• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Strolled in the gravel

Posting image for continued use during the season:

299812.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
New parts probably, they took it apart and put it together with some things changed yesterday as well.

Theorry

Oh boy.

McLaren can't complain about a lack of Honda power. Alonso just can't get on the throttle properly between Turn 2 and Turn 3 because of a lack of overall grip. There's plenty more of the old gee-gees available if the chassis was stronger.
Gary Anderson

DBT85

Is it too late for Luca's 'three car' formula so we can stick Fernando in a Merc?

If Bottas is no good, I could see them getting Alonso for next season maybe. He said they contacted him but he wanted to stay with McLaren. Can't imagine doing the same if they have another terrible season.

72 laps today though, so at least they've got some data. The problem of course is that's all they've got because no other cars are running that engine.

Vettel stopped on the pit straight, red flag. Thank god, I was worried I wouldn't be able to use these.
3BZH4fj.gif

1qJyxa9.gif

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Hopefully the Ferrari stopping on the straight is just a fuel run out test.

Does it matter, really? Even if it's more serious, now is the right time to find out.

That's what McLaren are doing - finding all their problems now before a flawless season.

Zeknurn

Does it matter, really? Even if it's more serious, now is the right time to find out.

That's what McLaren are doing - finding all their problems now before a flawless season.

Mercedes set the bar last year with a flawless test. I expect nothing less from Ferrari.

DBT85

Well, if its something they knew would happen anyway then its all a-ok. IE, the engine was EOL (shouldn't be this early) or low fuel.

Obviously if its a PU component that's failed then while its better to find out now and in the last 2 mins of a test, it could still be a problem depending on what it was.

The fact that it was so close to the end would suggest they'd just put enough fuel in it to run out.

Ark

Re: Alonso being contacted by Mercedes; literally everyone was contacted by Mercedes. Alonso has already said that it was nothing more than a coat check.

That said, Bottas is on a one-year contract for a very good reason.

BigAl1992

Stroll better learn fast with that Williams, otherwise he's in for a world of pain for this season. The lap times and the way the cars are handling out on track, on the other hand, is music to my fucking ears. Records up for grabs? Cars are unforgiving is you show respect? Full pace through the corners? Now this is formula one.

Edit: Here's the lap times;

C52ZK4UXQAE9kGN.jpg

Fox Mulder

I think that settles it. Stroll is the new Maldonado.

Maldonado at least won gp2. Putting a kid in these cars is ridiculous, but he brings lots of cash a lower team needs.

Max was brought up by redbullls junior program pretty quickly, but he still had to sit in a toro rosso for a year and a half.

DBT85

That's a 1:19.548 lap. 2.5 secs faster than the 2016 pole. And we're all expecting a bit faster yet.

Delicious.

Dilly

Banned
Maldonado at least won gp2. Putting a kid in these cars is ridiculous, but he brings lots of cash a lower team needs.

Max was brought up by redbullls junior program pretty quickly, but he still had to sit in a toro rosso for a year and a half.

And with cars that are 4s faster.

Williams performing in the aero and grip sectors? What insanity is this? Goes to show how much grip the wider tyres give, though, if even Williams is 2 seconds faster in the final sector vs the best time of last year. Also suggests others have plenty of time left to gain.

Can we bring back that old goofy rule of free DRS use during qualifying for one year? I want records set at every single track.

Late edit: I'm an idiot. Please ignore.

Aiii

So not worth it

Max was also pretty exceptional, and certainly not a benchmark for most of the drivers his age.

Still, it's early days so lets give the kid some benefit of the doubt. Three times in two days is a lot, but we'll see.

Mastah

Williams performing in the aero and grip sectors? What insanity is this? Goes to show how much grip the wider tyres give, though, if even Williams is 2 seconds faster in the final sector vs the best time of last year. Also suggests others have plenty of time left to gain.

Ehm... how to say it... Bottas drives for Mercedes, not Williams.

Mastah

Oof. Point taken. I'm an idiot. Didn't realize I was this desperate for Williams to stop being awful.

Don't worry. Everyone could make such mistake, because apparently Williams has autonomous car in their hands:

“The feedback on today is Lance was out on cold medium tyres on an out lap, a lot of fuel in the car, and the tyre stepped away from him and he was an innocent victim of that happening. What should have been a fairly little, innocuous, sideways moment brought him around into the barrier and there was some damage. But that happens and we expect it to happen. There’s no blame on his part, obviously.”

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/03/...roll-for-crash-but-team-may-not-run-tomorrow/

"No blame on your part, obviously. BTW. It's nice that your father pays tens of millions to us. Keep doing what you are doing and if something happens, you are an innocent victim. Obviously. PS. Did I say how much we appreciate dough from your dad?"

Theorry

Its weird they first said it happened because of a "issue with the car" like something broke.
I didnt really believe that also. Guess they are protecting him abit. Wich is expected.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you really dislike Stroll and he hasn't even had one race yet.

I said I was going to blindly defend him, haha SDF!

Hope he doesn't kill anyone....

Ark

There's a snippet of an interview with Seb up on the F1 Facebook page that gives the impression that Ferrari aren't anywhere near as good as they look.

Sandbags I say!

Zaru

I love how they're gonna spray the whole track with water tomorrow and let the drivers find the point where wets should be swapped with intermediates and then dry weather tyres.

After the complaints about the wet tyres of last year, I wonder if Pirelli got it right this time.

Mohonky

There's a snippet of an interview with Seb up on the F1 Facebook page that gives the impression that Ferrari aren't anywhere near as good as they look.

Sandbags I say!

Well yeh, I have a feeling Ferrari have come with or close to the full packagez where Mercedes is doing their usual 'punch in the laps' routine to stress test and Redbull dont want to bring their full aero specced machine to precent anyone from getting any design cues.

Thats typically whats happen in pre-season testing

Past few years "it looks like the field is up there with Merc or very close" then Australia comes around "oh nope, our mistake"

Though I do think it will be closer this year.

Razgreez

After the complaints about the wet tyres of last year, I wonder if Pirelli got it right this time.

Michelin had years to get their wet tyres right and only managed to improve their dry weather tyre performance in the wet. Pirelli have been at this for years without any real improvement so I do not expect them to suddenly part the red sea.

Spladam

Was listening to a stream at work today, what's this I heard about track lap records being broken twice? Was I mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom