• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune: Why Nintendo is betting on eSports, and not VR

Neoxon has no idea what he is talking about

Melee will continue going strong because the community was grassroots for so long. It had YEARS to figure out its structure. Things like Melee It On Me, the presence of experienced TOs, connections to Twitch and other big organizations developed over the 13 years of the game's history.

Overall the structure of the community has depth and financial support as well as being able to execute well organized tournaments. That's what makes Melee strong, and that's why Melee has and will continue to last.

On the other hand Smash 4 is in its FIRST year. Saying Evo (which is a customs on tournament) will be the end all be all of the game is absolutely farce. The community JUST established its MIOM equivalent and is just starting to gain experience in things like tournament organizing. The game hasn't even established a universal meta ffs. Entrants wise for almost every major tournament the two games have been neck and neck and the cross over is almost nonexistent. This means a majority of players who enter Melee do not enter Smash 4 and vice versa. So saying shit like "Smash 4 is a temporary relationship while Melee is long term" is ridiculous because the two communities are supported by different demographics.

All we know about the Smash 4 community is that they are much younger than Melee community experience wise, but have shown great improvement just over the past few months. Evo will only dictate two things: 1. If customs are viable and should be used 2. How far below all other Smash 4 players are compared to ZeRo skill level wise. That's it. Stop spouting nonsense when the game is ONLY 7 months old.

And for anyone else interested in Smash both Melee and 4 will be at CEO and streams will be on vgbootcamp/vgbootcamp2 if you want to watch it. I would highly suggest looking at it because it is gonna be a pretty big tournament for both games with Smash 4 being the biggest in CEO's history at 512 entrants. Melee has around 460 iirc.

Just wanted to thank you for this post. I couldn't have said it any better.

Nanashrew

Banned
Exactly. And you barely hear about Pokemon stuff, too. What are the twitch numbers like for competitive Pokemon? Do they even stream official tournaments?

Smash should absolutely get that treatment.

I'm not sure about viewer numbers but Pokemon has had an official Twitch stream for a while now. 73k followers though and they stream US regionals, nationals, and world championships. I don't know what the side streams (if there are any) are for other languages or regions.

Sorry Nintendo, but if anything is going to propel the FGC to eSports, it's going to be Street Fighter. Slap some big money tournaments up for Smash though, that's welcome and will promote growth.

JoeM86

I'm not sure about viewer numbers but Pokemon has had an official Twitch stream for a while now. 73k followers though and they stream US regionals, nationals, and world championships. I don't know what the side streams (if there are any) are for other languages or regions.

In Europe, the Nationals are run by other companies. This year, two of the three European ones ran official streams, with commentators etc.

Nintendo of Australia ran the Australian one.

People keep bringing up Pokemon, but that is not handled by Nintendo, it is done by Pokemon.
That's why not even Reggie mentions it, it's not their thing.

Pokken will not be at a Nintendo event, it'll be done by Pokemon.
I also doubt Pokemon would support Evo.

Correct. Tsunekazu Ishihara, head of The Pokémon Company, said it's his hope that Pokkén would one day be a third part of the World Championships alongside the games and TCG.

I highly doubt the two will be mutually exclusive. I'm sure we'll see plenty of VR games showing up in E-sports eventually.

I'm glad Nintendo's pursuing E-sports, it's a great way to generate popularity and solidify the die hard base.

Consoles in general are way behind PC in this aspect, Nintendo not more-so than Sony or Microsoft I feel.

That comment about VR and Virtual Boy however :/ Ooof.

Haunted

Is this prize pool stuff?
Those are recorded tournament earnings, no salaries or sponsorship money.

The list would probably look pretty different if it included those, for example - Jaedong and Flash had six-figure salary contracts for a number of years. Don't know how much the LCS pays out to their players, but that's also not recorded in that list.

Just a different level of monetary support and infrastructure compared to the FCG.

Nanashrew

Banned
In Europe, the Nationals are run by other companies. This year, two of the three European ones ran official streams, with commentators etc.

Nintendo of Australia ran the Australian one.

Correct. Tsunekazu Ishihara, head of The Pokémon Company, said it's his hope that Pokkén would one day be a third part of the World Championships alongside the games and TCG.

Ah, there we go! Thanks Joe!

I'd also really love to see that happen with Pokken too and hope it does.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nintendo and E-Sports? lol

Metroid Prime: Federation, the e-sport you've been looking for.

Anteo

Neoxon has no idea what he is talking about

Melee will continue going strong because the community was grassroots for so long. It had YEARS to figure out its structure. Things like Melee It On Me, the presence of experienced TOs, connections to Twitch and other big organizations developed over the 13 years of the game's history.

Overall the structure of the community has depth and financial support as well as being able to execute well organized tournaments. That's what makes Melee strong, and that's why Melee has and will continue to last.

On the other hand Smash 4 is in its FIRST year. Saying Evo (which is a customs on tournament) will be the end all be all of the game is absolutely farce. The community JUST established its MIOM equivalent and is just starting to gain experience in things like tournament organizing. The game hasn't even established a universal meta ffs. Entrants wise for almost every major tournament the two games have been neck and neck and the cross over is almost nonexistent. This means a majority of players who enter Melee do not enter Smash 4 and vice versa. So saying shit like "Smash 4 is a temporary relationship while Melee is long term" is ridiculous because the two communities are supported by different demographics.

All we know about the Smash 4 community is that they are much younger than Melee community experience wise, but have shown great improvement just over the past few months. Evo will only dictate two things: 1. If customs are viable and should be used 2. How far below all other Smash 4 players are compared to ZeRo skill level wise. That's it. Stop spouting nonsense when the game is ONLY 7 months old.

And for anyone else interested in Smash both Melee and 4 will be at CEO and streams will be on vgbootcamp/vgbootcamp2 if you want to watch it. I would highly suggest looking at it because it is gonna be a pretty big tournament for both games with Smash 4 being the biggest in CEO's history at 512 entrants. Melee has around 460 iirc.

wait arent both Twitch and MeleeItOnMe pretty new in the melee comunity? I mean, MIOM was founded just to help with the evo donation fund right?

Edit: Also, was twitch involved in giving bonus $ to melee tournaments before bobby scar joined them?

PseudoViper

Is it safe to safe Nintendo has some obvious problems that will take a lot of effort to correct?

Tbh, it's really not surprising. Their lack of awareness of the gaming market is pretty appalling. They'll always be a few steps behind if they continue like this.

JoeM86

Or allow for GameCube Controller support via the GameCube Adapter.

Thing is, the arcade machine doesn't have a fight stick. It actually has controllers with Wii U controller layouts

pokken1155.jpg

Tomohawk

Its incredibly annoying how Reggie tries to act like nintendo has been anything but the opposite of support of the competitive community for years. Make games like splatoon competitive friendly then maybe you can brag.

FZZ

Banned
wait arent both Twitch and MeleeItOnMe pretty new in the melee comunity? I mean, MIOM was founded just to help with the evo donation fund right?

Edit: Also, was twitch involved in giving bonus $ to melee tournaments before bobby scar joined them?

The main point was over the years they were able to acquire these resources and use them develop the community as a whole.

That's why it looks like Melee is so far ahead of Smash 4. My post was in response to someone saying Smash 4 would be dead after Evo 2015 when that clearly isn't the case.

Top Bottom