• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lets just say we can only hope that Vettel, RIC and VER can join the fight this year. Maybe Kimi can get some second places and become WDC again.

At least the token system is gone, so it should get better.

Speaking of engines, Renault's ERS problem is supposedly set to be fixed before Melbourne, so all those problems are hopefully gone.

Zaru

On another note, Bottas broke through 1000 laps in about 7 days of testing, so he was driving roughly 2 races per day. Our freshly promoted Finn is really putting in the work.

Does Honda just... not bench their engines or something? How could you repeatedly run into what are supposedly very fundamental flaws and errors?
So not watching F1 this year would be the smartest choice?
Even if there's still not a hard fight at the very front, this year you'll get to catch lap records being set at every track before we spend the next 5 years slowing the cars down and trying to improve overtaking. Plus, the cars look soooooooooooo good.

Zaru

So not watching F1 this year would be the smartest choice?

Unless Mercedes is clearly obliterating everyone or something, I wouldn't even pass judgement after Melbourne because it's not the greatest track for overtaking and not every boring race is indicative of a whole season.

mclem

The power of dreams

HGHESOV.jpg

mclem

Does Honda just... not bench their engines or something? How could you repeatedly run into what are supposedly very fundamental flaws and errors?

Ferrari, Renault and especially Mercedes just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about F1 development culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other racing series where you can become successful by actually testing your units. If you bench your engine in F1, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the F1 fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to watch these cheating teams for any race, nor will they purchase any of the merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but these F1 teams have alienated an entire market with this move.

Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes, publicly apologize and develop a brand-new engine with absolutely no testing or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Ferrari, Renault and especially Mercedes just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about F1 development culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other racing series where you can become successful by actually testing your units. If you bench your engine in F1, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the F1 fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to watch these cheating teams for any race, nor will they purchase any of the merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but these F1 teams have alienated an entire market with this move.

Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes, publicly apologize and develop a brand-new engine with absolutely no testing or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Fypcmlz.gif

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Guessing Mclaren tried to turn the engine up past GP2 mode into F1 mode and it failed again.

GP2 cars can do 320kph, McLaren can only do 310

Zaru

Lauda saying Bottas is 0.2 secs slower than Hamilton. Truly the shit-stirrer-in-chief. (Context: He also said that's normal because he's new to the team and still needs to get used to everything)

Zaru

ah, quickest time for Verstappen, 1.19.491 on supersofts. I hope they try to push the cars today.

On one hand, I doubt teams would want to show their full hand or even expect it to be of any use considering the upgrades coming in until Melbourne.

On the other hand, I'm sure SOME of them are itching to know just how fast their cars could go at the limit...

Also, regardless of how big of a step the cars have made compared to 2016, maturing aero and engines will probably remove another second or two by 2018.

Alonso probably wakes up every morning from a repeated nightmare he has about when Ferrari screwed him out of the title in 2010, and how his career died that night in Abu Dhabi, never to recover.

mclem

It's clearly a cunning ploy; their package is so good that they're deliberately causing disruption so other teams can't do a proper test.

Devious.

Hasney

Posted at
10:53
Fernando Alonso is back out!

10:54
Oh no!

Red flag again and again it's for Fernando Alonso's McLaren.

:lol

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty sure everyone would be happy if both Ferrari and RBR start being competitive again.

As well as Williams and FI on occasion being up there.

Zaru

Bless you Kimi.

Finally breaking that 1:18 feels like you've been edging for 10 days and finally get to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom