• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Hawk269

Title Update and What it does...From the official site...

Hi everyone. Today we issued our first title update for Forza Motorsport 4. This update includes a number of fixes and back-end improvements we’ve made to the game. Here’s a partial list of what this update includes:

· Various track visual upgrades

· Various UI improvements

· Fixed Rivals Track Day exploit where users can gain advantage by forcibly pitting AI cars

· Fixed Drag leaderboard exploit that gave players time advantage by loading tuning file (To coincide with this fix, we will be wiping the drag leaderboards in the near future)

· Fixed issue where importing a Forza 3 profile does not award credits to Xbox LIVE Silver members

· Fixed issue where some livery editor layers were appearing as corrupted when importing from Forza 3

We continue to monitor for gameplay issues, and are investigating a number of these--including a few related to the 900-degree wheel--for a future title update. Please let us know if you run into any problems here on the forums or by e-mailing us at forzafb@microsoft.com. Thanks for playing and we’ll see you online!

Hawk269 said:
Title Update and What it does...From the official site...

Hi everyone. Today we issued our first title update for Forza Motorsport 4. This update includes a number of fixes and back-end improvements we’ve made to the game. Here’s a partial list of what this update includes:

· Various track visual upgrades

· Various UI improvements

· Fixed Rivals Track Day exploit where users can gain advantage by forcibly pitting AI cars

· Fixed Drag leaderboard exploit that gave players time advantage by loading tuning file (To coincide with this fix, we will be wiping the drag leaderboards in the near future)

· Fixed issue where importing a Forza 3 profile does not award credits to Xbox LIVE Silver members

· Fixed issue where some livery editor layers were appearing as corrupted when importing from Forza 3

We continue to monitor for gameplay issues, and are investigating a number of these--including a few related to the 900-degree wheel--for a future title update. Please let us know if you run into any problems here on the forums or by e-mailing us at forzafb@microsoft.com. Thanks for playing and we’ll see you online!
No Speed Wheel fix? Fuck it, I'm returning it.

pilonv1

How are people finding the head tracking? I find that the "you must centre yourself" warning comes up way too often with the default calibration. I can see I'm in the square and I'm in a brightly lit room. It just seems to lose my head too often to be used regularly.

Muerte_X

Mr.Green said:
Is there any benefit besides the credits boost and immersion to turn off assists?

Manual over automatic is obvious, but is adding the clutch worth it? Does it actually let you change gears faster?

What about ABS, TCS and whatnot?

I guess what I'm asking is what are the best difficulty settings to compete seriously in Rivals mode. :) Do wheel users stand a chance against gamepad users? The few replays I watched from the top dogs in the leaderboards were all pad users.

Yeah, I agree with you that there should be a separate thread for the car club stuff. I didn't even try because there's way too many people and I don't post enough on here for anyone to even notice me anyway, lol. Having to read all the car club stuff can be annoying. I think it would be easier for them organize races as well.

Turning off TCS, stability control, ABS, makes you faster than with them on. Only once you become skilled enough, if you never learn that the throttle isn't an on/off switch, then TCS off will be a nightmare for you. Same with ABS, I can pulse the brakes way faster than the game does and stop quicker, but I lock up the brakes alot because I forget to do it.

With the controller, using the clutch makes for much faster shifts, but if you screw it up, it really makes them slower, plus can cause damage to the transmission if you have sim damage on. It's a little too much to pulse the brakes, and then clutch to downshift while going into a corner for me with a controller though. For drag racing, I always use it, even a tenth of a second is a lot in a 1/4 mile and anyt time you shave off will mean several places on the leaderboard.

op_ivy said:
if you, or anyother gaffers that arent in the gaf club now, want feel free to join my little club, Rally Club Positano, or search my GT: LoopOfHenle
6240900315_c9c4676116_m.jpg
(quick mockup of a livery i plan to make)

its a small club with no aspirations of being great - just something to get together and play around with until there is more than enough room in the gaf club.

Will be joining soon!

Doodis

pilonv1 said:
How are people finding the head tracking? I find that the "you must centre yourself" warning comes up way too often with the default calibration. I can see I'm in the square and I'm in a brightly lit room. It just seems to lose my head too often to be used regularly.
Headtracking disappointingly doesn't work for me. My Kinect is too far away from my couch (but still within Kinect's suggested 8-12 feet) to read me.

Megasoum

Banned
All right so I've been playing some more tonight and I still can't find proper control settings. The game is playable but I'm never 100% confortable when I drive (especially compared to FM3).

I'm using a Fanatec PWTS with the suggested setting found on the Fanatec blog.

Sens: 900
FF/Shock: 100
Drift: 3
Everything else to 0

Like I said It's playable but I always get a ton of oversteer the moment I lift the gaz or press the brake and get a ton of speed sensitivity. For example I was racing on Sunset Peninsula and if I was getting near the first corner (that's the corner after the oval section) my Abarth 500 would spin around simply by turning the steering 4-5 degrees (I'm in fifth at that point). I remember being able to take that turn almost flat out in FM3.

Guys, I am happy (yet somewhat reluctantly) to be removed from GAFclub if someone more deserved needs a spot.

I know for sure there may be some guys that have quite a lot to contribute to the club, and being an Aussie, it will be hard to coordinate race times etc with you Yanks.

I reckon I would love to share some of your rides and have access to some exclusive stuff, but it's not fair on a more hardcore member that is missing out.

I love the idea of facing some of you guys in rivals mode, but that's about all I would get out of it.

So go ahead, remove my name for a member truly deserved of the spot.

Shaneus

Mascot said:
That place is a clusterfuck even when it's working. Too many holier-than-thou types spouting 'expert' opinions on everything that moves.
Go to the "vs" thread. Perhaps it's like our own little FM.net microcosm
lol.gif

AEREC

Any impressions on the New Wireless Wheel for the 360? Im not a hardcore racing game fan but I do enjoy racers, just not enough to spend over $100 in a wheel.

Basically I just want to know if performance of it is better than a controller?

Xanadu

Banned
the engine sounds are really good for the most part but i get the feeling they exaggerate them too much. i bought the xj220 and without any mods the car sounds like a LM car. while irl the xj220 has a pretty dull engine noise, forza 3s was accurate apart from the BOV

SarBear

Shortt Sirket said:
Man, I am having TOO much fun with this Rivals Mode thing. I have this compulsion to try to be in the top 3 of all the GAF Leaderboards.

Seriously, I need to take a break or something.

Yo! I heard you like Lamborghini! So I put a Lambo inside your Lambo so you can drive while you drive!

Enjoy, my friend. Perhaps the only Lambo I would EVER deem worthy.

eek5

AEREC said:
Any impressions on the New Wireless Wheel for the 360? Im not a hardcore racing game fan but I do enjoy racers, just not enough to spend over $100 in a wheel.

A bunch of people here have it and beat their controller times. Impressions are generally pretty positive.

The biggest downside is the controller has no LB/RB which is an issue with menus in Forza and can become an issue in other racing games in the future.

SarBear said:
Yo! I heard you like Lamborghini! So I put a Lambo inside your Lambo so you can drive while you drive!

Enjoy, my friend. Perhaps the only Lambo I would EVER deem worthy.

Damn dude! That was my favorite sounding car in F3. I would just drive it around listening to the piercing exhaust note. I am going to figure out an equally amazing car to send you soon.

Edit: Jesus man! How are you level 40 already?

Shaneus said:
Um, yeah. What?
Short version: Cant use half of the menus without switching to a regular controller and if you do you have to reset the game completely to get the wheel to work correctly again. Also, my B button needs significant force to respond (not a known issue).

eek5

Quote said:
Short version: Cant use half of the menus without switching to a regular controller and if you do you have to reset the game completely to get the wheel to work correctly again. Also, my B button needs significant force to respond (not a known issue).
It really blows my mind that they put in that much work into making a decent controller then do something boneheaded like leaving essential buttons off of it.

Hawk269

Quote said:

Dude, I switch from controller to speed wheel with no issues that you are referring too and my "B" button is fine. Perhaps you wheel is a little debunk or something, but i have had zero issues. Yes, the lack of RB/LB was a fucking poor decision, but T10 know they were making the speed wheel, they could have had something, like turn the wheel left/right to move the tabs.

Mr.Green

AEREC said:

This thing shouldn't work that well! Seriously, I'm floored by how good it feels. It's much better than the pad as far as I'm concerned. They kinda forgot to put the shoulder buttons on though, so you'll be screwed in some of the menus. If I was a betting person, I'd bet they'll update the game to work without those sooner than later.

I still prefer my Fanatec, though. :)

Hawk269 said:
Dude, I switch from controller to speed wheel with no issues that you are referring too and my "B" button is fine. Perhaps you wheel is a little debunk or something, but i have had zero issues. Yes, the lack of RB/LB was a fucking poor decision, but T10 know they were making the speed wheel, they could have had something, like turn the wheel left/right to move the tabs.
The lack of communication between T10 and MS for their first party "wheel" is mind boggling. Plenty of others are having the issue. Once you reconnect the Speed Wheel, the game thinks you attached a real steering wheel controller which does not have nearly the same calibration let alone button placement. It's enough to make me to return the controller so you have to restart the game to get it recognize correctly. About the B button, like I said, not a known issue. I was going to exchange it but at this rate I'm going to wait for them to patch it to at least let the 2nd controller always control the menu system.

EDIT: And for the record I'm not trying to completely bash the controller. I think it's actually an amazing bridge between a controller and a real steering wheel setup. I really love the triggers, the extra amount of travel does wonders for brake control.

SarBear

Shortt Sirket said:
Damn dude! That was my favorite sounding car in F3. I would just drive it around listening to the piercing exhaust note. I am going to figure out an equally amazing car to send you soon.

Edit: Jesus man! How are you level 40 already?

My friend, don't even worry about it. You went out of your way to get me an extra Alfa code and I told ya I would repay you. :) That Lambo is just demonic, man! Grips like a mofo around Nurburgring, too.

I've been doing a touch of grinding with Ferrari's, so that's how i boosted my level so high. Between the 599 GTO, 430 Scuderia, and the 430GT I've been destroying the computer.

Perhaps it's time for you....to cross over to the Italian Stallion side. Bulls are chunky. @_@

Hawk269

Quote said:
The lack of communication between T10 and MS for their first party "wheel" is mind boggling. Plenty of others are having the issue. Once you reconnect the Speed Wheel, the game thinks you attached a real steering wheel controller which does not have nearly the same calibration let alone button placement. It's enough to make me to return the controller so you have to restart the game to get it recognize correctly. About the B button, like I said, not a known issue. I was going to exchange it but at this rate I'm going to wait for them to patch it to at least let the 2nd controller always control the menu system.

Hmm, I have not had that problem, but then again, I have not done a ton of switching around. Hopefully there is a fix for that issue. As far is the lb/rb, not sure what the fix can be other than allowing turning the wheel left/right to move the tabs. The Dpad is used to move within menus, LT for messages. Perhaps, holding down "RT", then left/right on DPad cold be something they do. I dont think the "RT" is used in the menu's at all, so it is a free button than can be used as a "hold down" then use left/right dpad.

guest1321

Quote said:

EDIT: And for the record I'm not trying to completely bash the controller. I think it's actually an amazing bridge between a controller and a real steering wheel setup. I really love the triggers, the extra amount of travel does wonders for brake control.
I too think it is frustrating that you have to turn off the xbox every time your controller turns off. That being said, how the hell did you get away from Forza for long enough that the controller turns off. I've run out of batteries before that has happened.

Shaneus

Quote said:
Yeah, I get your gripe. Even though I only gave it a quick go with the wheel, I went straight into the email thing via LT and the only way you can navigate left-right is with LB/RB. Surely they would've picked up on some of that stuff?

It'd also be a lot better if it detected you were using the speed wheel rather than picking the Forza Fanatec wheel as a layout. At least that way you could tell which buttons remapped where.
Edit:
Quote said:
Moar info
Ah, that explains it then. I did switch it on mid-game but maybe if I started with the wheel it would appear as such. I appreciate the tip but I agree, it shouldn't have to be done. Maybe that's been done to ensure compatibility with driving games that only used the old MS FF wheel?

Fox Mulder

So I unlocked the warthog, but is there no top gear narration for it? They released a video with Clarkson talking about it, but I don't see any top gear button.

Shaneus said:
Yeah, I get your gripe. Even though I only gave it a quick go with the wheel, I went straight into the email thing via LT and the only way you can navigate left-right is with LB/RB. Surely they would've picked up on some of that stuff?

It'd also be a lot better if it detected you were using the speed wheel rather than picking the Forza Fanatec wheel as a layout. At least that way you could tell which buttons remapped where.
That's where it gets crazy, there is a layout for the Speed Wheel and its fine until you try to reconnect it to the 360 after swapping it out to use a normal controller to get to those menus you normally can't.

Before disconnecting the Speed Wheel.

Reconnecting the Speed Wheel after disconnecting a normal controller.

guest1321 said:
I too think it is frustrating that you have to turn off the xbox every time your controller turns off. That being said, how the hell did you get away from Forza for long enough that the controller turns off. I've run out of batteries before that has happened.
I'm not letting the batteries die. You have to disconnect the wheel before connecting a normal controller or it won't let the normal controller navigate the menus. Then you have to disconnect the normal controller before reconnecting the Speed Wheel, but then its all kinds of fucked up till you restart the game. Sorry, it all sounds confusing because it IS CONFUSING and frustrating.

Here's a idea for T10. Put pressure on Microsoft to let us use our HID wheels and I can put all this nonsense to rest. If I could use my G27 and Play Seat i'd die happy. Just put support in Forza 4 for it for all I care!

EDIT: And let me remind you that you can't use your headset with the Speed Wheel. :>

DasRaven

bkfount said:
So I unlocked the warthog, but is there no top gear narration for it? They released a video with Clarkson talking about it, but I don't see any top gear button.

There's a similar narration by Halo's Cortana.

Circle T

Can someone please tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to do in "Car Bowling" events?? Am I supposed to go quickly, or go for more pins? Do they combo if I continue hitting them while the score is still counting on-screen? What is the difference between white and yellow pins?

I'm in season 3, and the challenge wants me to get 445k points, but I'll be damned if I can barely ever get more than 400k. Someone please enlighten me on how this mode works, because it doesn't seem to tell me shit in the game.

sneaky77

Circle T said:
Can someone please tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to do in "Car Bowling" events?? Am I supposed to go quickly, or go for more pins? Do they combo if I continue hitting them while the score is still counting on-screen? What is the difference between white and yellow pins?

I'm in season 3, and the challenge wants me to get 445k points, but I'll be damned if I can barely ever get more than 400k. Someone please enlighten me on how this mode works, because it doesn't seem to tell me shit in the game.

if you slow down too much you get less pts, gold pins are worth more.

guest1321

Quote said:
I'm not letting the batteries die. You have to disconnect the wheel before connecting a normal controller or it won't let the normal controller navigate the menus. Then you have to disconnect the normal controller before reconnecting the Speed Wheel, but then its all kinds of fucked up till you restart the game. Sorry, it all sounds confusing because it IS CONFUSING and frustrating.

Here's a idea for T10. Put pressure on Microsoft to let us use our HID wheels and I can put all this nonsense to rest. If I could use my G27 and Play Seat i'd die happy. Just put support in Forza 4 for it for all I care!
I understand because I have the speed wheel. I know it gets messed up, and I wasn't saying you were letting the batteries run out. I was jesting that you were letting Forza/your xbox sit for long enough that the controller was turning itself off...
I was saying that my batteries have died from not putting the controller down before I experienced that.

Fox Mulder

DasRaven said:
There's a similar narration by Halo's Cortana.
Yeah, but there's a video on youtube with top gear style narration that appears to not actually be in the game. Maybe it was too sarcastic about their fake vehicle or something.

Shaneus

Quote: I was seeing exactly the same as the second screen and figured there was no difference. I'd actually be more inclined to think it's the way the 360 sees the device that's telling Forza it's that particular wheel, but I agree that there should've been some kind of workaround for T10 to implement so it doesn't happen.

jedimike

Quote said:

I just hold down the guide button to bring up the "power" menu and select power down controller. I've never had the Speed Wheel get confused for an actual wheel and have never had to restart the game.

Try that and see if it works.

C-Jo

Gah, not only did I lose my level 50 save from FM3, but my 2 week old 360 is telling me that my pristine FM3 disc is unreadable. Fuck this stupid achievement.

Yoritomo

Raudi said:
That's mine :)

Been playing FM4 in Multiscreen the past couple of days and it's GLORIUS

Unfortunately something with the title update borked my game and I can't load ANY Designs from catalog save, so I'm afraid to do much else for fear of losing my save game now.

After creating a new game on MU it's still hanging up when "saving content" when I try to load a simple saved design with 1 shape??? ARRGGHHHH

Hrmm, I haven't booted up into triple screen since the title update. Do I need to somehow copy the update to the other systems as well? They're using offline gamertags.

Also do you get any issues with the left screen on heat 2 during races on infineon. Also how do I make sure I can see all the car models on the secondary screens. I thought I had copied over all the dlc and files but the DLC cars are still showing up as VW Boras.

Circle T

sneaky77 said:
if you slow down too much you get less pts, gold pins are worth more.
Finally passed it. Would have been nice had T10 actually given some directions/rules for the game instead of just going "Here you go, hit some pins, get this score" and sending you on your way. Like I said, I can't see anywhere in the game where it tells you what the hell is going on.

Quote said:
No Speed Wheel fix? Fuck it, I'm returning it.
Dude, the games been out two days. We've established that it's a bug in the game. You're going to have to hold your horses.

jedimike said:
I just hold down the guide button to bring up the "power" menu and select power down controller. I've never had the Speed Wheel get confused for an actual wheel and have never had to restart the game.

Try that and see if it works.
You might not even realize it if you use automatic gears. The remapping of the d-pad is the biggest issue when it happens.

DasRaven

bkfount said:
Yeah, but there's a video on youtube with top gear style narration that appears to not actually be in the game. Maybe it was too sarcastic about their fake vehicle or something.

Oh, that one. I'm pretty sure he badly pisses on Porsche in that one.

sneaky77

holy cow skyfinch, already lvl 50?

edit: start up animation.. why is still in there? didn't everyone complain already in 3 about how pointless it is and how you cant get enough time to prepare the launch?

eek5

Circle T said:

I go fast and at an angle to try to hit as many pins with my car and have those pins knock down other pins. Yellow pins are worth more but sometimes they're in tricky spots and it's better to knock white pins into them rather than hit the yellow pins directly.

Top Bottom