• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BADNED, if you can answer?

Does Pirelli tyre data cover all tyres in the game?
I mean, I can understand upgraded(street,sport,race,drag) tyres getting the Pirelli treatment but how about the stock,classic,retro,production..etc cars that aren't or didn't use Pirelli tyres?
In the little Pirelli x Forza video they put out on the Turn10 YouTube a while back, they already said they used Pirelli data for as many cars and tires in their database, but they obviously didn't have all the data in the world (for reasons you've given) so T10 still had to do their own work for some models. They just benefited from having Pirelli's large database to work with as a starting point.

saladine1

In the little Pirelli x Forza video they put out on the Turn10 YouTube a while back, they already said they used Pirelli data for as many cars and tires in their database, but they obviously didn't have all the data in the world (for reasons you've given) so T10 still had to do their own work for some models. They just benefited from having Pirelli's large database to work with as a starting point.

I just re watched that video but I didn't hear or see anything mentioned in your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDKDWae-7UU

That's the video right?

They said they threw out ALL old data and just used Pirelli's..

DAVBAT

Neo Member
Finally can post here...here's some of my paints...

I have a little comp set right now racing these two head to head. Check it out in fm.net TM if interested :]

Nice pics DAVBAT. Welcome to Gaf.

I've given up on a new track, so when do you guys recon we'll get the next wave of Horizon info? I'm struggling to think at any specific event that it may be shown.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nice pics DAVBAT. Welcome to Gaf.

I've given up on a new track, so when do you guys recon we'll get the next wave of Horizon info? I'm struggling to think at any specific event that it may be shown.

badned mentioned next month.

After last night I have to say. There is no doubt in my mind that up until now Foraz 4 is the best racing game ever made.

I don't want to trash another series, but my god how the mighty have fallen this gen. Its a shock to me.

DAVBAT

Neo Member
Thanks for the warm welcome..glad to be part of neogaf :]

H3rtz whats up man..where you been havent seen from you in a while?

saladine1

After last night I have to say. There is no doubt in my mind that up until now Foraz 4 is the best racing game ever made.

I don't want to trash another series, but my god how the mighty have fallen this gen. Its a shock to me.

Turn 10 and the Forza series has definitely come a long way, that's for sure.

After recently playing classic GT and SHIFT 2, the urge for Forza to feature "Works Conversions" or "Racing Modifications" has grown exponentially.
Anyone else want to see something like that in FM5?

Mascot

Anyone else want to see something like that in FM5?
Damn straight.
If the Beardlings are doing their jobs properly then Turn 10 shouldn't be short of new ideas for Forza 5. We've been designing the game for them over the past few years, and they'll soon have the hardware necessary to realise our dreams.

If FM5 is just FM4 with a few new tracks and slightly flashier graphics then I'll be severely disappointed. It's time for Dan to let the designers off the leash and let their imaginations run wild.

saladine1

Damn straight.
If the Beardlings are doing their jobs properly then Turn 10 shouldn't be short of new ideas for Forza 5. We've been designing the game for them over the past few years, and they'll soon have the hardware necessary to realise our dreams.

If FM5 is just FM4 with a few new tracks and slightly flashier graphics then I'll be severely disappointed. It's time for Dan to let the designers off the leash and let their imaginations run wild.

Forza Horizon imo, has brought nothing but good news. Firstly, because i'm actually looking forward to it and secondly, it should free up Turn 10 to focus even more on making FM5 an experience that we all want.
That's the logical way of looking at it anyway. Who knows what Dan is thinking though right?
He could surprise us all and give us FM5: AutoVista Edition or something..

Shaneus

got on to try the new viper, but my game doesn't see it, I've redownloaded it several times and no dice, any ideas
Ahahaha, the same thing happened to me. I thought I was the only one :(

PS. Awesome liveries DAVBAT. Are they based on anything IRL or completely original? Not that it matters, they still look choice.

Mine actually didn't download properly the first few times I tried it. Once it showed up in AutoVista, I thought to try under SRT and Viper after it wasn't in Dodge.

DAVBAT

Neo Member
I really wish FH didnt give points for crashing into things...one thing is for power sliding or evading traffic but crashing? Yea I'll prob still get it but find that annoying T10. Stop enabling crappy drivers...make the world a better place!

PS. Awesome liveries DAVBAT. Are they based on anything IRL or completely original? Not that it matters, they still look choice.

thanks! completely real life...not creative enough to make custom paints ;P

I signed up last month but took a good while to get activated...you guys missed out on the last battle I set up

btw photoguy is jose2g not me I suck at photos

7005195220_1067eb4215_z.jpg

winners got this guy

Here's the current one. < I'd post the new prize cars but they are still WIP.

G Rom

It was the first time it happened to you ? You're lucky, I can't stand the way those thing are handled in FM, it's so unrealistic. Cars have terrible reactions to rumble stripes most of the time in FM unfortunately, bouncing all over the place.

Had to give it a spin after seeing that video (click for Big Shot) :

Mascot

That MOMO gear knob I posted an image of a few days ago never turned up (OOS, apparently) so I ended up ordering an alloy/carbon Ripspeed one (not bad for a fiver thanks to a private seller on eBay). The added weight and 'solidity' just feels incredible. If you've got a set of Fanatec Porsche shifters then I'd definitely recommend a similar upgrade. It's a doddle to do and transforms the lightweight hollow feel of the standard knob into something a lot more realistic.

psmod4.jpg

psmod2.jpg

saladine1

The helmet cam video of Le Mans by night posted in the WIR is just amazing !
Dat V8 sound !
I want night racing in FM5

BTW, nice liveries DAVBAT and welcome to ForzaGAF.

Looks like SHIFT 2 :)

That MOMO gear knob I posted an image of a few days ago never turned up (OOS, apparently) so I ended up ordering an alloy/carbon Ripspeed one (not bad for a fiver thanks to a private seller on eBay). The added weight and 'solidity' just feels incredible. If you've got a set of Fanatec Porsche shifters then I'd definitely recommend a similar upgrade. It's a doddle to do and transforms the lightweight hollow feel of the standard knob into something a lot more realistic.

psmod4.jpg

psmod2.jpg

Does the gear stick 'outweigh' the internal mechanisms?

BADNED, do you know why Turn 10 doesn't feature sidewall markings on their tyres?

I absolutely love the way GT does it. It looks so real when in motion. It adds a certain depth to the car if you know what I mean..

Mascot

Does the gear stick 'outweigh' the internal mechanisms?

If you mean is the weight of the knob too much for the mechanism (eg, dropping into a gear by itself instead of staying in neutral), then no, not at all. That one I fitted is really quite heavy and there is NO danger whatsoever of that happening.

Another definite benefit of the mod is the reduction in sound. I reckon the OEM hollow plastic knob acts like an echo chamber (like the base does, hence why some people pack the moulded internal ports with cotton wool to reduce it) whereas the more solid knob I fitted definitely deadens it somewhat. It's possibly one of the reasons Fanatec moved over to using a solid alloy knob on the newer CCS shifters.

Thinking of trying it mate? It gets my seal of approval and I am One Critical Fucker.

It was the first time it happened to you ? You're lucky, I can't stand the way those thing are handled in FM, it's so unrealistic. Cars have terrible reactions to rumble stripes most of the time in FM unfortunately, bouncing all over the place.

Had to give it a spin after seeing that video (click for Big Shot) :

I'm with you, the maple valley ones are bad, but those ones just plain suck!

Great shot GRom, love how the triangle/arrows on the side of the car look like they are part of that tyre wall!
Im def saving that one!

saladine1

If you mean is the weight of the knob too much for the mechanism (eg, dropping into a gear by itself instead of staying in neutral), then no, not at all. That one I fitted is really quite heavy and there is NO danger whatsoever of that happening.

Another definite benefit of the mod is the reduction in sound. I reckon the OEM hollow plastic knob acts like an echo chamber (like the base does, hence why some people pack the moulded internal ports with cotton wool to reduce it) whereas the more solid knob I fitted definitely deadens it somewhat. It's possibly one of the reasons Fanatec moved over to using a solid alloy knob on the newer CCS shifters.

Thinking of trying it mate? It gets my seal of approval and I am One Critical Fucker.

I want to try something because it seems the CS shifter isn't coming..

Pull the bearing casing out for a quick and dirty mod (that's easily reversible) all you need is a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

The only downside is going from 3rd to 4th is a little slack but if you've ever used a Logitech shifter it won't feel too weird.

Mascot

Pull the bearing casing out for a quick and dirty mod (that's easily reversible) all you need is a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

The only downside is going from 3rd to 4th is a little slack but if you've ever used a Logitech shifter it won't feel too weird.

I know you are a fan of modding your kit, DC - any plans to change the shifter knob?
It's totally reversible if you want to change back for any reason.

Mascot

Yeah mate I think that's going to be next, I was just waiting on your impressions!

I'm no Mike Yarwood, but I do a mean Frank Spencer after a couple of beers.
;)

Go for it - you'll have a lot of fun. Hit me up for any tips.
A couple of important ones:
1. A blunt chisel (not a screwdriver) is best for getting the silver cap off without damaging it. Insert carefully around the edge horizontally and twist gently.
2. The 10mm bolt is bespoke (the bottom of it engages into the white h-pattern moulding), so don't lose it, and (when you remove the OEM knob) it's possible to over-tighten so the shifter won't move. Too loose and it won't engage in the h-gate.

Edit: apologies everyone for straying seriously off-topic..!

psmod4.jpg

psmod2.jpg

I would love to do this. Any link to a site that has the step by step.

DasRaven

badned mentioned next month.

A thought just popped into my head while browsing my car videos.

If T10 secured the rights to the Ascari KZ1R, they made contact with Ascari who also maintain the famous Race Resort in Spain.
That would be an excellent coup and a perfect gift to those who want more ribbons.

1. I don't believe it has been in any other games before
2. It includes replications of many famous race corners including Brands Hatch, Spa, and Bathurst.
3. It is in an amazing location that lends itself to photography.
4. The size of the complex lends itself to a huge number of potential variations.
ascari_track.jpg

This immediately shoots to the top of my most wanted list for DLC or FM5.

If you want action shots, check out Clarkson's Duel & Supercar Showdown DVDs or the Top Gear comparison of the M3/B7RS4/C63. All were filmed there.

The Stig

I remember that film on Top Gear. The track looked very interesting. Especially when you consider it's purpose is to recreate many famous corners from around the world.

I wonder if mr.ascari (lol) would sell the rights to turn 10 for cheaper than it would cost for spahurst for example? Or would it be super expensive? (considering ascari cars are super expensive)

I think Mascot is your link..

Ok, holy damn at the sound of the Toyota Altezza in modified form!
Sounds like a million steroid injected, mutant killer wasps having rough sex..

The reason I was asking for a link is due to the fact my dyslexia kicks in like a mother fucker when precise directions are written. Found a YouTube video where i couldn't understand what the guy was saying but i was able to see what he did, and i just did it and.......

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Its dead silent now. I mean for 4 min of work it has produced substantial results. I mean the hardest thing was trying to remember where i left my thin Phillips head screwdriver. No more click clack, and the shifts are so much smother. Only negative is from 3rd to forth there is almost no resistance but it's no big dea.

So why the hell was that ball bearing in there, what purpose did it serve other than annoying the hell out of everyone?

Now i just have to find a video on how to pop off the knob then I'm off to AutoZone for a new knob.

Mascot

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Its dead silent now. I mean for 4 min of work it has produced substantial results. I mean the hardest thing was trying to remember where i left my thin Phillips head screwdriver. No more click clack, and the shifts are so much smother. Only negative is from 3rd to forth there is almost no resistance but it's no big dea.

So why the hell was that ball bearing in there, what purpose did it serve other than annoying the hell out of everyone?

Another way is to mod the bearing unit so that it sits lower in the moulded housing by sanding down the lip of the housing, or open the bearing housing, remove the spring and cut one coil off it, then replace. Both methods effectively reduce the force that the ballbearing exerts on the shifter casing, which is where the loud 'clicks' come from. Using these methods maintain some of the resistance which helps with haptic feedback when shifting, but help to reduce the noise.

Now i just have to find a video on how to pop off the knob then I'm off to AutoZone for a new knob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJ6O6xnPZQ

This dude mumbles like a motherfucker and seems to live in a dungeon, but if you look carefully he'll show you what's involved.

As I said previously, a blunt chisel is better than a flat-head screwdriver for getting the silver cap off the top.

Have fun!

Another way is to mod the bearing unit so that it sits lower in the moulded housing by sanding down the lip of the housing, or open the bearing housing, remove the spring and cut one coil off it, then replace. Both methods effectively reduce the force that the ballbearing exerts on the shifter casing, which is where the loud 'clicks' come from. Using these methods maintain some of the resistance which helps with haptic feedback when shifting, but help to reduce the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJ6O6xnPZQ

This dude mumbles like a motherfucker and seems to live in a dungeon, but if you look carefully he'll show you what's involved.

As I said previously, a blunt chisel is better than a flat-head screwdriver for getting the silver cap off the top.

Have fun!

Thanks man. I already found another one also a mumbler( is the fanatec mod community full of mush mouth mumblers?) its all done and I am about to go out into the heat and go to pick up a new knob.

Top Bottom