• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Fyi F1 2016 is on sale on PS4 in Europe. Lowest price so far I believe (23.79€), I'm probably going to buy it. :)

It's pretty good, their best in years. I put in like 8 years of the career mode until I got bored.

2017 won't be out until August/September, so you'll get plenty of mileage out of it still.

McLaren bought the right for it from Tom Walkinshaw Racing (which in itself was based off a nissan engine) that was meant for indycar racing, but never used. Interesting to note that it's developed with help from Ricardo plc. Then again, it's a V8, so how they'd managed to make a competitive V6 from it is another question.
So they can't turn off two valves and put it in the back of the F1 car or ask Nissan to make their engines? Granted the Nissan LMP1 engine was a disaster from what I've heard.

BigAl1992

So they can't turn off two valves and put it in the back of the F1 car or ask Nissan to make their engines? Granted the Nissan LMP1 engine was a disaster from what I've heard.

Well it doesn't help as well that was in a front engine, front wheel drive car in a category that was dominated by mid engine, 4WD cars.

Jezbollah

Have a friend who's at Barcelona. Said that the McLaren is really as bad as the coverage says - power unit sounds horrible and it's very noticeably down on top speed on the straights compared to everyone else.

It really is 2015 all over again.

Juicy Bob

Alonso was amazing

"No power, no reliability"

"30kmh down on the straights"

Is turn three flat in the car?

"Every corner is flat in this car..."

Alonso was amazing

lol

I'm a newish F1 fan; only been watching for 3 years. I only knew McLaren in their last season with Merc power so to me they've always been a middling/lower tier team to me. As a result, lots of the surprise of McHonda flailing about is wasted on me

BigAl1992

Alonso was amazing

Is that real, and if so, where did he say that?

lol

I'm a newish F1 fan; only been watching for 3 years. I only knew McLaren in their last season with Merc power so to me they've always been a middling/lower tier team to me. As a result, lots of the surprise of McHonda flailing about is wasted on me

Go look up McLaren on wikipedia, in particular their history in the 80's and 90's. Then compare it to their form over the last two decades, especially the years when they had Honda engines.

Is that real, and if so, where did he say that?

Go look up McLaren on wikipedia, in particular their history in the 80's and 90's. Then compare it to their form over the last two decades, especially the years when they had Honda engines.

Yeah, I know of their history and everything. But reading about something is different from experiencing it. I've watched McLaren flounder for 3 years watching every practice, quali, and race, but have only watched documentaries about their winning years. In my mind , they're basically two different teams. Which isn't far from the truth

Well it doesn't help as well that was in a front engine, front wheel drive car in a category that was dominated by mid engine, 4WD cars.
Yeah that choice made no sense. I thought it looked nice and wanted them to succeed, but it wasn't meant to be for them at all.
Yeah, I know of their history and everything. But reading about something is different from experiencing it. I've watched McLaren flounder for 3 years watching every practice, quali, and race, but have only watched documentaries about their winning years. In my mind , they're basically two different teams. Which isn't far from the truth
Hamilton got out just in fucking time. Remembering all the "Hamilton made a mistake" press is some hilarious ass shit in hindsight.

BigAl1992

In his press conference after the session. I was there.

I said "God Damn, Son"! Do us a favour and if you have a summary that expands on what he said, put it up here because I'd love to know more about what he fired out, like the metal embers the Honda engine is currently spitting out.

EDIT@: Cheers for that, and damn, Alonso didn't hold back in the fire.

That's basically why every person who's been a long term fan of Formula One has viewed McLaren drop in performance and pace since 2015 so shocking. They're a team who for a long, long time, where even if they weren't winning championships, they were still well in the mix for the podium. The fact that they have dropped off a cliff like this is what makes it all the more bewildering on how they can't force Honda to make a better engine, who themselves were known to be a top-rate engine manufacture back in the day. The fact that Honda are not up to the task makes the combined lack in performance in the McLaren all the shocking because of their past history and more than ample wealth of talent in both companies. This situation simply shouldn't be happening.

xrnzaaas

It's pretty good, their best in years. I put in like 8 years of the career mode until I got bored.

2017 won't be out until August/September, so you'll get plenty of mileage out of it still.

Yeah it's downloading. I enjoyed the 2015 edition after a two year break from F1 games. Hoping to enjoy this one even more with the improved career mode. :)

h3ro

Nice.

Every time they go through the final chicane it makes me angry. Miss the old final corner.

Agreed. Every time I see a car dip in for the chicane, my instant reaction is that they've gone off or dipped a wheel onto the crub/grass.

Massa's comments regarding being stuck behind the Sauber and being unable to overtake properly even though he was 2 seconds faster are concerning.

Even as someone who doesn't care about McLaren, seeing them in the state they are right now hurts me.

At least a little bit.
Somewhere. Somewhat. Maybe.

Probably not, though.

Juicy Bob

Ericsson said something earlier that I found interesting.

He said his first test ever was in 2009 in a Brawn on Bridgestones, and he said he thinks this year was going to be a lot more like it was back then in terms of tyres.

Business

Agreed. Every time I see a car dip in for the chicane, my instant reaction is that they've gone off or dipped a wheel onto the crub/grass.

Massa's comments regarding being stuck behind the Sauber and being unable to overtake properly even though he was 2 seconds faster are concerning.

I also like the classic layout more but F1 aero rules are to blame. With two fast corners in the end we could possibly not even see T1 DRS overtaking.

DD

Like Ricciardo yesterday, Massa said that Williams isn't sandbagging, that that his time is close to what the car can produce. He said that they did the same last year and they couldn't be among the fastest laps. He also says that he's very happy with the car. I hope they can grab some podiums this year, or even a win, dreaming high. :p

Mastah

C6aiutwXQAE5010.jpg:large

C6alB61WcAA98b7.jpg:large

C5xRqJwXQAQkHhI.jpg:large

For comparison, 2016:

S1 - 22.370
S2 - 30.779
S3 - 28.736

2010:

S1 - 22.438
S2 - 29.843
S3 - 27.681

Mastah

Adam Cooper‏ @adamcooperF1

HAM: "This car... it's faster and it's more of a challenge to extract everything from it. I love that I get to do this."

Adam Cooper‏ @adamcooperF1

PER on tyres: "Low degradation makes them more fun to drive – you still have to manage them but you can push more than in previous years"

Aiii

So not worth it
You can see that HAM in 2016 had more confidence going into turn one and was actually ahead coming out of turn two but as soon as any aero dependent high speed corners came up i.e turn 3, it was all over.

I think just confidence in pushing the car and even setup alone can add another second to their times.

Yeah, or just the fact that they're on a long straight and Bottas has a tuned down engine.

Rolfgang

There is a dude at Honda being really embarassed that they are paying the dude $40 million to basically badmouth their cars

Well, if the car is shit, it's hard to stay positive. They pay the dude $40 million to race and win Grand Prixs, but you can't do that if the car can only drive twenty laps tops.

Jezbollah

There is a dude at Honda being really embarassed that they are paying the dude $40 million to basically badmouth their cars

They could be paying him $400m and still not be the entity that should be most embarrassed out of that "partnership".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom