• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Just eliminate all the weak-ass Boxster models and that'll open up a few slots.

Boxster + Boxster S would be acceptable I think. We don't need multiple liveried 2011 GT3-RSR's though, especially as the community will have most/if not all of the possible race liveries created after a week anyway.

We need this:
1977_porsche_935_jgermeister01.jpg

SarBear

Fucking women. They come in droves when you're not even looking or wanting to be bothered. But when I'm tall like the statue of liberty there's none in sight.

....what to do.....

Xanadu

Banned
Fucking women. They come in droves when you're not even looking or wanting to be bothered. But when I'm tall like the statue of liberty there's none in sight.

....what to do.....

not post about it on the the forza thread would be a start

it will be very disappointing if the 917 is not included, and if theres no track then i give up on t10

The latest Rear View Mirror mention Shortt Sirkett (50days), congrats.

Am I confused or did they get confused? Wait, now I'm more confused...stole your idea?

fm.net said:
50 Days of Green Hell

Here’s a concept, pick 50 cars and run them around the Nürburgring, a track lovingly referred to as “The Green Hell” by racing legend Jackie Stewart. While this may not earn you an Xbox achievement, it is certainly an achievement. Dead Poul and Shortt Sirket earned their “Green Hell” badge in this thread and posted a video of each car doing it.

Now I propose the following, while not as hardcore as 50 cars in 50 days, I think this will be fun.

Johniwanna’s 5 Days of Green Hell

Want a unicorn? Pick a car and run a lap of the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Follow these rules and post up a video of your lap on YouTube and then post a link to it in this week’s RVM thread. I’ll pick ten winners by Friday and give them unicorn of choice. My criteria will be most unique car used, fastest lap time, coolest “Green Hell” livery (liveries not required), and style. Drifters welcome!

Rules are simple, no assists, no HUD, no map, no rewind, cockpit view only. You can tune the car to your liking. In your thread post, tell me the car you used, your unicorn of choice and any definitive details of why I should watch and choose your video.

The latest Rear View Mirror mention Shortt Sirkett (50days), congrats.

Am I confused or did they get confused? Wait, now I'm more confused...stole your idea?

Shortt made it to Turn 10's Rear View Mirror.

Too bad the link doesn't work.

EDIT: Beaten.

Thanks guys, I just saw the mention. It is too bad they borked the link though! Glad they thought it was interesting enough to use, although I wish they would have featured one of my videos also.

Oh well.

Mascot

Looking unlikely that were going to get a good selection of new fan requested classics now; 918/918 RSR, 917K, 935, 356... Just not enough spots left.

Oh, we'll get them alright, we just need to be patient. They are being held back for the June, July and August DLC packs.

FUCK. When did I turn into such a cynical bastard? This is YOUR fault, Dan!

Edit: well done with the name check, Shortty..!

Has anyone tried playing around with Forza's audio using a graphic equaliser?

Although I like the engine's sound they can come across as a TV-friendly wall of sound, never hitting the highs or lows I'd like.

I'll have to sacrifice Dolby Digital to route the audio through my PC, any idea if a graphic equalizer will fuck up the Pro Logic encoding?

Mascot

Has anyone tried playing around with Forza's audio using a graphic equaliser?

Although I like the engine's sound they can come across as a TV-friendly wall of sound, never hitting the highs or lows I'd like.

I'll have to sacrifice Dolby Digital to route the audio through my PC, any idea if a graphic equalizer will fuck up the Pro Logic encoding?

Not sure about routing via a graphic equaliser, but my audio goes through a Yamaha 5.1 amp, so I have a fair degree of adjustment possible while maintaining the PL encoding. Nevertheless, and especially after playing Shift, the audio in Forza does seem very one-dimensional and slightly... empty. It's something I really hope they improve for Forza 5. You can definitely tell that the sounds have been sampled on a dyno using a static car in Forza, whereas in Shift it seems (although I'm sure it's not the case) that the audio has been taken during aggressive driving of the vehicle. Transmission whining, turbos spooling, prop shafts spinning, teeth engaging, brake calipers biting, pistons pumping... it's all present and correct in Shift and sadly lacking in Forza. It seems in FM4 you get the engine sounds and a bit of road noise, and that's it. Forza's audio is still too clinical for my tastes. I have to have it as loud as I can stand it to get any sense of being there, and even then, it's still very noticable that the audio is missing several key components.

Edit: and those weird electrostatic 'clicks' fom the rear speakers continue to be an annoyance. Aren't these a hangover from FM2? It's about time they were dealt with.

Your right there mate, it's clinical. Same with the driving and atmosphere.

I tried to get into Shift 2 but the handling put me off instantly which is a shame because it looked and sounded great.

Yeah the crackle is an old bug iirc, there's a few of them still in there, I hope for next gen they scrap the engine and Forza 1/2 tracks and models, continually building on legacy assets leaves every Forza feeling samey and somewhat broken.

I'll post your cable today hopefully ;)

saladine1

Not sure about routing via a graphic equaliser, but my audio goes through a Yamaha 5.1 amp, so I have a fair degree of adjustment possible while maintaining the PL encoding. Nevertheless, and especially after playing Shift, the audio in Forza does seem very one-dimensional and slightly... empty. It's something I really hope they improve for Forza 5. You can definitely tell that the sounds have been sampled on a dyno using a static car in Forza, whereas in Shift it seems (although I'm sure it's not the case) that the audio has been taken during aggressive driving of the vehicle. Transmission whining, turbos spooling, prop shafts spinning, teeth engaging, brake calipers biting, pistons pumping... it's all present and correct in Shift and sadly lacking in Forza. It seems in FM4 you get the engine sounds and a bit of road noise, and that's it. Forza's audio is still too clinical for my tastes. I have to have it as loud as I can stand it to get any sense of being there, and even then, it's still very noticable that the audio is missing several key components.

Edit: and those weird electrostatic 'clicks' fom the rear speakers continue to be an annoyance. Aren't these a hangover from FM2? It's about time they were dealt with.
My sentiments exactly.
People can complain all they want about the NFS series, but if there's one thing that it dominates in it's field, it's the sound.
Sure, they can be considered a little over the top sometimes, but it's the ancillaries that you've described that gives it the authenticity we all can relate to.

Forza has amazing, and probably the best engine samples only to be let down by the supporting sounds such as gearbox whine and oscillation, brakes, spools..etc

It's mind boggling that games like NFS, DiRT 3..etc, supposed arcade games, can capture the authenticity of racing and driving sounds perfectly, yet supposed sims like GT and FM can't..

Mascot

Your right there mate, it's clinical. Same with the driving and atmosphere.

I tried to get into Shift 2 but the handling put me off instantly which is a shame because it looked and sounded great.

It's definitely worth sticking with mate, and worth Googling recommended FFB wheel settings & in-game adjustments to get it feeling 'right'. Some of the races are fucking epic, especially the night races on Spa and Bathurst. I feel genuine fear when I've got a headlight out and the bastard on my tail is lighting up my cockpit with his full beams while I'm entering a blind bend. Truly exhilerating stuff.
I come away from Forza needing a cup of tea.
I come away from Shift needing a shower.

It's mind boggling that games like NFS, DiRT 3..etc, supposed arcade games, can capture the authenticity of racing and driving sounds perfectly, yet supposed sims like GT and FM can't..

I'm hoping that Dan finally recognises this if he wants to move Forza forward. Autovista is nice, but is ultimately pointless when there are still basic gameplay elements that need resources thrown at them.

SHIFT 2
Some of the races are fucking epic, especially the night races on Spa and Bathurst. I feel genuine fear...

Effing A!
I'm going to play a little Shift 2 so that I can think more about my submission to GRom...

G Rom

My theory about this lack of high and low is that it might come from the compression needed to fit hundreds of sounds in the sound budget of the dvd. SHIFT has way less cars so they can probably fit higher quality samples.
We know from Nick's previous work that he can deliver even better sound than the one heard in FM4 (Toyota GT-One in PGR4, there are no word...), that's why I think my theory could have some kind of truth to it.
Next-gen can't come soon enough, I'd be surprised if the increased disc space didn't bring more higher quality samples. Hopefully we'll get uncompressed/DTS Master Audio sound on those systems like on the PS3, that way the limit to sound quality would be lifted as well.

BTW, congrats Shortt ! :)

Shaneus

While we're on it, is there anything that makes Shift 2 less... crappy? For PC, I mean. I didn't play a lot because it never felt right, but if there's something that can be done to make it more enjoyable just so I can hear the sound, I'm all for it.

saladine1

My theory about this lack of high and low is that it might come from the compression needed to fit hundreds of sounds in the sound budget of the dvd. SHIFT has way less cars so they can probably fit higher quality samples.
We know from Nick's previous work that he can deliver even better sound than the one heard in FM4 (Toyota GT-One in PGR4, there are no word...), that's why I think my theory could have some kind of truth to it.
Next-gen can't come soon enough, I'd be surprised if the increased disc space didn't bring more higher quality samples. Hopefully we'll get uncompressed/DTS Master Audio sound on those systems like on the PS3, that way the limit to sound quality would be lifted as well.

Don't forget, Nick Wiswell joined the team pretty late as well, so a few things would've been in place when he started working on the game.
He did say in an interview with Tracktimeaudio that he had a boat load of ideas to enhance the experience for FM5 so I have full confidence that he will deliver..

It's definitely worth sticking with mate, and worth Googling recommended FFB wheel settings & in-game adjustments to get it feeling 'right'. Some of the races are fucking epic, especially the night races on Spa and Bathurst. I feel genuine fear when I've got a headlight out and the bastard on my tail is lighting up my cockpit with his full beams while I'm entering a blind bend. Truly exhilerating stuff.

I'm hoping that Dan finally recognises this if he wants to move Forza forward. Autovista is nice, but is ultimately pointless when there are still basic gameplay elements that need resources thrown at them.

lol, quote of the century!
If Gaf allowed signatures in our profiles, I would've used that...with your permission of course.

Mascot

While we're on it, is there anything that makes Shift 2 less... crappy? For PC, I mean. I didn't play a lot because it never felt right, but if there's something that can be done to make it more enjoyable just so I can hear the sound, I'm all for it.

I'm pretty sure there are various mods out there if you know where to look. I don't game at all on my PC so have no direct experience, but I'm sure I've read things to that effect. Maybe try Speedhunters forums?

Seanspeed

Banned
Those games are smaller in scope. Its easier to focus on the fine details when you aren't trying to pack in every feature possible like GT and Forza.

I'm not saying they couldn't do better, but considering the short dev cycle, I wouldn't say its 'mind boggling'.

G Rom

Oh yeah, I really don't expect 560 MS Points.
They probably saw a FM add-on and thought that it was the same price as those released before. Makes you wonder if anyone beside T10 cares about FM at Microsoft...

Badned mentioned over at FC that some cars were modeled, but the list was simply cut at some point and models like the 2012 GT3 RSR, GT3 RS 4.0, and GT2 RS went back into the pool. Actually makes me wonder how big the modeled car pool is over at T10.

I really hope June's DLC is better than May's Junker pack.

Badned mentioned over at FC that some cars were modeled, but the list was simply cut at some point and models like the 2012 GT3 RSR, GT3 RS 4.0, and GT2 RS went back into the pool. Actually makes me wonder how big the modeled car pool is over at T10.

NOOO!!!! Between this and the 917, I am just crushed!

G Rom

Probably gigantic. The Clio released in DLC dates back to FM3, some TofuR cars were released in FM4 while some have yet to see the light, Forzalopnik cars have appeared in FM4 and keep appearing in DLC, etc...
The 917 was apparently ready for FM3 but EA got in the way, looks like it will be the same for FM4...
Don't forget the lost Autovista cars as well.
For all we know, they may even have open wheelers ready to go, just waiting for the engine to support them.

BADNED

I did not said all those three got cut, I just said you will soon find out which of those were on the good side and which got cut.

People can complain all they want about the NFS series, but if there's one thing that it dominates in it's field, it's the sound.
Sure, they can be considered a little over the top sometimes, but it's the ancillaries that you've described that gives it the authenticity we all can relate to.

Forza has amazing, and probably the best engine samples only to be let down by the supporting sounds such as gearbox whine and oscillation, brakes, spools..etc

After attending the ALMS race at Laguna Seca last weekend, and hearing the C6.Rs thundering past at full throttle, one of the impressions I got was how very far games still have to go in terms of conveying the sheer sonic intensity of a racecar with the hammer down. Don't even get me started on how much the trackside atmosphere is lacking.

A slight aside, but "thundering" really doesn't do the sound of the Corvettes justice. It's a fucking seismic event when those things streak past you. You feel it in your chest, and in the ground beneath your feet. It's nothing less than a relentless, skull-shattering, bowel-loosening aural assault. It's easy to see why the 'Vettes win everything-- they shout everyone else into submission.

I have to stifle a bit of a laugh when people label NFS or even Forza's audio as "over the top," although the former does give street cars unnecessary dog 'box whine among other "enhancements." The racecar cockpits in Shift 2 are positively alive with sound and clatter-- Forza and, especially, a certain other console racing game, are both muted and synthetic in comparison. I know why this is the case, for reasons Seanspeed and G Rom have already mentioned, but if there's one thing I dislike about these games' "all things to all people" approach to car rosters, it's how the supercar and racecar experience gets somewhat diluted when the resources have to be spread so broadly.

I guess it's just a necessary evil of the Forza car-collecting experience, but it makes me appreciate games like Shift and even PGR, that offer a more focused experience, that much more.

2012 Porsche Cayman R

Finally! Something other than a Beetle or an ugly-thing.

I love the 911 too. Really.

After attending the ALMS race at Laguna Seca last weekend, and hearing the C6.Rs thundering past at full throttle, one of the impressions I got was how very far games still have to go in terms of conveying the sheer sonic intensity of a racecar with the hammer down. Don't even get me started on how much the trackside atmosphere is lacking.

The last 20 minutes of that race, for the interested.

Speaking of things we don't have in FM4: Milner and Magnusson are two of the three drivers of a Z06.R GT3 car in the Nürburgring 24h this weekend.

I think you are right about compression, there's already distortion and clipping within the car's sound effects, anything I change just amplifies the distortion and when the wind effects fades in I can hear other effects dropping out.

Rumble strips, collisions and music shake the house but there's little more I can get out of the cars.

saladine1

A slight aside, but "thundering" really doesn't do the sound of the Corvettes justice. It's a fucking seismic event when those things streak past you. You feel it in your chest, and in the ground beneath your feet. It's nothing less than a relentless, skull-shattering, bowel-loosening aural assault. It's easy to see why the 'Vettes win everything-- they shout everyone else into submission.

I have to stifle a bit of a laugh when people label NFS or even Forza's audio as "over the top," although the former does give street cars unnecessary dog 'box whine among other "enhancements." The racecar cockpits in Shift 2 are positively alive with sound and clatter-- Forza and, especially, a certain other console racing game, are both muted and synthetic in comparison. I know why this is the case, for reasons Seanspeed and G Rom have already mentioned, but if there's one thing I dislike about these games' "all things to all people" approach to car rosters, it's how the supercar and racecar experience gets somewhat diluted when the resources have to be spread so broadly.

I guess it's just a necessary evil of the Forza car-collecting experience, but it makes me appreciate games like Shift and even PGR, that offer a more focused experience, that much more.
I still remember when SMS was marketing the game as AUTHENTIC. I didn't know exactly what they meant by that, I mean, wasn't FM authentic?
What's going to be different here?
That is, until I played the game. The absolute brutality of the cars' audio, the relentless AI, the frightening night races all had an authentic, real life feel to it.
If anyone has raced in real life, they can easily relate to SHIFT.

The thing about SHIFT or any other NFS game for that matter, is that even a stock,plain production car sounds authentic. why?
Because of the shifting effects and gearbox/engine oscillation. They sound as if a human has just shifted and not a computer. Mis-shifts,imperfect shifts, engine and gearbox judder..etc. This is one thing (among many) I would LOVE for Turn 10 to replicate to give a sense of authenticity, a sense of humanity to the cars..it's not an impossible task nor is it time consuming nor is it intensive!

SarBear

Thanks guys, I just saw the mention. It is too bad they borked the link though! Glad they thought it was interesting enough to use, although I wish they would have featured one of my videos also.

Oh well.

Well deserved. Shame he linked it to the private message i sent him about the event instead of the thread. I sent him another link to the official thread, hopefully he'll fix it. It's about damn time your dedication was noticed, Shortt. :)

Well deserved. Shame he linked it to the private message i sent him about the event instead of the thread. I sent him another link to the official thread, hopefully he'll fix it. It's about damn time your dedication was noticed, Shortt. :)

So THAT is what he was linking! I was confused, trying to figure out what he was actually linking to. They did fix the link, so it is all gravy now and thanks for getting the series out there man! Plus you got a nice mention too.

Top Bottom