• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

DasRaven

Shortt Sirket said:
Always with the teasing man! I can't hold out much longer as I require 2.2 liters of questionable fury! It has always been my favorite "sleeper" car and I just want it.

Think about how I feel, none of my first 3 "sporty cars" have made it into the game.
If I don't get the chance to recreate my unrealized dreams, Forza 4 will remain an imperfect gem for me.
1. 88 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe + 2012 5.0 (BOSS302 engine)
2. 87 Shelby GLHS + A853 (Neon SRT-4 engine)
3. 97 Mazda MX-6/Mystere + MZR (Mazdaspeed3 engine)

I honestly want the MX-6 more than almost any other car for FM4.
Still the most beautiful car I've ever owned.

DasRaven said:
Think about how I feel, none of my first 3 "sporty cars" have made it into the game.
If I don't get the chance to recreate my unrealized dreams, Forza 4 will remain an imperfect gem for me.
1. 88 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe + 2012 5.0 (BOSS302 engine)
2. 87 Shelby GLHS + A853 (Neon SRT-4 engine)

3. 97 Mazda MX-6/Mystere + MZR (Mazdaspeed3 engine)

I honestly want the MX-6 more than almost any other car for FM4.
Still the most beautiful car I've ever owned.

Holy sweet jesus balls, those are amazing ideas. Now I require, no, I NEED these things to exist in Forza 4.

jcutner said:
Happy about the pack, but
why the R15+ and not the R18?

Seems odd to include the R15+ now..
Would much rather have the R18

Well, it's technically the R15++ they ran at the 12 Hours of Sebring this year as the R18 was still under development at the time, but yeah, I get what you're saying.

Perhaps we'll get the R18 later on. I'm still not a fan of the dorsal fin on contemporary LMPs, but I've really warmed up to the Audi after its incredible win at Le Mans. One for the ages, that one.

sneaky77

G Rom said:
Rumble was perfect in FM3, don't know why they changed it for worse. You can come close to FM3 by playing with a wired controller though.

The only thing that comes thru in the wheel is some of the amalfi and sebring areas where is kinda cobled, and the curves... none of the road bumps are really noticeable, which is frustrating cause I see the hands of the driver constantly bumping lol

DasRaven

Shortt Sirket said:
Just for fun and because I really don't want to do any work today I have been going back through the Forzalopnik polls. Here are all the cars that started the contest and the bolded ones have made it into Forza. (Some are a year or so off, but its the same model essentially)

The Also-Rans:
1988 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6

Just noticed this... This is supposed to be a 1998 (MK3) model, not a 1988 (MK2) model. There are no factory stock MK2 VR6s. And the MK3 VR6 did make it into the game this time.
We also got a 1999 Elise this time around.

jcutner said:
Happy about the pack, but
why the R15+ and not the R18?

Seems odd to include the R15+ now..
Would much rather have the R18
I'm sure they're planning on selling it to you later.

eek5 said:
Honestly it almost feels like a bug to me. For example I remember hitting jumps in Postiano in FM3 and you could feel your car catch air and land but I didn't notice that I got air on Alps until I watched the replay. WTH?
I'm almost certain rumble is bugged across several different devices. The whole input system is junk, tbh. Nothing works correctly.

Jube3 said:
If you guys want to get a Neogaf racing Tournament/Rivals challenge going I can provide unicorns/credits as prizes. If anyone is up for setting it up PM me, I know Diablo had something planned before IRL picked up.
Organize? No. Take part in? Yes.

I'd love to see everyone chipping away at a single rivals event (or a combo of two) over the course of a week.

sneaky77

Big Takeover said:
Organize? No. Take part in? Yes.

I'd love to see everyone chipping away at a single rivals event (or a combo of two) over the course of a week.

yeah it would be cool all using the same car same tune. Cause I suck and I can't tune for shit lol

sneaky77 said:
yeah it would be cool all using the same car same tune. Cause I suck and I can't tune for shit lol

Yeah, I think one of the Spec Races would be best. That way everyone is on equal footing and its all about the actual driving.

I would suggest either the German Touring one, or the American Le Mans Corvette. Both are iconic and really make you work for the lap times.

I am also curious if we could make our own. Something like picking a specific car to run stock on Kaido, or a fun P2P. Any other suggestions?

Shortt Sirket said:
I would suggest either the German Touring one, or the American Le Mans Corvette. Both are iconic and really make you work for the lap times.

I'm happily atop the club leaderboard at the moment for the RA C6.R challenge, so yeah, let's make it that one. :p

Shortt Sirket said:
Yeah, I think one of the Spec Races would be best. That way everyone is on equal footing and its all about the actual driving.

I am also curious if we could make our own. Something like picking a specific car to run stock on Kaido, or a fun P2P. Any other suggestions?
How about starting with an official one first to see if we can generate some participation? The Vette@RA is not exactly a beginner level combo. Maybe something a bit more friendlier for people?

Jube3

We will be performing server maintenance on Thursday, Oct. 27 today from approximately 10:30-noon PDT (6:30-8PM UK). Expect some downtime as a result. Public lobbies will still be available for our Game With Dev event at noon-2 p.m. PDT.

User-Created Races will still be available to race in but the other online features (AH, hoppers, etc) will be down at that time. I'll let you know once it is back up.

Big Takeover said:
How about starting with an official one first to see if we can generate some participation? The Vette@RA is not exactly a beginner level combo. Maybe something a bit more friendlier for people?

Fair enough, but I don't think we want it to be too easy. What about The Senna Special? Iconic, fun and the car is brilliant?

The only problem is that we already have people with times. Now nobody has a time yet on The Old Downhill Kaido track with a D car. So we could pick a stock D car and start fresh. You can check on the Leaderboards to see what options are clean and that could also work.

saladine1

So we can still download single cars if we choose?
The 57 Chevy is the only car i'll be getting in the 'speed pack'.

E-
G Rom said:
The sound of the Aventador shall be glorious !
Just thinking about it brings a smile on my face. :)

Speaking of which, sound is something that is easily forgotten in the next gen dreams. I hope the additionnal disc space and horsepower will allow for less compressed sounds. There's no doubt that we're loosing lots of details this gen.
There's always room for even better sound and associated effects. FM4 has THE best sounding cars at the moment but for next gen, I want the sound to be like the clearly 1:1 recordings we get in the Autovista 'revs' sequence.

LostVector

Neo Member
skyfinch said:
Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. Weather and night racing has nothing to with loving cars. A person who loves cars should be drooling over Autovista, the ability to tune their cars, take photos of their car, paint and customize their cars. Rain and weather are aspects of racing. Racing is just part of car passion, not the whole.

And to be perfectly honest, when it comes to racing, I prefer a solid 60fps.
Fair enough. I'm probably being a little hard on them. 60 fps is extremely important. But I get the sense that if the Xbox 720 came out, Dan G. would upgrade the graphics again, keep the 60 fps, and totally ignore weather or night time driving. It's all about tradeoffs, and I don't see any movement towards using cpu cycles for other things.

But, to your point above:
- I don't drool over Autovista because the content is limited and you can learn way more on the web. It's fun to look at once or twice.
- Tuning my car isn't that interesting because there's no real work involved, and no real scarcity of resources (like money) to force you to make deliberate choices.
- Taking photos of your car, painting it, etc ... is equally boring (to me) because it's not a real car, and without having to pick just the ONE car that you are going to own, there's less investment of your personality into it.

Maybe what Forza could use is a hardcore mode like Diablo, where you get extremely limited income online.

Anyway, it seems your definition of loving cars is someone who loves looking at a shiny new Ferrari or BMW. My definition is someone who loves tweaking his old Miata and tooling it around the track ... rain or shine. Two different definitions, both valid. In my opinion, Forza caters more to the former than the latter. And what really irks me is what steering assist and clutch bugs get left in for long periods of time. It just points towards folks over there not being that serious about the driving/racing side of things when they spend all this time on graphics and they don't even try to make sure the driving model works correctly.

With all that said, Forza 4 is still a very good game and I'm going to keep playing it for a bit.

Shortt Sirket said:
Fair enough, but I don't think we want it to be too easy. What about The Senna Special? Iconic, fun and the car is brilliant?

The only problem is that we already have people with times. Now nobody has a time yet on The Old Downhill Kaido track with a D car. So we could pick a stock D car and start fresh. You can check on the Leaderboards to see what options are clean and that could also work.
I'll drive whatever, wherever. It makes no difference to me. I just figured a high ratio of minutes played/clean laps makes it easier on your average player though.

Old school leaderboard racing is fine too.

nagge

Shortt Sirket said:

Anything but FK and I'm in :)

I don't think it will matter if some people already have times posted since everyone will improve once the challenge is set.

skyfinch

LostVector said:
Fair enough. I'm probably being a little hard on them. 60 fps is extremely important. But I get the sense that if the Xbox 720 came out, Dan G. would upgrade the graphics again, keep the 60 fps, and totally ignore weather or night time driving. It's all about tradeoffs, and I don't see any movement towards using cpu cycles for other things.

But, to your point above:
- I don't drool over Autovista because the content is limited and you can learn way more on the web. It's fun to look at once or twice.
- Tuning my car isn't that interesting because there's no real work involved, and no real scarcity of resources (like money) to force you to make deliberate choices.
- Taking photos of your car, painting it, etc ... is equally boring (to me) because it's not a real car, and without having to pick just the ONE car that you are going to own, there's less investment of your personality into it.

Maybe what Forza could use is a hardcore mode like Diablo, where you get extremely limited income online.

Anyway, it seems your definition of loving cars is someone who loves looking at a shiny new Ferrari or BMW. My definition is someone who loves tweaking his old Miata and tooling it around the track ... rain or shine. Two different definitions, both valid. In my opinion, Forza caters more to the former than the latter. And what really irks me is what steering assist and clutch bugs get left in for long periods of time. It just points towards folks over there not being that serious about the driving/racing side of things when they spend all this time on graphics and they don't even try to make sure the driving model works correctly.

With all that said, Forza 4 is still a very good game and I'm going to keep playing it for a bit.

No, my definition of loving cars is based on more aspects than just racing. Turn 10 has done a great job of balancing out the game for "people who love cars". Autovista is a virtual showroom. If you love cars, to be able to walk around and inspect never every inch of a car in "autovista" type of detail is a dream. I love knowing what the specs are, its history, what was involved in its creation. I love the technical and artistic aspects of cars. Taking photos of cars may be boring to you but not to others. There's a thread dedicated to photos and liveries. People who love cars take photos of them. Cars are a form of art.

And, yes, as someone who loves cars, I also like racing them. But racing is only a small aspect of what car passion is about.

nagge said:
Anything but FK and I'm in :)

I don't think it will matter if some people already have times posted since everyone will improve once the challenge is set.

There are also no times on B Classs Bernese Alps Club Circuit. And I am just throwing out ideas to get a feel of what people are thinking. If someone has a better idea, just let me know. This is definitely not a dictatorship, I just really want this to happen.

nagge

Shortt Sirket said:
There are also no times on B Classs Bernese Alps Club Circuit. And I am just throwing out ideas to get a feel of what people are thinking. If someone has a better idea, just let me know. This is definitely not a dictatorship, I just really want this to happen.

How about this, we choose a rivals event and then only times posted after the start of the contest counts, so it wont matter if someone already has set a super fast time before the start of the contest?

G Rom

My only suggestion is that Jube should share an untuned car with a special livery that we'd have to use to set a time. That way it would avoid any possible cheating.

G Rom said:
My only suggestion is that Jube should share an untuned car with a special livery that we'd have to use to set a time. That way it would avoid any possible cheating.

Hmm, that is a good idea. But the Spec Race Rivals challenges also work because you have to use a stock car.

I am putting my vote for the Senna Special. Great car, fun track and its iconic.

Edit: The Leaderboards also show the date it was set, so that will make sure only those who did it in the allowed window will count.

nagge

Shortt Sirket said:
Hmm, that is a good idea. But the Spec Race Rivals challenges also work because you have to use a stock car.

I am putting my vote for the Senna Special. Great car, fun track and its iconic.

Yea I vote for some of the rivals races with a set car, that's the easiest way to prevent cheating and at the same time try to put the GAF name high on the leaderboards.

I'm up for the Senna Special, easy handling car that shouldn't cause to much of a problem for anyone.

G Rom

You can do some tuning (like pressure) in the spec races no ? Something that would not be possible with a shared car I think.

nagge

G Rom said:
You can do some tuning (like pressure) in the spec races no ? Something that would not be possible with a shared car I think.

You can't do anything with the cars, there's no car tuning option in the menu before the race.

Edit: A problem using a (tuned or not doesn't matter) car from the club garage is if you already set a fast time you wont be able to take part of the contest as you wont beat your old time and it wont register the new time with the shared car.

LostVector

Neo Member
skyfinch said:
No, my definition of loving cars is based on more aspects than just racing. Turn 10 has done a great job of balancing out the game for "people who love cars". Autovista is a virtual showroom. If you love cars, to be able to walk around and inspect never every inch of a car in "autovista" type of detail is a dream. I love knowing what the specs are, its history, what was involved in its creation. I love the technical and artistic aspects of cars. Taking photos of cars may be boring to you but not to others. There's a thread dedicated to photos and liveries. People who love cars take photos of them. Cars are a form of art.

And, yes, as someone who loves cars, I also like racing them. But racing is only a small aspect of what car passion is about.
We'll have to disagree about that. Forza would sell with just the racing aspects. It would not sell as just a virtual car photo taking game.

I actually would respect the game more if it included much more history or detail on each of the cars. It does not.

Yoritomo

LostVector said:
We'll have to disagree about that. Forza would sell with just the racing aspects. It would not sell as just a virtual car photo taking game.

I actually would respect the game more if it included much more history or detail on each of the cars. It does not.

Compared to? Can't think of a PC game that does it better.

skyfinch

LostVector said:

Well, maybe FM4 isn't the game for you. There are a bunch of pc games that might fit your bill. Or even F1 from codemasters if all you're looking for is racing.

sneaky77

Shortt Sirket said:

Edit: The Leaderboards also show the date it was set, so that will make sure only those who did it in the allowed window will count.

There is no way to create a club rivals event? Major oversight by turn 10 there.

eek5

LostVector said:

I somehow doubt this. Race Pro sold like 80k world wide

eek5 said:
I somehow doubt this. Race Pro sold like 80k world wide

I love that game. Plus it is the only console game (that I know of) that has Mid Ohio. I would do many, many, many bad things to see that track in Forza or GT.

sneaky77

Shortt Sirket said:
I love that game. Plus it is the only console game (that I know of) that has Mid Ohio. I would do many, many, many bad things to see that track in Forza or GT.

So is good? I just heard of it for the first time the other day

sneaky77 said:
So is good? I just heard of it for the first time the other day

I really like it. The career progression is pretty terrible and the actual layout of the game is not good at all. But the actual racing and sound is very good. I played the shit out of it and I loved the feeling/sound of the different cars.

And did I mention it has Mid Ohio as DLC? Because it totally does and I might have bought the DLC even though it was more than I actually paid for the game.

Just for Mid Ohio.

I like that track.

sneaky77

Shortt Sirket said:
I really like it. The career progression is pretty terrible and the actual layout of the game is not good at all. But the actual racing and sound is very good. I played the shit out of it and I loved the feeling/sound of the different cars.

And did I mention it has Mid Ohio as DLC? Because it totally does and I might have bought the DLC even though it was more than I actually paid for the game.

Just for Mid Ohio.

I like that track.

I may have to amazon it for a couple of bucks

SarBear

Nothing good EVER came out of Ohio. That includes Cedar Point, Bone Thugs, Buckeyes, and anything else you can think of.

<----- obviously from Michigan.

legbone

SarBear said:
Nothing good EVER came out of Ohio. That includes Cedar Point, Bone Thugs, Buckeyes, and anything else you can think of.

<----- obviously from Michigan.

feelings hurt. i came out of ohio. but seriously, i'm hyped for this dlc. so glad i got the season pass. i just saw a new charger this morning and thought to myself how cool if it would end up as dlc in forza. bam. this news hits me and whaddya know. great selection of cars. i cannot wait for my monthly dlc now. so worth it for the season pass.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the gaf time trials thingy mentioned by jube should definitely, 100%, be open to ALL gaf members not just those in the car club. so no, we should not use a car from the gaf garage. anything else i'm open to, but i definitely like the idea of a spec race with the same cars and an even playing field. i'd prefer it this way everytime personally, and i'm fine with honor system and leaderboards to create our own "rivals" for this. my 2 cents.

Iknos

Is there a way to make your own rival event? A "club event" or something?

Haven't seen one autovista thing yet. Doesn't interest me. So much other stuff does. Amazing how this game caters to everyone.

Weather/day/night still has nothing to do with car passion no matter how much you sugar coat it. It's a part of motorsport. That's it. It's not a big part of motorsport there are many other more important things that are higher priority. Pit stops for example. Rain or shine or dark there are always pit stops.

Despite being flawed F1 2011 is the game with all this good stuff. It has everything a racing sim should have from proper pitting to damage to weather to weekend race events to a proper career mode

But aAfter seeing how bugged that game is I aam more at ease with 4za being the way it is. I would like a penalty system in fm5 and night racing but I prefer a stable game more.

Hey, awesome race there Jube. I have never played tag before and I think I might start checking it out.

Sorry about all the switching around, but I am desperately in love with that M3 GTR Road car. Thanks for putting up with us.

And damn you Skyfinch!

skyfinch

Shortt Sirket said:
Hey, awesome race there Jube. I have never played tag before and I think I might start checking it out.

Sorry about all the switching around, but I am desperately in love with that M3 GTR Road car. Thanks for putting up with us.

And damn you Skyfinch!

lol, I've never played that mode before either. It's so chaotic but fun. Was two laps in before I realized what we were supposed to do.

Thanks, Jube. Much appreciated.

Wazzim

Banned
Iknos said:
Is there a way to make your own rival event? A "club event" or something?
Something that I wanted to know too, making Club events would be awesome. I don't think it's possible though.

SarBear said:
I hope I earn a Unicorn from racing the Aventador in the new rivals event. I really, really want one. :)

What? The new pack isn't out yet. Or is it something special that T10 is doing?

(Messing with the Saints Row Initiation Station so I can't check right now)

Top Bottom