• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

LostVector

Neo Member
In use, the h-gate and clutch pedal add yet another dimension to Forza, far above and beyond the improvements already offered by the sequential shifter. The sense of reward in nailing a perfect shift, in getting the revs just right at the start of a race, in banging down through the gears attacking a hairpin at high speed, in heel-and-toe double-declutching… it’s all brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. This is how driving games were meant to be played, and I’m eternally grateful to Jack for presenting an opportunity that I might not otherwise have investigated. I was more than happy shifting the default way until I tried the stick shifters, and now I can’t imagine ever going back to the paddles. It would be a definite downgrade. I’d heartily recommend the shifter set to anyone with a Fanatec wheel and Clubsport pedal set. It really does complete the package.

Thanks again, Jack – you’re an absolute star, buddy!
Maybe my standards are too high but I think the 6 speed Fanatec shifter is totally awful. It shifts, sort of, but it's wobbly because of the mounting issues and it feels like a toy.

Have they altered the internal design much?

Supposed to be quieter and have haptic feedback

Material: Full aluminium with some steel parts

Mounting options: There will be screw inserts on the bottom. We will make an adapter for the Clubsport table clamp and the RennSport Wheel Stand.

Amount of gears: 7+1

Sequential option: We will implement it but only if this is not a compromise. We have a solution which could work very well in both modes

Haptic feeling: Very similar like in a real car. Perhaps we can even make the resistance adjustable.

Acoustic: A solid "clonck" instead of a "clack" but very silent

Colour/design: Silver as CSP. The shifter will be gated like in a Ferrari or Lamborghini

Style of gear knob: It will be exchangeable so upgrades are possible (leather, carbon, etc). The standard version will be an polished aluminum ball.

Size: We will try to keep the size of the PW shifter but it will probably become a bit higher

Compatibility: It will be backwards compatible to the Porsche wheel shifter and therefore compatible to all platforms. An USB adapter will be available optional to make it work with other wheels on PC.

Pricing: The target will be 99,95 € (incl VAT)/ 109,95 USD (excl. VAT)

Mascot

Supposed to be quieter and have haptic feedback

*info*

It sounds awesome. Any indicative release dates yet?

Edit:

CSS_prototype.jpg

Ooh, ooh - I just did a sex wee.

Maybe my standards are too high but I think the 6 speed Fanatec shifter is totally awful. It shifts, sort of, but it's wobbly because of the mounting issues and it feels like a toy.

Again, the bearing mod I discussed might make all the difference. Mine now shifts superbly, and very easily (less force required = less wobble). The Fanatec shifters are indoubtedly an economy solution, but as far as I'm concerned they do the job remarkably well and inject a much greater level of involvement into racing games.

Try the mod - sounds like you've got nothing to lose..?

Glad you liked them Mascot, as cheapo as they are they do work well.

I sort of hardmounted mine with thick cable ties, that's why the one I sent was a little mashed and gashed. From new they do need a lot of force to hit reverse/5/6 but loosen up over time (or can be modded by chopping the foam down) but yeah I like them a lot, can't wait for the CSS though!

saladine1

So you're telling me I should play it? Bought it a short while ago, not fired it up yet. Think I will tonight, then!

Shift 2?

If so, just be aware that the default settings for handling and related stuff would need tweaking. It's going to feel strange at first, but after you've tweaked and gotten used to everything, the racing is very gripping. At least that's how i feel about it.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Just put some time into some of the Pcars, man its sooo good to have them back! Love the GT3RS and how it handles on rails, have it up in s-class and it holds its own on twisty tracks where it doesn't have the top end, but that's not the case with the GT2RS, man does that thing haul! Not as precise as the GT3RS but it makes up for it with effortless speed. Also diggin the 997T and 959, 997 has plenty of pullin power and the awd holds up quite well, seems to handle better than it did in FM2 & FM3. Love the way the 959 goes out of the corners, even while losing traction it still pulls well as your sliding out of the corners, reminds me of the Quattro rally car. Gonna give it a break and get back to it later.

Mascot

Shift 2?

If so, just be aware that the default settings for handling and related stuff would need tweaking. It's going to feel strange at first, but after you've tweaked and gotten used to everything, the racing is very gripping. At least that's how i feel about it.
Seconded.
Tea/Shower.

Shaneus

Shift 2?

Will do! Is it the sort of game that feels better with a controller (ie PGR4) or should I bust out the G27?

(I'll find the rest of the info about mods etc. for it myself. Promise!)

saladine1

Will do! Is it the sort of game that feels better with a controller (ie PGR4) or should I bust out the G27?

(I'll find the rest of the info about mods etc. for it myself. Promise!)

To be honest, I haven't played with the controller. Try them both out and see what suits you.

Shift 2?

Could you possibly point me in the direction of these 'tweaks'? I wanna throw this in the machine this weekend.

Great game.

Jamesways

Sorry to butt in - I found Shift (and Shift 2) very twitchy with a pad. The wheel is the way to go, deffo.

If you do use a pad- set the steering sensitivity to 0 and the speed steering sensitivity to 100. Steering deadzone 10-15.

Makes a huge difference.

saladine1

Are those tweaks only applicable for the PC version of Shift 2?

Does anyone else who bought the Porsche pack now have a couple of 'car tokens'?

Would apply across the board I would imagine.

Look, it's something that should've been taken care of by SMS from the start. We shouldn't have to tweak and tune shit just to get things right. But once everything is sorted, you don't have to touch a thing anymore.....that's when the craziness begins..

Being let down by the Carrera GT sounds, I tried out the other Porsche cars (for sound) and holy shit at the race cars!
They sound fucking incredible!

Mascot

Look, it's something that should've been taken care of by SMS from the start. We shouldn't have to tweak and tune shit just to get things right. But once everything is sorted, you don't have to touch a thing anymore.....that's when the craziness begins..

I seem to remember early previews having glowing reports regarding the handling, but then some EA suits stuck their oars in and forced SMS to make changes (more arcadey?) which fucked things right up. Reviewers were wondering WTF happened to the early code they'd loved a few months before.

OK, for the nerdy sound guys out there who want to experience some 'clutch play' /gearbox wobble sound when shifting in manual w/clutch (controller or wheel), go to the advanced controller setup screen and set the 'clutch deadzone outside' to 40 and clutch deadzone inside' to 0. This gives that 'imperfect shift' effect which makes the shifting sound authentic and natural.

I'll give this a go but I'm still wrecking gearboxes regularly with sim damage enabled. I need to work on my clutch control, which is a little tricky with an old ankle injury sending occasional shocks up my left leg...

Stubo

A family member who's a huge racing fan played some Forza while at my house today. I showed him a bunch of liveries from the storefront since he's not really explored it before because he plays GT5 at home.

He was particularly impressed with H3rtZ DoNuT's offerings, in particular on the TVR Sagaris which I've been using with the tune which is up too. Bonus family hat tips to you, good sir ;)

saladine1

I seem to remember early previews having glowing reports regarding the handling, but then some EA suits stuck their oars in and forced SMS to make changes (more arcadey?) which fucked things right up. Reviewers were wondering WTF happened to the early code they'd loved a few months before.

I'll give this a go but I'm still wrecking gearboxes regularly with sim damage enabled. I need to work on my clutch control, which is a little tricky with an old ankle injury sending occasional shocks up my left leg...

What happened to my post?..weird

Anyway, suits at EA definitely fucked things up. We found this out later on.
It shits me that we wont be getting SHIFT 3.

So, E3 is shaping up to be a pretty big one. Possible FM4 announcements and Forza Horizon as well. Looking forward to it.

G Rom

Just did the ALMS Dominator achievement in a 3 laps race on Laguna Seca with a field only filled with GT2 cars. So good ! :)
Did you try the 962c, Saladine ? Fucking amazing sound, right ?

if i remember correctly it only reached about 180mph in the first 3 games, does it now finally reach 210+?

Yes ! 389 kph (about 240 mph) on the chicane-less Mulsanne straight, completely stock.

BTW, I've already said that Alpine A110, A310, etc... need to be added to the game but this should as well :
01-renault-alpine-a110-50.jpg

Thanks for the comments on the previous photos, here are some more :
forza456epm5p.jpg

forza45486kb2.jpg

forza455ham6j.jpg

forza458o8k03.jpg

forza459d18db.jpg

Jamesways

Some EA suits stole it.

WTfuckingFUCK??!
Way to ruin my weekend, dude.
EA pulled the plug? Twats.

EA pulled the plug pretty much the second Shift 2 made it to the shelves. They cut ties with SMS right after release and if I remember correctly, SMS suffered some layoffs from it. We're lucky we got the DLC for Shift 2, but I think that might have been part of the contract/EA's support schedule.

It's a shame too, I had a chance to chat a bit with Andy Tudor last year about his vision for the Shift series, each one he wanted more and more realistic and motorsport focused. But at least now SMS can do their own thing with Project CARS, and all of those ideas are going into that, withtout EA's meddling. So, something good IS coming out of it.

And we get Ferrari Racing Legends now too. (although it looks to handle just like Shift 1 and 2).

IMO, EA had a good thing with the Shift games, they're fools for going back to shoving mediocre Black Box NFS games out the door each year.

edit- G Rom- fantastic pics! Just stunning.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
EA pulled the plug pretty much the second Shift 2 made it to the shelves. They cut ties with SMS right after release and if I remember correctly, SMS suffered some layoffs from it. We're lucky we got the DLC for Shift 2, but I think that might have been part of the contract/EA's support schedule.

It's a shame too, I had a chance to chat a bit with Andy Tudor last year about his vision for the Shift series, each one he wanted more and more realistic and motorsport focused. But at least now SMS can do their own thing with Project CARS, and all of those ideas are going into that, withtout EA's meddling. So, something good IS coming out of it.

And we get Ferrari Racing Legends now too. (although it looks to handle just like Shift 1 and 2).

IMO, EA had a good thing with the Shift games, they're fools for going back to shoving mediocre Black Box NFS games out the door.

yeah, shift was so close to being an absolutely amazing series. looking forward to console version of PCARS though

saladine1

Some EA suits stole it.

WTfuckingFUCK??!
Way to ruin my weekend, dude.
EA pulled the plug? Twats.

Pricks.

SMS have moved on. Black Box has been relegated. Criterion are the sole NFS guys as far as I know and they'll are making Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit 2 which will become a cash cow yearly thing for sure.
They said that they were going to release a 'sim' and 'arcade' game every other year, but for some reason, they've changed their minds.

@G Rom, the 962c is amazing. The spooling and sheer rawness of the thing at full ball is downright incredible. Wiswell has captured the classic race cars very well.

Jamesways

Pricks.

SMS have moved on. Black Box has been relegated. Criterion are the sole NFS guys as far as I know and they'll are making Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit 2 which will become a cash cow yearly thing for sure.
They said that they were going to release a 'sim' and 'arcade' game every other year, but for some reason, they've changed their minds.

@G Rom, the 962c is amazing. The spooling and sheer rawness of the thing at full ball is downright incredible. Wiswell has captured the classic race cars very well.

Really? I thought they were keeping both Criterion and Black Box.
Ah, seems the sales of The Run changed that.

EA are still fools. But SMS is so much better off without them.

OrangeOak

yeah, shift was so close to being an absolutely amazing series. looking forward to console version of PCARS though

What it does right is definitely capturing the feeling of being in a car on a race track, despite its arcade driving model.
Those games for me were always more about the feeling than physics or authenticity.
I would love to see a combination of Forza and Shift series.

saladine1

Really? I thought they were keeping both Criterion and Black Box.
Ah, seems the sales of The Run changed that.

EA are still fools. But SMS is so much better off without them.

Sure, SMS will get to release a proper sim game now but that also means everything that made SHIFT amazing ,apart from the racing itself, is gone. The authentic car and racing culture, the 'street' culture, the customization/upgrades..etc will no longer be featured and this aspect is very important to me.

guest1321

I'm having such a hard time staying in cockpit view now that porsche is out. Any of the others cars I don't really have an issue with but with Porsche... DAT ASS

Mascot

I'm now obsessed by this mythical Clubsport shifter. I need it in my life. Seems people were expecting a release date of about a year ago, but since then there's been fuck-all news about it. Fanatec need to stop faffing around and get the thing released already. Tomas better show & tell at E3 or I'm gonna get miffed.

Yes, I have 2 tokens now. Can't see myself using them, but they're there.

Interesting, I will have to check. That would have been smart if they gave everyone who got the pack some tokens. It is an easy way for them to reward players without screwing up the game economy. Realistically, each DLC pack should have come with X number of tokens to purchase the cars.

And why not use them? It is a free car man!

Edit: You know, I almost feel bad for how easy it was to get all the Porsche Achievements. Less than an hour and I had 250 more GamerScore.

SarBear

Interesting, I will have to check. That would have been smart if they gave everyone who got the pack some tokens. It is an easy way for them to reward players without screwing up the game economy. Realistically, each DLC pack should have come with X number of tokens to purchase the cars.

And why not use them? It is a free car man!

Edit: You know, I almost feel bad for how easy it was to get all the Porsche Achievements. Less than an hour and I had 250 more GamerScore.

At least you get to keep that, unlike all the lost earnings from Pass Time.

zing!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
saw this in the halo thread

329937.gif

on sale may 30th.

forza horizon interview.... mayhaps some details?

BADNED

BTW, I've already said that Alpine A110, A310, etc... need to be added to the game but this should as well :
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dim...m/media/2012/05/01-renault-alpine-a110-50.jpg

and sounds amazing too ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbJXrYm1w3I

I wouldn't expect anything we don't already know before June 6th like Badned said.
The interview has some news bits but all the big stuff will be at E3. June 4th!

Jamesways

Ha! Nice. I happen to playing PGR3 right now. Long live Bizarre Creations.

I'd imagine a combo of Forza and Shift would be motorsport based, at least in my mind. Street events with a little drift peppered in working up to fully licensed race series with rules and flags, then endurance, kind of like Grid's career with better physics.

Mascot

Ah...PGR4.
I was one of the bloggers 'hired' by Bizarre Creations (with promises of swag) for the ill-fated and badly-supported PGR Nations website. Got a copy of the game signed by a bunch of the devs hidden away in a drawer somewhere. I remember the MS legal bods getting very anal with all sorts of NDAs etc, then pretty much fuck-all happened after quite a promising start.
Must dust this game down sometime and see how kindly time has judged it.
Good times on the Bizarre Creations forums, too. I first met Saladine and Enzo (and I think Shaneus?) over there many years ago. Did anyone else here used to frequent that place before Activision smashed the back doors in and started crapping everywhere?

Shaneus

Ah...PGR4.
I was one of the bloggers 'hired' by Bizarre Creations (with promises of swag) for the ill-fated and badly-supported PGR Nations website. Got a copy of the game signed by a bunch of the devs hidden away in a drawer somewhere. I remember the MS legal bods getting very anal with all sorts of NDAs etc, then pretty much fuck-all happened after quite a promising start.
Must dust this game down sometime and see how kindly time has judged it.
Good times on the Bizarre Creations forums, too. I first met Saladine and Enzo (and I think Shaneus?) over there many years ago. Did anyone else here used to frequent that place before Activision smashed the back doors in and started crapping everywhere?
Possibly? I think I reared my head a few times over there, but a VERY small amount. Too long ago to recall. I don't remember openly chatting/connecting with anyone over there really, though.

I actually quite liked the idea behind the Nations website, it just never really lifted off. Cool bit of info though! Also, treasure that copy of the game. Or I will steal it, Mission Impossible-style.

And trust me, time has been INCREDIBLY kind to PGR4. I don't know whether it says more about what Bizarre pulled off then or how little games have progressed in the last five years (I'd say the former) but it's still every bit as fun and looks just as good as you remember it. Fanging the RT12 around... well, anything... is still great.

Top Bottom