• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

saladine1

Can someone please test the Ford Country Squire for missing sound in cockpit view lol?
I'm at a mates house and for some reason, the idle is completely missing. Also from cockpit, using the analogue stick to look around yields no sound whatsoever..

shinnn

Do you guys use any mod on shifter to make it silent? I did the "credit card" mod, but I used a thinner one, so it got destroyed lol.

edit: yeah no iddle sound here on cockpit view

Mascot

Or relax the spring tension on the ballbearing slightly. Swap the spring out for a lighter one, or cut a coil or two off the existing one and extend it slightly.
The loud clicks are caused by the spring-loaded ballbearing snapping against the bearing surface of the shifter. Reducing the tension means softer contact, leading to quieter shifts. A degree of haptic feedback is still maintained though, which is something I think you lose when the bearing is completely removed.
Some people use hockey tape on the bearing surface, whatever the fuck that stuff is.

And it's done, that was rather fast lol So yeah, my crappy design is on my Storefront, maybe someone will have a crappy taste and will actually like it :D

Cheers, HD

7476300346_65ea5eedd3_z.jpg

7476300424_94a218f57a_z.jpg

7476300388_370190b5b3_z.jpg

7476300266_3d14c80ec7_z.jpg

And it's done, that was rather fast lol So yeah, my crappy design is on my Storefront, maybe someone will have a crappy taste and will actually like it :D

Cheers, HD

NICE MAN! You should great some wild livery for the Yellowbird. Something that shows it heritage as a psychotically quick car that wants to kill you at every turn.

Cheers, HD

How can you say that's crappy!?

You throw these things together like its no effort at all! Simply amazing.

One thing I've noticed though, you seem to be very find of yellow....hmmmm.... Get some creativity/imagination for gods sake! :p

shinnn

Or relax the spring tension on the ballbearing slightly. Swap the spring out for a lighter one, or cut a coil or two off the existing one and extend it slightly.
The loud clicks are caused by the spring-loaded ballbearing snapping against the bearing surface of the shifter. Reducing the tension means softer contact, leading to quieter shifts. A degree of haptic feedback is still maintained though, which is something I think you lose when the bearing is completely removed.
Some people use hockey tape on the bearing surface, whatever the fuck that stuff is.

Oh thanks. I swapped the spring with one from a pen (lol). Still some click noise but it is 10x better now.

Mascot

Oh thanks. I swapped the spring with one from a pen (lol). Still some click noise but it is 10x better now.
Excellent! Glad you like it. Replacing the hollow plastic shift knob with a metal one also helps to deaden the sound.

Edit: nice livery work (as always) HD..!

Iknos

Another way is to mod the bearing unit so that it sits lower in the moulded housing by sanding down the lip of the housing, or open the bearing housing, remove the spring and cut one coil off it, then replace. Both methods effectively reduce the force that the ballbearing exerts on the shifter casing, which is where the loud 'clicks' come from. Using these methods maintain some of the resistance which helps with haptic feedback when shifting, but help to reduce the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJ6O6xnPZQ

This dude mumbles like a motherfucker and seems to live in a dungeon, but if you look carefully he'll show you what's involved.

As I said previously, a blunt chisel is better than a flat-head screwdriver for getting the silver cap off the top.

Have fun!

THANK YOU

Since people asked for it I'll make it available for everyone ;) It's up on the storefront now.

7477177924_b3985614f0_z.jpg

7477177882_0e57ee72a7_z.jpg

7477177956_f5587017ff_z.jpg

I don't know if people drive this thing but if they do I have old unused paint for it and can put it on the storefront if anyone wants it.

7477329232_8b72cb2228_z.jpg

7477329302_2c7e739509_z.jpg

7477329434_3f8f1aefe4_z.jpg

7477329358_4eaac26555_z.jpg

Mascot

I was looking at that one in your photos just now while bagging the GT3 Green Up paint, Hertz. I'll gladly have it if you stick it on your storefront.
Cheers!

well tried doing my own bmw gtr livery, lacking sponsors since I just wanted a base first, fairly happy :)
i42Vfy78dS1lA.png

i9xgaAeLEUnoX.png

simple yet striking!

Awesome Mr Nightman, great livery and love that scheme, let me know if you need some sponsor decals, if they're not ones Hertz has already gifted to me, I'll shoot them your way.

Since people asked for it I'll make it available for everyone ;) It's up on the storefront now.

7477177924_b3985614f0_z.jpg

7477329358_4eaac26555_z.jpg

Bloody hell HD, that Porsche livery is amazing, and I never drive the Panoz, but this livery will at least give me an excuse to!

saladine1

OK, it seems the missing sound in the Ford Squire is a universal thing and not limited to my mate's console.
I'm sure they were there before. Perhaps a post patch problem?

Found a sweet N.Ring tune and a great paint on the storefront. I usually just skip right past the energy drink liveries, but this one is immaculate - I'll 'big-up' the creators if I remember to.

There are metallic segments of the car that shine through under light, and it looks great in contrast to the dull and dreary N.Ring backdrop.

Here are some shots I took.

7477738954_ccb5108a95_c.jpg

7477738684_3ca627b76f_c.jpg

7477738356_bfa28e343f_c.jpg

7477738144_449946b775_c.jpg

And my settings, if anyone cares :)
7477807946_6c210379e6_c.jpg

G Rom

Amazing liveries H3rTz ! :)

Anybody knows if Turn 10 are still giving codes away for the DLC somewhere ? I'm leaving tomorrow in the evening and I'll be far from my 360 in the coming weeks/months. I wouldn't mind giving the cars of the pack a spin before leaving.

Amazing liveries H3rTz ! :)

Anybody knows if Turn 10 are still giving codes away for the DLC somewhere ? I'm leaving tomorrow in the evening and I'll be far from my 360 in the coming weeks/months. I wouldn't mind giving the cars of the pack a spin before leaving.

Thanks G Rom :)

I don't know about the codes mate, I was looking for it as well :)

Anyone picking up Test Drive: Ferrari Legends? Haven't heard much news on it, and its like $38 on amazon, I'm tempted but dont want to buy a dud.

Does it have SpaHurst?

Yes to Spa, no to Mt. Panorama. I suppose its omission could be down to it not featuring prominently in Ferrari lore? Other than that, the game includes many of the great tracks from previous SMS games, some with historical variants (yay for pre-Tilke Hockenheim) and, of course, Fiorano.

A purchase seems like a must on the strengths of the car and track lists, but after not being able to get Shift 1 & 2 to feel quite right despite hours of tweaking, I may wait until it hits the bargain bin if the feel is still close to those games. Speaking of which:

I'll tell you this afternoon

You managed to find a copy early? If so, I'm looking forward to what you think of it.

saladine1

If anyone hasn't tried it, take a pair of good headphones (I use Sennheiser),crank up the volume to max and just listen to the Autovista startup and rev sequences. I've heard them before when I first got the game in 5.1 open speaker form, but holy shit at the difference with the headphones. Obviously, they are recordings of real cars but my God they sound ridiculously good. The Ford GT in particular scared the shit out of me!

Probably the cleanest cut pieces of audio you will hear outside of being in the real thing..

Some great liveries in here, peeps!
Will br grabbing all of them when I get home today.

July DLC soon, can't wait to get my hands on the new cars!

SarBear

Playing this fucking Ferrari Legends game......i don't know what to think of it. If you rent/buy this game, PLEASE ADJUST THE CONTROL SETTINGS FIRST! Otherwise this will come off as a complete arcade experience. It seems some of the "strange" steering can be fixed via steering sensitivity, throttle sensitivity, clutch sensitivity, dead zones, and a couple more options. But holy hell.......it's going to take a good while to find the perfect zone.

Visuals are a mixed bag. The car models aren't exactly jaw dropping, but dem environments. Good lawd. Take it like this.....Mugello in Forza 4 looks like a fucking desert compared to the vital, vibrant, morning lit comparison in Ferrari Legends.

Edit: I take some of that back. The car models are TERRIBLE in game and some of these tracks are complete fucking trash. Please save your money for the PC version and hope to the Gods that a few physics mods take care of the controls. No matter what kind of adjustments I make it's just terrible. Will give it another day or so before Kmart gets this thing back with a rather lengthy excuse.

Playing this fucking Ferrari Legends game......i don't know what to think of it. If you rent/buy this game, PLEASE ADJUST THE CONTROL SETTINGS FIRST! Otherwise this will come off as a complete arcade experience. It seems some of the "strange" steering can be fixed via steering sensitivity, throttle sensitivity, clutch sensitivity, dead zones, and a couple more options. But holy hell.......it's going to take a good while to find the perfect zone.

Visuals are a mixed bag. The car models aren't exactly jaw dropping, but dem environments. Good lawd. Take it like this.....Mugello in Forza 4 looks like a fucking desert compared to the vital, vibrant, morning lit comparison in Ferrari Legends.

Edit: I take some of that back. The car models are TERRIBLE in game and some of these tracks are complete fucking trash. Please save your money for the PC version and hope to the Gods that a few physics mods take care of the controls. No matter what kind of adjustments I make it's just terrible. Will give it another day or so before Kmart gets this thing back with a rather lengthy excuse.

Oh my.

DD

Sooo, Need for Speed Shift again, with... another name?

Can't say I'm surprised. The disconnected feeling of the central-pivot handling really put me off Shift 1 and 2, despite the things they did well (cockpit view and track selection).

I'll definitely pick this used used, if I bother at all.

Slightly unrelated, but a pet peeve of mine is SMS's insistence on giving dog-'box gear whine to seemingly every fucking car with more than 400 horsepower. It's there in Shift 1/2, Project CARS, and from the videos I've seen, Ferrari Legends, too. Their gear whine is a great effect, mind you, and one that Forza would do well to emulate on stripped-out racers, but it sounds so out of place on street cars. Shit gets on my nerves.

The one afternoon I'm away from the damn PC for more than half-hour too haha.. Sucks.

Anyway, fingers crossed. Getting this one regardless.

Top Bottom