• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

FuturusX

Wasn't what his engineer said "you're probably going to have to give that place back"?

I think the issue here is the understanding of the rule. Often the driver or the team has given the position back, preemptively. Perhaps going forward there should be an agreement or and an understanding amongst all drivers that race control and stewards makes the decision and the driver is under no obligation to do so until told directly by race control.

In theory, that is likely the understanding already in place but perhaps all drivers need to be reminded of it.

I like Vettel and I can understand his frustration with Danny coming up behind him so quickly but...Max only has to move when race control tells him to do so.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
There wasn't which is why he gained an advantage, he locked up and missed the corner completely yet he exited the corner well ahead of the cars who were behind him directly, how is that not an advantage?

Imagine he'd done that in the first corner at Monza, he would have had to drive around bumps and would come out behind the first two atleast.

If you've watched F1 for any length of time you'd know that it's consistent that advantages of pure time aren't considered unless corners are explicitly noted in the drivers' briefing. Advantages of attack or defence are different.

I think the issue here is the understanding of the rule. Often the driver or the team has given the position back, preemptively. Perhaps going forward there should be an agreement and an understanding amongst all drivers that race control and stewards makes the decision and the driver is under no obligation to do so until told directly by race control.

In theory, that is likely the understanding already in place but perhaps all drivers need to be reminded of it.

It's very clear cut when the driver gains a place by going off the track. But when the benefit is in defence it isn't so clear, so I would expect any driver to drop back a place in that circumstance unless told to do so by the stewards.

Hasney

I think the issue here is the understanding of the rule. Often the driver or the team has given the position back, preemptively. Perhaps going forward there should be an agreement and an understanding amongst all drivers that race control and stewards makes the decision and the driver is under no obligation to do so until told directly by race control.

I like Vettel and I can understand his frustration with Danny coming up behind him so quickly but...Max only has to move when race control tells him to do so.

They do usually ask race control for a definitive answer if they feel it's marginal, but it was so close to the end, there likely wasn't time to review.

If you've watched F1 for any length of time you'd know that it's consistent that advantages of pure time aren't considered unless corners are explicitly noted in the drivers' briefing. Advantages of attack or defence are different.

Also that first corners of a race are much more lenient as keeping on the track at all costs could be much more dangerous.

NewDust

Wonder if they'll take into account the fact that Max should have given his place back and therefore shouldn't have been in that battle or not.

You don't give a position back you never lost. Now whether or not he would be 2nd before is excursion in the Mexican grasslands is debatable.

The Verstappen hate in this thread has become so insane that posts that resemble troll posts in every way are in most cases actually the genuine thoughts of some deranged manchild.

Max is insanely talented and he's a joy to watch in most races, but the shit he pulled today is unacceptable. People aren't HATING, people are pissed off because he douchebagged hard, got called out for doing so and sort of flipped Seb off.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Formula One culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it....

As it should, I expect Max to either change his ways in the near future or he won't even sniff a world championship.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Imagine the fight for the championship would end like this, and not just a fight for P3.

There wasn't which is why he gained an advantage, he locked up and missed the corner completely yet he exited the corner well ahead of the cars who were behind him directly, how is that not an advantage?

Imagine he'd done that in the first corner at Monza, he would have had to drive around bumps and would come out behind the first two atleast.

He gained an advantage, but only temporarily, i.e. he could have given it back by simply driving slower. I think he was about to do that, but then the safety car came out and it didn't matter anymore. This happens on all kinds of tracks and drivers never get penalty for doing this - unless they are defending or attacking and gain a place (/not lose one).

I'm totally of the opinion that tracks should be designed to punish these kinds of mistakes, btw., but Mexico simply isn't.

Has there been any other instances of this where there have been 3 cars?

The Ves rule has usually involved Ves and 1 other person. The onboard footage has Vet following Ves and Ric getting caught out as a result.

Aiii

So not worth it
You don't give a position back you never lost. Now whether or not he would be 2nd before is excursion in the Mexican grasslands is debatable.
Honestly, cannot blame Max and RBR for giving it a shot. Esp with Lewis not getting a penalty earlier. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain with Danny there.

How is that not an advantage of defence, Nico and Max were literally on his rear wing?

DieH@rd

Banned
Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| Here's a message for Charlie:
middlefingericon.png

He gained an advantage, but only temporarily, i.e. he could have given it back by simply driving slower. I think he was about to do that, but then the safety car came out and it didn't many anymore.

I'm totally of the opinion that tracks should be designed to punish these kinds of mistakes, btw., but Mexico simply isn't.

If he would have done that then fair enough, but he got really lucky there.

Ah, RIC had all the place in the world, he wasn't forced of the track. RB is actually complaining that ROS wasn't punished because he didn't give VES 2rd place in lap 1 after VES forced him off track. What a bunch of jerks.

Antagon

Is there any chance of Vettel getting a time penalty for moving under braking and Verstappen and Ricciardo finishing in front of him in the end? Would make the drama even better.

Not as big as the bullshit your man Schumacher was involved in at the 2002 USGP.

You're probably right, Schumacher pulled some fucked up shit in his time. But that comes at a cost, Schumacher is still a pretty divisive driver because of this stuff instead of being considered the unanimous GOAT like Michael Jordan or something.

tonka

Rosberg also cut the corner.

the thing was Rosberg's steering wheel had pointed to the right at some point, and he had to avoid VES, and he went as far as he could towards turn 2 before cutting it.

HAM was acting almost as if the track just went straight from 1 to 3 in a nice gentle curve

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Is there any chance of Vettel getting a time penalty for moving under braking and Verstappen and Ricciardo finishing in front of him in the end? Would make the drama even better.

I doubt he'd get a penalty for that tbh, as you could make the reasonable argument that Vettel was attacking Verstappen and not trying to defend from Ricciardo.

shas'la

RIC is on point. There's a blatant problem on inconsistency enforcing the rules.

Like this is a massive revelation lol it's been like that for decades I don't think that's going to change if you keep rotating stewards every race. Everyone has a differing opinion and experience to draw upon.

FuturusX

You're probably right, Schumacher pulled some fucked up shit in his time. But that comes at a cost right, Schumacher is still a pretty divisive driver because of it instead of being considered the unanimous GOAT like Michael Jordan or something.

MJ tried his hand at F1 too? Basketball, baseball and F1 is there nothing this GOD cannot do?

Patrick S.

Banned
Max is insanely talented and he's a joy to watch in most races, but the shit he pulled today is unacceptable. People aren't HATING, people are pissed off because he douchebagged hard, got called out for doing so and sort of flipped Seb off.

As it should, I expect Max to either change his ways in the near future or he won't even sniff a world championship.

He obviously has the talent, or else he wouldn't be where he is today. He has repeatedly endangered his own and other people's lives with his dangerous driving, he doesn't give a damn about proper sportsmanship, and he's incapable of ever showing any humbleness or admitting he made a mistake.

Top Bottom