• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

Williams performance chief Rob Smedley believes that one of the explanations for what has happened this week is that the increased downforce and grip of F1's 2017 cars is perfectly in line to what Massa needs from a car.

"I think it suits his driving style perfectly really," explained Smedley. "The cars that we have got now are much more akin to the cars when he had his more successful years.

"So [like] a 2008 car, with a very wide front tyre, very, very good grip all the way from turn-in up to the apex. We've been definitely missing that for the last seven years, and he struggled a little bit with that."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-s-style-perfect-for-f1-2017-cars-smedley-881374/

I wonder if we're going to see a resurgence of the old guard that haven't been happy with the last generation of cars.

Aiii

So not worth it
Should be enough for the third row in Melbourne.

I think realistically, when the weather is better and the engines are turned up. We're looking at low 1:17's for this circuit, so I think you're pretty much in the ballpark there, depending on how far ahead the top 3 teams are from the rest of the pack.

Grosjean causing a red flag just to show solidarity with McLaren.

The big difference being that Renault (seem to) know what the issue is and have a fix before the first race. Where as Honda is like "we don't know what the fuck we're doing anymore" and is probably harder at work on suicide nets outside the Japanese offices than on engine fixes.

-edit: And I just realized Grosjean has been with Haas instead of Renault for over a year now and I'm still not used to that.

Zaru

I wonder if we're going to see a resurgence of the old guard that haven't been happy with the last generation of cars.

For SOME of them at least
SiDlEef.png

Dilly

Banned
The big difference being that Renault (seem to) know what the issue is and have a fix before the first race. Where as Honda is like "we don't know what the fuck we're doing anymore" and is probably harder at work on suicide nets outside the Japanese offices than on engine fixes.

What year is it?!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Ferrari, Renault and especially Mercedes just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about F1 development culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other racing series where you can become successful by actually testing your units. If you bench your engine in F1, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the F1 fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to watch these cheating teams for any race, nor will they purchase any of the merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but these F1 teams have alienated an entire market with this move.

Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes, publicly apologize and develop a brand-new engine with absolutely no testing or you can kiss your business goodbye.

An expert, you say?

Because I've worked closely with and within the R&D of three big F1 teams over a number of years, as well has having exposure and site visits to several others, and I believe this to be complete and utter nonsense.

Edit:
Actually, no, I'm not holding back - this is the biggest load of horse shit I've read about F1 development for quite some time!

"The shame of running your engine on the dyno".....LMFAO

Hammer24

Banned
An expert, you say?

Because I've worked closely with and within the R&D of three big F1 teams over a number of years, as well has having exposure and site visits to several others, and I believe this to be complete and utter nonsense.

Edit:
Actually, no, I'm not holding back - this is the biggest load of horse shit I've read about F1 development for quite some time!

tumblr_inline_n286jgOeoT1rydd6z.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
An expert, you say?

Edit:

That just flew right by you, didn't it?

Danielsan

Very curious as to how much the top teams are holding back. Mercedes have plenty of extra pace in the tank of course, but I'm kind of getting the sense that Red Bull will have some catching up to do early in the season. Would be a shame.

mclem

I'm delighted to hear it, I wanted to make absolutely sure there wasn't anything close to meaningful or plausible in there.

Aiii

So not worth it
Very curious as to how much the top teams are holding back. Mercedes have plenty of extra pace in the tank of course, but I'm kind of getting the sense that Red Bull will have some catching up to do early in the season. Would be a shame.

Kimi just casually took .4s off of his fastest time.

Ferrari also topped almost all of last years testing.

Again, times mean nothing.

DD

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-s-style-perfect-for-f1-2017-cars-smedley-881374/

Some people will want to kill me for saying this, but It's amazing how guys like Senna, Schumacher and Alonso could kick ass in any type of car they had, no matter how different are the regs with the passing years. Guys like Massa and Kimi and Vettel can only drive at their top when things suit their driving style.

Theorry

Lol

"Karun Chandhok@karunchandhok
Definitely didn't lift on straight - saw him come past myself with DRS open. Funny seeing RBR people also run to the wall to listen for lift"

Aiii

So not worth it
Lol

Definitely didn't lift on straight - saw him come past myself with DRS open. Funny seeing RBR people also run to the wall to listen for lift"

I hope that isn't true, because if this is their best pace, that's not going to be enough.

At least their engine is probably still tuned down, so it's probably fine. I hope so.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Have I been had?

It's an old NeoGAF meme to reuse that funny post about FFXIII, but to be fair, the original post about FFXIII was (probably) serious, haha. Poe's Law is a bitch on these forums.

Lol

I hope that isn't true, because if this is their best pace, that's not going to be enough.

At least their engine is probably still tuned down, so it's probably fine. I hope so.

I assume it refers to Ferrari?

TCRS

Banned
JESUS CHRIST MCLAREN YOU SHITBOX WHY DON'T PACK UP AND KILL YOURSELF

fucking power of memes

it's killing Alonso

P1 ORDER CANCELLED

Zaru

Dont think Ultra is that good on this circuit. It will eat it up very fast of you push.

Aside from Ultras not being a good tyre for Barcelona, teams are mostly focussing on SS and S tyres because they're the bulk of available (and mandatory!) tyres for the first half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom