• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Hope they have spare parts this time, Massa is never going to get to drive.

Well, during first round of testing he indeed won't drive anymore:

C50rOIiWgAEcYvN.jpg

Stroll pays, Stroll spins, Stroll demands.

Ark

Consensus seems to be that the Ferrari is very stable and planted in corners over long runs. That's good. That's very good.

Mercedes looking a little oversteers/understeery at the moment.

I'm getting excited for a Ferrari challenge.

h3ro

Looks like the Mclaren is only capable of 5 to 6 lap stints at this point. Not sure if they can glean any data from those stints.

The mileage all the teams outside of Macca are compiling is damn impressive though.

Ark

Looks like the Mclaren is only capable of 5 to 6 lap stints at this point. Not sure if they can glean any data from those stints.

The mileage all the teams outside of Macca are compiling is damn impressive though.

It's almost unbelievable how woefully unprepared Honda has been coming into this new engine era.

At least there's unrestricted engine development this year. Once they get going I imagine they'll grease up the ol' coin machine and catch up relatively quickly.

Or they won't.

operon

Mercedes looking great , with Ferrari looking good but with no idea how close they are. not sure about Red Bull with Mclaren in the doldrums. You have to ask the question what the hell have Honda done

Ark

Mercedes looking great , with Ferrari looking good but with no idea how close they are. not sure about Red Bull with Mclaren in the doldrums. You have to ask the question what the hell have Honda done

Nothing.

The answer is nothing 😂😂

kiyomi

Consensus seems to be that the Ferrari is very stable and planted in corners over long runs. That's good. That's very good.

Mercedes looking a little oversteers/understeery at the moment.

I'm getting excited for a Ferrari challenge.

Is it really the consensus or is it just Gary Anderson saying it over and over again? :p

spuckthew

Is it really the consensus or is it just Gary Anderson saying it over and over again? :p

That's what I'm thinking. Hamilton said the car feels "so much better than last year" after his afternoon session on Monday. I'm not saying that Gary doesn't know a thing or two about Formula 1, but I think a driver would have a pretty good idea of where his car is compared to a bystander.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I really want to watch F1, but how do I watch it if I don't want to have cable?

Is there any way to watch it online?

kmag

That's what I'm thinking. Hamilton said the car feels "so much better than last year" after his afternoon session on Monday. I'm not saying that Gary doesn't know a thing or two about Formula 1, but I think a driver would have a pretty good idea of where the car is compared to a bystander.

Hamilton isn't going to come out saying "it's meh" is he? They're all basically hype guys at the moment.

Zaru

Vettel just broke into 1:19 on softs. Those 1:18s are gonna break once a top team puts on ultras and actually tries.

Theorry

"Watching Vettel through Turn 1-3 is definitely my 'wow' factor of the day. The Ferrari is just planted and, even on used tyres, it doesn't budge one millimetre off line."

Theorry

"13:11 It's not completely surprising to see Stroll in the gravel again. Watching him trackside he looks OK, but isn't completely confident in the car and he keeps on fidgeting with it trying to fix the problems that aren't really there. He's correcting when the car will sort itself out, so he needs to relax a little bit and not white knuckle it. You could say he's got too tight a grasp on the steering wheel.
Gary Anderson"

"13:11 It's not completely surprising to see Stroll in the gravel again. Watching him trackside he looks OK, but isn't completely confident in the car and he keeps on fidgeting with it trying to fix the problems that aren't really there. He's correcting when the car will sort itself out, so he needs to relax a little bit and not white knuckle it. You could say he's got too tight a grasp on the steering wheel.
Gary Anderson"

16:17 Looking at where the car has ended up, it seems that Stroll lost the rear of the car exiting Turn 5 and spun into the barrier.

h3ro

Jeez. This 'find the next Verstappen' thirst is so real that Williams is willing to lose such valuable data gathering and reliability testing time to get this kid more laps and *some* experience with a powerful car.

edit: ALONSO UP TO 50 LAPS!!! WOOOOO!!!

Ark

From what I'm reading on Twitter from journalists and pundits alike. If the Ferrari was dog-shit on track, we'd already know about it.

I'm sure Mercedes's reported squirreling (if there even is any) is just a setup issue.

Ark

Jeez. This 'find the next Verstappen' thirst is so real that Williams is willing to lose such valuable data gathering and reliability testing time to get this kid more laps and *some* experience with a powerful car.

That's not a case of 'finding Verstappen 2.0', that's a case of 'finding a driver who'll pay out the ass for a drive'.

Aiii

So not worth it
I like that he went in nose first since they had to fly in a front wing yesterday because they didn't have any spares.

Maybe they can borrow a Merc front wing for tomorrow?

Aiii

So not worth it
The problem is that Stroll seems to be unable to catch the car. Plenty of people had moments.

e2eadc21-ebb6-4c09-a38e-c5f59c96934d_800.jpg

Mastah

Good to see these new cars are more difficult to drive than abominations we had last few years. The closer to the limit of absolute downforce and grip, the harder it is. As K-Mag said:

"With the old cars and last year's cars it's been more a compromise. Your driving style was very compromised with tyres, limited grip and a lot of power, so a lot of wheel spin. [The 2017] cars will hopefully be more about finding the limit.

"It's hopefully going to be more of challenge to get the car to the limit and then the compromise will be less of a worry, That's my hope anyway. It's more enjoyable to drive a car that you really have to push hard and extract everything from rather than thinking all the time what is the right compromise."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom