• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Klocker

Having just this second completed the World Tour it really hits home what a shame it is that the "Adaptive AI" in this mode is such a broken joke. The race format itself is brilliant. Why the hell T10 didn't fix the AI or patch in the same difficulty options as for the Event Grid I'll never know. It's totally scandalous that World Tour was so obviously broken from day one yet never mended.

Seriously...shame..

what happens when you beat WT? Does it start over or open up each Series?

If you do use a pad- set the steering sensitivity to 0 and the speed steering sensitivity to 100. Steering deadzone 10-15.

Makes a huge difference.

I tried to set this but cannot find any options named "steering sensitivty" or "speed steering sensitivity". I found a bunch of deadzone options.

eso76

Lol, Mascot and I share the same sentiments.
Anyway, Eso and Mascot. Have you guys sent in those wishes in a text file to G Rom?

For anyone who doesn't know, when you quote G Rom's post, the email address (for sending your list) becomes visible.

E3 edging closer...can't wait!

I have !

I forgot Intelligent Replays, i've been suggesting for quite some time.

I'd like an optional tv style replay mode where the cameras aren't always following your car or the one leading the race, but actually cut back and forth to show interesting stuff happening anywhere on the track (crashes, overtakes), focusing and following other cars too, cutting to camera cars etc.

Mascot

I don't know if it's F4's tyre model/physics improvements or just having to pay for them but I'm really digging these Porsches.

Me too. The 959 vs F40 races are terrific fun. Weirdly, all the 2-lap Porsche events turn into much better 5-lappers if you access them through World Tour mode.

I'm loving the 959, GT2, and GT3s. All with Storefront tunes, natch.

Shaneus

Me too. The 959 vs F40 races are terrific fun. Weirdly, all the 2-lap Porsche events turn into much better 5-lappers if you access them through World Tour mode.

Wait, there's a 959 vs F40 series? Holy fucking shit. Tell me it's some kind of homage or there's a reference to this somewhere:
0LBGi.jpg

Just knocking about in one of my favourite cars to drive.
Took a few shots.
(Nurb GP is hard to take photos on IMO, seems like the sepia settings do not transfer over correctly when uploaded to the server - more yellow than on the TV - or is it just me?)

7286597850_80674519c3_c.jpg

7286598176_7c300b64e4_c.jpg

7286598436_f4b7623864_c.jpg

7286598756_856ae07e5a.jpg

(This annoys me a bit when you try to take shots of some cars) :p

Jamesways

I tried to set this but cannot find any options named "steering sensitivty" or "speed steering sensitivity". I found a bunch of deadzone options.

Are you using a pad? If you're using a wheel I think the options might be different. They're under Adjust Controls, click the right bumper for Advanced. Steering Sensitivity is right under Steering Deadzone, Speed Sensitivity is the second one from the bottom.

Mascot

Are you using a pad? If you're using a wheel I think the options might be different. They're under Adjust Controls, click the right bumper for Advanced. Steering Sensitivity is right under Steering Deadzone, Speed Sensitivity is the second one from the bottom.
Is there a good idiots guide to what all the wheel settings do? Eg WTF is 'clutch inside deadzone' etc?

Yep mate, loved the Vs events, made the same mistake I did with Foza 3 by doing all the best races early so a lot of Porsches are redundant. These events are a great addition.

saladine1

Is there a good idiots guide to what all the wheel settings do? Eg WTF is 'clutch inside deadzone' etc?

It's basically when the the clutch engages. Outside deazone is where 100% engagement is reached.
So if there's a 0 inside deadzone, there's immediate initial engagement of the clutch, whereas 70 would engage much later.
Outside deadzone of 30, would be very short travel where 100 will be longer travel.

Mascot

That's a great help mate, thanks. I can't find a good breakdown of all the various settings though, what they all actually do. Has anyone come across a link anywhere?

It's basically when the the clutch engages. Outside deazone is where 100% engagement is reached.
So if there's a 0 inside deadzone, there's immediate initial engagement of the clutch, whereas 70 would engage much later.
Outside deadzone of 30, would be very short travel where 100 will be longer travel.

saladine1

That's a great help mate, thanks. I can't find a good breakdown of all the various settings though, what they all actually do. Has anyone come across a link anywhere?

Sorry, I don't have a link, but what I've described applies to all the settings.

STEERING AXIS DEADZONE INSIDE.. when do you want the wheel to start moving?(have an affect on steering in the game).
0 would mean straight away,as there is no deadzone in the steering input, where 70 would require you to turn the wheel 70% of full lock before you see any movement happen in game.

STEERING AXIS DEADZONE OUTSIDE:...when do you want full lock applied?
0 would mean full lock is reached in an instant lol (very quick steering input), whereas 100 would mean full lock is reached at 100% turn of the wheel(steering input slower, realistic 1:1)

ACCELERATION AXIS DEADZONE INSIDE...when do you want the accelerator to engage when you step on the gas?
0 means straight straight away(as soon as you touch the pedal), 70 would mean at 70% of full pedal travel.

ACCELERATION AXIS DEADZONE OUTSIDE....when do you want full acceleration to be reached?
0 would mean full acceleration reached in an instant (as soon as you touch the pedal), 70 would mean at 70% of full pedal travel.

Same thing goes for other inputs.

Just in case anyone hasn't tried it yet, the Porsche 959 converted to RWD is AWESOME as an A class car. It handles incredibly well, albeit with some understeer, but it is crazy fast. Been having a blast kicking ass in that thing.

saladine1

Surely this "manufacturers don't allow proper damage" argument just doesn't fly anymore.
I'd be more than happy if we got the roll overs and damage of SHIFT 2....more than happy..

That video is awesome though.

Mascot

Surely this "manufacturers don't allow proper damage" argument just doesn't fly anymore.
I'd be more than happy if we got the roll overs and damage of SHIFT 2....more than happy..

That video is awesome though.

We can maybe start realistically expecting upgrades like this with the Nextbox rumoured to have around six times the grunt of the 360. Hopefully DG will let his designers run wild with FM5.

Xanadu

Banned
We can maybe start realistically expecting upgrades like this with the Nextbox rumoured to have around six times the grunt of the 360. Hopefully DG will let his designers run wild with FM5.

will prob use all the power to perfectly model jeremy clarksons wrinkled face, seriously i bet damage and hardly improves, its not what sells to the kids

saladine1

will prob use all the power to perfectly model jeremy clarksons wrinkled face, seriously i bet damage and hardly improves, its not what sells to the kids

Nah, I think Turn 10 are happy with what they've achieved this gen with regards to "turning car lovers into gamers and gamers into car lovers".
I think they've made their point, are somewhat satisfied with the outcome and are now concentrating on delivering a racing masterpiece.
There's a point you reach when aiming for something. That point doesn't need to be absolutely hammered in order to achieve your expectations. You be content, you pat yourself on the back and move onto bigger and better things.

In Dan we trust.

quKia.jpg

amar212

For race cars many things are possible, but for passengers cars.. not so much.

And there comes the problem of "consistency" - you can destroy racecars, but not road cars?

Will not work.

Manufacturers do not allow for the proper damage on the passenger vehicles. Some do, but some don't. Consistency.

Especially in games with many, many, many manufacturers.

If I was manufacturer (or working in marketing department of one), I would not want to see my passenger vehicle obliterated at the fence. Use it in the game, you can scratch it, maybe some small dents, but any more *visual* damage - no way.

So, problem is complex.

Mascot

For race cars many things are possible, but for passengers cars.. not so much.

And there comes the problem of "consistency" - you can destroy racecars, but not road cars?

Will not work.

Manufacturers do not allow for the proper damage on the passenger vehicles. Some do, but some don't. Consistency.

Especially in games with many, many, many manufacturers.

If I was manufacturer (or working in marketing department of one), I would not want to see my passenger vehicle obliterated at the fence. Use it in the game, you can scratch it, maybe some small dents, but any more *visual* damage - no way.

So, problem is complex.

All the more reason for FM5 to concentrate on bring a purely balls-out motor racing experience, and stick the mundane family hatchbacks in a separate game.

G Rom

Yeah you can already see some differences between manufacturers in damages. The Ferrari can't deform and their bumpers almost never fall. On the other hand, the Mercs deform a lot and fall into pieces for example.
The CryEngine video is impressive though. Even if we don't get as much deformation, I'd love to see the parts bend like in the video. RSC2 in 2004 was doing it and it looked great. As it is in FM4, all bumpers are made of an indestructible and impossible to deform material.

I heard from a "reliable" source he puts in the Konami code before he takes pictures.

Only works on green discs though. :D
Thanks for all the comments.

Is there a glitch with the upgrades on the Porsche 962c? When I race in the new Porsche event, it says M Rossi has his version upgraded to R1996 but the closest I can get is R1937. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to FM4's magical upgrades for AIs. I talked about this a while back when I noticed a 458 Challenge reaching an impossible PI in a Ferrari event.

Jamesways

All the more reason for FM5 to concentrate on bring a purely balls-out motor racing experience, and stick the mundane family hatchbacks in a separate game.

It's been my experience on fc that not many people even like the R Class cars. They take spaces away from people's Pacers and Ford Tempos.

The demand for novelty cars, muscle cars, hatchbacks, and 80s shitboxes seem pretty high.
Every DLC pack people complain about the R Class additions.

I think a lot of people would love it if FM5 further removed itself from actual motorsports. And that makes me sad.

Xanadu

Banned
It's been my experience on fc that not many people even like the R Class cars. They take spaces away from people's Pacers and Ford Tempos.

The demand for novelty cars, muscle cars, hatchbacks, and 80s shitboxes seem pretty high.

I think a lot of people would love it if FM5 further removed itself from actual motorsports. And that makes me sad.

i still think forza 1 was the best and most motorsport focused forza game, it had the perfect mix of motorsport and customization. and even though i think 4 was an improvement over 3, the whole top gear thing has gone too far, instead of bringing things that were taken out after the first game such as night racing they make top gear football..whatever sells i guess

saladine1

I'm in the category of production cars over race cars. But that doesn't mean I don't want the race cars to vanish...not one bit. FM as it stands now has a varied and very acceptable ratio of production to race cars. I should think and hope it stays that way for FM5.

I just love taking an economy box and turning it into a fire-breathing monster. I love upgrading, customizing and tuning my 70's boats because it's what I do in real life.
As we know, FM is so much more than just racing. It's about car passion, it's about photography, it's about painting, it's about anything you want it to be and that's the genius of the game. Take away those options and features and you're left with a run of the mill experience.
Having said that though, I do believe that the actual racing experience needs a massive overhaul. All other things are pretty much nailed down and don't really need any major time for enhancing and fixing. It is time to take the motorsport aspect of the game by the scruff of the neck and shake the shit out of it.

Mascot

I do have concerns about the direction the franchise is heading in.
The guff needs stripping away so that the basics can be honed to perfection.
Fewer cars would help.

I was gonna say Forza is in danger of totally losing focus, but I'm not even sure what Dan's focus is any more.

It's sad in a way, the core elements are there but there seems to be no plans to take a risk and create a real motorsports game, Forza is still a GT clone at heart.

Shaneus

It's sad in a way, the core elements are there but there seems to be no plans to take a risk and create a real motorsports game, Forza is still a GT clone at heart.
How is it still a GT clone? May have been that in the beginning but it's deviated from that path far enough to be considerably different.

And you're bringing up GT in here? There's a whole other thread for that.

I want it to be race focused, but the shitty little off-the-wall cars have a big place: the majority of track racing around the world is done with race prepped shitty little cars!

For events that aren't ostensibly track day events for street cars, the magic AI cars should all be race prepped as part of their magical upgrades.

Xanadu

Banned

i actually think its moved away from GT and become more mainstream, i wish it was a little bit more like GT, like forza 1

I want it to be race focused, but the shitty little off-the-wall cars have a big place: the majority of track racing around the world is done with race prepped shitty little cars!

For events that aren't ostensibly track day events for street cars, the magic AI cars should all be race prepped as part of their magical upgrades.

yes but when they add hummers and jeeps is when it gets stupid

How is it still a GT clone? May have been that in the beginning but it's deviated from that path far enough to be considerably different.

And you're bringing up GT in here? There's a whole other thread for that.

Outside of the actual racing the games differ, Forza does the community and fluff like no other but the no rules, no teams, no points career mode is 1990's GT.

I'm playing F1 2011's career in parallel to Forza's and feel something along those lines would be so much fresher.

If licensing is a problem, start with a blank car, do well, gain sponsors and slap the logos over your ride for profit. It's possible to keep within the relm of fantasy and have a fleshed out career mode.

Sega tacked career modes on to Super Hang On and Monaco GP's that are far better than than what we getting 20 years later.

Top Bottom