• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Surprised they used the GT layout, I half expected them to use the late 80's short layout

It would be too short I imagine. The pole in 1989 was 1:08 and doing a rough comparison between the 89 and 16 Japanese GP, pole would be about 1 minute flat for this years cars and adding the fact that next years cars will be significantly faster they'd probably lap the Saubers 10 times!

Zeknurn

Kobayashi tweeted this:
CzKMZ70VIAAdR0d.jpg:orig

Baku is the best city circuit in the F1 calander.

Fight me.

Well, that isn't a hard title to get because Monaco is shit. Also, while the first Baku race was great, lets give it one or two more races before we decide if it's good.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm fine with that layout.

First F1 Baku race was kinda meh after the excitement in GP3 and GP2 tbh.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
There's no footage of the incident, but Inoue's other safety car incident was at Monaco. He was being towed back to the pits after spinning out at the end of Saturday practice when a course car struck him from behind at the pool section. This somehow flipped the car with Inoue still inside. He was carried off by marshals and the car was written off.

5.jpg

Safetycar-Clio_Ragnotti.jpg

Wasn't 1995 even that year with two Japan GPs in a row?

Japanese companies sure were trying to push F1 in Japan if only the driver pool of F1 drivers wasn't so sucky.

Patrick S.

Banned
There's no footage of the incident, but Inoue's other safety car incident was at Monaco. He was being towed back to the pits after spinning out at the end of Saturday practice when a course car struck him from behind at the pool section. This somehow flipped the car with Inoue still inside. He was carried off by marshals and the car was written off.

5.jpg

Safetycar-Clio_Ragnotti.jpg

Damn, a Maxi Clio :( That was my dream car.

Danny on 2017:
Is it going to be very different?

DR: I think so. If it’s similar to the speeds I was hitting while testing in 2009-2010 then it’s a significant step up. To cut a long story short, if we retain the leanness we have now with our body weight, we might struggle physically. I think everyone will be putting on a few kilos to cope with the forces. To put numbers on it. If next year is 100 per cent of our physical strength, then this year we’ve been at 75 per cent.

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/daniels-debrief

Fuckkk. I remember at the start of this past season he was complaining about being pressed to lose weight too.

DBT85

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-giving-lewis-hamilton-orders-at-abu-dhabi-gp

Mercedes should have communicated differently in Abu Dhabi says Toto

"In the heat of the moment, sometimes when you make decisions you get them wrong," Wolff told Sky Sports F1

"In our mind, the way we think, this race is giving us the same number of points as other races and we try to win that one, not considering that there was much more at stake for the drivers.

"How the race panned out, we should have communicated differently and in hindsight let them race in the way they deemed to be appropriate."

Hamilton won't be involved in picking the driver

"It is like many other employees," Wolff added when asked if Hamilton could choose who is next team-mate is. "We will give Lewis the information once we've come to a point where we think it's a sensible decision and then inform him."

"He has been a great pillar in the team's success," he added. "When he came, everything changed, so he has played a role.

"It's very important to keep him in a good place. The dynamics between the two drivers is one of the factors we will consider."

Aiii

So not worth it
Top on-track overtakers this season:
1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 21 - 99
2 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 21 - 75
3 Sergio Pérez Force India 21 - 66
4 Fernando Alonso McLaren 20 - 60
5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 21 - 58
6 Romain Grosjean Haas F1 Team 21 - 54
7 Valtteri Bottas Williams 21 - 53
7 Felipe Massa Williams 21 - 53
9 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 21 - 52
9 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso 21 - 52
11 Jenson Button McLaren 21 - 49

Total on-track overtakes: 1030

DD

Globo is saying that despite of what he said, Lewis did vetoed Alonso on Mercedes. And it seems that Pascal signed a 1 year deal yesterday for that seat.

Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes according it.motorsport.com

The technical manager of the Mercedes, Paddy Lowe, left the world champion team after three world drivers and constructors titles. The Englishman of 53 years did not find an economic agreement for the renewal.

DBT85

Fast edit ;)

Globo is saying that despite of what he said, Lewis did vetoed Alonso on Mercedes. And it seems that Pascal signed a 1 year deal yesterday for that seat.

What is a globo?

Also since we'll never know whether he did or not, people will just assume that he did and react accordingly lol.

Aiii

So not worth it

Does anyone really think anything that comes out of Lewis' mouth is the truth? I find that hard to believe.

DBT85

Globo is the biggest Brazilian media group. They're airing Formula 1 for more than 40 years and have their sources/insiders. So they're kind of trustworthy, I think. :p

I see.

They could be, but then Toto said they'll make a decision and then tell Lewis, Lewis said he doesn't care, and Briatore said Alonso will honour his Mclaren contract.

Meh, people will believe what they want to believe.

DD

I see.

They could be, but then Toto said they'll make a decision and then tell Lewis, Lewis said he doesn't care, and Briatore said Alonso will honour his Mclaren contract.

The swiss 'Blick', on the other hand, says that the 3 names on Merc's list are: Lonso, Bottas and Wehrlein.

Aiii

So not worth it
I see.

People whose interviews I trust less than Lewis Hamilton's: Toto Wolff. Monisha Kaltenborn. In that order.

Top on-track overtakers this season:
1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 21 - 99
2 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 21 - 75
3 Sergio Pérez Force India 21 - 66
4 Fernando Alonso McLaren 20 - 60
5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 21 - 58
6 Romain Grosjean Haas F1 Team 21 - 54
7 Valtteri Bottas Williams 21 - 53
7 Felipe Massa Williams 21 - 53
9 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 21 - 52
9 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso 21 - 52
11 Jenson Button McLaren 21 - 49

Total on-track overtakes: 1030

Nice list, everything seems to be about where I'd expect it. I'd call this list the better half of the current drivers too (barring Mercedes, ofc).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes according it.motorsport.com

Well, he will enjoy the atmosphere in Ferrari, that is certain. Or maybe he is going back to Mclaren, now that Ron is gone. Williams is also possible destination...
Also that would mean that Allison will be joining Mercedes soon

Does anyone really think anything that comes out of Lewis' mouth is the truth? I find that hard to believe.

Quite. Not like he doesn't have history on this sort of thing.

That said, I think he'd handle Alonso reasonably easily, so who knows why he wouldn't want him there.

DBT85

Lewis fired Paddy!
Man don't even joke lol

i gotta feeling Paddy will be Mclaren bound

The only reports I can see are suggesting he had an offer from a rival team and that was making his talks with Merc more interesting. It also said McLaren said they were not interested in Paddy.

Wouldn't he need to do wait one year before joining another team?
Depends on his contract. If it says he can't compete then yes, but a) it might not be in the contract or b) Merc might waive it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Only if Mercedes pays him for another year, since you can't legally enforce a non-compete that makes it impossible for a person to make a living. (Yes, this also counts if you make a lot of money like Paddy Lowe would.)

I have never seen anyone in any position of authority have a less authoritative presence than Paddy Lowe. He just looks and acts like a complete ditherer.

Top Bottom