• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Aurarian

Finished the final season just now. Those last couple of races were so long and annoying(GT2 race). At least going around Nurburing was fun with my 240 SX.

Gor@n

Neo Member
eek5 said:
There are a couple guys making a killing on AH. I found one guy that had over 100 listings for the daytona, mantide, and a couple other ferraris. He pushed the Daytona price from 5-800k to 2 million over the course of 3-4 days. I checked his profile and he was only level 17. LOL

Yep sure is, people upgrading cars for 0cr and slapping on ridiculous prices and some people buy em. I'm just out to buy some cheap cars, don't intend on making money off the AH.

G Rom

I bought lots of cheap cars from the AH yesterday : Daytona, Bentley Speed 8, CLK GTR, 037, One-77. I think I must have paid roughly 2.5/3M for all those cars when their real total price was closer to 9M.

Shortt Sirket said:
That is actually a brilliant idea. I can set up a Calendar and we can all put when we are available online. Can put GAF name and GamerTag.

Sorry I wasn't responding tonight, I had six girls at my place hanging out. It can be a bit hard to find some gaming time with that! Lol

It's good to spend time with family =P

flyinpiranha said:
It's good to spend time with family =P

You are all bastards. Seriously, sons of motherless rodents and all that. It was a fun time, but it wasn't nearly as exciting as it sounds. Quite a few of the girls were cute though...

Hopefully will be able to play more tonight. I was so excited because I actually got to race for a bit last night. I have spent so much time working on the Spreadsheets and gift cars and such, I haven't actually raced in days.

You all are a demanding bunch!

legbone

man, all this hate for autovista. i kind of like it.

i would love to see an autovista for tracks. each corner (of significance) would have it's history. significant landmarks, structures, etc could be detailed. then it would have an option for a "flythrough" where the camera follows the path of the course while it is narrated. and then you could take a lap on it with a car they choose specifically for the course. i would love to see this.

Shortt Sirket said:
You are all bastards. Seriously, sons of motherless rodents and all that. It was a fun time, but it wasn't nearly as exciting as it sounds. Quite a few of the girls were cute though...

Hopefully will be able to play more tonight. I was so excited because I actually got to race for a bit last night. I have spent so much time working on the Spreadsheets and gift cars and such, I haven't actually raced in days.

You all are a demanding bunch!

Haha! Spreadsheets can wait! Do some racing! Plus you have co-leaders, the best part about being a boss is workload reassignment.

Also, has Fanatec said anything regarding the CSShifter? I've been using paddle on my GT2 but I really want a decent shifter.

And ... for the T10 guys that read this. Any news on a patch that might make "Official Wheels" actually work within the menus of the game or at least allow me to have a second controller on while the wheel is on? (I think this might be a limitation of the Xbox interface too) Just seems like a HUGE oversight.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
legbone said:

i would love to see an autovista for tracks. each corner (of significance) would have it's history. significant landmarks, structures, etc could be detailed. then it would have an option for a "flythrough" where the camera follows the path of the course while it is narrated. and then you could take a lap on it with a car they choose specifically for the course. i would love to see this.

Agreed, that is the next logical step for Forza 5.

Using a controller in rivals mode is infuriating. It just seems impossible at times against some people on my friends list. I buy a "good tune" or try and make my own, and still get demolished by 2-3 seconds on certain tracks. All assists off, suck. Put certain assists back on, still suck. Still really fun, just sad knowing for the most part I'll never really be able to compete. When i do beat someone on my friends list after trying a long time it does feel quite good though. Anyone know if/when they are going to update it with new races/tracks?

amar212

flyinpiranha said:
Also, has Fanatec said anything regarding the CSShifter? I've been using paddle on my GT2 but I really want a decent shifter.

And ... for the T10 guys that read this. Any news on a patch that might make "Official Wheels" actually work within the menus of the game or at least allow me to have a second controller on while the wheel is on? (I think this might be a limitation of the Xbox interface too) Just seems like a HUGE oversight.

1. At this point all focus of Fanatec is towards getting CSR Elite and CSR pedals available in the worldwide market ASAP. As I am aware, first examples of CSShifter could be ready for initial testing during December, as CSRE wheel becomes available.

2) There is no way we'll ever get wheel and controller working separately because X360 allows only one input device to be connected (assigned) per user (ID). Of course, it is just one of the drawbacks of X360 assignment-policy but it mostly hurts Forza game-series IMO and I really hate that since FM2.

rocksteady1983 said:
Using a controller in rivals mode is infuriating. It just seems impossible at times against some people on my friends list. I buy a "good tune" or try and make my own, and still get demolished by 2-3 seconds on certain tracks. All assists off, suck. Put certain assists back on, still suck. Still really fun, just sad knowing for the most part I'll never really be able to compete. When i do beat someone on my friends list after trying a long time it does feel quite good though. Anyone know if/when they are going to update it with new races/tracks?

I am not saying this to be mean, I promise, but it is not the controller that is the problem. A lot of the Top Times are done with controllers, it is the driver. I am resigned to the fact that I am just not good enough to beat certain people in the Club. I would suggest picking people just slightly below your best time and start working toward those. I tend to get bored if I can't beat someone within like 5 laps, so I don't progress up the board that quickly.

Shortt Sirket said:
I am not saying this to be mean, I promise, but it is not the controller that is the problem. A lot of the Top Times are done with controllers, it is the driver. I am resigned to the fact that I am just not good enough to beat certain people in the Club. I would suggest picking people just slightly below your best time and start working toward those. I tend to get bored if I can't beat someone within like 5 laps, so I don't progress up the board that quickly.
I hear ya. I think a lot of it deals with several factors, but like you said, indeed driver is probably the biggest (and I do suck lol). I think my biggest issue is my braking with the controller. I just can't seem ease into braking, it seems like I push a little and it brakes too much and throws off the entire damn lap. I guess its like anything, just need to practice. I finally switched to simulation steering for at least a D class car and it wasn't too bad but didn't really notice a difference. Are there any advantages to it for a controller player?

rocksteady1983 said:
I hear ya. I think a lot of it deals with several factors, but like you said, indeed driver is probably the biggest (and I do suck lol). I think my biggest issue is my braking with the controller. I just can't seem ease into braking, it seems like I push a little and it brakes too much and throws off the entire damn lap. I guess its like anything, just need to practice. I finally switched to simulation steering for at least a D class car and it wasn't too bad but didn't really notice a difference. Are there any advantages to it for a controller player?

Turn off ABS. I know it sounds crazy, but I have got drastically better ever since I turned off ABS at the start of Forza 4. It makes you really focus on braking threshold limits and you will stop quicker that way then with ABS on. The ABS is shit and probably takes you twice the distance to stop. If you need to, mess with the braking force option in the Tuning. You can turn it up and down to fit how you like to brake. It might take some tweaking, but I honestly feel like I am MUCH better now that I have turned off ABS.

Shortt Sirket said:
Turn off ABS. I know it sounds crazy, but I have got drastically better ever since I turned off ABS at the start of Forza 4. It makes you really focus on braking threshold limits and you will stop quicker that way then with ABS on. The ABS is shit and probably takes you twice the distance to stop. If you need to, mess with the braking force option in the Tuning. You can turn it up and down to fit how you like to brake. It might take some tweaking, but I honestly feel like I am MUCH better now that I have turned off ABS.
Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I guess I always just feared turning off ABS with a controller it would be harder to NOT lock up the brakes, at least for me. Do you use Manual w/auto clutch? I tried that one time and I was terrible at it. I like the idea of it though and know the benefits of shifting when you want, it was like my fingers didn't want to work though lol.

Is there a "tuning for morons" thread or post or video that really dumbs down what everything does and good starting points and what not? The descriptions in Forza 4 help some, but I adjust some stuff and am probably just making the car worse. I tried looking off of some GT5 tunes but some of the numbers are different and don't register correctly with Forza 4.

Aurarian

Anyone know if I'll be able to complete Rivals achievement without being online. Live runs out tomorrow and I won't be renewing for a while. Does the one in the career mode count towards "Born Competitor?"

rocksteady1983 said:
Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I guess I always just feared turning off ABS with a controller it would be harder to NOT lock up the brakes, at least for me. Do you use Manual w/auto clutch? I tried that one time and I was terrible at it. I like the idea of it though and know the benefits of shifting when you want, it was like my fingers didn't want to work though lol.

I am not up to Manual/Clutch yet. I just use manual most of the time, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with it so I turn on Auto. The key about turning off ABS is to learn how to push the triggers in just enough to really work the brakes but not enough to make them lock up. Turn off ABS and then run around like Kaido or something with lots of turns to get a feel for how far you can push the triggers in. I think about 1/3ish is about normal, but I am not sure since it has become basically muscle memory. You start to really "feel" and hear how the car reacts and you know if you need to let off or push it a bit more. Also be sure to read ALL the info on the Tuning screen. There is also a lot of real world information on how suspensions/brake bias/toe/camber/etc work, but the game does a pretty nice job on explaining it. Also you can look at the ForzaTune calculator that gives you a nice base start that you can then modify to fit your driving style. That is the key to remember with the "tunes," since everyone has a different driving style, they might not work as well for you as they do for other people. The Free Drive under Upgrade is great for tuning because it lets you make changes on the fly. It took me a little while to really understand how the tuning really works, but once you get it you can quickly set your base for MR/FR/AWD and then modify it.

rocksteady1983 said:
Is there a "tuning for morons" thread or post or video that really dumbs down what everything does and good starting points and what not? The descriptions in Forza 4 help some, but I adjust some stuff and am probably just making the car worse. I tried looking off of some GT5 tunes but some of the numbers are different and don't register correctly with Forza 4.

Here is a good place to start. Another good thing for tire temp is to hit UP and bring the telemetry after a few hard laps and look at the inside/middle/outside temperature of the tires. You want them to all have the same temp. If one part is cooler than the rest, it means it is not touching the tarmac enough which is lowering your grip. Adjust toe/camber and then keep running until they are all close to each other.

SarBear

Oh....ok. I see how it is. Gonna keep making me beat you, Retro? And you, Nagge, now you wanna crush my Infineon time?

The next couple days are going to be splendid. Unfortunate I can't beat those times at the moment. I have to step out. But when I come back.....better be prepared!

Mascot

legbone said:

I certainly don't hate it, but I am surprisingly indifferent to it. I think I've looked at two cars since launch day and have no real urge to go further. I'm sure I'll get around to checking the all out at some point but the wow factor from the April leak petered out pretty quickly for me. I mean, it's all very impressive from a technical perspective but I guess deep down I'm always calmly thinking "...all the time and resources that went into this ...it must have been a significant drain... why didn't they funnel some of it into some more FUCKING TRACKS FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!".

Mascot said:
I certainly don't hate it, but I am surprisingly indifferent to it. I think I've looked at two cars since launch day and have no real urge to go further. I'm sure I'll get around to checking the all out at some point but the wow factor from the April leak petered out pretty quickly for me. I mean, it's all very impressive from a technical perspective but I guess deep down I'm always calmly thinking "...all the time and resources that went into this ...it must have been a significant drain... why didn't they funnel some of it into some more FUCKING TRACKS FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!".

Yeah, I think its amazing as a car person, but I don't spend a lot of time in it. I do wish it had the screensaver mode like the front menu does. It is a great feature to show off to people but once you have really seen it all there isn't a reason to keep going back.

Does anyone know what is going on with the Unicorns? I know they said something in the Week in Review, but I haven't got my car from the Game with the Devs yet. I wonder if it is a similar problem to the PreOrder Unicorn cars.

mblitek said:
I bought the Season's Pass
:(
, how do I download the new cars?

Someone posted on the last page or two: go to the XBLA marketplace and download the free Sirocco R.

Once you've got it, launch FM4 and go to its marketplace. You'll be able to purchase the pack for free.

nagge

SarBear said:
Oh....ok. I see how it is. Gonna keep making me beat you, Retro? And you, Nagge, now you wanna crush my Infineon time?

The next couple days are going to be splendid. Unfortunate I can't beat those times at the moment. I have to step out. But when I come back.....better be prepared!

Yep, and you can check out maple valley as well ;)

Yoritomo

rocksteady1983 said:

I hadn't driven with a controller yet, but wanted to see how fast it can be.

I was within 1.5 seconds of my acura nsx rivals time within 4 laps (had a 2:24.9 on the 4th lap). That's with normal steering and everything else off and manual w/clutch.

The controller benefits from instantaneous limit based turn in. It's easy to turn in too hard with a wheel and go flying in a random direction, correcting oversteer is hairy due to the retarded oversteering ratio change, however with a controller all that goes away.

The hardest part of driving with a controller is just finding the throttle and braking positions that work. Having such limited travel makes it difficult to be perfect and trail braking becomes more difficult, but I find I can turn in slightly faster with a controller.

Ultimately because of that advantage the controller will end up being faster.

I probably should try driving with the wheel on normal instead of simulation steering.

DasRaven

mblitek said:
I bought the Season's Pass
:(
, how do I download the new cars?

As of yesterday evening, you could just go to the in-game marketplace and select the new car pack (marked as free for SP holders) and start the download from there. That worked fine for me this morning.

You use normal steering Yoritomo? I am surprised, I thought all the top times were Simulation. Does it not say on the Leaderboards if you are using Normal or Sim steering? I have been doing all my Rivals stuff with Sim steering.

Yoritomo

Shortt Sirket said:
You use normal steering Yoritomo? I am surprised, I thought all the top times were Simulation. Does it not say on the Leaderboards if you are using Normal or Sim steering? I have been doing all my Rivals stuff with Sim steering.

I used normal when experimenting with controller. I use Sim steering with the wheel.

I don't think normal or sim steering shows up on leaderboards at all.

Yoritomo said:
I used normal when experimenting with controller. I use Sim steering with the wheel.

I don't think normal or sim steering shows up on leaderboards at all.

I have been using Sim with my controller for all my times. Now you got me wondering how much faster I might be if I switch to normal. I honestly thought it said something for which you chose. I dunno, that feels sort of odd that it doesn't make that differentiation.

if you are a smooth driver it doesn't matter, I find the only difference with normal and sim is the lack of auto counter steering when the back of the car let's loose in turns which would ruin a fast lap anyway.

skyfinch

They really need a quick way to jump from event listing to "buy car" or even give the option to "buy car" when you highlight a grey square.

Anyway, bought every car needed to complete event listing. Roughly about 30% complete.

Yoritomo

Part of me picking normal with a controller is I'm a tapper. Steering is always tap, tap, tap to get the right angle. Sim would probably punish that sort of driving style a bit more. I never mastered rolling which to me would be the only way for true precision on the analog pad.

Oh and to people complaining about the nsx. I completely see what you mean with a controller. I just have to say that with a wheel it's a completely different car. It's neutral with slight throttle. It will oversteer on lift off or more liberal throttle application but you can completely predict and steer the car with the throttle. It's perfectly balanced. With the controller it's harder to find the precision, but easier in other areas (turn in and rolling off the steering as you accelerate out of a turn.)

Yoritomo said:
Part of me picking normal with a controller is I'm a tapper. Steering is always tap, tap, tap to get the right angle. Sim would probably punish that sort of driving style a bit more. I never mastered rolling which to me would be the only way for true precision on the analog pad.

Oh and to people complaining about the nsx. I completely see what you mean with a controller. I just have to say that with a wheel it's a completely different car. It's neutral with slight throttle. It will oversteer on lift off or more liberal throttle application but you can completely predict and steer the car with the throttle. It's perfectly balanced. With the controller it's harder to find the precision, but easier in other areas (turn in and rolling off the steering as you accelerate out of a turn.)

Now you really have me curious. Despite all my best efforts, I am still a tapper when not using the Speed Wheel. I might throw on Normal steering for some Rivals and see how it goes just out of curiosity.

Mr.Green said:
MY CAR! WHERE IS MY CAR?

Oh, I have it ready! I was just waiting for you to accept my friend request. You deserve this monstrosity.

sneaky77

Yoritomo said:
I probably should try driving with the wheel on normal instead of simulation steering.

it may make you faster.. but imo.. if you have a wheel, why would you do that? Then again I don't have to worry about saving a second to be in the top of the leaderboard.. but since it doesn't really count against you to use all assists, I am not surprised that the steering is not taken into account either.

Since I started playing with a wheel I find it hard to ever go back to a controller with Forza, the level of fun is just so much more for me

Yoritomo

I've already sacrificed using the sequential with clutch over the h gate with clutch, due to lag issues with the h gate shifter and standing starts.

I don't think I'll ever use normal when racing online but for rivals events every little fraction counts.

Chasing leaderboard times isn't really that fun though :/ Because there's a difference between getting the perfect lap and nailing a top 50 time over and over again compared to finding the absolute limits of what makes a lap dirty and exploiting assists and glitches to get in the top 10.

What I'm trying to say is fuck the engine swapped super bee and dart.

I Love b -class, but those 2 cars are making it really irritating.

nagge

It would be nice to see on the leaderboards who use what kind of steering.
I've never tried normal steering, and even the few times I play with a controller I have no real problems with sim steering.

And yes, glitch car ruins the experience, I wont touch them even if it means being many seconds from the top.

guest1321

nagge said:
It would be nice to see on the leaderboards who use what kind of steering.
I've never tried normal steering, and even the few times I play with a controller I have no real problems with sim steering.

And yes, glitch car ruins the experience, I wont touch them even if it means being many seconds from the top.
Sorry but what is a glitch car?

G Rom

Haven't tried normal steering in Forza 4 but the difference in steering response when in sim steering is huge with the controller compared to Forza 3 IMO. Turn in response is much faster even if there's still some lag.
I wish I had a steering wheel though even if I were to loose time in the process. I've tried extensively GT5 with a DFP and it's just much more precise (the DS3 is shit IMO so that's expected) and way more fun.

nagge, you're playing with a wheel right ?

nagge

G Rom said:
nagge, you're playing with a wheel right ?

Yup, except the times I just want a quick race or try a new car out, but if those times were to make it on any leaderboard you can tell what I'm using as I play without the clutch on the controller :)

Top Bottom