• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

RBR is playing mindgames. They even started whining about Mercedes using irregular tricks during qualifying. They really seem to believe they are in contention this year, because why bother creating another cold war? (last one was Renault vs. Ferrari during Schummy/Alonso years where Briatore and Todt accused each other each weekend (mass dampers, sticky substance on tyres, electronic aids, it was glorious)

NASCAR is always tweaking their format, I admire that.

It's all about the show in the end.

Well I'm not so sure I would want to go the NASCAR way with playoffs and the last race being the ultimate decision for the championship ignoring the entire rest of the season. And now we have the races split into 3 parts with artificial yellows between each. F1 fans would go ballistic if they tried this type of rules and rightfully so.

DBT85

If anyone is going to be breaking the rules it will be Red Bull for my money. Over the last 5 years or so they have demonstrated that they'll do anything possible.

1:20.1 by Bottas, shots fired. We're gonna reach that sweet 1:19 soon.

On the soft too and a 6 lap stint, boxed for Supers and headed back out.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Isn't the rumour going round that Red Bull haven't had their car inspected, so I doubt it's them. Probably Mercedes.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Where's the "Honda and Shame are huge parts of it" threadtitle when I need it

Omg, that has to be the official 2017 OT title.

Also, Alonso set a time, even though Honda said they weren't going to this morning. And, and, AND it was as fast as his 2016 qualifying time, on the same tyres.

I...don't even.

ETA to engine change: 20 minutes.

ramparter

Banned
Omg, that has to be the official 2017 OT title.

Also, Alonso set a time, even though Honda said they weren't going to this morning. And, and, AND it was as fast as his 2016 qualifying time, on the same tyres.

I...don't even.

ETA to engine change: 20 minutes.

It will be disappointing if he doesn't go at least 2-3 seconds below his 2016 qualifying time.

Stop It

It will be disappointing if he doesn't go at least 2-3 seconds below his 2016 qualifying time.
Prepare to be disappointed.

Alonso hasn't been seen since! I fully expect an announcement that this unexpected lap has totalled the poor Honda engine and indeed needs a new one. Poor thing can't be expected to actually run quickly after all.

God I'm becoming way too cynical.

Isn't the rumour going round that Red Bull haven't had their car inspected, so I doubt it's them. Probably Mercedes.

Yes, but it's also been said there a majority of teams in favour of these systems being legal, which I don't see unless they're using them.

Stop It

Will McLaren finally be able to unleash the 1500hp beast today?
Alonso has been out again and has went faster! Hold onto your hats.

Also Bottas, not even on Ultra Soft and on day 3 of testing. Boom. We are going to see 1:18 by the end of the next test.

Goldrusher

Oh wow.

Hello darkness my old friend,
Honda fucked it up again,
We had a vision of a great season,
It's painted orange for that reason,
But the engine that was planted in our car,
Still won't start,
And our garage - it's silent.

C5xVTSGWUAIpnwn.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/5wrhis/prodromous_face_says_it_all/decjptt/

Hackbert

12:17 I know the Mercedes has broken into the 1m19s bracket on super-softs, but watching at the fast Turn 9 right-hander the Ferrari doing 1m21s on mediums still looks the most impressive car to me. It just looks so stable and consistent.
Gary Anderson

Seems the Scuderia will have an interesting year, if Merc is not sandbagging. but it seems ferrari are.

Jezbollah

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Older, Better, Faster, Stronger (or if Honda: Newer, Worse, Slower, Weaker).

Just putting that out there.

sTiTcH AU

It's only testing, and its obviously too hard to tell who is doing what...but Ricciardo's time on the softs compared to Bottas' ultra soft time has me very hopeful compared to day 1 and 2.

kmag

If Gary keeps willing it forward as much as he is doing right now his meraki might just propel it to the front :p

From what I've seen Anderson is right, the Ferrari does look really stable when cornering, but that's only part of the equation.

Jibbed

Bottas has been notably messier than Hamilton over the past 3 days though. I expect Lewis will show us more of what that car can do this afternoon.

Razgreez

Bottas has been notably messier than Hamilton over the past 3 days though. I expect Lewis will show us more of what that car can do this afternoon.

The mantra needs to be "it's only testing". Nobody is really going to be showing what they can do. Well except maybe McLaren - who will be showing what their car can't do

Zeknurn

The mantra needs to be "it's only testing". Nobody is really going to be showing what they can do. Well except maybe McLaren - who will be showing what their car can't do

No team is going to make their car less stable just to hide what they're are doing. That would defeat the purpose of testing.

Zeknurn

There's a silly rumour going around the paddock that McLaren has spoken to another power unit manufacturer for a supply of power units for this season.

The source is allegedly Alonso which means we're in for another season of entertainment.

BigAl1992

There's a silly rumour going around the paddock that McLaren has spoken to another power unit manufacturer for a supply of power units for this season.

The source is allegedly Alonso which means we're in for another season of entertainment.

Please, no. Not because I want to see them suffer, which I don't, but changing engines mid-season will only cause headaches for the engineers. Remember, these chassis are designed around the engine at the back, not the other way round.

Oh, and that post from reddit is pure fire, like the Honda engine will be at Bahrain.

DBT85

lol.

It would be hilarious, but there is no way it would happen.

Zaru

I unironically think McLaren would do better this season with a late Tag Heuer or whatever slapped into the chassis.
I mean, there IS precedent for a team winning the championship after slapping a better engine into a Honda-spec car, so....

Stop It

I'm impressed by the Renault. A full 3 seconds quicker than their qualifying 2016 time on the Soft tyre.

Even Sauber have made significant gains. Looks like the promise of these cars being significantly faster may well be realised.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I unironically think McLaren would do better this season with a late Tag Heuer or whatever slapped into the chassis.
I mean, there IS precedent for a team winning the championship after slapping a better engine into a Honda-spec car, so....

A different time, though.

It's not just the ICE anymore, all the rest of the power train has to squeeze in without overheating.

DBT85

Well, that's now 5 cars that have beaten last years pole time. Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, Ferrari and Sauber.

And Stroll manages to find the gravel after the flag has gone to end the session.

Stop It

Please, no. Not because I want to see them suffer, which I don't, but changing engines mid-season will only cause headaches for the engineers. Remember, these chassis are designed around the engine at the back, not the other way round.

Oh, and that post from reddit is pure fire, like the Honda engine will be at Bahrain.
Well apparently Honda have tried to copy the Mercedes so why stick with the imitation?

At this point McLaren would be better off with a 2016 Mercedes engine. It won't happen but Honda really really need to buck up.

Aiii

So not worth it
Stroll appears to have parked the Williams in the gravel. It has just been picked up by CCTV.

Hope they have spare parts this time, Massa is never going to get to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom