• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolfgang

Meanwhile in Bernie's farewell party in London...

hpaets4oydky.png

Who in godsname thought that was a good idea? It's creepy as fuck...

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
If anyone is itching for some openwheel racing before Australia (and seeing Honda engines that aren't a complete disaster), the IndyCar season opener is this weekend at the St. Petersburg street circuit. Former F1 drivers Takuma Sato, Alexander Rossi and Max Chilton are among the racers.

ramparter

Banned
How is Ferrari progress explained? Who is technical director? Didn't they fire some key people last year? I'm glad they are doing well Im just very surprised

Zaru

If anyone is itching for some openwheel racing before Australia (and seeing Honda engines that aren't a complete disaster), the IndyCar season opener is this weekend at the St. Petersburg street circuit. Former F1 drivers Takuma Sato, Alexander Rossi and Max Chilton are among the racers.

I was wondering what the hell IndyCar was doing in Russia until I found out there's a St. Petersburg in Florida of all places...

Ty4on

I was wondering what the hell IndyCar was doing in Russia until I found out there's a St. Petersburg in Florida of all places...
There's Athens in Georgia and Melbourne in Florida and countless others I don't remember right now :p

Jezbollah

Sebastian Bordais am cry.

DD

EDIT: OMG, Formula E is coming to Brazil, yay! São Paolo, march 2018. I hope this grabs the attention of some TV channel that I can actually watch. -_-'

Let's see if Band TV will respect Indy this year, ffs. They usually buy the transmission rights and then show football instead, or something else.

Fox Mulder

I take no joy in seeing Alonso like this. The guy's a genuine talent, he deserves a better car than this, as does vandoorne. At this rate, I'd rather see Alonso driving for Porsche or Toyota in the WEC. Anything that's better than this fucking car that McLaren and Honda have.

He's not getting a better seat, Ferrari and redbull are out obviously. Mercedes gave bottas a one year deal, but I doubt he'll fucking suck and lose the seat.

Sometimes the stars just don't line up.

Tubie

Perfect new avatar for the start of the season, ty.

'You reap what you sow' has never applied better to anyone in F1 than Alonso.

300232.jpg

He only needed to stay at Ferrari 3 more years, and he would've been able to win 2017's WDC with Ferrari's new monster (which is totally crazy sandbagging btw) that will win every single race this year.

At least it will be Kimi who wins it instead.

bigred50

How do they manage to make the cars look uglier year after year...? I swear, it's been more than a decade since I last saw a aesthetically pleasing IndyCar.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Vettel : "Mercedes are sandbagging"
Hamilton : "Ferrari is bluffing and hiding pace"
How is Ferrari progress explained? Who is technical director? Didn't they fire some key people last year? I'm glad they are doing well Im just very surprised

Looks like they got it with new rules plus they developed this car basically from last June... but they always begin season strong and then fade away. Also their car could be suited for Barcelona racetrack

Constant development battle will win this season.

Juicy Bob

Rumor here from a former driver is that a current driver told him "it's fucking hard to follow in these cars".

That plus a potential return to one-stop strategies with the harder tyres means that this season could feel a lot like the early 2000s again.

Ark

Rumor here from a former driver is that a current driver told him "it's fucking hard to follow in these cars".

That plus a potential return to one-stop strategies with the harder tyres means that this season could feel a lot like the early 2000s again.

Nobody should be surprised at this. It's like people that want refueling to come back but don't realise how sterile it makes the races.

On the other hand, it'll make qualy more interesting again.

Verstappen said it was okay, felt just like last year in the car

Just saw Alonso's 1:23.080 on the ultra softs and couldn't help wondering if that was everything him and the car had. ;)

Edit - 3 tenths quicker!

Zeknurn

For comparison, quali last year:

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull +0.7s
3. Ferrari +1.1s
4. Williams +1.5s
5. Toro Rosso +1.6s
6. Force India +1.8s
7. McLaren +2s
8. Haas +2.4s
9. Renault +2.6s
10. Sauber +3.2s
11. Manor +3.7s

It sounded like a lot but I guess it's actually not. Thanks.

Mastah

Hulk 1:20.505 on supersofts. It looks like midfield is indeed 1-1.5 second behind top 3 teams and slightly behind Williams, who are fourth quickest.

Juicy Bob

Best times in testing:

Code:
[B]Ferrari[/B]         1'19.024
[B]Mercedes	[/B]1'19.310
[B]Williams	[/B]1'19.420
[B]Red Bull	[/B]1'19.900
[B]Force India	[/B]1'20.161
[B]Toro Rosso	[/B]1'20.416
[B]Haas	[/B]        1'20.504
[B]Renault	[/B]        1'20.505
[B]McLaren	  [/B]      1'21.348
[B]Sauber	[/B]        1'21.824

Hamilton: Ferrari has "something up its sleeve" for Melbourne

Lewis Hamilton fears that Ferrari has "something up its sleeve" ... that could result in a triumph for the Maranello outfit in the Formula 1 season opener in Australia.
Although Ferrari has been downplaying its chances – and singling out Mercedes as the clear favourites – Hamilton has his suspicions that the situation is not as clear cut.

”I think this year the whole pack looks like it is going to be closer," said Hamilton ...

Vettel waiting

Despite Hamilton's stance that Ferrari may be stronger than many expect, Sebastian Vettel says he thinks it will take some time to work out how his outfit fare.
For although he is adamant that the gap has been closed to Mercedes – and the potential is there for Ferrari to overhaul its rivals – he thinks it may not be quite there yet.
When asked if Ferrari had the potential to trouble Mercedes, Vettel said: ”I think we have. But obviously the question is whether we are ready in time.

”... We did a step over the winter but whether it is big enough we need to wait the first couple of races and see. Our target is to turn things around. I don't think it is a surprise when I say Mercedes is still the favourites, but we will try to be favourites in the future."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...something-up-its-sleeve-for-melbourne-679947/

I'm pretty convinced Mercedes still have at least half a second in qualifying setup. If I was Ferrari I'd be spending a shitload of time on that as they had a disastrous time with quali last year.

Zaru

I'm gonna lose my shit if Mercedes turns on the Quali engine mode to gain half a second from Q2 to Q3... and then Ferrari DOES THE SAME

One can dream

Aiii

So not worth it
Good news!

Lewis Hamilton has brushed off claims that his Mercedes team are in a league of their own going into the new season.

Asked if Mercedes were without rivals, Hamilton said: "I don't think so. Ferrari and Williams look competitive."

But he admitted: "That's what I've been told. I've not looked at a single lap time anyone else has done so I'd be guessing."

Despite his pace, Hamilton said he was not comfortable with his car on his fastest lap at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya

Oh btw, this quote is from 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom