• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if you removed the requirement to use qualifying tyres for the race, and didn't have shared tyre allocations for both qualy and the race, then teams would perhaps be more likely to run and use up the tyres they have, knowing they aren't damaging any race strategy as their tyre choice and allocation would be reset for the race.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
if you removed the requirement to use qualifying tyres for the race, and didn't have shared tyre allocations for both qualy and the race, then teams would perhaps be more likely to run and use up the tyres they have, knowing they aren't damaging any race strategy as their tyre choice and allocation would be reset for the race.

It would be a better qualifying but a worse race. Part of the reason why we haven't had 40 Mercedes wins in a row is that sometimes other teams manage to have an additional set of fresh tyres in the race. Take that away and races become even more boring than they already are.

It also doesn't take into account that the main reason why teams drive as little as possible in Q and FP is because of the engine regulations. An engine has to last five weekends, including practice sessions, qualifyings, races. If you gave them two additional engines just for the qualifying they would race more. But as a result Mercedes could just go into overdrive and dominate the qualfying even more. There is no simple solution to a better qualifying.

Doikor

Start the cars with a full tank. Only way to make it lighter is to drive it. Also might have to give extra tires. Combine this with the elimination style maybe.

Juicy Bob

This is all really complicated when they could instead make things far more competitive and equal by changing the awfully unfair financial inequality in the sport.

Zaru

This is all really complicated when they could instead make things far more competitive and equal by changing the awfully unfair financial inequality in the sport.

How, exactly? Or not even exactly, a rough idea would be fine.

Going by last year, we've had 4 teams spending 400+ million, with one being way ahead at the top and another being in the back of the field.

Budget, or lack thereof, isn't going to prevent the grid from looking like now.

Zeknurn

How, exactly? Or not even exactly, a rough idea would be fine.

Going by last year, we've had 4 teams spending 400+ million, with one being way ahead at the top and another being in the back of the field.

Budget, or lack thereof, isn't going to prevent the grid from looking like now.

Do what Max Mosely has been suggesting for years. The teams that agree to the cost cap get less restrictions and more creative freedom on car design making them more competitive than the teams that haven't agreed to the cost cap.

Juicy Bob

Also, why not make customer cars a thing again? Make it easier for people to get into F1. More teams can only be a good thing and provide more storylines to follow. Disqualify them from the Constructor's Championship if need be.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seeing as he barely beat slow-as-hell Van Uitert byonly 3.4 seconds, that says next to nothing.

Jury is still out on young Mick, I guess.

Zaru

Seeing as he barely beat slow-as-hell Van Uitert byonly 3.4 seconds, that says next to nothing.

Jury is still out on young Mick, I guess.

Can't be easy being him though, money aside. His father is the record champion of all time and at the same time in very bad health (I forgot, do we even know if he woke up?). That's emotional baggage on top of absurd expectations that only a small amount of drivers could ever hope to even remotely scratch. He'll be lucky to make it to Ralf levels.

Jezbollah

Also, why not make customer cars a thing again? Make it easier for people to get into F1. More teams can only be a good thing and provide more storylines to follow. Disqualify them from the Constructor's Championship if need be.

Disqualifying from the constructors championship takes a fuckton of money away from them. The entire pay model of F1 in the concord agreement would need to be remade, and you can imagine the drama about doing that..

Mohonky

Vettel's engine is toast due to electronic mapping issues that simply pushed exhaust valve into overdrive mode. (Motorsport)

No issues with our PU fo' sure

Same could be observed with other teams using 2016 Ferrari engines. Also there were reports about engine vibrations from Ferrari customer teams

Sounds like the valve timing glitched and the valve and piston decided to occupy the same space in the cylinder at the same time. Not good.

I dunno if it's just me but there's definitely a lot less interest in the sport this year imo.

I mean, I've watched F1 since I was in a babywalker (literally) and even I am finding it hard to give a rats ass, especially when off the track is more interesting than on it.

To round it all off, I enjoyed the former format of qualy, it was great. The first 2 qualy sessions have been shit this year, totally anti-climatic.

dubc35

I'm hoping that now qualy is settled (hopefully) for the season the racing will take center stage. If Nico continues to win we could see a ton of pressure placed on Lewis, Ferrari are close enough to take a win or two, and we have some great midfield battles with a rookie team in the mix. It's only two grands prix but I'm holding on to some hope. I definitely have more now than before Q1 in Melbourne when I thought Lewis would have won both GPs.

Lach

Damn. I'll miss the china race for the third time in a row. Not that it seems I've missed much the last two years...

yami4ct

I'm hoping that now qualy is settled (hopefully) for the season the racing will take center stage. If Nico continues to win we could see a ton of pressure placed on Lewis, Ferrari are close enough to take a win or two, and we have some great midfield battles with a rookie team in the mix. It's only two grands prix but I'm holding on to some hope. I definitely have more now than before Q1 in Melbourne when I thought Lewis would have won both GPs.

Lewis vs Nico is shaping up to maybe be an actual fight this season, which is nice. I'm curious to see if Lewis will really get the hang of starts again and end up running away with it over the long term. We'll see. I have some hope the actual championship will be a fight, even if that fight is between 2 Mercs.

Midfield is going to be fun regardless. Aside from the awful disappointing start for Williams, I'm really happy to see how the mid pack is shaping up. Haas has been a wonderful addition and it's great to see all the other teams duke it out as well.

Pryce

I just realized that Vettel is stuck in a crap situation. He’s just far enough behind HAM/NIC to where he can't really battle them, and he's much better than Kimi with all other teams comfortably behind.

He’s all by himself in 3rd.

Business

I just realized that Vettel is stuck in a crap situation. He’s just far enough behind HAM/NIC to where he can't really battle them, and he's much better than Kimi with all other teams comfortably behind.

r

Sad really, Ferrari have been second best for how many years now?

tomtom94

Am I right in thinking that a driver has to have participated in at least one qualifying session to be put in the car for the race?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Am I right in thinking that a driver has to have participated in at least one qualifying session to be put in the car for the race?

If they weren't able to set a time during qualifying because of a damaged car, or they were over the 107% rule, they could still get dispensation if they've shown to be within 107% during any practice session.

Goldrusher

http://www.fia.com/file/40135/download?token=WmmrCaLS

31.1 No driver may start in the race without taking part in at least one practice session.

35.1 During Q1, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest time set during that session, or who fails to set a time, will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race.

Any driver accepted in this manner will be placed at the back of the starting grid after any other penalties have been applied.

Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner they will be arranged on the bgrid in the order they were classified in P3.

dubc35

Gotta love some of the asian GP's where qualy and the GP take place on the same day in my time zone (US PT) lol!
I'll be sleeping during both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom