• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My Ford Pinto Rallycross car, the General MacArthur:

american_rallycross.jpg

Does it explode if someone taps the rear end?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
managed a clean 8:34. i know i can squeeze time out of the downhill, but i'm really trying to not get the dirty lap indicator. i think i'd be happy with it if i knew seanspeed didnt get a 8:22 on an early attempt. wtf

SarBear

managed a clean 8:34. i know i can squeeze time out of the downhill, but i'm really trying to not get the dirty lap indicator. i think i'd be happy with it if i knew seanspeed didnt get a 8:22 on an early attempt. wtf

Protip : use a different car with a ton of handling.fuck the speed. Tune for high acceleration as little speed as possible. A smidge of oversteer helps me too.

Protip : use a different car with a ton of handling.fuck the speed. Tune for high acceleration as little speed as possible. A smidge of oversteer helps me too.

This! Kaido is all about handling and acceleration. Top speed doesn't matter at all and I usually bring the gear ratios down. I haven't had a chance to mess with any cars for this weekend yet, but I will try tomorrow. Still not sure if I will be able to make it on Sunday.

I should be good to go for Sunday.

I built out a handful of cars last night, but haven't properly tested or setup up any of them yet. I might take one that's off the beaten path rather than whichever is fastest. We'll see.

Also I say we abandon the F355 time attacks, and continue to post our race 1 test times. Hopefully I'll have a car and a lap time later on today.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Making of Forza Motorsport 4: Car Sourcing

Man, there's a lot of work there just to get 1 car into the game let alone 500+!

Seriously, Nick Wiswell is a master at his work. Positioning mics at focal areas of a car is genius.
I'd love to know what other magic he has planned for FM5....
Cool video.

Also interesting tidbit from BADNED about DLC. Gives you a rough idea in your head about how the process all works and I like that.

I picked my car based on looks. :) Haven't even tried any others. I'm pretty happy with it, though. Down to an 8:16.3, but still making too many mistakes.

"On paper" the Golf R is the quickest of the ones I built. I have a soft spot for the old M Coupe, so that's the way I'm leaning right now. It certainly won't be the fastest car on the grid though.

The Saab Turbo 99 is a hatchback, right? It surely isn't a sports car as listed.

Sure, but can it be converted to 4wd? I don't know.

guest1321

There is a very real possibility that I can race on Sunday. Throw me on reserves for now as I haven't started tuning the car up yet and I still have a lot of work to do...

SarBear

I dread the day.

Its been very nice of you to hold off for so long, though!

Son of a bitch.

I was/am scared! Do you know how long it took me to switch to manual transmission??!!??! If retrobrand was around he would tell you that I was a really big pussy about it for almost two months.

I'm attempting to leave my comfort zone. I can only imagine what kind of times I'm going to do without unnecessary wheelspin and lagless gear shifting.

guest1321

Son of a bitch.

I was/am scared! Do you know how long it took me to switch to manual transmission??!!??! If retrobrand was around he would tell you that I was a really big pussy about it for almost two months.

I'm attempting to leave my comfort zone. I can only imagine what kind of times I'm going to do without unnecessary wheelspin and lagless gear shifting.

Wait, you are switching to manual with clutch right? You definitely have not been racing with automatic!

op_ivy

first run with the delta, 8:30 (!). it actually has worse handling then the sti, but i screwed around with the tuning to good results, which makes me think i can use the same-ish settings the even better effect with the sti. maybe.

and yeah, been debating switching to clutch myself.

Seanspeed

Banned
Son of a bitch.

Its actually pretty easy. Its not gonna help any wheelspin issues, but your shifts will be quicker and the car will accelerate faster definitely.

I got fully used to it in about two weeks. Some people even quicker. Just make sure to remap the clutch to the 'A' button instead of 'LB' which requires some ridiculous left-hand dexterity when braking, downshifting and trailbraking. You'll gain about half a second, give or take, around a typical 2.5 to 3 mile track.

I only switched to manual transmission for Forza 2. Before that, I was a full-auto, all driver aids on kind-of-driver. But Forza 2 was around the time I discovered online gaming and I realized how much I sucked, so I put a lot of effort into improving.

By the way, where is Retro?

SarBear

Its actually pretty easy. Its not gonna help any wheelspin issues, but your shifts will be quicker and the car will accelerate faster definitely.

I got fully used to it in about two weeks. Some people even quicker. Just make sure to remap the clutch to the 'A' button instead of 'LB' which requires some ridiculous left-hand dexterity when braking, downshifting and trailbraking. You'll gain about half a second, give or take, around a typical 2.5 to 3 mile track.

I only switched to manual transmission for Forza 2. Before that, I was a full-auto, all driver aids on kind-of-driver. But Forza 2 was around the time I discovered online gaming and I realized how much I sucked, so I put a lot of effort into improving.

By the way, where is Retro?

Fucktard online decided to sit at the last straight on Indianapolis in the midst of my best lap EVER (clean mid 1:26:xxx). Fuckin A.

Retro is off to the army. He said he would be back in April. =)

Mascot

Also interesting tidbit from BADNED about DLC. Gives you a rough idea in your head about how the process all works and I like that.

Yeah, this made me wonder whether any tracks are actually modelled before licenses are resolved, or whether finished tracks never make it in the game because deals fall through.

op_ivy

down to 8:27.XXX (!) with the delta. that time was virtually "clean", but i grazed a barrier in the final 1/4 or so of the lap. should be able to get it down a few more seconds too. the delta cant take the corners as fast as my sti, but the turn in (and better acceleration) makes up for it! =)

fun car and challenge, think i'll keep at it long after this sunday's race ends.

where is everyone else not named seanspeed at?

down to 8:27.XXX (!) with the delta. that time was virtually "clean", but i grazed a barrier in the final 1/4 or so of the lap. should be able to get it down a few more seconds too. the delta cant take the corners as fast as my sti, but the turn in (and better acceleration) makes up for it! =)

fun car and challenge, think i'll keep at it long after this sunday's race ends.

where is everyone else not named seanspeed at?

8:30 flat for me.

Like I said before, the downhill leaves me befuddled. I don't like it, so I sort of subconsciously refuse to figure out how to drive it correctly. All that understeer, all that oddball radii - ugh, hate it.

op_ivy

Like I said before, the downhill leaves me befuddled. I don't like it, so I sort of subconsciously refuse to figure out how to drive it correctly. All that understeer, all that oddball radii - ugh, hate it.

me too. uphill, either way, is much more fun

guest1321

Forza 2 really did look pretty damn good. Especially considering its age.

Oh and sorry guys, I won't be making it out tomorrow morning to race. Good to luck to you all though!

Seanspeed

Banned

The understeer is probably a result of going into corners faster than you should. Going downhill, you need to be mindful that you've got some extra speed caused by the gravity, and slowing down is more difficult downhill, whether braking or just letting off the gas. Both have less of an effect.

The AWD doesn't help, of course.

My biggest problem is that I haven't learned the optimum lines. So many times its just corner after corner and I haven't figured out which corners I need to compromise my line on to best get through the whole section as fast as possible. You can get through one corner perfectly, but if there's another corner right afterwards and you're not setup for it, you can lose a ton of time. Its made so much more complicated when there's like five corners in a row. So many choices.

1st - take well
2nd - compromised
3rd - take well
4th - compromised
5th - take well

Or vice versa? Depends on the length of straights between corners(how much you lose or gain on exit) and how long the corners are(how much you lose or gain through the corner itself).

fozzy

Anyone else have have the problem of not been able to rewind, but after a few presses it rewinds you a really long distance?

Happened tonight and this morning.

G Rom

So, some people said that there should be two big news/surprises about Forza at the Spring Showcase next week. What are your guesses ?
It's been confirmed that it won't be a track editor or Porsche.

My guesses wishes would be :
Finally knowing what the hell Forza World is
A big update for Forza 4 fixing and adding tons of stuff

More realistically, one of the news could be season 2 of DLC.

Mascot

So, some people said that there should be two big news/surprises about Forza at the Spring Showcase next week. What are your guesses ?
It's been confirmed that it won't be a track editor or Porsche.

My guesses wishes would be :
Finally knowing what the hell Forza World is
A big update for Forza 4 fixing and adding tons of stuff

More realistically, one of the news could be season 2 of DLC.

TWO surprises you say?
Easy.
SpaHurst and HurstSpa.

(ever the eternal optimist)

SarBear

Bro, I have some bad news.

I might have to take my daughter in to the E.R. today. She's really not feeling well and keeps tugging on her ear quite a bit. Obviously, I would miss the races, but someone else could easily host the room.

I'll let you guys know. Again, I'm really sorry!

Seanspeed

Banned
Bro, I have some bad news.

I might have to take my daughter in to the E.R. today. She's really not feeling well and keeps tugging on her ear quite a bit. Obviously, I would miss the races, but someone else could easily host the room.

I'll let you guys know. Again, I'm really sorry!

No need to apologize. I hope she's ok.

I've been MIA recently, but will be back in it for next week's races. Glad to see participation ticking back up again though!

BTW, anyone heard from Ox lately? Haven't seen him around for a while.

Top Bottom