• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yeah new tracks = instant buy, no new tracks I'll probably pass.

i love forza, but i definitely need a good track or two to return to the game (in the near future). i have to admit, after putting my wheel away and taking a break, i'm actually more interested in diving into shift 2 again than FM4 simply for the far superior track offerings.

amar212

His current time is 1:32:117 clean.

Not fair! :)

I just beaten his previous 1.23.333 time and now discovered this. Luckily, I found his ghost and just getting ready to confront him. Should be no real problem, but persistent acceleration is the key to win (CSR Elite here, no assists, sequential gearshift).

Which leads me to another thing: what does ForzaGAF think about some theoretical separation of Normal and Simulation handling-leaderboards throughout the game?

Since the last title update, when true Simulation handling was introduced (100% accurate tyre threshold, real tire grip, fully released lateral movement of the suspension/chassis, etc..) the difference between Normal and Simulation model is really pronounced.

Because of that, comparison of achieved times/results have become pretty difficult, since difference in handling model results with very different times.

What do you think? What handling mode do you use? Would you prefer separation handling-dependable, or at least comprehensive filtering?

It'd be nice to see which players use sim steering but I'm not that bothered about it really.

I use a CSR-E (sim steering, no assists), CSPs and the Fanatec H-shifter, it's slow but satisfying.

i love forza, but i definitely need a good track or two to return to the game (in the near future). i have to admit, after putting my wheel away and taking a break, i'm actually more interested in diving into shift 2 again than FM4 simply for the far superior track offerings.
I've been doing the same myself. I go to Forza for rivals, car selection and some career bits here and there, but go to Shift 2 for the sheer track variety, night races and white-knuckle driving excitement. I also have to get my weekly Dirt 3 fix too, for snow, mud, gravel and general mayhem.

I still prefer Forza 4 physics though, especially having a unified model for standard racing and drifting alike. That and its far easier to take a turn at speed without sliding.

What do you think? What handling mode do you use? Would you prefer separation handling-dependable, or at least comprehensive filtering?
I drive with sim myself with no assists besides ABS (on gamepad). And anything that further filters the leaderboards and thus puts me up at a higher ranking overall sounds good to me. Its a little deflating to bust my ass on a track time only to find out I'm in the top 75K ;P Filter them lists!

zorbsie

I heard that even with the title update, you won't get credit rewards beyond Level 150. Which sucks, because what is the point of going past 150 if you don't get any reward?

You have totally bummed me out. I really think that would totally be a stupid move on Turn10's part. I always thought stopping the reward cars at level 50 was a bad idea too. They could have easily offered the same cars as the first 50 levels, removing the cars you already selected. Really hope there is at least a money bonus for levels past 150.

Gor@n

Neo Member
I beat Montoya's lap time when it was a dirty lap, do i still get the reward now that he has bettered his time or do i have to beat it again?

ALso any more info on what Porsche's are in besides the boxter and the Sport classic?

G Rom

Not fair! :)I just beaten his previous 1.23.333 time and now discovered this. Luckily, I found his ghost and just getting ready to confront him. Should be no real problem, but persistent acceleration is the key to win (CSR Elite here, no assists, sequential gearshift).Which leads me to another thing: what does ForzaGAF think about some theoretical separation of Normal and Simulation handling-leaderboards throughout the game?Since the last title update, when true Simulation handling was introduced (100% accurate tyre threshold, real tire grip, fully released lateral movement of the suspension/chassis, etc..) the difference between Normal and Simulation model is really pronounced.Because of that, comparison of achieved times/results have become pretty difficult, since difference in handling model results with very different times.What do you think? What handling mode do you use? Would you prefer separation handling-dependable, or at least comprehensive filtering?

I think it should be sim-steering with racing wheel Vs normal steering with racing wheel combined with sim/normal steering with controller.
Controller players like myself still have a great advantage compared to racing wheel players when using sim-steering because there are clearly still steering assists when using a controller even when supposedly using no assists.
I'd be interested in having a less assisted mode for the controller. Many times the car reacts very weirdly due to (I think) the steering assist trying to correct something when it shouldn't. I also hate the delay that you see in steering when using a controller. GT5 had the same problem up until PD introduced the steering setting (can't remember the name) that allows faster, more realistic (and more in line with the use of a steering wheel) steering wheel movement.

20 new skyboxes!

Did Montoya use any assists to get that time?

He didn't use clutch...Just manual.

I also used abs, which he did not (presumably because he used a wheel and pedals).

My lap was messy, and you have a couple of opportunities to catch up in a few sections if you hold a clean line and feather the throttle. Shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

There are some serious times (like 1:29.xxx) being put down by GAF guys, which is mighty impressive. I only JUST beat him.

I beat Montoya's lap time when it was a dirty lap, do i still get the reward now that he has bettered his time or do i have to beat it again?

ALso any more info on what Porsche's are in besides the boxter and the Sport classic?

I'd like to know this also.
Do you lock in the fact you beat him or do you have to stay ahead of him?

Also, when does this expire?

BADNED

I'd like to know this also.
Do you lock in the fact you beat him or do you have to stay ahead of him?

Also, when does this expire?
Like everyone else he can improve his time until the event is over. So if you want the unicorn you have to beat his best time and if he improves you have to beat him again and be better then him until the end.

Event ends at the end of the month.

Like everyone else he can improve his time until the event is over. So if you want the unicorn you have to beat his best time and if he improves you have to beat him again and be better then him until the end.

Thanks very much. Seems fairly obvious, just wanted some clarification.

SarBear

Unless he really sits down and spends about an hour with the race, I don't see him improving his time at ALL.

This challenge requires some patience, and commitment to just slowing your ass down and letting the 'Vette do its thing. Based on his lap I just don't see that happening.

Seanspeed

Banned
Unless he really sits down and spends about an hour with the race, I don't see him improving his time at ALL.

This challenge requires some patience, and commitment to just slowing your ass down and letting the 'Vette do its thing. Based on his lap I just don't see that happening.
Montoya is possibly one of the most competitive people on the planet. Dont go assuming he'll just lie back and think his job is done. This is a guy who jumped into F1 in his very first year and decided that the best driver in the world at the time(M. Schumacher) needed some roughing up on the track. ;)

However, he might get some pressure by Turn 10 to relax a bit. People over on FM.net are already complaining that its too hard.

amar212

It is not *that* hard if +5000 players can beat it.

Personally, I loved the challenge.

I hope Rivals like this will not suffer the same destiny as initial Seasonal Events in GT5 did. Vocal individuals were so loud in their bashing the challenges (if they spent equal amount of time for driving instead agruing on GTP they would probably pass the challenge) that restrictions and challenges were removed to cater the casuals.

Wrong way to do it IMO. All who participate will get Zagato. Whoever beats Montoya will get a special car. It is Montoya for Gods sake, challenge comes with the name and acomplishments.

Wrong way to do it IMO. All who participate will get Zagato. Whoever beats Montoya will get a special car. It is Montoya for Gods sake, challenge comes with the name and acomplishments.
Sounds good to me. The best of the best get the bestest rewards, but even more casual players like me can still get something for honest attempts.

I'm glad to see a KOTT event that is a decent challenge, but I suppose it's to be expected from JPM.

My best time so far is a ~1:31.3, nothing spectacular but good enough for that LP640 at the moment. I'm actually enjoying the Indy GP track much more than I have with other cars; the ZR1 seems suited to the flowing corners once it digs in and you can put the hammer down.

I can keep up with SarBear/Dead Poul's ghost through the first 4 or 5 corners, but I start to fall behind around turn 7 that leads onto the second straight, and then lose more time through the quick sequence up to turn 11.

Do any of our resident hot shoes have some tips? SarBear and Seanspeed, I'm looking at you.

SarBear

I'm glad to see a KOTT event that is a decent challenge, but I suppose it's to be expected from JPM.

My best time so far is a ~1:31.3, nothing spectacular but good enough for that LP640 at the moment. I'm actually enjoying the Indy GP track much more than I have with other cars; the ZR1 seems suited to the flowing corners once it digs in and you can put the hammer down.

I can keep up with SarBear/Dead Poul's ghost through the first 4 or 5 corners, but I start to fall behind around turn 7 that leads onto the second straight, and then lose more time through the quick sequence up to turn 11.

Do any of our resident hot shoes have some tips? SarBear and Seanspeed, I'm looking at you.

Coincidentally, that's where I considered most of my screwups. I know I can cut almost .500 off my time, but I just don't want to. No incentive.

As for the tips:

SLOW DOWN!!!!

....all right, there's more than that. Seanspeed can properly answer the question as I kinda suck explaining my racing habits (by the way, Mr. Seanspeed, I was watching some of your laps across the boards......you brake completely different from me. So I tried braking first, and then downshifting when my braking was almost complete.....my God, the end result is amazing. To clarify, I've always downshifted while braking...I didn't realize how much time I was losing.). One thing you really want to consider is keeping this Corvette stable. That means; little to no wheelspin, maintaining humble throttle control so you don't end up sideways, and just a general respect for how much power this car has. You really have to take it easy with this car and ease into acceleration, lay off the gas around sharp corners, and plan your route.....'cause there's NO correcting mistakes with this puppy. Seriously, just SLOW down and you'll notice a dramatic change. I was going balls out until I realized I needed to respect the ZR1. I couldn't get below a 1:32.....and after I humbled myself, I dropped my time by three seconds.

Same shit for the Weissman. That....and never letting the car go below third gear. That 2:06 was really easy to pump out.

Edit:

Forgot to mention. I use the controller with manual, no clutch. None of the TCS, ABS, or any other assists.

Coincidentally, that's where I considered most of my screwups. I know I can cut almost .500 off my time, but I just don't want to. No incentive.

As for the tips:

SLOW DOWN!!!!

....all right, there's more than that. Seanspeed can properly answer the question as I kinda suck explaining my racing habits (by the way, Mr. Seanspeed, I was watching some of your laps across the boards......you brake completely different from me. So I tried braking first, and then downshifting when my braking was almost complete.....my God, the end result is amazing. To clarify, I've always downshifted while braking...I didn't realize how much time I was losing.). One thing you really want to consider is keeping this Corvette stable. That means; little to no wheelspin, maintaining humble throttle control so you don't end up sideways, and just a general respect for how much power this car has. You really have to take it easy with this car and ease into acceleration, lay off the gas around sharp corners, and plan your route.....'cause there's NO correcting mistakes with this puppy. Seriously, just SLOW down and you'll notice a dramatic change. I was going balls out until I realized I needed to respect the ZR1. I couldn't get below a 1:32.....and after I humbled myself, I dropped my time by three seconds.

Same shit for the Weissman. That....and never letting the car go below third gear. That 2:06 was really easy to pump out.

I agree with you there.

Although I didn't exactly set a blistering time, I used the clutch (mapped to 'A') and half throttled in and out of most corners and even though it seemed slower, I was actually ahead of JPM in most sectors.

It should be piss easy for any of you guys to get ahead of him as his time stands now - I would consider myself a very casual gamer, so I haven't had a lot of time to spend on that track, in that car, learning the tricks.

I expect to have to improve that time, but considering the small jump he took from his dirty lap time to the current one, I don't expect to have to push too hard.

And I drove like crap, so I know I can better my time if I need to.

Seanspeed

Banned

As for the tips:

SLOW DOWN!!!!

Yea, you've got to be patient with this car. I dont like it, to be honest. I feel like I'm just sluggishly getting my way around the track at 1/3 throttle for most of the lap, which isn't fun for me. I'm much happier being able to thrash around with wild abandon.

Key points for me:

- Find the ideal braking point for the 1st turn. Mess this one up and the rest of the lap is blown. Focus on cutting the grass slightly and getting a good exit out of the left-hand part.

- The next corner is a right-hand corner that runs out wide and you probably wont use all the width. The usual motto 'slow-in, fast-out' applies again for the right hander that follows. Its easy to get the braking wrong here and turn-in too early or too late, but its an important part to get right. With some good throttle control, you'll be nearly flat-out through the right-hand kink that leads to the left-hand hairpin, but beware of the bump that can easily catch out your car.

- Coming on to the back straight, use as much width as you can on exit without getting all four tires over the line.

- When you're entering the oval section, keep tight to the cones leading onto the banking. You'll probably need to lift slightly to keep from hitting the wall, so dont get too brave here. You dont want to ruin a good lap at this point. The last corner will require you to let-off slightly, but never completely. Run at something like 80% throttle and then nail it when you're comfortable that you're not gonna run wide into the wall on the main straight.

@SarBear, I'm not sure what you've been doing before when braking, but you dont want to downshift immediately upon braking. In a real car, it would cause an over-rev that could damage the engine. You also lose any engine braking(from the compression) that occurs to help slow the car down. It doesn't make a huge difference in the game I've found, but downshifting at the proper time does help a bit and is a good habit to learn for driving even in real-life.

I am not sure if any of you have ever seen C'était un Rendez-vous before. It is a classic video of a guy blasting through Paris to the tune of a V12 Ferrari engine. I wanted to try and do a video with that same spirit in Forza 4. However, there just isn't really a great course for it without Amalfi Long.

I am also uploading a few other videos and they will be on my YouTube Channel.

Okay, so I was able to redo it and the quality seems better now. So check it out and let me know what you think.

Cétait un rendez-vous avec Forza 4

I am also starting a feature called "50 Days of (Green) Hell. I am going to take a car a day around Nurburgring. One lap only, no assists, no HUD, cockpit view and such with stock cars. I am doing it to try and learn The Ring better and also to get a feel for some cars I normally wouldn't drive.

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 1 - Ferrari 312P

Edit: And now for some reason YouTube is putting black bars around my videos. What is going on?

Thanks for the detailed replies, SarBear and Seanspeed. Watching replays and telemetry is helpful, but not as much as hearing the thought process that goes into tackling a track. You guys rock.

SarBear

@SarBear, I'm not sure what you've been doing before when braking, but you dont want to downshift immediately upon braking. In a real car, it would cause an over-rev that could damage the engine. You also lose any engine braking(from the compression) that occurs to help slow the car down. It doesn't make a huge difference in the game I've found, but downshifting at the proper time does help a bit and is a good habit to learn for driving even in real-life.

Perhaps this was why I was destroying the transmission whenever I tried to run manual with clutch. The transition to this appropriate braking style is a learning curve seeing as how I've played this way since Forza 3....but in just one day I've cut all my lap times down considerably. I get smooth braking now, no high revs messing with my timing for acceleration on the way out, and I can brake SO much later.

SarBear

Okay, so I was able to redo it and the quality seems better now. So check it out and let me know what you think.

Cétait un rendez-vous avec Forza 4

I am also starting a feature called "50 Days of (Green) Hell. I am going to take a car a day around Nurburgring. One lap only, no assists, no HUD, cockpit view and such with stock cars. I am doing it to try and learn The Ring better and also to get a feel for some cars I normally wouldn't drive.

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 1 - Ferrari 312P

Edit: And now for some reason YouTube is putting black bars around my videos. What is going on?

I thought you were going to fly off the track and die at any moment while watching your Nordshliefe replay.

....just sayin'.

Just thought of something I wish forza implemented:

I reckon the ability to switch between purchased/created designs on cars in the garage, like you would paint colours while purchasing a car, would be a great idea.

I bet they could add this in a patch or something and it would be cool to be able to see what designs you have for each car, especially if more than one.

Just a thought.

Since there will be quite a few R8 LMS racing in new Super GT season I thought I'll make one as well. Nothing crazy, rather simple paint with not too many sponsors, wanted to keep it clean but maybe someone will enjoy it.

Cheers, HD

6835213998_dcc18d3e69_z.jpg

6835214000_cda1aecb3b_z.jpg

6835214002_4f3c3beab5_z.jpg

6835214006_d2aae989d5_z.jpg

Grassy

Not fair! :)

I just beaten his previous 1.23.333 time and now discovered this. Luckily, I found his ghost and just getting ready to confront him. Should be no real problem, but persistent acceleration is the key to win (CSR Elite here, no assists, sequential gearshift).

Which leads me to another thing: what does ForzaGAF think about some theoretical separation of Normal and Simulation handling-leaderboards throughout the game?

Since the last title update, when true Simulation handling was introduced (100% accurate tyre threshold, real tire grip, fully released lateral movement of the suspension/chassis, etc..) the difference between Normal and Simulation model is really pronounced.

Because of that, comparison of achieved times/results have become pretty difficult, since difference in handling model results with very different times.

I think in a perfect world the leaderboards should be separated into these four extra categories; 360 Controller, Wheel + Pedals, Using Assists, No Assists. IMO, it's just a bit too vague with the way it is currently.

Montoya is possibly one of the most competitive people on the planet. Dont go assuming he'll just lie back and think his job is done. This is a guy who jumped into F1 in his very first year and decided that the best driver in the world at the time(M. Schumacher) needed some roughing up on the track. ;)

However, he might get some pressure by Turn 10 to relax a bit. People over on FM.net are already complaining that its too hard.

The day Turn 10 pressure one of these guys to take it easy is the day I throw my copy of Forza 4 in the bin, if you're not fast enough then you're not fast enough. Simple as that. I think we all know that the FM.net forums are full of fuckwits anyway.

Just ran a few laps and put in a 1:31.609. I'm ahead of Juan for most of the lap, but I struggle for finesse through the final tight corner and sometimes through the sweeping bowl right at the end onto the straight where he'd catch me.

Enough for now, but I guess I'm going to have to come back and try again if he betters it!

Just ran a few laps and put in a 1:31.609. I'm ahead of Juan for most of the lap, but I struggle for finesse through the final tight corner and sometimes through the sweeping bowl right at the end onto the straight where he'd catch me.

Enough for now, but I guess I'm going to have to come back and try again if he betters it!

What's the latest time like?

Mascot

Since there will be quite a few R8 LMS racing in new Super GT season I thought I'll make one as well. Nothing crazy, rather simple paint with not too many sponsors, wanted to keep it clean but maybe someone will enjoy it.

Cheers, HD

[I MG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6835213998_dcc18d3e69_z.jpg[/IMG]

[IM G]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6835214000_cda1aecb3b_z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6835214002_4f3c3beab5_z.jpg[/IMG]

[I MG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/6835214006_d2aae989d5_z.jpg[/IMG]

Fantastic work, as always.
There's a career as a graphic designer waiting for you somewhere, H3rtz.

So is there any way to search for a userID on the leaderboards?

For that other Rivals challenge you've gotta find another player to beat.. Surely there's a better way than scrolling all the way through the list for half an hour?!

Also, do we know if setting additional times have to be done against JuanPablo each time, or can we just set times against anyone now he's been beaten and the updated time counts?

Sweet. Just wasn't sure if it had changed by how I read your statement. Thanks.

Yeah, sorry, reading it back I know what you mean haha..

So is there any way to search for a userID on the leaderboards?

For that other Rivals challenge you've gotta find another player to beat.. Surely there's a better way than scrolling all the way through the list for half an hour?!

Find them on the storefront and add them as a favourite; you can then swap leader boards with 'x' until you get to just your favourites.

ElNino

Find them on the storefront and add them as a favourite; you can then swap leader boards with 'x' until you get to just your favourites.
Unfortunately, this only works if the person has posted something on their storefront. There really should be an option to search in the rivals mode.

Been getting back into the swing of things and trying to get better for this challenge. Sucks I really wasn't able to play as much as I wanted the couple months after launch. But now the living room is rearranged and going to stay that way for a while (plus storage closet is cleaned out so I don't have to move a bunch of shit to get to my wheel setup) I'm hopefully going to practice up for a few weeks then start rivaling again. Especially these monthly challenges!

Marco1

Cheers, HD

6835213998_dcc18d3e69_z.jpg
All the F5 next-gen reveal has to be is to start off with this picture at 1080p and then show the car driving off down that road while the sun starts to set and the rain comes on in-game real-time.

SarBear

Are we doing a race this weekend? Or do we just want to see who shows up and make it up as we go?

Probably just making it up as we go. The events I was planning was usually dependent on more than a few people showing up. :/

I really like some of the ideas that Crude has been sharing with me. I believe he may have more inspiration for races more than i do.

Probably just making it up as we go. The events I was planning was usually dependent on more than a few people showing up. :/

I really like some of the ideas that Crude has been sharing with me. I believe he may have more inspiration for races more than i do.

If we get a decent turnout, we could do the GAF-Am Enduro race. Might work well for our races.

Edit: Trying not to spam, but does anyone have any interesting or fun ideas for cars I can use for my 50 Days of (Green) Hell? I am looking for a good mix of cars and classes to keep it interesting.

SarBear

If we get a decent turnout, we could do the GAF-Am Enduro race. Might work well for our races.

Edit: Trying not to spam, but does anyone have any interesting or fun ideas for cars I can use for my 50 Days of (Green) Hell? I am looking for a good mix of cars and classes to keep it interesting.

1) I wouldn't mind any racing ideas, I'm just glad to race. Endurace, trucks, hybrids...doesn't matter.

2)
  • RUF RT12R
  • 2010 Camaro
  • Aston DB5
  • Ferrari 550 Maranello
  • C 63
  • Mitsubishi GTO
  • Toyota Supra (GT500 class)
  • C6 Z06
  • Omni

Just a few.

Top Bottom