• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

If that 2015 comparison isn't just a cynical hyperbole then their chassis has to be top tier to even remotely hang with the others.
Then again that could be the McLaren spin on it.

It's not a hyperbole, sadly:

Andrew Benson‏ @andrewbensonf1 20m20 minutes ago

Either the Honda is being run in a low mode, or it's dreadfully underpowered - Vandoorne 25km/h slower than quickest through speed trap

You know what is faster than that? GP2. Yeah.

edit: Wait a second:

C6VxzO4XMAADHKb.jpg:large

Yes, they are slower than the rest, but becuase Massa is so far ahead, the deficit is not that huge. It's 10kph, really.

DD

Ricciardo saying that they aren't sandbagging, and that they are behind Ferrari. He also bets that Mecedes will pick up speed, so he believes that these two teams are ahead of Red Bull. He is also surprised by Williams, and hopes that what Massa did today was the best his car can do, or else they'll be ahead of Red Bull too. Massa did his best time with supersofts, and Ricciardo did the second best time of the day with ultrasofts. Massa said that he's very happy with this car. He says that it fits better his driving style, where he can push hard for lots of laps instead of worrying about saving the tires like last year, when the tires could barely last one lap on the limit.

JDB

Banned
Ricciardo saying that they aren't sandbagging, and that they are behind Ferrari. He also bets that Mecedes will pick up speed, so he believes that these two teams are ahead of Red Bull. He is also surprised by Williams, and hopes that what Massa did today was the best his car can do, or else they'll be ahead of Red Bull too. Massa did his best time with supersofts, and Ricciardo did the second best time of the day with ultrasofts. Massa said that he's very happy with this car. He says that it fits better his driving style, where he can push hard for lots of laps instead of worrying about saving the tires like last year, when the tires could barely last one lap on the limit.
:/

ramparter

Banned
Redbull are very good at improving through the season. Even they start behi d Ferrari I expect then to be clearly ahead of them after 5-6 races. My only concern is if their engine enables them to close on Mercs.

Mohonky

Mind games.

paskowitz

Ferrari usually start out strong and then fade into irrelevancy. I don't think Ricciardo should worry.

Aiii

So not worth it

And then the fairy godmother appeared and fixed all of McHonda's issues, putting them ahead of RBR as well.

jey_16

Banned
Have to laugh at Hamilton's attempt there, Mercedes probably still have their car in practice mode

I expect when we get to Australia, they will be ahead of everyone as expected

Tubie

I don't see how this isn't hurting the Honda brand in some way.

You would think these people would get their shit together after 3 years of being embarrassed like this lol.

xptoxyz

Do we know how long McLaren has contracted Honda for?

Surely they must've set up clauses in which Honda must give them a competitive engine within a time frame...

In the event that they're able to split off Honda in the future, would they have a guaranteed buy opportunity on a customer engine program now that the rules changed after the Red Bull v. Renault ordeal?

Yagami_Sama

McLaren situation is pretty bad. I still don’t believe that they are having the issues of the previous seasons. Reading some new it is like the first year with the Honda Engine. If things keep like that, fixing one issue, and two more appears, the first 5 races of the season will be used for testing purposes and another horrible season.

Let’s see if all the pressure Boullier mentioned will have some effect. And also think that you should start to bet when Alonso will quit McLaren.

DBT85

Surely they must've set up clauses in which Honda must give them a competitive engine within a time frame...

In the event that they're able to split off Honda in the future, would they have a guaranteed buy opportunity on a customer engine program now that the rules changed after the Red Bull v. Renault ordeal?

Yes, they are guaranteed an engine. Can't remember how it would be decided who supplies them.

Massa

I don't see how this isn't hurting the Honda brand in some way.

You would think these people would get their shit together after 3 years of being embarrassed like this lol.

The fact that it's been three years is irrelevant when you throw out all previous work instead of learning from it.

jey_16

Banned
Honda is putting in quite a bit of money into McLaren with the engine deal. That's why they have been able to get away with having so few sponsors these last few years

Losing that as well as having to pay for a customer engine won't be cheap

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Same as what Hamilton is spouting about Ferrari being the strongest...

Probably he is going there after his contract ends at Mercedes

Apparently Bottas said yesterday that they could go much faster if they wanted, with different engine maps and lower fuel levels. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes is running heavy for majority of time

Mastah

10 years.

Honda is putting in quite a bit of money into McLaren with the engine deal. That's why they have been able to get away with having so few sponsors these last few years

Losing that as well as having to pay for a customer engine won't be cheap

Yeah, apparently it's 100 million euros per year.

Juicy Bob

So I arrived at the circuit this morning and Lance Stroll was being driven in a Mercedes behind me at the gate.

I had an Evil-Kermit moment of 'brake test him lol'

Aiii

So not worth it
Same as what Hamilton is spouting about Ferrari being the strongest...

...total bollocks.

It doesn't help that while RIC is saying this, he's all calm and relaxed and smiling. He's not angry, or anxious, despite all winter being "yeah, this is going to be the year we challenge for the WDC."

And then at the test he realizes that not only is Merc ahead of them, so are Ferrari, and then also Williams... And somehow he's not anxious. Or annoyed. Even RIC would be a little down if that was actually where RBR were at.

DBT85

So I arrived at the circuit this morning and Lance Stroll was being driven in a Mercedes behind me at the gate.

I had an Evil-Kermit moment of 'brake test him lol'

If I recall the "a dude grabbed my spoiler and I had an evil thought" thread from gaf not long ago, I think I have to tell you that you're a psycho. No bad thoughts evar! Lol.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Only one Mclaren lap so far, maybe it's time for another engine change.

There is simply too much power in that engine to allow normal running and it is breaking down constantly
No wonder that engine guy at Mclaren resigned.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
In Moto GP and other sports and in consumer products; Honda is known as quality engine engineers.

But their consumer products have been lackluster.So, I'm guessing this is just an ennui period for Honda in general?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Actually Honda engineers are struggling for the 3rd year in a row with creating good engine in MotoGP.

Yeah, they had issues with getting power to the wheels for last two seasons - because of it, bike turned into unstable mode under heavy acceleration

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
oh.
"I read some comments [about handling difficulties in Turns 1/2/3] and they are a bit like Trump 'fake news' - because it is not only chassis.

"Remember these engines are hybrid engines, which means when you are very early back on throttle you have electrical power which is on/off. And then you have a turbo as well at the back – so depending on your driveability there could also be some issues.
Three years of development.

I actually would have liked Honda to do a comeback. I like Honda.

Mastah

Best sector times from last test according to AMuS:

S1 Ferrari 23.074, Mercedes 23.099, Red Bull 23.444
S2 Mercedes 29.713, Ferrari 29.929, Renault 30.474, Red Bull slightly behind
S3 Mercedes 26.761, Ferrari 26.882, Red Bull 0.5s slower than Merc

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Well, that's one way to throw Honda under the bus.

Rough translation: "If Honda actually provided an engine, we could set up the car properly, but lol Honda".

And today they've done 24 laps, intentionally apparently. Not because the engine will blow up at 35 laps old, no nothing like that they just don't need any more track time because they've gained so much from the last week.

Double DNF at Australia confirmed

Massa 1:19.487 on ultrasofts.

Massa: Shots fired

Stroll: The car is too fast, that's why I crashed.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bottas: Nope not being beaten by my old team damnit.

1:19.310 on Super Soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom