• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Arucardo

Noticed that the potentiometer on my G25 pedals is starting to go bad. In pc sims you can see small spikes when holding it still and in Forza you can't max it without changing the dead zone values. Already ordered a new one and changing it is pretty straight forward, hopefully I'll get the part this week.

The whole thing is making me consider selling my whole G25 set and get the CSR Elite pedals for the Fanatec ;) .

SarBear

Any chance you could help others out too GRom/SarBear?
I was having an ok time taking shots in FM3, but i cant seem to make this version suit my habits...

This is the best I could come up with so far...is it ok?
I can see what you mean with regards to the bloom on exposure and how little difference brightness and contrast settings make...
6627371259_9412f2c9ee_b.jpg

When I get home from school, I'll write up the new events and also share a few things about my settings when I take pictures.

Gowans

Had a amazing session online with some of my mates last night. Used some shared cars and I have learn't if it's tuned by my friends then it's worse than stock.

Seanspeed

Banned
Neogaf Italia livery is up for grabs on my storefront.

I've already adopted it to the new pagani...
Yay!

Let me know if you need another test driver :)
Yea, no offense Crude, but somebody like Ox would be an ideal person to test out cars. He's ridiculously consistent, which is important to ensure that the cars actually do perform similar lap times, and its not just due to inconsistencies in the laps.

He's also quick in pretty much any sort of car, unlike somebody like me who struggles with pretty much anything thats not RWD or at least heavily rear-biased.

Here is the last paint for tonight guys, It's very simple but I really don't have more time, I gotta go get some sleep. The paint will be on the storefront probably till Wednesday (maybe Thursday) and I'll try to redo it a little, to give it more spark (not enough time now). It's not bad, it's just simple but there might be people that gonna like it :)

6626774659_fd8a33391e_z.jpg

I love it. I've never believed that more complicated automatically means better looking.

nagge

Yea, no offense Crude, but somebody like Ox would be an ideal person to test out cars. He's ridiculously consistent, which is important to ensure that the cars actually do perform similar lap times, and its not just due to inconsistencies in the laps.

He's also quick in pretty much any sort of car, unlike somebody like me who struggles with pretty much anything thats not RWD or at least heavily rear-biased.

Thanks for the confident, not sure about the latter part though as I drive RWD 99% of the time :)

Not that sure about the consistent part either, hehe :D

ForzaGAF.png

1. Dead Poul - 232
2. Ox nagge - 223
3. Seanspeed - 168

CrudeDiatribe - 114
retroBrand - 113
Muerte X - 81
Granholme - 76
Big Takeover - 70
ZORBS - 62
P3tran - 57
Shortt Sirket - 50
SoundScream13 - 49
Union 360 - 38
Rotavelle - 27
Luckie Lordie - 24
British Meat - 21
x Grassy x - 16
str8buzkitty - 15
Templar Wizard - 12
Mr. Nightman - 11
Sneaky77 - 10
Crunchin Jelly - 7
russtic - 7
Guest1321 - 6
Slayer33 - 5
LiquidSnake - 2

As always, a full rundown of the points can be found HERE.

---------------
Edit: When we start Season 2, what would people like for the new Spec races? Focus? Mustang? Civic Type R? Pinto? Corvette? Ferrari 355 Challenge?

Seanspeed

Banned
Hehe, it goes both ways ;)

Edit: Crude could just share the builds via his storefront and we could all set times, that way we really test the balance with different driving styles.
But then would you assume that a certain laptime is due to that different driving style, or because that person can just put in better/worse laps in general?

You'd probably want to keep the variables at a minimum.

For example, lets say I use a BMW and do a 1:30.0 at a track. You use a Mercedes and also do a 1:30.0 at the same track. Can we assume those cars are equal? Or perhaps your lap was just a lot better than mine and the Mercedes actually isn't as good as the BMW?

1. Dead Poul 232
2. Ox nagge 223
3. Seanspeed 168
:(

I had a great time this last weekend, but seeing that hurts.

nagge

But then would you assume that a certain laptime is due to that different driving style, or because that person can just put in better/worse laps in general?

You'd probably want to keep the variables at a minimum.

For example, lets say I use a BMW and do a 1:30.0 at a track. You use a Mercedes and also do a 1:30.0 at the same track. Can we assume those cars are equal? Or perhaps your lap was just a lot better than mine and the Mercedes actually isn't as good as the BMW?

More to see like a trend. If everyone is consistently faster with say the merc, there's clearly something wrong with the balance. If you have one person testing the cars and is faster with the merc, there's no way to tell if it's driving style or just a balance issue.

More to see like a trend. If everyone is consistently faster with say the merc, there's clearly something wrong with the balance. If you have one person testing the cars and is faster with the merc, there's no way to tell if it's driving style or just a balance issue.

Yeah, I say its better to have different people test the cars and then upgrade them to make them consistent. Then switch the cars around to different people and see the results.

gragy10

I remember now that Granholme missed his pit on lap 4, so he went ahead and pitted on lap 5, which can account for some of the change up.

Lol - i'd forgotten about the pitstop rule and had no voice chat til the 2nd half of the race. Kind of wondered why i was heading up the order so quick.
+1 on the idea of a classic DTM race/tournament too - already got a 190E in works Sonax livery from '92 :)
Just spent a ton on wifi extender, new router, aerials etc so hopefully the wayward car morphing will be gone this weekend

Seanspeed

Banned
True. As long as everybody was putting in a good effort to properly assess the cars and not just one or two laps with each. Which would be my worry.

I dont know. I guess there's time to think about it. I just remember when I was a lot less experienced with racing games, all I could tell between most cars was how they 'felt', which doesn't always exactly correlate to lap times. My laps were simply too inconsistent to tell whether a laptime was due to the car or just me nailing a better than usual lap. A usual lap being a fairly crap one.

nagge

True. As long as everybody was putting in a good effort to properly assess the cars and not just one or two laps with each. Which would be my worry.

I dont know. I guess there's time to think about it. I just remember when I was a lot less experienced with racing games, all I could tell between most cars was how they 'felt', which doesn't always exactly correlate to lap times. My laps were simply too inconsistent to tell whether a laptime was due to the car or just me nailing a better than usual lap. A usual lap being a fairly crap one.

I guess the judgement should be made on the fastest lap times set with each car, regardless of who set them. That way the true potential of the cars are assessed when balancing them, the time that is possible to set is what should be interesting.

Seanspeed

Banned
I guess the judgement should be made on the fastest lap times set with each car, regardless of who set them. That way the true potential of the cars are assessed when balancing them, the time that is possible to set is what should be interesting.
The way I see if a car is competitive or not is to take a car into hotlap mode and race against a ghost to see how close I am to that ghost on a regular basis. Even if I dont necessarily beat the ghost, so long as I'm usually there or thereabouts, I will say the car is competitive.

My problem with using just fastest laps is that I've seen how rivals mode can reduce laptimes over a period of time. An initial laptime of 1:30.0 in a BMW may seem really good, but with some more effort, a 1:29.2 might be possible. But what if nobody puts in that extra effort for that car while somebody DOES put extra effort into using a Mercedes and gets a 1:29.8. Realistically, that Mercedes is probably about half a second slower, but the fastest laps aren't truly representing the 'true potential'.

I guess there's pros/cons with any approach taken.

Or maybe I'm just making too much of this? Much of my job involves coming up with efficient processes for things, so I tend to get a little analytical about this sort of stuff. I'm always looking for faults in a process, not necessarily to put somebody's idea down, but to ensure there's no potential problems being overlooked.

Anyways, how long is this season gonna last? When will Season 2 be? Maybe I missed out on the conversation, but I dont remember actually talking about this. I'm guessing we'll have a decent amount of time to sort all this out, right?

nagge

I agree there's a problem as you say with the amount of time and practice one puts into a car, misrepresenting the true potential of each car. In a perfect scenario everyone would put just the same amount of time in to each of the different cars, but I doubt that will happen.

Yea, no offense Crude, but somebody like Ox would be an ideal person to test out cars.

Oh, jesus, I wasn't going to try and build cars for a multi-car spec series and stamp 'done' on them after I'd faffed about for a while.

Crude could just share the builds via his storefront and we could all set times, that way we really test the balance with different driving styles.

Will post them to my Storefront when I get home from work (~6 hours).

When the community did balancing for this sort of thing for another racing game I played, the cars were balanced by consensus. There was a frighteningly fast and consistent driver involved (the Stig's German cousin).

The Mercedes especially is going to have an advantage because of the aerodynamic package, though you'd hope that would be reflected in the PI.

IIRC, right now, at PI600, the Merc is both faster and has better handling than the Mustang, but the Mustang has better acceleration and braking. The M3 is somewhere in the middle.

I wish I had the patience for that much testing/tuning. I just have none.

I don't have a lot. My hope is to get them to a ball park and have it so that the cars are close enough that everyone doesn't take the same damn car. If we do do this DTM-inspired series than the German cars should be the majority, but a few imports would add some spice.

Edit: When we start Season 2, what would people like for the new Spec races? Focus? Mustang? Civic Type R? Pinto? Corvette? Ferrari 355 Challenge?

I think the Ferrari 355 C makes a lot of sense, with no upgrades (but tuning allowed). I wish the little 3.5L V8 sounded better, though, it's a bit whiney. Going from the irritating Mazda to one of the few irritating Ferraris seems like a missed opportunity, somehow. Maybe we pick one of the other challenge-series Ferraris? 360/430/458? (Isn't one of those a unicorn? the 458C is DLC).

One of the SÉAT Cupra cars is the cup racing model that would allow tuning without upgrades and may be a worthwhile choice for us. Renault Clio V6 was used for spec racing as well, which could be a riot.

One of the SÉAT Cupra cars is the cup racing model that would allow tuning without upgrades and may be a worthwhile choice for us. Renault Clio V6 was used for spec racing as well, which could be a riot.

Those are both brilliant ideas. This is why I am asking, to see what people like and to get interesting ideas.

As for when Season 2 starts, I am not sure. There is still some stuff up in the air and I have been talking to SarBear. Hopefully we will have more information soon.

nagge

When we start Season 2, what would people like for the new Spec races? Focus? Mustang? Civic Type R? Pinto? Corvette? Ferrari 355 Challenge?

Trans-Am :)

A 458 spec series would be nice, it might be a bit powerful though.

Oh, and I hope tuning is free for the DTM series, but using the same parts.

Trans-Am :)

A 458 spec series would be nice, it might be a bit powerful though.

Oh, and I hope tuning is free for the DTM series, but using the same parts.

Yeah, I am slightly hesitant to pick anything above a B class. I want these races to be something everyone can really enjoy and sometimes those faster cars are just not fun for some people. I am always open to suggestions though and I am sure SarBear might already have some ideas. lol

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I am slightly hesitant to pick anything above a B class. I want these races to be something everyone can really enjoy and sometimes those faster cars are just not fun for some people. I am always open to suggestions though and I am sure SarBear might already have some ideas. lol

Slower cars are a good idea. These hyper cars are great fun, but if *I'm* having trouble controlling them, I feel bad for the less-experienced guys.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just a suggestion
from someone who rarely makes it to races and when he does he gets dropped
, how about evo/sti spec races (open to all years models or restricted by a certain year)? those cars are extremely close in performance and are quite popular. the awd should help less experienced racers, while others could convert them to rwd if they so chose. maybe B or A class?

Run into the same issues of balance as in the DTM stuff, but otherwise I'm all in favour.

Can tuning setups be shared unlocked?

If you gift them, yes. I think the best way would be to lock down the actual upgrades that keep it competitive and then gift those out. That way people can still actually tune their car. We will have to use the honor system that people won't change their parts around.

I mean a specific trans-am, just pick a year :)

1965 Mustang in B-class is rather nice as well.

Oh. In that case, A600 '70 Boss Mustang is a blast. The Camaro works really well too.

We could take IROC-style Firebirds around Sunset's infield.

Any requests for videos or captures? I am really enjoying my new capture card so I am up for any suggestions or requests.

First few minutes of the Nurburgring race on Sunday. Had a couple of very near misses at speed.

guest1321

Alright so I'm really confused, I know for sure that I have raced on certain track locations and when I go to see which ones I have times in (free play > pick track > leader boards), half of them do not show up at all. I was curious as to what was going on so I tried a hot lap and went and checked the leader boards again. No luck.

So I'm curious, is it the servers being down that aren't saving my times? And if so, is there a log on your save file that keeps track of which track locations you have raced at? This would make the most sense as it would be impossible otherwise to get the achievement without an internet connection.

It really pisses me off that they have this achievement but absolutely no good way to see which tracks you have raced on. It's as if they just want you to stumble across it on your millionth hour of playing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Alright so I'm really confused, I know for sure that I have raced on certain track locations and when I go to see which ones I have times in (free play > pick track > leader boards), half of them do not show up at all. I was curious as to what was going on so I tried a hot lap and went and checked the leader boards again. No luck.

So I'm curious, is it the servers being down that aren't saving my times? And if so, is there a log on your save file that keeps track of which track locations you have raced at? This would make the most sense as it would be impossible otherwise to get the achievement without an internet connection.

It really pisses me off that they have this achievement but absolutely no good way to see which tracks you have raced on. It's as if they just want you to stumble across it on your millionth hour of playing.

its crazy, i have 60 hours + of racing in, about 50% of the event list done, and i still dont have the achievement...

Apparently there is a glitch with some of the cars that have stock matte paint. If you choose that option, when you go to add a vinyl, it starts as a matte finish. So you can take your cars and make them any color you want with matte paint by using the vinyls.

ElNino

Apparently there is a glitch with some of the cars that have stock matte paint. If you choose that option, when you go to add a vinyl, it starts as a matte finish. So you can take your cars and make them any color you want with matte paint by using the vinyls.
That sounds awesome. Which cars have a stock matte pain option?

IIRC, it's not many: one of the Maseratis and some of the Lamborghinis- Aventador and Reventón. The Sesto Elemento is matte, but you can't put any decals on it.

I just don't understand why its not an option for all cars. I mean, they have the shaders and all that worked out!! I just don't understand why we can't just use matte paint.

ARGH, it just keeps coming back to annoy me.

derFeef

This is probably a silly question - but can I use the cars of clubmembers that have the DLC cars, without owning the DLC and/or season pass myself?

This is probably a silly question - but can I use the cars of clubmembers that have the DLC cars, without owning the DLC and/or season pass myself?

Unfortunately no. Basically because your system doesn't have the needed files for that car, so it doesn't exist to your game.

G Rom

Unfortunately no. Basically because your system doesn't have the needed files for that car, so it doesn't exist to your game.
Not really, technically you can download the free car to get all the cars on your system.
It's just a limitation put in place by either Turn 10 or MS.

As for the matte paint, I don't understand why they don't allow it either, especially considering it was an option in the first Forza ! :-/
What's worse is that the racing Lambo shows they could even do multiple type of paints because the bodywork is matte while the stickers aren't on this car...

Not really, technically you can download the free car to get all the cars on your system.
It's just a limitation put in place by either Turn 10 or MS.

As for the matte paint, I don't understand why they don't allow it either, especially considering it was an option in the first Forza ! :-/
What's worse is that the racing Lambo shows they could even do multiple type of paints because the bodywork is matte while the stickers aren't on this car...

You are right, I forgot all about the download car. I was just thinking that without downloading anything, the system wouldn't understand the car existed.

Top Bottom