• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

guest1321

Also, WTF happened here ?

6947155105_91ba8600c8_z.jpg

6947155271_19279b15e3_z.jpg

Little smudge? That'll rub out.

saladine1

A great read for any sound guys out there such as myself.

Track-time-audio with Nick Wiswell

TTA: What are you looking forward to improving on in future versions of Forza?

NW: I have lots of new ideas, but that’s a question for another time…

TTA: How did you go about sourcing audio for the 787b? It’s a very unique car and sound and is incredible in fm4.

NW: Sourcing the audio for this car was a big thing for us, there was no way we could ship this car without access to it on a dyno.
We were very lucky that Mazda USA has a 787B that they use at various promotional events, and when we contacted them they allowed us to record it in Los Angeles.
More information on this recording will be made available in the near future.

TTA: What’s your favorite sounding car? (real world or in game)

NW: The best-sounding car I have ever recorded was the TVR Cerbera Speed 12; I was also lucky enough to be taken out for a few laps of Bruntingthope Proving Ground in the car which is an experience I will never forget. There is a very short recording of this, short because the recorder failed due to the vibration and the G-forces.

To record a car you will need:......an 8 – 10 channel recording device with multiple microphones to capture the engine, intake system and each exhaust pipe sound independently..........

Fuck me, that's some dedication right there....

Shaneus

A great read for any sound guys out there such as myself.

Track-time-audio with Nick Wiswell

Fuck me, that's some dedication right there....
I was under the impression they just recorded the one exhaust and used various calculations, audio filters etc. to emulate the others? Sounds like they really did record all of them.

Is it safe to assume that vid is actually from their recording session or something else? There's no mention of NW or Turn 10 on that vid.

Also, that flame. I was expecting a half-to-one second thing, but it just went for ages!

saladine1

I was under the impression they just recorded the one exhaust and used various calculations, audio filters etc. to emulate the others? Sounds like they really did record all of them.

Is it safe to assume that vid is actually from their recording session or something else? There's no mention of NW or Turn 10 on that vid.

Also, that flame. I was expecting a half-to-one second thing, but it just went for ages!

They definitely recorded each vehicle's exhaust note. It's only when you apply 'stage 1', 'stage 2'...etc exhaust upgrades that they use DSP to simulate a street,sport or racing exhaust sound.
From what i understand, if a car has twin (or more) exhaust pipes, they record BOTH pipes and not just the single pipe. They could've easily saved time and shit by just recording the one exhaust but they didn't which tells me they are anal about their work!

Mascot

What what? The next DLC pack is the last for the Season Pass?

/ClayDavisSheeeeeeeeiiit

I really haven't had value for money from that investment.

Shaneus

They definitely recorded each vehicle's exhaust note. It's only when you apply 'stage 1', 'stage 2'...etc exhaust upgrades that they use DSP to simulate a street,sport or racing exhaust sound.
From what i understand, if a car has twin (or more) exhaust pipes, they record BOTH pipes and not just the single pipe. They could've easily saved time and shit by just recording the one exhaust but they didn't which tells me they are anal about their work!
Oh, I meant "one exhaust" from each car, then applied the filter over the top. The way it was worded in the interview, it sounded like they got the note on every car with every filter. Obviously that wouldn't have been the case, which is why I was surprised!

But yeah, great interview. Good to see someone in the industry openly talk about the exact processes they go through (probably because sound recording is fundamentally easier for most to understand than other stuff like graphics, physics etc.).

G Rom

I just looked at the code giveaway thread on FM.net, sounds like the Alfa has lots of OEM kits available, nice.
Still have a lot more credits to win to get the Ferrari in the career. It's the only car I can't afford from the pack yet (I don't care about the Weismann though so that doesn't count).
Speaking of career, one advice to those who haven't reached level 150 yet : race in series with driver level bonuses in priority as those will be useless once you've reached level 150. ;)

BTW, funny thing, after buying the car for the game yesterday, I saw a black 1M Coupé IRL today. So beautiful !

SarBear

Gonna be a long fucking night. Haven't even touched a car for this weekend's races. And Seanspeed is right....SIX people!?!?

Come on! :( By the way, I got the OK from a certain PR member on unicorns! After I look at the replays I'll contact the winners from last weekend. And the weekend before, if anyone still has them.

trinest

I havn't played this game for a month or so. Hooked it up last night and did some more of the campaign, which I'm almost finished now (got 7 races to do on the 10th year).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I havn't played this game for a month or so. Hooked it up last night and did some more of the campaign, which I'm almost finished now (got 7 races to do on the 10th year).

then you go to your stats page and see 4% complete and 2 or 3 check marks in the event list :p

I am going to really try to make it today, but I have a near migraine going on. Took some stuff for it and I am going to try and lay down and see if it goes away. Hopefully I will see you guys there!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If next month is the end for the season pass, they should at least add more RUF vehicles. Like the CTR, CTR2, CTR3, and the Cayman-based model. The 3400K, I think it's called.

SarBear

Alright, I am feeling better so hopefully I will be okay for the rest of the day. If we are still doing it, then I will probably be there.

I sent you a PM, bro. =)

I think I'm just going to pass. For various reasons, unfortunately. However, if anyone is on later and just wants to party up and do some lobby racing, I'll be around.

Can someone post in the thread if/when the race is being gathered? I'm going to try and play some L4D with some friends on Steam beforehand (or during if the race is scrapped).

Here's my Miura:

I say we keep these same races and just re-try next weekend. I am actually really excited about the C class 60s race.

When are people up for the Enduro GAF-AM race? I will try to post an "official" update about it with a roster soon.

Snubbers

I'd probably still buy a Porsche expansion, although in reality unless they added a track (or two!), then for me it's just a 30 car DLC Pack.. I'm not fussed about gamerscore or a few more 'events', I've got 95% of the event list to do after finding World Tour didn't really contribute to any!

I am reading this thread on my phone as I carpool to work, and a truck just drove by that had 'Spa' on the side. I did a double take.

:(

Am looking forward to Porsche, though. Cayman R and 917 and 930T. Also give me something to race my Z06.R GT3 against. Oh wait...

MOM, GET THE JERGENS!!!!!!

SarBear's Mom said:
Honey, for this news we splurged* and got you some Vaseline.

*No pun intended. Really.

Yeah, they really need to add the C6.R GT3 as DLC to make the ALMS grid complete.

ALMS is the C6.R GT2. That'd be cool too, but I'm far more excited by the GT3 series, which are a variety of national and continental race series using these cars, gentleman drivers and a pair of hour long races at each event. European GT3, ADAC Masters, Brazilian GT3, etc. The cars are more or less equal, as they're balanced pre-season and inter-event.

In FM4 we have the following GT3 cars: Audi R8, BMW Z4 and a Gallardo. Presumably there will be a Porsche GT3 Cup car in this rumoured pack.

G Rom

Curious to see the Porsche selection because FM3 already had 30+ Porsche. I guess if they removed the duplicates they could have made enough room for newer models and maybe the 917K (please !).

Can't wait to have more details, screenshots and videos.

Top Bottom