• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

r

"Soon..."

Looks like I can watch it in its entirety live at 1 AM. Need perfect weather please, Shanghai.

Cf8fFHYUkAIghWE.jpg:large

Lewis Hamilton will take a five-place grid penalty for the Chinese Grand Prix as the result of a gearbox change.

0YmmsuX.jpg

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks 3m
According to Marca Alonso got a green light from FIA medical team and will be racing in China. #F1

Mastah

Sepang will change from this year:

The resurfacing and upgrading exercise involves the entire 5.543km track, including improving corner driveability at Turns 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 as well as 8, 9, 12 and 15, upgrading of the drainage system, the kerbs and the run-off area at Turns 1, 4, 9, 12 and 15, as well as upgrading the shortcuts. The last turn will make a major impact to the track, offering users a brand new and challenging experience.

http://www.sepangcircuit.com/events/general-news/news/​sepang-international-circuit-right-on-track

CfnJnowVAAAAyTf.jpg:large

Jarno ‏@jarnozaffelli

@sepangcircuit the new last corner is taking shape. Completely new challenge for #MotoGP riders and #F1 drivers

@NCGaccount @sepangcircuit completely reprofiled, variable banking, off camber

RoKKeR

He'll be 12th instead of 6th by turn 1. Should make an exciting race! (sans Rosberg pootling off into the distance)

Exactly!

I am also totally fine with Rosberg walking away with another win... we know the Constructor's is already decided, need maximum drama for the Driver's Championship.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Bernie's new plan: give the fastest a grid penalty to shake up qualifying,but never reveal how many spaces or on what race.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes will probably use some hidden engine mode for Lewis in the race

it is small miracle that he managed to get 3rd place in Bahrain with so badly beaten car

Sloane

Banned
I am also totally fine with Rosberg walking away with another win... we know the Constructor's is already decided, need maximum drama for the Driver's Championship.
Agreed. Rosberg having an actual shot at the driver's championship would virtually guarantee the season delivering a bit of enjoyment at least on some level. Fingers crossed Hamilton doesn't learn how to start.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I wouldn't mind if Rosberg wins, or at least makes from teammate tomfoolery. Everybody's still playing catch-up. Ferrari needs to get their reliability bugs fixed. I think they can actually influence the fight at the top this year.

Staab

Unless they've sorted the engine problem they'll be screwed on the main straight.

Yeah, the main and back straights in China are going to murder their engine, I'm expecting a weak performance from them :(

Hope Alonso will be fine to race again.

Mastah

Kevin Eason ‏@easonF1 5m5 minutes ago

Hearing Fernando Alonso can race at the #ChineseGP. Awaiting cOnfirmation though

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 43s43 seconds ago

ALO confirms he's still waiting for a decision from the FIA on his participation this weekend

I'm with Ron a 100% on this, the FIA should not be clearing people to drive. Head injuries, OK. In and out of the car, OK. On drugs, OK. Cracked ribs? Fuck off. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm with Ron a 100% on this, the FIA should not be clearing people to drive. Head injuries, OK. In and out of the car, OK. On drugs, OK. Cracked ribs? Fuck off. I've never seen anything like it.

Not convinced I agree. A driver will always try to get back in the car as soon as possible, even if not 100%... and obviously it's in a team's best interest to have it happen as soon as possible too.

At the end of the day, if he crashes, has a rib snap, go through his heart, and dies... who do you think will be taking the flack for not stopping him being on the track?

Not convinced I agree. A driver will always try to get back in the car as soon as possible, even if not 100%... and obviously it's in a team's best interest to have it happen as soon as possible too.

At the end of the day, if he crashes, has a rib snap, go through his heart, and dies... who do you think will be taking the flack for not stopping him being on the track?

That's no different than any other sport. The team, and the player (and his personal medical staff if he has one) make the call on returning from injury. That's their responsibility. I've never heard of a governing body calling the shots on anything other than the examples I gave.

I don't see it as any different from concussion in this case.

For concussion, there's a significant danger in the case of another crash.

For weakened ribs, there's a significant danger in the case of another crash.

Fair enough, I just prefer the team and driver to handle the matter. I think there's plenty of deterrent there to keep the driver and team on the straight and narrow. Nobody wants to die. Nobody wants to be sued for every cent they have.

ramparter

Banned
Lauda wouldn't be allowed to race so soon after his crash.

Anyway, unless there are reason to believe the driver could be dangerous to others, he should make that decision on his own.

dubc35

Some academics at Sheffield University have written a paper about multi-level modelling driver and team performance in F1 across the years.

It's all a bit much for a simple arts student like myself, but I'm sure some people here will get some fun out of it.

Interesting, thanks for posting! I didn't go too much into detail (mostly looking at charts in the appendix) but quite interesting stuff The model prediction looks pretty spot on...well until McHonda shit the bed last year lol. There are also some surprising drivers higher up than I thought (Nick Heidfeld to name one).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Participated in the ESL twitch channel hosting the 2nd Formula-E Race-Off (didn't seem that popular at around 250 concurrent viewers) and won one of the prizes. Received a bluetooth speaker thingy today:

Some academics at Sheffield University have written a paper about multi-level modelling driver and team performance in F1 across the years.

It's all a bit much for a simple arts student like myself, but I'm sure some people here will get some fun out of it.

I'm definitely going to have to read through this. The methodology always seems to be more interesting than the results, although these results are pretty interesting! Niki Lauda is not a top 50 driver, neither is Mika. Christian Fittipaldi is 11th though! A Thai Prince you've never heard of with no podiums to his name is #43 as well. Good to know.

ramparter

Banned
Yep, we had two great and entertaining races back to back so far, so it makes perfect sense to declare this race dead because of a five place grid penalty for Lewis.
You just said it. Two great races in modern F1 already. Impossible to have another.

DBT85

Fair enough, I just prefer the team and driver to handle the matter. I think there's plenty of deterrent there to keep the driver and team on the straight and narrow. Nobody wants to die. Nobody wants to be sued for every cent they have.

If you leave it in the hands of the drivers and the teams, they do the wrong things. Every time. Cept the case of the US tyre fiasco.

Shaneus

Webber drove for something like half a season with a fractured ankle, didn't he? Mind you, no-one other than he and the team medical guy (I think) knew, but it can be done.

That's also nowhere near as potentially life-threatening.

Line_HTX

Scuderia Ferrari ‏@ScuderiaFerrari 20m20 minutes ago

Ni hao! Pit stop practicing here #ChineseGP #redseason

CgC4YBfW4AEyivX.jpg:large

I chuckled. Oh you~ Ferrari!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom