XIAAh0RP.jpg

Massa

That's no different than any other sport. The team, and the player (and his personal medical staff if he has one) make the call on returning from injury. That's their responsibility. I've never heard of a governing body calling the shots on anything other than the examples I gave.

The only other dangerous sport I follow besides F1 is the NFL, and the teams don't make the final call there either. The league has to clear a player after a serious injury.

I think it's just a fact of life that if teams and players are left in charge they'll always make decisions motivated by winning and money rather than the player's health.

Mastah

Pirelli Motorsport ‏@pirellisport 43m43 minutes ago

We confirm: Williams and Renault failures NOT tyre related.

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 37m37 minutes ago South East, England

Nico Rosberg's problem in FP1 has been traced to an ignition issue. It should be resolved for FP2.

Mastah

KMag is also unlucky:

Renault Sport F1 ‏@RenaultSportF1 1m1 minute ago

We're still investigating what happened on Kevin's car during #FP1, and that means he won't be running in this session...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes twitter guys are having a good time with picking the opponents today

So apparently Seb took P2 then went off to chill in the grandstands.... Boy got skills, no denying... #F1 #ChineseGP #FP2

Supersofts are dropping quite fast, 8 laps max

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So, we can expect pretty damp Qs

Saturday is the most interesting and dynamic day of the weekend. Partially heavy showers will move over Shanghai overnight as a trough moves over the area. After that, light to moderate isolated showers will be present with otherwise dry, cloudy conditions until midday. Isolated showers will increase in coverage during the afternoon with chances for a few rumbles of thunder with these showers. Given these developments, there is a chance that P3 and qualifying will be held under wet conditions. Later on in the evening and after the sessions, it is possible that another band of heavier rainfall will move through, although there is still some uncertainty concerning the exact timing and intensity of this rainfall band.

Race will be in nice, sunny, but colder weather

Mastah

"I think the Pirelli tyre limits have been ridiculous today for tyre pressure and everything is just up to the roof and the cars are undriveable," Grosjean said.

"Out of the garage, front tyre pressure of 23 psi, which is absolutely ridiculous. The rear is 21.5, so we are allowed on the rear some high limit, but not much on the front.

"You just don't get any feeling, it's like a piece of wood - it's just not driveable. Back in the day we were four, five psi lower than that."

"I think recently we already had quite dramatic limits, but when we were on 21-20, that still gives you a bit of a limit - it's still very high, back in Michelin times it was 15-13, in 2012 people were 16-18.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/g...re-limits-making-haas-car-undriveable-687255/

And 3 second gains from Australia and Bahrain are nowhere to be seen in China, where even with supersoft available in 2016, times improved only by 5 tenths compared to last year.

Zaru

So possibly tyre issues AND rain during quali this weekend? Could be interesting, but sucks for the affected drivers of course

Juicy Bob

This is why Pirelli need more fucking tyre testing.

But the teams won't agree on how they allow it because they're all scared of losing an advantage or a rival getting an advantage and so nothing is getting done.

Pirelli need more than they're getting to be able to sort out their tyres and give the FIA and the teams what they want.

The only other dangerous sport I follow besides F1 is the NFL, and the teams don't make the final call there either. The league has to clear a player after a serious injury.

I think it's just a fact of life that if teams and players are left in charge they'll always make decisions motivated by winning and money rather than the player's health.

Only in regards to concussions is the NFL office involved with player injury. The teams (their physicians), in conjunction with the player, and in some cases outside medical opinions are who clears players to play.

If you break your ribs, the league doesn't care what you do. That's what I said though.

The real difference between an NFL player and a F1 driver is the NFL player has a union with protection, and bargained rights. An F1 driver is just an employee, same as any other employee at any other job (in that country). They're protected by labor laws, but they have to fend for themselves.

Aiii

So not worth it
The problem with letting the driver and team decide about letting a driver drive is the stakes they have.

They lose money if they don't have their driver there. The driver loses points, income from sponsors, the team the same. If you let the team decide they will take risks. Alonso could have driven and be fine, but if he crashed, his rib might puncture his lungs and he could be at serious risk. But only when that happened. The team and driver might have been inclined to "take that risk" and then he might have been seriously injured.

And who would take the blame on a driver being seriously injured in F1? That's right, F1 itself would. They would be the ones that would get in the media.

So yeah, they have a team of medical experts that should be the end-all of decision making on if a driver is fit to compete or not, not the team. Because they're the only party in this that'll be objective enough to make a decision based on what's safest for the driver.

Mastah

If it's wet tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how competetive they are. Last year in Austin Maccas were doing alright, with Nando missing Q3 only by 1 tenth, so I guess if there's rain, final qualifying should see at least one McLaren in.

dubc35

Crap I was looking forward to watching fp3 and qualy. I wouldn't be surprised if qualy is tomorrow based on the forecast.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It is a bit absurd reading statements from Mercedes in style 'OMG we are already behind Ferrari'

Come race day, half a second advantage....

InertiaXr

I just got home and want to watch qualy but its at 1:45am for me, don't want to stay up and then have it cancelled. What are the chances it goes ahead? Did FP3 go ahead but just nobody bothered to go out due to the rain?

Mastah

It can be, but for different reasons - it's pretty dry right now and it might not rain again until the end of quali.

Zeknurn

I enjoyed when Horner said 'they were going to look at qualifying when the championship had been decided... so at Silverstone'

Great drainage engineering at this track, apparently! Everything dries out except the front straight.

Reminder: Were we still in the new format, there'd be people eliminated before having a chance to set a single flying lap time after the red flag comes up.
I forgot this was old qualifying rules now. How long will this take?
1 hour.

John_B

Looked like the bottom of the car hit a bump in the road and was lifted. Weird nobody else had hit it like that so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom