• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

G Rom

I'd love to see damage stay on your cars for a period of time until you choose to repair them. I think NFS had that in one of their previous games. The tracks need more scuffs and marks too, sometimes they look way too clean. I'll always remember how cool Forza 1 was when you scraped against the walls, your paint would come off aswell.

They still haven't perfected the repays. I have a feeling someone higher up wants to keep some angles in and the guys programming them in just have to bend to their feedback. The floating cams are just TERRIBLE. They take any realism the replays had and just throws it out the window. It's gotten better over the years, but they still need a bunch of work. There are ways to make those angles better; such as following the car but have the camera bounce up and down with the road rather the car, this way you can see the bumps in the road and how they affect each vehicle. The game is beautiful in many ways, but those angles seem to accentuate the ugly parts. I don't give a shit what the top of my car looks like on Silverstone, the track is bad enough, let me enjoy the scenery! :p

Also! Why can't we watch two player replays? I fondly remember playing gran turismo 1 on psx back in the day and having a blast watching our battles afterwards.
IIRC, the paint thing never made it back due to RAM usage.

I also get this feeling of someone pulling the (wrong) string in some department. I refuse to believe that they collectively agreed that adding a fuckton of bloom was for the best, same with the big bloom flash when crashing at high speed or, as you said, the shitty Forza Cams in replay...
I also get a feeling that someone over there thinks that using as much effects as possible is the answer to making the game look better. I really don't think it is.
IMO, they need to learn to better use the effects. Think of RSC->RSC2. RSC was a bump mapping, effects fest while in RSC2, DICE tonned down reflections on the ice, etc... The result was a much better looking game.
Turn 10 also need to learn that knowing how to showcase your game is like half the Wow factor. For example, GT5 looks good but what makes it looks better than everything else is the way PD knows how to showcase their engine and their assets like no one else in the business. They need to basically do what we do with photo mode, i.e hide what looks bad.

I think PD missed a trick with the flash of sunlight across the cars, I really like that in Forza but should be confined to cars and windows.

edit: I can't believe the title update didn't fix the multiscreen bugs. Applying liveries still crashes the game and the graphics glitches are the same.

IY4nP.jpg

Djrds

Neo Member
An E92? No, because its already in the game. Maybe add the E90 M3 CRT since there are no M3 sedans in the game.
If you mean an F80, there would actually have to be one to model before they could put it in the game.

The F80 M3 hasn't even been officially revealed yet so we'll have to wait for that before wanting to see it in the game...
As for a BWM wishlist, I'd like the new M6, the E90 3 Series (with touring car kits), the M3 DTM (along with the 2012 S5 DTM and 2012 C Class DTM), the 328, the 328 Hommage, some 7 Series (along with S Classes and S8s), the i8 Concept, etc...

But honestly, I think BMW is already pretty well covered. Among the German manufacturers, Mercedes and Opel are the ones needing a massive boost to their roster.

Edit : Beaten on the F80 M3.

Nope, i wasn't talking about the F80. I was talking about the E92. Yes, I know we already have one but geeze... It's so badly modelled and more importantly, it doesn't have those fancy splitters and led taillights. I wouldn't mind an E90, though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Speaking of graphical glitches, apparently the new patch has resulted in a lot of people's liveries not showing up in online races. I suppose its part of the compromise we get for getting stable lobbies(which is soooooo, sooooo great).

cbox

IIRC, the paint thing never made it back due to RAM usage.

I also get this feeling of someone pulling the (wrong) string in some department. I refuse to believe that they collectively agreed that adding a fuckton of bloom was for the best, same with the big bloom flash when crashing at high speed or, as you said, the shitty Forza Cams in replay...
I also get a feeling that someone over there thinks that using as much effects as possible is the answer to making the game look better. I really don't think it is.
IMO, they need to learn to better use the effects. Think of RSC->RSC2. RSC was a bump mapping, effects fest while in RSC2, DICE tonned down reflections on the ice, etc... The result was a much better looking game.
Turn 10 also need to learn that knowing how to showcase your game is like half the Wow factor. For example, GT5 looks good but what makes it looks better than everything else is the way PD knows how to showcase their engine and their assets like no one else in the business. They need to basically do what we do with photo mode, i.e hide what looks bad.

I have a feeling the engineering team is a lot bigger than the art team at T10. The creative/art director should rethink his strategy. Don't get me wrong though, F4 is amazing to look at, some things are still there though - I call em legacy packages haha.

Man, if I could work at T10, I'd be in heaven.

What cars from this pack would you guys most like to see in the "50 Days of (Green) Hell?

And the Snake Charmers has been postponed until next week. With the move and everything, I just don't have the time for that right now. But starting next Sunday, I will start taking and uploading the videos. So far I have the following:

Driver 1: Shortt Sirket
Driver 2: LoopofHenle
Driver 3: Dead Poul
Driver 4: Seanspeed
Driver 5: SteelOak
Driver 6: sneaky77
Driver 7: Big Takeover
Driver 8: Crude Diatribe
Driver 9: ZORBS
Driver 10: G ROM
Driver 11: Arucardo

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What cars from this pack would you guys most like to see in the "50 Days of (Green) Hell?

And the Snake Charmers has been postponed until next week. With the move and everything, I just don't have the time for that right now. But starting next Sunday, I will start taking and uploading the videos. So far I have the following:

Driver 1: Shortt Sirket
Driver 2: LoopofHenle
Driver 3: Dead Poul
Driver 4: Seanspeed
Driver 5: SteelOak
Driver 6: sneaky77
Driver 7: Big Takeover
Driver 8: Crude Diatribe
Driver 9: ZORBS
Driver 10: G ROM
Driver 11: Arucardo

anything to stop us from doing laps now and you capturing them at your convenience, not unlike the 50 days stuff? also, am i right to assume that driver # has nothing to do with when videos will be posted, as i'm not sure when i'll be running forza again in the immediate future (busy weekend upcoming)?

Arucardo

anything to stop us from doing laps now and you capturing them at your convenience, not unlike the 50 days stuff? also, am i right to assume that driver # has nothing to do with when videos will be posted, as i'm not sure when i'll be running forza again in the immediate future (busy weekend upcoming)?

My ACR lap is already on my storefront lol.

Yeah, anytime you want to run it is cool. I just won't be uploading them until next week. I figured I would give a heads up to people so they can get ready to run the laps.

Thanks again for all the participation guys!

What's the car for this again?

It is the newer Dodge Viper ACR on Camino Extreme.

-----------------------

I have the new videos up:

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 15 - Morgan Aero SuperSports

Sorry about the driving quality in this video. I have been just beat with all the moving. Still, it doesn't seem to be too bad. This car is actually not too bad. It both looks great and it sounds magnificent but it doesn't exactly control great. It will plow into a corner like a cow if you even think about turning while braking. And it has a disturbing propensity to snap oversteer at the wrong throttle application. It looks like an old car and it wants you to drive like a gentleman. Just nice and smooth, cool and calm. I really felt like I needed a leather helmet and old school driving gloves during this lap.

50 Days of (Green) Hell Guest Drive 12 - Corvette ZR1

LoopofHenle driving the Corvette ZR1

I've been working on some sponsors for the DLC cars today, (yeah had a day off :D ) Now I have to figure out what to do with this...

Anyone thirsty? :D

7025479477_f2b729891b_c.jpg

Shaneus

Don't care about what the potential in-game cost could be. It just looks like sex. And would make for a great Autovista experience.

Anyone know if you'll be able to apply vinyls over the side moulds/black strips on the rx7?

Please tell me you can. If not, it's going to be like you telling me Mila Kunis has a cock growing out of her...

SarBear

Anyone know if you'll be able to apply vinyls over the side moulds/black strips on the rx7?

Please tell me you can. If not, it's going to be like you telling me Mila Kunis has a cock growing out of her...

.....i mean, dude......

........I would still hit it, but I would just work AROUND that thing!

I think PD missed a trick with the flash of sunlight across the cars, I really like that in Forza but should be confined to cars and windows.

edit: I can't believe the title update didn't fix the multiscreen bugs. Applying liveries still crashes the game and the graphics glitches are the same.

IY4nP.jpg

wow that sucks

sneaky77

I uploaded my Camino Viejo Lap into my storefront - please just don't laugh at me lol is my first time driving without a hud and I had no idea what gear I was on half the time.

maserati GT MC - green hell lap on my storefront now.. I thought about redoing it cause I wrecked a couple times, but it is what it is so I thought I'll leave it and you guys can laugh, I am just not as talented as some of you fucks.. specially without a good tune to help handling lol

I added a lap with the 08 Lancer Evo - In real life I drive a Lancer GT 2010 but this car is not in the game so I thought it would be fun to do a lap with the closest thing available.

edit:

I added a third lap with the 1003 #5 OPC Astra V8 - I feel this was my best lap I guess after the other two I knew the track a bit better, but obviously a good driver could probably save a lot of time from my lap.

Is the first time I ever try the no hud thing the only thing I forgot to turn off was the turn rating which doesn't affect much, but no hud is so much more inmersive, specially on cockpit view.. I may just leave it like this permanently

Arucardo

I think I'll do another Green Hell lap this weekend with one of the DLC cars. I bought the season pass a few weeks ago and gave most of the cars a quick try. No idea what I'll pick yet.

Awesome guys! Glad you are having fun with this. I will try to grab your replays as soon as I can. Things have just been crazy hectic with the move and such.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Awesome guys! Glad you are having fun with this. I will try to grab your replays as soon as I can. Things have just been crazy hectic with the move and such.

not super familiar with google docs, but are you able to make a separate sheet in the one you have that is editable by anyone? that way we could add in what we have done and put up on our store fronts and you could cut and paste into your master list once you've done your capturing/uploading. might be an easier way to ensure runs don't fall through the cracks and there isnt a huge amount of overlap in cars chosen.

sneaky77

it was fun I was looking for an excuse to get back into forza.. sorry my laps suck lol.

It kinda makes me wish the event list borrowed the "loaner car" aspect from the shift series.. in some races in shift you had to purchase a car, but a lot of events was model a vs model b, you can choose either one in stock form as a loaner to complete it, i think that would incorporate more variety when u don't have to use funds to buy all the cars.

not super familiar with google docs, but are you able to make a separate sheet in the one you have that is editable by anyone? that way we could add in what we have done and put up on our store fronts and you could cut and paste into your master list once you've done your capturing/uploading. might be an easier way to ensure runs don't fall through the cracks and there isnt a huge amount of overlap in cars chosen.

Hmm, I am not sure if there is anyway to make just one tab editable. And the problem is that lurkers always screw with those things. I think the best way would be to just PM me the lists you have. That way I can just add them into the list I have.

Mascot

G Rom is right on the money. It also doesn't help that the game runs at 60fps which makes the game look even more...well gamey if you know what i mean.
Too clean cut, too smooth, too perfect. It definitely needs some 'imperfection' to liven it up a little.

You know, it's one thing to have realism,simulation but it's a whole other thing where AUTHENTICITY is concerned.
You can have the most realistic physics model, the most glamorous lug nuts modeled to an inch of reality, but if it lacks a soul, lacks that air of authenticity about it, then imo you have missed the mark.
There is so much authenticity missing from these games. Little things that can add a lot to immersion and such.
Things like:

Pre race sequences (marshalls,semi naked chicks,pit activity..etc)
Lively crowds ( balloons,flags,banners,people walking..etc)
Track detaill ( debris,sand,dust, rubbish,damaged/scraped walls/barriers,marbles..etc)
Car detail (dirt build up, bug splatter/dirty windows,hanging panels/parts, tyre deformation/blow outs,smokey exhausts..etc
Driver detail (period clothing, faster hand movements, reactions to crashes and other events, faster wheel movements..etc
Sound (Louder spooling/bov's, PROPER dog box whine, audible 'thudding' shifts, transmission wobble, 'echoey' cockpit when stripped out, chassis creak, overrun, lively announcer..etc
Replays (grittier filters, PROPER TV style replays, more camera movement..etc)

Grid and Shift say Hi!

Mila Kunis has a cock growing out of her...sorry

If you need me, I'll be rocking in the corner, curled up in a foetal position....

The side of the rx7 is so narrow that any design you put on it will be obstructed by the strips.

There goes my dream of having Moffats Stuyvesant livery on the (almost) correct car.

Should I still be keeping my fingers crossed, or is it a dead cert?

Finally picked this game up. Quick question: How's the Speed Wheel? I'm not super serious and don't want a big honkin' wheel in my house and would also love the kids to pick up and play most racing games. Worth it?

DasRaven

Finally picked this game up. Quick question: How's the Speed Wheel? I'm not super serious and don't want a big honkin' wheel in my house and would also love the kids to pick up and play most racing games. Worth it?

Made exactly for your type of gameplay. A bit more realistic than the controller, but nowhere near a full wheel/pedal kit.
For kids, also consider picking up the Kinect. It is perfect for even very young kids to get some Car Passion™.

Got the new videos up:

50 Days of (Green) Hell Day 16 - Cadillac CTS-V

I know Caddy wanted this car to be a sort of "American Mercedes," and I think they really pulled it off. However, not in a good way. This car really does act just like the big AMG sedans. Just too heavy, too much horsepower to make up for the weight, and too soft of a suspension to keep it "luxury." Because of all these things, you don't really feel like you are actually enjoying the drive. It just feels like you are trying to force this massive vehicle around instead of actually driving it. The initial turn-in in shockingly good, but the constant oversteer because of the soft suspension really kills the feeling of the car.

50 Days of (Green) Hell Guest Drive 13 - FC RX7

This is REW138 tearing around in the FC RX7.

Somewhere I specially remember reading that Turn10 extended the course......for a reason that I can't recall. So your hunch is correct.

Widened and lengthened in spots for playability purposes is the reason most commonly mentioned, although others have said that Turn 10 used the assets from the PGR versions.

A re-scanned, remodeled Nordschleife, I shit you not, is near the very top of my wishlist for FM5.

I'm still a tad bitter we didn't get the 24 Hours layout. The GP circuit was DLC in FM3, so I could understand its omission then, but they had all the necessary assets coming into FM4 and still no luck...

Top Bottom