• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I have never seen anyone in any position of authority have a less authoritative presence than Paddy Lowe. He just looks and acts like a complete ditherer.

He's an engineer. A very very good engineer who was promoted out of what he was good at.

Aiii

So not worth it
RBR's Christmas card:
15390770_1220042034740775_6224771311226181356_n.jpg

Zeknurn

As expected, BBC is reporting that Mercedes' first choice is Bottas but Williams doesn't want to release him even for a €10m power unit discount. Because they don't want to be in a situation with no experienced drivers.
Wehrlein is out because he doesn't have any experience.
Their sources also say that Red Bull is prepared to release Sainz if Mercedes comes asking for him.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38282791

They should definitely go for Sainz.

DBT85

I don't think Mercedes would be in a situation where Lowe would be able to leave without gardening leave.

His contract is expiring, he not leaving mid contract. Not sure you can have an expiry date on a contract and then tell people what they can do after that date??

Aiii

So not worth it
If Bottas isn't available to them, then yes, definitely should be Sainz, a bit green still, but no doubt every bit as good as Rosberg was in that seat.

Fisico

If Bottas isn't available to them, then yes, definitely should be Sainz, a bit green still, but no doubt every bit as good as Rosberg was in that seat.

Why would they want to release Sainz for Mercedes now and they didn't want to release him for Renault a few months ago?
I must be missing something there.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why would they want to release Sainz for Mercedes now and they didn't want to release him for Renault a few months ago?
I must be missing something there.

Because RBR aren't heartless. Maybe Sainz did not want to go to Renault, it would hardly make a difference with STR at any rate. But deny him an opportunity at a top team, knowing full well there is no place for him at RBR through 2018? Seems unlikely.

Besides, Merc owing you a favor? They will like that, as well.

DBT85

Apparently you can:

Hmm, that's not saying gardening leave, that's saying he needs to serve 6 months notice which would then obviously become gardening leave. If your contract ends then it ends, you don't serve notice on a contract that's expoired. Lowes contract was reported to end this year. Interesting to see how this one plays out.

Maybe Merc let him go immediately (since he won't be able to affect this seasons car as much anyway) plus the engine deal in return for Bottas.

The other interesting thing from that for me is that Merc might well get Allison.

Lowe is set to be replaced at the world champions by former Ferrari technical director James Allison.

John_B

The situation must be bitter for Bottas. Sainz would be a good option for Mercedes. I doubt he can match Hamilton, but he won't be picked apart by rivals from Ferrari and Red Bull.

If #blessed is happy on social media, you know it's fucking Bottas

Luke Smith ‏@LukeSmithF1 2h2 hours ago
New post from @LewisHamilton on IG, has had “an amazing meeting” with Toto Wolff. “We’re gonna bring the strongest partnership next year."

#blessed 2017 WDC

DBT85

I literally only just signed up to twitter but I can;t see a stories section anywhere lol

From the NBC article

“Hi everyone, we’re in Toto’s kitchen. We just had an amazing meeting,” Hamilton said in the first video.

“I just wanted to send you all a message out, let you know that we’re going to be the strongest partnership next year, and we look forward to fighting for this championship again. Hope you’re all well.”

Wolff added in the second video: “Hi everybody. We spent a good couple of hours together, we had a really fantastic meeting.

“We’ll be coming back so strong in 2017.”

I'd be content with Bottas in the seat. Alonso or Vettel would be more fun and arguably better, but Bottas is good and I think he deserves a fast car to show what he can really do.

EDIt: just seen the videos, Toto is trying not to giggle.

I just hope to hell Red Bull and Ferrari (lol) up their game next year. I can't deal with another season of one team with complete dominance, especially the sort of dominance Merc has had the last two years.

Fisico

Pierre Gasly won the GP2 championship and needs a seat.

He was always in a position to win the GP2 championship this year.

Because RBR aren't heartless. Maybe Sainz did not want to go to Renault, it would hardly make a difference with STR at any rate. But deny him an opportunity at a top team, knowing full well there is no place for him at RBR through 2018? Seems unlikely.

Besides, Merc owing you a favor? They will like that, as well.

Sainz not wanting to go to Renault would be an explanation but that's clearly not what we heard.
One could say that letting one of your driver go to your main opponent and multi world champion instead of a midfield team in the process of rebuilding is kinda odd.
I like the gentleman agreement explanation but why do it for Merc and not Renault? Which one is their partner and put the engine in your cars?

xrnzaaas

Bottas would be a good safe pick for Mercedes. He's experienced, a good points scorer. Question is how much they can pay Williams to get him (or rather how big of an engine discount they can offer them ;)).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bottas would be a good safe pick for Mercedes. He's experienced, a good points scorer. Question is how much they can pay Williams to get him (or rather how big of an engine discount they can offer them ;)).

Plus who would take the seat a Williams? Another rookie?

xrnzaaas

Yeah this could be a bad situation for everyone except for Mercedes. Williams could struggle with scoring points and developing a car having two rookies on board. Bottas would risk losing his seat in 1-2 years after Wehrlein gains more xp (or when drivers like Alonso are Vettel are free). It really depends on how desperate Williams is to get that extra money.

nekkid

Is there a more boring driver on the grid than Bottas?

Never does particularly badly. Never does particularly well. Just...dull.

dubc35

Is there a more boring driver on the grid than Bottas?

Never does particularly badly. Never does particularly well. Just...dull.

Williams had a decent car out of the gate with this formula. It seems like they have not been able to develop it though. I'd like to see what he can do in a better car (Mercedes or otherwise).

nekkid

Williams had a decent car out of the gate with this formula. It seems like they have not been able to develop it though. I'd like to see what he can do in a better car (Mercedes or otherwise).

Yeah, but there's plenty of character and action in the midfield, but Bottas is just kinda...there. He just fails to make any kind of impression.

Top Bottom