• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hockenheimring is my current nemesis. I just can't seem to nail my braking before that super hairpin (I call it the Rhino horn), and some of the turns are hard to see coming without committing every single pixel to memory. Flat tracks aren't your forte Turn 10.

But one day I will discover the mysteries of this track!

At the very least its pretty awesome to watch replays of the best lap times. Some players truly know how to push their cars to the very limit.

there are a series of tire marks entering into the corner, with most cars you can get just past the 3rd mark. the first 2 are on the left side of the road, almost together, the 3rd, and the one you want to brake after, is after and more centered. at least if i remember correctly, this post is made entirely from memory.

there are a series of tire marks entering into the corner, with most cars you can get just past the 3rd mark. the first 2 are on the left side of the road, almost together, the 3rd, and the one you want to brake after, is after and more centered. at least if i remember correctly, this post is made entirely from memory.
Any help is appreciated, so thank you. I'll keep an eye out for those marks. The track is so damn flat it can be difficult to get your bearings.

op_ivy

Any help is appreciated, so thank you. I'll keep an eye out for those marks. The track is so damn flat it can be difficult to get your bearings.

yeah, i hate it. i think i may actually prefer indy!

but honestly, they both suck. thank god we at least got infineon or the new real-life tracks added to fm4 would be a complete bust IMO

Seanspeed

Banned
Hockenheimring is my current nemesis. I just can't seem to nail my braking before that super hairpin (I call it the Rhino horn), and some of the turns are hard to see coming without committing every single pixel to memory. Flat tracks aren't your forte Turn 10.

But one day I will discover the mysteries of this track!

At the very least its pretty awesome to watch replays of the best lap times. Some players truly know how to push their cars to the very limit.

There's distance markers on the side of the road, so there should be no problem in judging your braking point.

I'm willing to bet money that your problem is that you are arriving at the braking point at different speeds most every time, making the 'perfect' braking point elusive. What you need to look at is how you come off the corner leading on to the long back straight. Its a tricky corner and the immediate, off-camber left-hand kink makes it even more difficult, especially in a high-powered car where its hard to get grip down. What you need to do is work on that corner and get some consistent form through it.

This is made even more difficult by the very 1st corner of the track being difficult to be consistent through each lap, so arriving at the next corner in the same way each lap is a compounding difficulty.

This lesson can be applied to many different tracks. If you get a good exit out of a corner, your braking point for the next corner will be earlier than if you got a worse exit since you're arriving at a different speed. Learning to be really quick involves learning consistency. And learning to be a great racer involves learning to adjust or adapt your braking point or your driving line when need be, whether its caused by a mistake by you or having somebody near you that you need cover, overtake, or leave room for.

This shit is an art form. The best guys make it look easy, but the amount of stuff going on underneath is pretty crazy.

Personally, I love the challenge it provides. You cant blame Turn 10 for anything. Its the exact same in real-life. And I love the 2nd half of the track. Some great corners - a mix of fast and flowing and technical and demanding. You need both skill and balls to do well there.

SarBear

There's distance markers on the side of the road, so there should be no problem in judging your braking point.

I'm willing to bet money that your problem is that you are arriving at the braking point at different speeds most every time, making the 'perfect' braking point elusive. What you need to look at is how you come off the corner leading on to the long back straight. Its a tricky corner and the immediate, off-camber left-hand kink makes it even more difficult, especially in a high-powered car where its hard to get grip down. What you need to do is work on that corner and get some consistent form through it.

This is made even more difficult by the very 1st corner of the track being difficult to be consistent through each lap, so arriving at the next corner in the same way each lap is a compounding difficulty.

This lesson can be applied to many different tracks. If you get a good exit out of a corner, your braking point for the next corner will be earlier than if you got a worse exit since you're arriving at a different speed. Learning to be really quick involves learning consistency. And learning to be a great racer involves learning to adjust or adapt your braking point or your driving line when need be, whether its caused by a mistake by you or having somebody near you that you need cover, overtake, or leave room for.

This shit is an art form. The best guys make it look easy, but the amount of stuff going on underneath is pretty crazy.

Personally, I love the challenge it provides. You cant blame Turn 10 for anything. Its the exact same in real-life. And I love the 2nd half of the track. Some great corners - a mix of fast and flowing and technical and demanding. You need both skill and balls to do well there.

;)

I try. It's scary as hell every single time, though. lol

Bro, you need to come race with us this weekend. I'm promising you, the intel you learn with us will go a long way. I've learned so much watching Seanspeen, Nagge, Retrobrand, and others.

BTW, I'm drunk as FUCK right now.

Thanks for the advice Seanspeed. Consistency with the controller has been the hardest thing for me to get right, it's true. Though with enough practice I can learn the rhythm of the track and try to hone my technique. I'll try to pay more attention to smooth and consistent exits.

And I didn't mean to blame Turn 10 for Hockenheim being a personally difficult track - its more of a graphics/sim complaint. The flatter and longer the track the more the turns and trackside detail disappear into pixelated noise and the more you lose your sense of distance and depth. Its a limitation of the medium I think, but made even worse by the layout of certain tracks.

I have a feeling I'm going to grow to like Hockenheimring once I can break it in.

I might be in on Sunday. Put me as tentative. We didn't get to go to the Chicago Auto show yesterday so we are aiming on Sunday. If we don't go then I will be there to race.

UFC and KoA have just been sucking all my time recently.

op_ivy

I might be in on Sunday. Put me as tentative. We didn't get to go to the Chicago Auto show yesterday so we are aiming on Sunday. If we don't go then I will be there to race.

UFC and KoA have just been sucking all my time recently.

KoA? as in, white trash camping?

op_ivy

As in Kingdoms of Amalur. What in the world are you talking about?

KoA, Kampgrounds of America!

61508742.jpg

the perfect vacation!

op_ivy

:(

I really like KoA camp grounds. Shit.

there is a pretty killer one in willits CA, near ukiah, with an awesome disc golf course, miniture golf, and even a petting zoo!

so yeah, whats to hate?

not real camping though. /camping snob

op_ivy

Introducing my Kaido challenger. 415hp, 2584lbs, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. My Golf R-Rally edition:

oHmmf.jpg

sounds like a beast. i wont be able to race this weekend, but i'll try to find the time to throw a car together and post some times here for the hell of it. would be nice to see some others too as you practice for sunday

G Rom

Introducing my Kaido challenger. 415hp, 2584lbs, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. My Golf R-Rally edition:

oHmmf.jpg
I won't race either but I'm building cars as we speak and I already got your Golf beaten (on paper) by the Polo GTI I just built. :p
0-60 in 2.67s, 2600 lbs, 441 hp.
The Scirocco R is a little bit slower on paper (3.1s) but handles like a dream with its race package.

BTW, shouldn't the cars be restricted to Production hatchbacks to exclude the Velsoter and the 207 S2000 ?

Seanspeed

Banned
sounds like a beast. i wont be able to race this weekend, but i'll try to find the time to throw a car together and post some times here for the hell of it. would be nice to see some others too as you practice for sunday
I'll have some times to post soon. Gonna work more on the setup first, though.

I won't race either but I'm building cars as we speak and I already got your Golf beaten (on paper) by the Polo GTI I just built. :p
0-60 in 2.67s, 2600 lbs, 441 hp.
The Scirocco R is a little bit slower on paper (3.1s) but handles like a dream with its race package.

BTW, shouldn't the cars be restricted to Production hatchbacks to exclude the Velsoter and the 207 S2000 ?
I could add a bit more power but being Kaido, its not my top priority.

And yea, taking out the race cars as options is a good idea.

SarBear

Sorry, I kinda assumed most would not use those couple cars. My fault. Been a minute since I've prepared this....so be gentle. =)

Plus, I figured most would have more fun building their own perfect Kaido romper.

SarBear

Heh. Seanspeed, you rotten summabitch. You're lucky I cannot for the life of me control that heavy piece of Dodge shit. Great time, though.

Now...*ahem*

Nurburgring Nordshliefe.....club leaderboard. S Class *cough*

Seanspeed

Banned
Heh. Seanspeed, you rotten summabitch. You're lucky I cannot for the life of me control that heavy piece of Dodge shit. Great time, though.

Now...*ahem*

Nurburgring Nordshliefe.....club leaderboard. S Class *cough*
I was really just doing it for the money. Kept stopping after every beat time. Won about a million credits doing it overall, including leveling up and whatnot. I'm actually not happy with my time. Easily another .5 to a full second left. Car handles like crap and its easy to make a costly mistake, which I did make a couple of on my lap.

Instead of paying a monthly due, I'd like to put down a few million as a 'year's membership' plus whatever, if thats ok. I *will* be playing this game for the next year and more, so there's no worry about me going anywhere. And if I do, y'all will have some extra money for it, but that shouldn't happen.

Also, to Op Ivy - first run with my revised setup on Kaido - did a 8:22.8. Its invalidated due to brushing a wall one too many times, but that only slowed me down. Definitely more time to come. Car is handling nicely, though. I'm so not used to messing around with AWD cars and I've been surprised at how much I toe I can run to get some decent turn-in. Makes a huge difference, but I'm still working on getting the rear to follow the front like I'd like it to.

As for S-class Nurburgring, phew! Its so hard to do these long tracks without getting an invalidated time. My current time looks pretty terrible, but I'll give it a go sometime soon. I see you've run a Q1 for your time. I'll bring mine out as well:

kHuIP.jpg

guest1321

new hill climb, or the first half of the full circuit (not reverse)

Okay. Well when SarBear says full circuit (uphill) for this weekend which variant is he referring to there? The way I see it, you go up and down no matter which way you go. Is one way more uphill??

op_ivy

Okay. Well when SarBear says full circuit (uphill) for this weekend which variant is he referring to there? The way I see it, you go up and down no matter which way you go. Is one way more uphill??

yeah, that was my question too. according to seanspeed, its the full circuit, which makes sense if the race is timed for 22 minutes

op_ivy

08 sti, got a 8:37 and change. pretty pleased with the uphill section, not so pleased with the downhill. i know the first half well from the suzuki rivals event a few months back but i really dont know the back half at all and i'm sure i'm losing huge time there. also, figure i'm good for at least a few seconds quicker just by having a rolling start rather than starting from a dead stop.

Muerte_X

08 sti, got a 8:37 and change. pretty pleased with the uphill section, not so pleased with the downhill. i know the first half well from the suzuki rivals event a few months back but i really dont know the back half at all and i'm sure i'm losing huge time there. also, figure i'm good for at least a few seconds quicker just by having a rolling start rather than starting from a dead stop.

Wait, so does any car with an actual hatchback count? Or is it limited to the body style as classified by the game? Because an STi doesn't fall into that category...

Bro, you need to come race with us this weekend. I'm promising you, the intel you learn with us will go a long way. I've learned so much watching Seanspeen, Nagge, Retrobrand, and others.

BTW, I'm drunk as FUCK right now.
Alright, this cracked me the fuck up :)

Been busy as hell, but I'll try to join you guys this weekend if I can. I may not have the skill, but I do have the drive and I truly love the challenge.

Seanspeed

Banned
The lap timer doesn't start til you cross the line, so when you begin, reverse back/do a U-turn and head through the very final turn of the lap. Then turn back around to the normal direction, put your foot down and you can start the lap at full-speed.

Damn - i clearly need to work on my tuning. Have been tweaking a Scirocco R but can't get it any quicker than 3.8 atm
A .7 difference from G Rom's Scirocco sounds like y'all have different builds, so its probably not a tuning problem. Also, 0-60 time isn't that important if you're doing the Kaido challenge. Getting the car around the corners well should be top priority.

op_ivy

The lap timer doesn't start til you cross the line, so when you begin, reverse back/do a U-turn and head through the very final turn of the lap. Then turn back around to the normal direction, put your foot down and you can start the lap at full-speed.

A .7 difference from G Rom's Scirocco sounds like y'all have different builds, so its probably not a tuning problem. Also, 0-60 time isn't that important if you're doing the Kaido challenge. Getting the car around the corners well should be top priority.

yeah, i invented that trick! didnt use it though as i was really focusing on re-learning the course. also, with a launch of 10, a running start would probably realistically only net me a second or so overall... not the huge gain it would otherwise be, especially on an 8 and a half minute long lap.

Wait, so does any car with an actual hatchback count? Or is it limited to the body style as classified by the game? Because an STi doesn't fall into that category...

i didnt realize the game categorized them as well. i'll look into it, but there is no way the 08 sti is not a hatch! i'm not competing sunday, but i would like to compare some times before then, so i do want to be comparing apples to apples... but i refuse to race a vw!

I really need to get back into Forza. Been spending waaaay too much time on UFC and Kingdoms of Amalur. Then next month is Mass Effect and then The Witcher 2 after that.

But no matter what, Forza is one of those games that I always come back to. It is pretty much the only one that I actually do that with. I will play other games once and enjoy them, but that is it. Forza will keep drawing me back and when it does, I start playing it like it was new again.

op_ivy

I really need to get back into Forza. Been spending waaaay too much time on UFC and Kingdoms of Amalur. Then next month is Mass Effect and then The Witcher 2 after that.

But no matter what, Forza is one of those games that I always come back to. It is pretty much the only one that I actually do that with. I will play other games once and enjoy them, but that is it. Forza will keep drawing me back and when it does, I start playing it like it was new again.

i'm the same way with both halo and forza. i'll play one non-stop for a week or two, then switch to the other. i dont play much else these days, as with my limited gaming time i'd simply rather play my main stays.

rayman did take my attention for several days though and i do plan to return to it to work towards 100% completion.

... and i'd like to spend some more time with the awesome tracks in shift 2. especially difficult due to how much better fm4 turned out.

looking forward, i'm interested in binary domain. awesome demo, loved the trailers. test drive ferrari as well. and of course, halo 4. that may be it this year for me!

SarBear

6871910675_07c7a40407_z.jpg

This Sunday, February 19th, GAF Weekend Racing League will be hosting another set of grinding, competitive racing events! Please join us at 2:30pm EST (Need a roll call on the official race time) for shit tawkin, clean racin', ham sammiches, disgruntled members, sandbagging, and all around trollin! We're doing a reboot of our second season, and it promises to be more entertaining, exciting, diverse, and strenuous than the last! Show your support!

RULES:

• No glitched cars. Ever.
  • Minimum 10 players per event type for prizes.
  • Damage for main race types will be Cosmetic and Collisions will be on.
  • 1 Lap run around BEFORE event type on said course, strictly for stretching your legs.
  • GRID WILL BE RANDOM (there's no complaint box, so deal with it)
  • Monthly membership dues are mandatory. 250k per month per member (goes towards prizes for the League, guys! I'll make an auction for you)

Also...
2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

EVENT TYPES (2):

No Chrysler, Not You! - No punch lines here, sucka! It's a french car, do we really need to make any more jokes? C'mon, punch this bad boy up, slap some stickers on it, and hit one of Florida's finest raceways for some stiff competition. FWD only? Thanks Shortt, I thought we moved away from that silly drive train. -__-

Track
  • Sebring International Raceway (Full Circuit) - 11 Laps
Restrictions
  • 2010 Renault Megane RS 250
  • Class - B 500
  • Race Brakes
  • Race Suspension
  • Race Weight Reduction
  • Full Roll Cage
  • No Aero
  • Must Be FWD
  • Must Have Race Number

Goin' Backpackin' - Speed ain't a factor here folks! You raced it before, but wait until you experience it in S class! Kaido is known for punishing those who refuse to respect her. You gotta love her curves, slow down and appreciate her subtle touches, and when the time is right....smash and dash! AWD models will dominate the field in this Sunday's event, so choose wisely.

Track
  • Fujimi Kaido (Full Circuit....the 1st race choice under Kaido) - 22 mins
Restrictions
  • Class - S 700
  • Hatchback
    Use your best judgement of what a hatchback is
  • AWD
  • > 2350 lbs
Disqualified Cars
  • 07 SEAT Leon Supercup
  • 07 Peugeot 207 Super 2000
  • 11 Hyundai #67 Veloster

OFFICIAL TIME ATTACK: (week of 2/14 - 2/21)

These will run from Tues when they are posted until Midnight EST on Monday the next week. Since the Leaderboards will not always be able to be used due to previous times set, I need everyone who is participating to PM Shortt Sirket their final times on Monday before Midnight. It would also help if you could throw a replay up on your storefront that shows your best time. Keep it on the track as only clean laps count.

Car
  • Ferrari F355 Challenge (stock)
Track
  • Mazda Laguna Seca

PRIZES

TBD, needs reworking
Still, unicorns and random cars/prizes

BONUS!:

Make a donation by auction today! :) We need your support!

Players:
Zorbsie (31) good through 4 months
Sarbear (3)
Seanspeed (21)
Muerte X (8)
CrudeDiatribe (7)
Granholme (27)
Shortt Sirket (25)
Big Takeover (77) 
Guest 1321 (18)
FiggyG (9)

Reserve:

Archer33 (1)
op_ivy (10)
Ox Nagge (33)
Rotavelle (12)
retroBrand (17)
Soundscream (13)
Templar Wizard (5)
P3Tran
Union 0015 (15)
The Japanator (89)
str8buzykltty (69)
MJLord (93)
The Stig (00)
cjelly (28)
LiquidSnake
flyinpiranha
G Rom (34)
Benjamin Birdie
Mr Nightman (88)
GrassyX
Sneaky77

Current standings always available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc#gid=0

You're in reserve until you confirm. :)
If you need an invite, please let us know.
If I get a ton of players that actually promise to show up (25 or more)...two rooms/random drawing

Muerte_X

yeah, i invented that trick! didnt use it though as i was really focusing on re-learning the course. also, with a launch of 10, a running start would probably realistically only net me a second or so overall... not the huge gain it would otherwise be, especially on an 8 and a half minute long lap.

i didnt realize the game categorized them as well. i'll look into it, but there is no way the 08 sti is not a hatch! i'm not competing sunday, but i would like to compare some times before then, so i do want to be comparing apples to apples... but i refuse to race a vw!

Yeah, I had a car picked out and that I wanted to use and started running laps, but then I told the game does that. I'd rather not be limited to the game's hatchbacks, but I'm not sure if that's what they had in mind when they created the race conditions...

op_ivy

I'll make some revisions in just a few moments so things are a bit clearer.

thanks, i'll hold of racing/tuning until you post them. if it may be a while, can you give me a quick heads up if the hatchback sti qualifies?

Yeah, I had a car picked out and that I wanted to use and started running laps, but then I told the game does that. I'd rather not be limited to the game's hatchbacks, but I'm not sure if that's what they had in mind when they created the race conditions...

i have a few others in mind if i need to switch, namely the focus rs and a fiesta.

Muerte_X

Awh, no 1993 hatchback mustang? :(

Looks like the focus RS it is...

Here's another dumb question. Under the time trial, it says stock? We were using a modded F355 before, right?

G Rom

The Making of Forza Motorsport 4: Car Sourcing

Man, there's a lot of work there just to get 1 car into the game let alone 500+!

Seriously, Nick Wiswell is a master at his work. Positioning mics at focal areas of a car is genius.
I'd love to know what other magic he has planned for FM5....

They have no shame reusing rushes from FM3 videos (Veyron scan, Ford GT dyno)... :lol
Also, they say models have to be approved by the manufacturers. Cleary the guy in charge of that at Ferrari is blind. I don't understand how the cockpits of the Ferrari can be so well done when a lot of exteriors look terrible (F40, Enzo Ferrari, taillights on pretty much anything not called 458 Italia, etc...)

Nice video though, I always love to see behind the seen stuff. I'd love to know more about how they choose cars, DLC, etc...
BADNED revealed some interesting stuff about DLC packs already :
BADNED said:
The content of a pack is not fixed until 3 weeks prior release. It can always happen that a new sponsor jumps in, which changes the overall theme of a pack or they loose a license or acquire a new one and so on. That freedom is needed so they can react and exchange specific cars if they have to or think they fit better after further testing the packs, etc...!
In that pool of DLC cars are always a specific number of reserved cars[model completely finished, all licenses acquired,...] that have been chosen to be in one of the next packs or to replace a car in a soon to be released pack if a problem appears.

op_ivy

Fuck me.

There are so many cars in this game not properly classified as Hatchbacks. This is annoying.

why do we have to rely on what the game considers a hatch? cant we just stick to true hatch backs, production models, awd?

EDIT: just saw you edited the post on this page. thanks

SarBear

why do we have to rely on what the game considers a hatch? cant we just stick to true hatch backs, production models, awd?

EDIT: just saw you edited the post on this page. thanks

I think that's what we'll have to do, because there are SO many cars not properly titled. Just use your best judgement.

Mascot

The Making of Forza Motorsport 4: Car Sourcing

Man, there's a lot of work there just to get 1 car into the game let alone 500+!

Seriously, Nick Wiswell is a master at his work. Positioning mics at focal areas of a car is genius.
I'd love to know what other magic he has planned for FM5....

Thanks Saladine - great video. Good to see Turn 10 still pumping out these 'behind the scenes' pieces.
I've always regretted missing the Bizarre Creations Christmas party I was invited to a few years ago - it would have been great to meet people like Nick and quiz them about the game-making process.

I probably would have just ended up whoring the fuck out of the free bar and falling asleep in a puddle of my own piss anyway.

Ferrari FF is a hatchback, right? ;)

The Z3M sounds amazing, but I think I found my weapon of choice somewhere else, will post a pic once I've painted it.

Top Bottom