• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Pepto

Banned
Majanew said:
No, it doesn't ramp up. The world tour is a cake-walk. The only thing the AI can do is all slam into each other at the first turn of the race and you have to make it through since they start you in the middle all of the time.
I'm #7 on the GAF Senna challenge and I'm having trouble with the AI on the S-class and faster races. I guess the AI scaling is a bit off.

p3tran

Banned
Pepto said:
I'm #7 on the GAF Senna challenge and I'm having trouble with the AI on the S-class and faster races. I guess the AI scaling is a bit off.
me too, I had to ditch a car and prepare a brand new one to get through some events.
that was in S and R3 iirc, I still avoid R2/R1 for the moment. I wouldnt call AI slow in those career races..

It's fucking stupid, as is AI brake lights flashing like strobes
if there are also not straight brake lines but in pieces on the tarmac, then its their abs

sneaky77

Pepto said:

i think sometimes it depends on the event that is offered and where in the event list is located.

p3tran said:
there is the "favorite" function.
when on a storefront page you like, hit Y and select add to favorites.
then, anytime from your own storefront you can hit Y and select favorite storefronts from a list.
also, you can use this function to follow favorites in leaderboards too.
sneaky77 said:
or just select club members storefront as a storefront option

Man, How am I missing all this stuff? We need a FAQza 4 from you guys lol.

Okay, so I have some different ideas for the next GAF Club Event.

Normal Time Trial
- The only thing with this is that it really would only be between the Top 5 drivers and might leave out everyone else.

All Assists Time Trial
- I thought it might be fun to see who could get the fastest time with ALL the assists turned on. Auto brake, steer assist, etc. I know it actually is harder for me to race with those, so it could be interesting.

Drift Challenge
- Just a normal drift challenge to see who can get the highest score.

Drift Score Target
- I set a Drift Score (nothing too high) and whoever can come the closest without going over wins

Rallye Time Trial
- I set a time by driving fairly consistently and not too quickly around a course and whoever can get the closest without going faster wins.

Crazy Rallye Time Trial
- Same as above, but I drive like a crazy person. As in stopping randomly, doing donuts, etc and only dirty laps count.

Bracket Drag Racing
- We set a class and everyone PMs me their time. When we start the Event, whoever can hit their time closest wins.

Bracket Time Trial (Thanks Nagge)
- Same as above, but with an actual course instead of drag racing.

Backwards Challenge
- Whoever can set the fastest time on a course while driving backwards the whole time wins.

Photo Competition (Thanks enzo)
- We do a theme and everyone PMs me their photos and then I post them all in random order and with no names and whoever gets the most votes wins.

Car design/paint Challenge
- We pick a car and everyone shares their paint/livery design with the club. People "vote" by driving the car in a Quick Race. Whoever has the most "drives" wins. Or people just send them to me, I post pictures with no names and we vote. And everyone gets their cars back after.

Again, I just want something "different" and fun that doesn't exclude those of us that aren't very great at racing. If anyone likes any of these ideas, let me know.

Snubbers

Mascot said:
Seems like AI cars are programmed to touch their brakes whenever they lift off the throttle. It's fucking stupid, as is AI brake lights flashing like strobes. Seems they can't apply analogue pressure to the brakes, they have to flick them on/off digitally.

Loads of little annoyances in FM4, but they all add up.

If you bring up the full line, you can see that T10's line shows cars should lift/brake in some pretty silly places, where you can easily take them flat.. It would seem as simple as T10 addressing this and making the racing line actually more representative of real life, or people will always be at odds with them..

As for the AI difficulty in world tour, it's mainly broken because they insist on giving you pre-upgraded cars... It totally negates the 'auto-upgrading AI' feature, since you just end up all at the same PI level.. and then you are back to the fact that AI, even on the hardest setting, aren't a match for a semi-skilled driver in any game..

I just do things manually, I start with a stock car, and the challenge is to see how many PI less I can get away with and still beat them..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shortt Sirket said:
And boom goes the dynamite. Let me know what car you want (and accept my friend request) and I will send it to you.
Woohoo! Will do when I get home much later in the day.

Also, what about photo competitions? I mean, I know they're harder to objectively judge but it's something I may take part in. You could have a theme and fellow GAFers could vote (there must be a few, non-ad-filled make-your-own-poll sites somewhere). Just a suggestion.

Snubbers said:
If you bring up the full line, you can see that T10's line shows cars should lift/brake in some pretty silly places, where you can easily take them flat.. It would seem as simple as T10 addressing this and making the racing line actually more representative of real life, or people will always be at odds with them..

As for the AI difficulty in world tour, it's mainly broken because they insist on giving you pre-upgraded cars... It totally negates the 'auto-upgrading AI' feature, since you just end up all at the same PI level.. and then you are back to the fact that AI, even on the hardest setting, aren't a match for a semi-skilled driver in any game..

I just do things manually, I start with a stock car, and the challenge is to see how many PI less I can get away with and still beat them..

I understand why they give away pre-upgraded cars because for a lot of people it is a good idea. We know how to remove the parts and go back to the stock tune, but for the average player it is a nice gift. You get a new car and it is already upgraded for the different events. And I agree that I like the AI upgrading because it lets me create some cars under the limit and really have a close race.

The AI is still about 10 different types of retarded, but it doesn't bother me TOO much. I agree with what has been said before that it seems like they don't even see you until you are in front of them. The only thing I have noticed that I am really sad about is how different M Rossi is in this game. He was also such a bastard to race against and he doesn't seem nearly as aggressive or fast in this game.

sneaky77

flyinpiranha said:
Man, How am I missing all this stuff? We need a FAQza 4 from you guys lol.

oh I didnt know that was an option it was a suggestion on what they can add to make it more searchable

sirket > I bought one of each.

h3rtz > I downloaded your design

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know how you can play FM4 without rewind. Sorry I'm not doing this 5 lap race again because some fucker is trying to drive me off of the road because of his lust for the racing line.

cbox

As far as AI, in world tour I did that one race with the 458 on Catalunya, and only caught up to Rossi on the final turn - shit was hard! All assists off, no rewind, etc.

nagge

Or we could use a rivals event but make it so that the top 3 times win, but also have people submit target times before we start and the 3 who gets closest to their target times also win? A lot of winners, maybe only #1 in either of the challenges should win...

Also, shortt, do you have the DLC codes or is it Jube who needs to wake up? ;)

Shortt Sirket said:
Major Nelson just announced the cars in the November DLC on Twitter. On my phone in the bathroom so I can't copy and paste right now. No release date other than "November."

Edit: Here are the cars:

<snipped>

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

I've been wanting a Tri-5 Chevy in Forza for years. Thank you Turn 10. You have no idea how deliriously happy I am right now.

SarBear

nagge said:
Or we could use a rivals event but make it so that the top 3 times win, but also have people submit target times before we start and the 3 who gets closest to their target times also win? A lot of winners, maybe only #1 in either of the challenges should win...

Also, shortt, do you have the DLC codes or is it Jube who needs to wake up? ;)

Ill under achieve my target every time lol

nagge said:
Just bought a pink abarth for 500k, worst deal ever...

Hey man, I had to make them stand out! Again, I appreciate everyone who is doing this and I promise that 100% of the money goes back into the club.

And it is Jube who offered the codes.

Edit:
So far, the winners of the "Guess the Car" have been:

Nagge - SVT Cobra
Enzo - '86 M635CSI
Skeletor - Diablo SV
Enzo - Lotus Carlton

And I will be sending everyone their cars after work today (6pm EST) Don't forget to friend me. And Enzo, what car do you want for that last guess?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
after about a week long break, this game has sucked me back in! it is just sooo satisfying to drive. yesterday i had a pretty awesome moment with my non-gaming wife. she wanted to try forza with the wheel so i set her up with no assists and the peugeot 207 RC on maple valley. i told her to approach it like a real car, ie, dont floor the gas pedal constantly and slow before corners. with some gentle advice on upcoming corners, she was pulling somewhat fast clean laps and having a blast. she ended up doing 10-15 laps in one sitting

Mascot

enzo_gt said:
I don't know how you can play FM4 without rewind. Sorry I'm not doing this 5 lap race again because some fucker is trying to drive me off of the road because of his lust for the racing line.
I used rewind all the time in FM3 but have had it perma-off in FM4.

Makes me less hung-ho and makes events more exciting. I don't mind having to redo a long race due to a late crash. I'm driving the cars for fun, so more driving = more fun. If I crash, so what? It's not costing me money for repairs, and I'll just be more careful next time. I'm sure having rewind off makes me a better driver. I think a lot of people use it as a crutch, or as a safety net.

mblitek

Shortt Sirket said:
Hey man, I had to make them stand out! Again, I appreciate everyone who is doing this and I promise that 100% of the money goes back into the club.

And it is Jube who offered the codes.

Edit:
So far, the winners of the "Guess the Car" have been:

Nagge - SVT Cobra
Enzo - '86 M635CSI
Skeletor - Diablo SV
Enzo - Lotus Carlton

And I will be sending everyone their cars after work today (6pm EST) Don't forget to friend me. And Enzo, what car do you want for that last guess?

I call shenanigans! I said Mustang, I would've said SVT sniff, sniff. Great idea by the way! I love the idea.

Shortt Sirket said:
Here are the final results:
1. Yoritomo79 - 2:23:541
2. Ox nagge - 2:23.615
3. P3tRaN - 2:24.330

4. Big Takeover - 2:24.666
5. Mc Kane - 2:25.253
6. OoDHOo - 2:25.505
7. massproduction - 2:25.957
8. Seanspeed - 2:26.321
9. Union 360 - 2:26.831
10. REW138 - 2:27.398

Congrats to Yoritomo, Nagge and P3Tran! I will PM Jube the information. I will also try to figure out something interesting to give to the other 7 people in the Top Ten. Not sure what yet, but I will try to send something out tomorrow.

Guess the Car!
And, since nobody has guessed the car yet, here it is again:

Guess.jpg
Lotus Exige perhaps?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
For all of the Forza players, what exactly is keeping you playing the game?

The racing?
The collecting of cars?
Trying to beat times of other players?

I am about to pick it up, just trying to see what makes the interest in the game last.

Cptkrush

dskillzhtown said:

The racing?
The collecting of cars?

I am about to pick it up, just trying to see what makes the interest in the game last.
Lately I've found myself tuning A class cars strictly for use in Virus mode. It's so much fun tuning and playing that I've almost forgotten how the rest of the game is.

ElNino

dskillzhtown said:

The racing? Yes, especially now that I have a Fanatec wheel setup.

The collecting of cars? Yes, not only cars but cars with cool liveries that I would never be able to do myself in a million years. Thankfully the Forza community has some incredible artists.

Trying to beat times of other players? Not yet as I haven't got into Rivals, but sooner or later this will be Yes as well.

For me.

G Rom

For me it's racing, beating rivals, taking photos of cars, collecting cars and the new cars coming in DLC packs.

I got an Internet connection back thanks to a Wifi hotspot that appeared today. It's insane the amount of money you make in Rivals. Bounty + normal Cr. + driver leveling up + affinity leveling up = 300K almost every time...

dskillzhtown said:

The racing?
The collecting of cars?

All of that. But mostly just the racing for me. Plus looking at all the cool designs people make. Rivalry is an awesome way to just get better at tracks.

dskillzhtown said:

Racing other people— whether that's a time trial or an actual race. I'd love racing the AI if it was better.

I really like building race cars. I'm very rarely interested in driving stock vehicles (certain sports cars excepted).

dskillzhtown said:

The racing?
The collecting of cars?

I'm not into the multiplayer at all. Personally, I just find it relaxing. Where I'm at (starting 7th season, I think), the game is pretty easy. I'm usually in first place after the first lap, and then it's just drive. In-game music is off, and I'm just listening to the engine and I can almost just zone out and drive. It's almost the same reason I like running in the dark every morning. Feels like it's just me alone in the world, and I can think about my day or whatever. Same feeling I have when playing this game.

Can somebody tell me what the Paperclip icon is in the leaderboards? I was looking at the rivals leaderboards and it has the ABS, TCS and such, then there is the Paper clip icon which I have no idea what it is, and then the dirty lap marker(caution triangle).

Lionheart1827 said:
Can somebody tell me what the Paperclip icon is in the leaderboards? I was looking at the rivals leaderboards and it has the ABS, TCS and such, then there is the Paper clip icon which I have no idea what it is, and then the dirty lap marker(caution triangle).

It shows if the lap has a replay you can download.

Here, for the new page:

Okay, so I have some different ideas for the next GAF Club Event.

Normal Time Trial
- The only thing with this is that it really would only be between the Top 5 drivers and might leave out everyone else.

All Assists Time Trial
- I thought it might be fun to see who could get the fastest time with ALL the assists turned on. Auto brake, steer assist, etc. I know it actually is harder for me to race with those, so it could be interesting.

Drift Challenge
- Just a normal drift challenge to see who can get the highest score.

Drift Score Target
- I set a Drift Score (nothing too high) and whoever can come the closest without going over wins

Rallye Time Trial
- I set a time by driving fairly consistently and not too quickly around a course and whoever can get the closest without going faster wins.

Crazy Rallye Time Trial
- Same as above, but I drive like a crazy person. As in stopping randomly, doing donuts, etc and only dirty laps count.

Bracket Drag Racing
- We set a class and everyone PMs me their time. When we start the Event, whoever can hit their time closest wins.

Bracket Time Trial (Thanks Nagge)
- Same as above, but with an actual course instead of drag racing.

Backwards Challenge
- Whoever can set the fastest time on a course while driving backwards the whole time wins.

Photo Competition (Thanks enzo)
- We do a theme and everyone PMs me their photos and then I post them all in random order and with no names and whoever gets the most votes wins.

Car design/paint Challenge
- We pick a car and everyone shares their paint/livery design with the club. People "vote" by driving the car in a Quick Race. Whoever has the most "drives" wins. Or people just send them to me, I post pictures with no names and we vote. And everyone gets their cars back after.

Lionheart1827 said:

It has to do with having a ghost replay or save I think.

legbone

Fleet_of_Foot said:
I'm not into the multiplayer at all. Personally, I just find it relaxing. Where I'm at (starting 7th season, I think), the game is pretty easy. I'm usually in first place after the first lap, and then it's just drive. In-game music is off, and I'm just listening to the engine and I can almost just zone out and drive. It's almost the same reason I like running in the dark every morning. Feels like it's just me alone in the world, and I can think about my day or whatever. Same feeling I have when playing this game.

this is the same way i play the game. it is basically a form of meditation for me. you reach that strange place where you have been thinking about something and several laps have passed you by and you don't remember doing them. strange yet wonderful feeling. i have always played racing games like this. i enjoy a tight race where i have to concentrate but it's the ones where you are in first place by the end of the first lap and it's just you, the road, and your mind from there on out that i enjoy the most.

nagge

Running a purely time based event (rivals or just hot lapping) is easy and could be done every week. But to include everyone there could be such an event as Shortt mentioned above running parallel, and the winner of each one receives a prize?

I'm only saying this because I know I wont take part in any drift events or such, I just want to go as fast as possible and having both events running parallel and awarding only the winners would be possible I think.

nagge said:
Running a purely time based event (rivals or just hot lapping) is easy and could be done every week. But to include everyone there could be such an event as Shortt mentioned above running parallel, and the winner of each one receives a prize?

I'm only saying this because I know I wont take part in any drift events or such, I just want to go as fast as possible and having both events running parallel and awarding only the winners would be possible I think.

I had thought about that also, but it is a lot to keep track of. However, I do want it to be as inclusive as possible. I had originally envisioned just doing a different "type" of Event every weekish so people who might not dig this week could be voting on/suggesting the next week.

This is all completely up in the air as far as ideas and such, I just thought I would throw out some concepts that might be interesting enough to pique some interest. Keeping it all Leaderboard Racing would be boring for some people after a while, just as keeping it all drag or drifting. That is also why I suggested the more "different" things so we can keep everyone interested, even if they are aren't so good at the game.

caramac

If anyone has a spare few mins on their hands you should take a look at a replay l uploaded to my storefront (its the only one there) Fast foward it to 5.00 mins and make sure you have the cam set to behind the car. Follow it down the hill.

Eat your heart out team Black Jack lol

GT: oODHOo

*Edit: Ok, l took a rather poor quality video of it and uploaded it to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F08LsAXcxfo

p3tran

Banned
legbone said:
this is the same way i play the game. it is basically a form of meditation for me. you reach that strange place where you have been thinking about something and several laps have passed you by and you don't remember doing them. strange yet wonderful feeling. i have always played racing games like this. i enjoy a tight race where i have to concentrate but it's the ones where you are in first place by the end of the first lap and it's just you, the road, and your mind from there on out that i enjoy the most.
free laps. your ithaka 8)

So, I was messing around with the vinyl editor and I am even more-so doubly amazed at what some of you guys pull off.

Quick question, when you are designing something with layers and such and go through and create a name (trying to think of how I want to create a water-splash looking Flyinpiranha I could tag my cars with) can you save the finished design as just a single icon/paint?

Haven't really spend too much time with it but hopefully will this week.

flyinpiranha said:
Quick question, when you are designing something with layers and such and go through and create a name (trying to think of how I want to create a water-splash looking Flyinpiranha I could tag my cars with) can you save the finished design as just a single icon/paint?

Yeah, select all the layers, hit group, then on the group hit 'save as vinyl group'. There's also a vinyl editor, which might be easier than using the top/side of a car.

flyinpiranha said:
Cool, I'll have to probably spend as much time learning that as I did learning to race with a wheel ha!

There are some pretty talented people here who could do it for you. Give them a resource picture and they might do it for cheap. Hell, I am not that great but I will give it a go if you want.

Seanspeed

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

The racing?
The collecting of cars?

All of that stuff and more. I've spent a whole lot of time playing Rivals events, but I've since been spending more time building cars for online competition. Trying out different setups, buying setups from the Storefront, scrolling through hundreds of liveries for each and every car in order to find one that I find special enough, etc etc.

In time, I'm gonna be spending the majority of my Forza-time racing online. The AI can never compare to human competition, so this is where I get most of my kicks from in the Forza games.

Everybody will be different, though. There's truly no one single answer as to what creates longevity in Forza. Simply so much different stuff to do. A lot of people like drifting, some people like drag racing, some people spend their time creating mind-boggling liveries, some people like to just sit in photo mode and drool at the car porn. If you like cars, you'll like this game. I dont think long-term interest is something that Forza has ever really suffered from. I played Forza 1 all the way up until Forza 2. I played Forza 2 all the way until Forza 3. And I played Forza 3 all the way til this one. And this one is by far the best. I dont think I'll be stopping anytime within the next couple years.

Man I tried racing some of the A and higher class cars without Traction, Stability, ABS assists and I suck ass, especially with Traction control off. :/ I put that back and I'm slowly leaning into the difficulty with stability control and ABS off.

eek5

dskillzhtown said:

The racing?
The collecting of cars?

The racing is a lot of fun. I've been enjoying it a lot more than FM3 and possibly more than FM2. I'm mainly sticking around for the livery editor, photo mode, rivals, and occasionally MP. I do race SP now and then but I mostly go to defend a couple of my times in rivals mode and get sucked into that for an hour or so at a time.

Shortt Sirket said:
There are some pretty talented people here who could do it for you. Give them a resource picture and they might do it for cheap. Hell, I am not that great but I will give it a go if you want.

I might try to mock something up in photoshop sometime, or get my girl who is 100x better with PS to do it (all about outsourcing!).

Bought and rated some of your guys designs and also snagged a few of those GAF symbols for prizes later on down the road.

Top Bottom