• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Damn there's some good money to be had in those Rivals events after you get up the list a bit.

If the time is reasonable, I might try and jump in with GAF crew if you do some racing this weekend.

EDIT:

Couple of my fav images from the week.

XqLYX.jpg

EEZbp.jpg

G Rom

Juan Pablo Montoya - King of the Track video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAgdg2o5qk

I was wondering since this month's KOTT was announced, is JPM's car sponsored by Xbox or FM ?
I'm asking this because it's pretty incredible to have JPM as a KOTT nearly six month after release. I mean, JPM is known worldwide by motorsport fans and actually has a pretty good racing pedegree (unlike Rampage "my ugly car took one DLC slot" whatever). Either way, I'm glad to see that MS marketing is allowing Turn 10 to still release videos like the 787B sound recording (clearly aimed at the most hardcore fans) or bring well known drivers like JPM as KOTT so late after release.

BTW, Short, I don't know how you can take 50 laps of FM4's FM3's FM2's FM's Nordscheife, it's just terrible.
Seriously, on my track wishlist, a full Nürburgring (Nordschleife, GP layouts and 24h layout) on the level of GT5's one is ranked far ahead of anything else (Spahurst being #2).

SarBear

Damn there's some good money to be had in those Rivals events after you get up the list a bit.

If the time is reasonable, I might try and jump in with GAF crew if you do some racing this weekend.

Yea, I'm still squeezing the Nordschliefe VIP event for all I can. I ran a hot lap and was right on target for a 7:19, but of course....my rival was only doing 7:29, so I just fooled around until I barely beat him. I've made nearly 3 million off this event so far.

If you'd like to join up this weekend, we normally race around 2:30pm EST. Don't feel shy, mate, we are very lighthearted. =) Plus, the more the merrier.

*Note, for those who managed to destroy the Gecko challenge rival time, you should have a NSX R-GT in your inbox. I've got three of these bitches now. Seriously, I want to be able to auction this off!!

Yea, I'm still squeezing the Nordschliefe VIP event for all I can. I ran a hot lap and was right on target for a 7:19, but of course....my rival was only doing 7:29, so I just fooled around until I barely beat him. I've made nearly 3 million off this event so far.

If you'd like to join up this weekend, we normally race around 2:30pm EST. Don't feel shy, mate, we are very lighthearted. =) Plus, the more the merrier.

Sounds like I'll have to give that one a go as well.
Going to put a time in for that other Rival challenge that's running at the moment (with the prize 599XX), but once I've run that, I'll get into the Nordschleife. I want to have plenty of cash laying around for May when the Porsche pack drops.

2:30pm EST, that's GMT -5 yeah? Works out like 5:30am for me haha.. I'm definitely keen, but can't promise I'll be up that early on the weekend!

Got the next episode of 50 Days of (Green) Hell up on YouTube. This time I am taking the E 63 AMG around the Ring.

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 2 - Mercedes E63

(It is still processing, so give it a bit)

This car is such a pig that it honestly surprised me. Turn in was non-existent and the understeer was atrocious. Mix that with too much torque and too thin tires and it would lay down a patch at almost any gear going out of a corner. I have never been a big fan of the AMG cars and this just reaffirmed that.

Shaneus

Got the next episode of 50 Days of (Green) Hell up on YouTube. This time I am taking the E 63 AMG around the Ring.

This car is such a pig that it honestly surprised me. Turn in was non-existent and the understeer was atrocious. Mix that with too much torque and too thin tires and it would lay down a patch at almost any gear going out of a corner. I have never been a big fan of the AMG cars and this just reaffirmed that.
That's an AWESOME idea. I wish I had the discipline to stick with something like that!

SarBear

That was just great. I wish I had thought of that idea sooner, Shortt. I know I'm going to watch each one.

I appreciate the feedback guys! I know I am not the greatest driver, but I am also hoping these videos will show me getting a little bit better each time I do it. That is why I am using no rewinds or assists, I want my errors to be shown so I know where to fix for my next lap.

10 laps with wheel and pedals - 1:34x

2 Laps with controller - 1:32x

I should have spent that £1000 on cocaine and a jacuzzi full of thai hookers.

Well yeah, duh! Always bet on black. Always opt for coke & poke.

I don't have a problem with one device being faster than another. That seems inevitable. I just wish there were leaderboard filters for them all.

Seanspeed

Banned
this x 1 million. i have no idea how someone like seanspeed can put so much time in with a pad :/

I've used wheels in the past(and still use a Logitech for playing rFactor, which I dont do much anymore), but I'm a comfy couch gamer and I'm comfortable with a controller. If I wanted(and had the money) to go for the all-out, immersive racing experience with a G27 or Fanatec and nice pedals and stand, I'd probably pick up a subscription to iRacing. But I dont really need that. I enjoy the more casual style of Forza and I like all the other stuff in the game, like taking photos, car collecting, searching through 1,000's of liveries for a 350Z paintjob I really like, etc. I'm jealous of you guys with these nice wheel setups, but I'm still content with the controller. It helps that the 360 controller is so good, too. 10x better triggers than on a PS controller.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've used wheels in the past(and still use a Logitech for playing rFactor, which I dont do much anymore), but I'm a comfy couch gamer and I'm comfortable with a controller. If I wanted(and had the money) to go for the all-out, immersive racing experience with a G27 or Fanatec and nice pedals and stand, I'd probably pick up a subscription to iRacing. But I dont really need that. I enjoy the more casual style of Forza and I like all the other stuff in the game, like taking photos, car collecting, searching through 1,000's of liveries for a 350Z paintjob I really like, etc. I'm jealous of you guys with these nice wheel setups, but I'm still content with the controller. It helps that the 360 controller is so good, too. 10x better triggers than on a PS controller.

oh, i get it. forza does feel good with a pad and there is much more to the game then racing, but before i got a wheel i'd tire rather quickly of the actual racing part. i find it just so much more enjoyable and thrilling with a wheel, a shitty MS wheel at that. hope to upgrade to a decent 900 degree wheel soonish.

btw, really missing forza, but its just tough to pull the wheel out to play, and my daughter is now at the age where she is into everything, so i can no longer leave it out for long periods of time.

gragy10

Back from holiday and finally finished up season mode last night.
Gonna start the event list from scratch next week with a manual gearbox and try and get my head round it. Always used auto gears in games so expecting an uphill struggle..
Count me in for Sundays race(s) btw, official or not

SarBear

Back from holiday and finally finished up season mode last night.
Gonna start the event list from scratch next week with a manual gearbox and try and get my head round it. Always used auto gears in games so expecting an uphill struggle..

If you're only using manual, no clutch, you're going to be shocked at how incredibly easy it is to make the transition.

-__-

Just in case, everyone should build a car that meets these specs, and paint it. If you've done the spec races, use that number.

GAF-AM said:
One of the 1969-1971 models of:
  • AMC Javalin
  • Chevy Camaro Z28
  • Ford Mustang
  • Plymouth 'Cuda
  • Mercury Cougar
  • Dodge Challenger
  • Pontiac Trans-Am

Make it A600 and:
  • No more than 550HP.
  • No more than 3300 lbs.
  • No less than 2500 lbs.
  • Naturally aspirated.
  • RWD
  • Roll cage mandatory.
  • No racing gearbox. Sport is strongly suggested though.
  • Race weight reduction.
  • Race suspension.
  • Race tires.

Suggest tuning for Leguna Seca (but leave some room in fourth gear), since we're probably going to pick something else. Anyone that wants me to send them a tune for any of the above, let me know.

SarBear

Just in case, everyone should build a car that meets these specs, and paint it. If you've done the spec races, use that number.

Suggest tuning for Leguna Seca (but leave some room in fourth gear), since we're probably going to pick something else. Anyone that wants me to send them a tune for any of the above, let me know.

I know you've sent me the Camaro tune, but would you mind sending me the Trans Am as well?

Seanspeed

Banned
Can I skip the 'require your race number on the car' bit? I cant paint worth crap and would enjoy having something nice looking if I'm going to be using it for more than a single race. Sorry if that doesn't sound fun, but its not like we have organized races like we were when we started.

SarBear had a really good idea about adding something to my 50 Days of (Green) Hell. How would you all like to be "Guest Drivers" for some of it? Get each of you that want to join to pick a couple of stock cars and run them around the Ring with my rules. Then send me the replay and I will capture it and throw it up on my Channel with info about who did the run.

Does that sound interesting to any of you? Let me know what cars you want to use so I don't use the same cars as I already have certain cars planned.

SarBear

SarBear had a really good idea about adding something to my 50 Days of (Green) Hell. How would you all like to be "Guest Drivers" for some of it? Get each of you that want to join to pick a couple of stock cars and run them around the Ring with my rules. Then send me the replay and I will capture it and throw it up on my Channel with info about who did the run.

Does that sound interesting to any of you? Let me know what cars you want to use so I don't use the same cars as I already have certain cars planned.

*raises hand*

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

that might get me to play again. cars? dont care much so long as they are fast and not american muscle (modern or classic)

Montoya lap videos:

JPM lap

Telemetry

Those are great uploads, Shin. I went looking for his lap on yt a few days ago, and was surprised not to find it.

I'm not at all surprised to see that, other than outright missing an apex by a good deal, he lost time by not cutting any grass. Clean up that apex, cut some green at T1, and the slow bit, and boom he'd be in the 29's.

Seanspeed

Banned

Sure. Sounds fun. I'll give it some thought on what car(s).

Can I skip the 'require your race number on the car' bit? I cant paint worth crap and would enjoy having something nice looking if I'm going to be using it for more than a single race. Sorry if that doesn't sound fun, but its not like we have organized races like we were when we started.

*sadduckface*

Did you look at the cars that came up in the link? Just put a number in a circle on each door and the hood. I'll even do that for anyone who asks.

Sounds good.

Montoya lap videos

Nice! It's a lot less slidey when he does it...

Has the Yellowbird been confirmed for next month's DLC? Some guy on FM.net is talking like it is definitely hitting next month.

If so, I am going to beat that car around the Ring so hard. Goddam I love that car.

Edit: You know, I really wish Forza had something similar to that awesome long street track in GT5. The one that is modeled after Japanese Freeways and is just long straights with the tunnels? SS7 is what it is called!

G Rom

Has the Yellowbird been confirmed for next month's DLC? Some guy on FM.net is talking like it is definitely hitting next month.

If so, I am going to beat that car around the Ring so hard. Goddam I love that car.

It's marked as part of a TBA DLC on BADNED's list which doesn't mean that we'll necessarly get it next month just that it's coming down the road. We'll see when they announce the DLC for april in two weeks.
BADNED hinted at some kind of theme for April's DLC though, so the CTR might not fit it.

I think this guy is just assuming that since April's DLC is the last DLC of the SP, we'll get all the cars marked as TBA DLC from BADNED's list.

I also wouldnt mind seeing the renault espace f1 added in too, just for kicks lol
But ya, really want the yellowbird, love that turbo chirp
espace-f1-2.jpg

God, I remember running that thing in GT2. Or was it 3? Either way that Van was the greatest thing in the world. We need more F1 powered Mid Engine Vans!

And of course, one of the greatest Ring videos ever, and one of the inspirations for my 50 Days of (Green) Hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg

amar212

10 laps with wheel and pedals - 1:34x
2 Laps with controller - 1:32x
I should have spent that £1000 on cocaine and a jacuzzi full of thai hookers.

Yep, still my greatest problem with getting 100% joy and fun with playing FM4.

I prefer to go on either Cycled Production (new ones are great) or Ferrari Showcase for proper MP fun, but there is just no way you can be competitive and fight for the podium, even when using Standard physics.

Controller just obliterates the wheel, period. I have no problem with that in SP modes or in Rivals - as long as I can win to satisfaction - but once when real competitiveness comes into picture, downside is inevitable.

I don't know. I mean, I am not for the elitist talks and such, but it would really be nice if that particular problem (it is a problem, really) would be fixed somehow. My proposed separate entries regarding physics (Normal and Simulation) are one thing, but once we got into online, wheel users are really seriously disadvantaged.

And it is not fair from many perspectives, since we all invested into expensive devices, branded for that particular game and promoted officially as an competitive device. Which at the end it is not really. I know everything about XID/HID differences and X360's special way of handling FFB, I am very obsessed with wheel performance in games on all platforms and current state of affairs in FM4 just calls for further fixes of the input discrepancies among devices.

Also worth adding is how is not a new thing in FM series. Backthan in times of FM2 I had a partially-serious discussion with my friend-lawyer about raising the theoretical class-suit action against Microsoft :) because there was one particular race in the Career mode (with Shelby Cobra's) that just couldn't be won with all aids off, maximum AI and with the wheel (I was using MS Wheel backthan). Of course I was partially joking, but I was frustrated that I can't use an official device to win something inside the game on the highest setting because actual game-model makes my input-method inferior to controller.

I would really like that upcoming Title Update tackle that problem, especially because every day there are more and more CSR Elite owners (and CSR also) who will be very surprised to find out how their new 600€ toy can't compete with 25€ controller :)

What kind of car were you thinking of using. I'd be happy to throw something together for you, considering I don't get to race (uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ)...
I've been working on this design, which I can modify to suit whatever car, sans some graphics that Hertz sent me.

a8Dpj.jpg

UCloh.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Seanspeed

Banned
*sadduckface*

Did you look at the cars that came up in the link? Just put a number in a circle on each door and the hood. I'll even do that for anyone who asks.
I can put a number on it and everything, but I like to have custom paintjobs on my cars and I certainly cant come up with anything good looking, so I usually go through the Storefront to find something nice. And I dont typically do replicas or other popular liveries. I like something a bit more unique. I mean, if y'all are opposed to it, thats cool, I'll live. :)

Yep, still my greatest problem with getting 100% joy and fun with playing FM4.

I prefer to go on either Cycled Production (new ones are great) or Ferrari Showcase for proper MP fun, but there is just no way you can be competitive and fight for the podium, even when using Standard physics.

Controller just obliterates the wheel, period. I have no problem with that in SP modes or in Rivals - as long as I can win to satisfaction - but once when real competitiveness comes into picture, downside is inevitable.

I don't know. I mean, I am not for the elitist talks and such, but it would really be nice if that particular problem (it is a problem, really) would be fixed somehow. My proposed separate entries regarding physics (Normal and Simulation) are one thing, but once we got into online, wheel users are really seriously disadvantaged.

And it is not fair from many perspectives, since we all invested into expensive devices, branded for that particular game and promoted officially as an competitive device. Which at the end it is not really. I know everything about XID/HID differences and X360's special way of handling FFB, I am very obsessed with wheel performance in games on all platforms and current state of affairs in FM4 just calls for further fixes of the input discrepancies among devices.

Also worth adding is how is not a new thing in FM series. Backthan in times of FM2 I had a partially-serious discussion with my friend-lawyer about raising the theoretical class-suit action against Microsoft :) because there was one particular race in the Career mode (with Shelby Cobra's) that just couldn't be won with all aids off, maximum AI and with the wheel (I was using MS Wheel backthan). Of course I was partially joking, but I was frustrated that I can't use an official device to win something inside the game on the highest setting because actual game-model makes my input-method inferior to controller.

I would really like that upcoming Title Update tackle that problem, especially because every day there are more and more CSR Elite owners (and CSR also) who will be very surprised to find out how their new 600€ toy can't compete with 25€ controller :)
A lot of the top guys use wheels. I was in a room last night with a few people who were talking about their wheels and two of them were definitely faster than I was. I happen to be better with a controller, too, but I'm also just more used to it. I'm not sure you can say there's a 'problem' with the wheel when it might just be your lack of practice/skill. I'm not sure how much you play, but it could just be that other people are just far more experienced than you are with the game and wheel.

Seanspeed

Banned
What kind of car were you thinking of using. I'd be happy to throw something together for you, considering I don't get to race (uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ)...
I've been working on this design, which I can modify to suit whatever car, sans some graphics that Hertz sent me.

a8Dpj.jpg

Let me know what you think.
Looks good. Not the sort of thing I had in mind, but if Crude wants to have more authentic looking cars, it would be definitely be preferable to something I did, which would probably just be a black car with a number on it or something. Haven't thought about what car I want to use yet, though. I'll try and figure that out here tonight.

Looks good. Not the sort of thing I had in mind, but if Crude wants to have more authentic looking cars, it would be definitely be preferable to something I did, which would probably just be a black car with a number on it or something. Haven't thought about what car I want to use yet, though. I'll try and figure that out here tonight.

No probs, mate, just let me know. I can do something totally different on a darker car for you. Free and gifted of course.

amar212

I agree Seanspeed, but to a partial level.

I am not high-tier driver, probably mid-tier more/less, but I also stand by my conclusions. I know people that obliterates me with a blink in some other games by wheel too, so I am very aware about my position :)

However, my conclusion comes from mine, mid-tier perspective, where I have the same experience as Cowboy. Time will tell, which leads me to another question:

Earlier today you mentioned some Lambo for the Weismann Rival. I got some Chevy today and not sure wat should I do for the Lamb. Any info about that?

Seanspeed

Banned
I agree Seanspeed, but to a partial level.

I am not high-tier driver, probably mid-tier more/less, but I also stand by my conclusions. I know people that obliterates me with a blink in some other games by wheel too, so I am very aware about my position :)

However, my conclusion comes from mine, mid-tier perspective, where I have the same experience as Cowboy. Time will tell, which leads me to another question:

Earlier today you mentioned some Lambo for the Weismann Rival. I got some Chevy today and not sure wat should I do for the Lamb. Any info about that?
The controller still has some steering aids, so thats probably what makes it easier to pick up and do quick times with, but they ultimately still have the same potential. If the wheel were inherently slower, then the leaderboards would all be topped by people using controllers, which isn't the case. It sounds like there's just more practice needed with a wheel.

As for the Lambo, I'm assuming you mean the LP670 or whatever? You've gotta beat Montoya's time in the King of the Track event. Its a 1:32.117 I think. There's a possibility that he can improve his time later on, but I doubt it. You wont get the car til sometime in April, though, a week or two after the competition ends(end of the month).

I can put a number on it and everything, but I like to have custom paintjobs on my cars and I certainly cant come up with anything good looking, so I usually go through the Storefront to find something nice. And I dont typically do replicas or other popular liveries. I like something a bit more unique.

I merely wanted them to look like race cars— replicas aren't required.

Just painted these up (all inspired by real cars):

Intend to change the yellow bits of the Camaro to red. Wish the 'Plymouth' logo in the game was white instead of black.

PS: Wish we could drop 5L V8s in all the cars and bump the redline up past 9000:
TopGear.com: Old Trans-Am racers revisited.

Do you crew guys ever do Time Trials? Like pick car/track, a week or whatever, for everyone to have a go?

I can probably participate in that stuff. Don't think I'll ever be able to catch you for live races (lag aside) the time difference is terrible.

Here is Day 3 of 50 Days of (Green) Hell:

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 3 - Jaguar XJ220

Okay, so this car is a bit of an oddity. I finally understand why the V6TT was such a terrible idea for the XJ220. The usable powerband is pathetically small, probably only around 2K. I can't tell you the number of times I messed up shifts because the RPMs were too low in one gear and then too high in the next lower gear. You hit that sweet spot and them BAM, time to shift. Add to that the plowing understeer into insane snap oversteer and the car just feels constantly unsettled. However I will admit that the engine note actually sounds really nice at the higher RPMs.

I have had a car/video game blog for a while and it has been dormant for too long. I am thinking about putting these videos and summaries on my blog so it will be easier to get to and read. I will let you know if I start moving them over to it.

I am going to have a special car for you tomorrow and also our first Guest Driver!

We were going to, but there wasn't enough interest/organization IIRC.

Rivals Mode can lead to trash talking here and on Live.

I've run them before on other forums and wouldn't mind running them here, but if there's little/no interest, there's probably no point.

And as you say, Rivals mode is kinda in place anyway.

Is there a list of IDs for everyone here I can add? Not in the first post anyway?

I've run them before on other forums and wouldn't mind running them here, but if there's little/no interest, there's probably no point.

And as you say, Rivals mode is kinda in place anyway.

Is there a list of IDs for everyone here I can add? Not in the first post anyway?

I'd be very keen for rivals/TTs.

As for the list of names; shouldn't it come up under "club" when you sort leaderboard?
That way, whoever posts a time, will have their GT show up that way.
Seems like hardly any effort from anyone here at all, aside from putting the results up and organizing a time frame - oh, and maybe prizes.

EDIT: I think I misinterpreted why you wanted GTs, but I'll leave my post as is....

Here is Day 3 of 50 Days of (Green) Hell:

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 3 - Jaguar XJ220

Okay, so this car is a bit of an oddity. I finally understand why the V6TT was such a terrible idea for the XJ220. The usable powerband is pathetically small, probably only around 2K. I can't tell you the number of times I messed up shifts because the RPMs were too low in one gear and then too high in the next lower gear. You hit that sweet spot and them BAM, time to shift. Add to that the plowing understeer into insane snap oversteer and the car just feels constantly unsettled. However I will admit that the engine note actually sounds really nice at the higher RPMs.

I have had a car/video game blog for a while and it has been dormant for too long. I am thinking about putting these videos and summaries on my blog so it will be easier to get to and read. I will let you know if I start moving them over to it.

I am going to have a special car for you tomorrow and also our first Guest Driver!

Hey Shortt, nice idea on these Nordschleife runs. You've inspired me to pick up some cars I haven't driven and do some driving there myself. Gives me a chance to enjoy some cockpit driving as well, which I haven't done enough of honestly.

Hey Shortt, nice idea on these Nordschleife runs. You've inspired me to pick up some cars I haven't driven and do some driving there myself. Gives me a chance to enjoy some cockpit driving as well, which I haven't done enough of honestly.

You wanna do some Guest Drives on this thing man? It would be cool to get runs from you since you are such a quick driver.

Speaking of! I have the first Guest Driver segment up. It is our very own Dead Poul / SarBear driving the Ferrari 575 like a goddam madman! You guys gotta check this out!

50 Days of (Green) Hell Guest Drive 1 - Dead Poul

Top Bottom