• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Shaneus

AMUSIX said:
just on the sidelines here as I've got my own club, but the flighty way the car club was handled here has been a trainwreck (how's that for mixing transportation).

What should have been done is made sure there was room enough for whomever wanted to join. Which would have meant making more than one club. Say, NeoGAF M, NeoGAF R, NeoGAF S (in reference to popular sport division badging in makes like BMW, Mercedes, Honda, etc). Then everyone joins whichever of the three clubs they want...heck, the 'community leaders' should have agreed to split themselves up between the three clubs so that one doesn't become the 'popular clique'. 300 spaces would have been more than enough to ensure that there was still room for the AUS and EU releases.

In a month or two, when the initial rush has died down, THEN you consolidate the clubs into one.

Pretty sure it's too late to do this now, as too many people have already been treated like shit by the community elites, but it's just been painful and, really, disappointing to watch.
You didn't get into the first one, did you? ;)

I agree, but there's no-one specific to blame. Except you. Why didn't you make this post a week or two ago?

:D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Slayer-33 said:
The problem was not planning for this better and beforehand.

Everyone is to blame for that.
Not planning beforehand and then putting Gowans in charge of a makeshift club are two pretty big factors.

h3ro

Everyone should go to jfiler's storefront. (search via gamertag)

Buy the BMW 135 A600 tune that he put up, buy the corresponding 1M-styled livery as well (I bought both the Charcoal LE paint and stock Red one).

Absolutely destroy A600 Ferraris and Alfas. Neutral handling tune with tons of grip and power. Plus, the M livery is gorgeous, with subtle Hamann-styled flared fenders. Superb tune and paint.

Take that Best Buy. Take that exclusive 1M.

135.jpg

(pic by jfiler on FM.net forums)

Later on today, I'll post a list of some of the best vendors in F4. Most of the great F3 guys have carried over some legacy paints (such as our own modus, eek and Raudi also Armipotent Adam). There is tons of great livery work already out!

Sethos

Banned
Car club thing does indeed sound messed up, plus being kicked randomly and your membership constantly assessed? Sounds like a place I'd avoid at all costs.

The_Monk

I have to agree with AMUSIX GAF-community always gets it right but this one has terrible management, I'm sorry.

People are added, then they are dismissed only from others to join, then someone can volunteer himself to back out for a while...

I Love cars and I love GAF so I would like to have the community organized so every one can enjoy the game better with people they like to hang. :)

h3ro

Sethos said:
Car club thing does indeed sound messed up, plus being kicked randomly and your membership constantly assessed? Sounds like a place I'd avoid at all costs.
This membership checking is going to be short lived. In two weeks, most of the casuals will have moved on or not really contribute, then we'll have plenty of spots available to jump in. Even some of our more dedicated community guys aren't in the club, just to wait out this period.

Sethos said:

Sounds like the opposite of the car club that GAF deserves. We should make a 'AlternaGAF' car club.

LiK

I'm disappointed I can only join one club at a time. They're treated like clans. (I never joined a club in FM3 if it had one)

dejay

Banned
Shaneus said:
You didn't get into the first one, did you? ;)

I agree, but there's no-one specific to blame. Except you. Why didn't you make this post a week or two ago?

:D

I suggested regions but nobody wanted them.

Regardless, it was always my intention to stay out of it - I knew it was going to go down like this and it would have left a sour taste in my mouth if I had become vested in it.

If anyone is to blame it's either T10 or MS for setting a 100 membership limit. Have they learned nothing from the restricted friends lists?

Sethos said:

The racing is good though. Was on with a friend and I just hit 'invite club', and boom, eight people showed up.

I think we should split into a couple of clubs (for now), and keep friends in the other club. When you want to race, invite your club and your friends in the other club, and have them invite their club.

Am totally willing to jump ship, but I don't want to manage the GAF-R club.

The_Monk

FINALLY! :D

My LE arrived! The best?

They sent me two codes for two different cars. The strange, one of the codes is a exclusive from another completly store, what..? Feels good when they give you more than you expect.

k4nPPl.jpg

Shaneus

dejay said:
I suggested regions but nobody wanted them.

Regardless, it was always my intention to stay out of it - I knew it was going to go down like this and it would have left a sour taste in my mouth if I had become vested in it.

If anyone is to blame it's either T10 or MS for setting a 100 membership limit. Have they learned nothing from the restricted friends lists?
If you suggested specific regions (and I seem to recall someone mentioning that, it may have been you) then it was perhaps just the wrong choice of words. Suggesting "classes" or specialty groups would've been far more suitable.

I can't really put any blame on MS or Turn 10 for a 100 member limit, though. There would be very, very few online communities that would have an issue with that size restriction. Maybe here, Somethingawful, FM.net, Forzacentral... and maybe a small number more. Personally, I think the number is fine (and not because I'm in it). The amount of notifications from people sending cars would be ridiculous. Hell, it already is.

The club drama isn't even really drama. Splitting it up into regions would be detrimental to the player base because there aren't even enough ACTIVE members to fill one club let alone two.

Honestly, I think after like a month, or when Skyrim, Uncharted, and other games come out the club will open up a bit.

I don't think a house cleaning every week is good, but I'm not in charge and just going with the flow.

Seems a lot of people like to complain but I only saw Gowan step up to the plate and actually go through the work of getting the club up and going and getting people invited and getting a doc up for interest and such. I give him props for that.

Dust will settle. This feels like an MMO launch where everybody wants to start a guild and then 2 months down the road 90% of your players drop and you have to combine anyway. It's going to be like that. Just give it time.

shinnn

I don't know if it has been posted

Title Update details - 10/13/11

· Various track visual upgrades

· Various UI improvements

· Fixed Rivals Track Day exploit where users can gain advantage by forcibly pitting AI cars

· Fixed Drag leaderboard exploit that gave players time advantage by loading tuning file (To coincide with this fix, we will be wiping the drag leaderboards in the near future)

· Fixed issue where importing a Forza 3 profile does not award credits to Xbox LIVE Silver members

· Fixed issue where some livery editor layers were appearing as corrupted when importing from Forza 3
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4875997.aspx

cjelly said:
Has anyone got their Impreza code from GAME?

Nope, they should be due to sent out at some point today I'm guessing?

Edit: Just checked my e-mail and its there now. Sent 20 minutes ago, not sure how I missed it.

Gowans

Guys if you have a better way about the club let me know, I've constantly asked.

If someone else wants to run it and do a better job I'll pass over the ownership with no problem at all.

Gowans007 said:
Guys if you have a better way about the club let me know, I've constantly asked.

If someone else wants to run it and do a better job I'll pass over the ownership with no problem at all.

I wouldn't sweat it, dust will settle and everybody will be happy. I think having an over 100 limit would suck for Messages like said above.

It's new game hype where everybody wants in but I highly doubt all the people in the club now will stay active.

G Rom

I wish I could help with the club but still no home connection (got it for 10 min yesterday but it was beyond terrible, I'm starting to think I waited one month for nothing :-/ ).
Anyway, I just discovered that world tour becomes useless once you've done the ten seasons once. It gives you races you've already won in the selection (with no indication that you already did the race), which is completly dumb. Looks like I'm back in the event list just like I was in FM3 after completing the first six seasons... :(

Sethos

Banned
CrudeDiatribe said:
The racing is good though. Was on with a friend and I just hit 'invite club', and boom, eight people showed up.

I think we should split into a couple of clubs (for now), and keep friends in the other club. When you want to race, invite your club and your friends in the other club, and have them invite their club.

Am totally willing to jump ship, but I don't want to manage the GAF-R club.

Oh yeah, the idea of a club is fantastic but the idea of a club being ruled by the Third Reich isn't

G Rom said:
I wish I could help with the club but still no home connection (got it for 10 min yesterday but it was beyond terrible, I'm starting to think I waited one month for nothing :-/ ).
Anyway, I just discovered that world tour becomes useless once you've done the ten seasons once. It gives you races you've already won in the selection (with no indication that you already did the race), which is completly dumb. Looks like I'm back in the event list just like I was in FM3 after completing the first six seasons... :(

Ah man, that's weak. I was hoping to do WT to complete the events list.

Also, never thought I'd say this to somebody in a racing game ... but slow down! =P

Honestly, the Rivals stuff is making me a better driver than anything in the WT. Some of the races are kind of close but I always pull ahead. I'm only level 17 or so right now so that might be the issue. It's a tough decision, rivals stuff or WT so I can learn the tracks better. I really need to learn the tracks because my online racing leaves something to be desired.

Sethos said:
Oh yeah, the idea of a club is fantastic but the idea of a club being ruled by the Third Reich isn't

Yep, totally

Gowans007 said:

What a terrible person!

Ok after moaning about the rather tight tin holders I fully installed the game and registered all my bonus dlc contents...

This game is HOT, I love how the map works now, the auto balancing AI to keep you on your toes, the huge improvements over car handling (I always thought forza 3 was a bit too grippy among other faults) and the music and menu presentation is amazing.

Love the new IBL on the old tracks too, it makes them all feel super fresh and interesting again.

DasRaven said:
I have codes for trade.

Have:
2x BMW 1M

Need:
1. Honda CR-Z
2. MINI Clubman
I can give you the mini clubman code for a beemer.

G Rom

Just got my LCE, I'm very disappointed by the Top Gear book. Not by the presentation which is fantastic but by the content. The text is exactly what Clarkson says in the game and some cars have completly wrong photos. The Bugatti Veyron pictured is the Grand Sport, the SLR is the roadster version, the Spyker is the wrong one, etc...

Also, the book wasn't even translated. Not that I'm complaining because I prefere it that way but I think more casual guys or guys that don't understand English would feel ripped off.

Now, my nearly 3.7M of Cr await the new cars. :)

G Rom said:
Just got my LCE, I'm very disappointed by the Top Gear book. Not by the presentation which is fantastic but by the content. The text is exactly what Clarkson says in the game and some cars have completly wrong photos.

It's not exactly what he says— he uses "I" and the book variously uses "Jeremy" and "JC".

Scotch

I never thought I would but..... I just got the Wireless Speed Wheel bundle. It was €63.99 so I thought... why not. I'll post some impressions later.

after playing with the speed wheel, i was using the controller for some painting/tuning of the B class Legacy GT i am working on, went to test drive/tune. dear god, the controller has been ruined. I was incapable of racing with it. the triggers feel tiny.

a great purchase. loving this thing. once you are dialed in, the laps just peel off. shoulders are still killing me though. some new muscles being used.

Seriously having too much fun in Rivals mode. I think I did like two World Tour races last night because I just couldn't pull away from Rivals. And now I have two people that must PAY for their crimes in beating me. You have been warned....

Sarcasm

I want the wheel but it says not out yet on play asia (US one since I have US xbox - I don't think the JP one will work).

-Taiwan GAF

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Any wheel newbies here who went all-in and got the Fanatec set-up? Any regrets so far? I tried the MS speed wheel at Best Buy and it's surprisingly good as a cheap solution, although I couldn't feel any force feedback with it at all.

sneaky77

Shortt Sirket said:
Seriously having too much fun in Rivals mode. I think I did like two World Tour races last night because I just couldn't pull away from Rivals. And now I have two people that must PAY for their crimes in beating me. You have been warned....

Sounds like my play last night lol.. Rivals mode is strangely addicting, and a good way to learn tracks..

sneaky77

Aruarian Reflection said:
Any wheel newbies here who went all-in and got the Fanatec set-up? Any regrets so far? I tried the MS speed wheel at Best Buy and it's surprisingly good as a cheap solution, although I couldn't feel any force feedback with it at all.

I got the CSR, the CSR elite pedals and the Renn Stand, other than the no money issue when is set at 900 degrees, I am having a blast

Shortt Sirket said:

Same here. I'm almost to level 25, but only have 0.3% of the career completed, and it's all because of Rivals. I just love the fact that there are multiple ways to the top and you're constantly progressing in FM4 no matter how you choose to play it.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Same here. I'm almost to level 25, but only have 0.3% of the career completed, and it's all because of Rivals. I just love the fact that there are multiple ways to the top and you're constantly progressing in FM4 no matter how you choose to play it.

Amen. I also love the fact you can choose club cars ... so I can race the way people have it setup.

I really feel Rivals is making me a much better driver (I am pretty terrible) because I can see how fast/where people are taking the turns. I've only raced online a couple times and came in close to last so I'll probably practice in Rivals some more and learn the tracks better in WT.

WT is like second tier to my enjoyment of the game! Such a crazy thought considering in F3 and GT5 I spent 99-100% of my time in the career modes.

You know what the Club needs? Announcements (or if they are in there and I don't see them point them out). It would be awesome to have a club calendar or just shout outs for upcoming races within your club menu.

Did anyone do the Game with Devs event a couple of nights ago? Jube mentioned that everyone in the room would get a unicorn. I hope so 'cuz I won't be getting one via the auction house!

AlanzTalon said:
after playing with the speed wheel, i was using the controller for some painting/tuning of the B class Legacy GT i am working on, went to test drive/tune. dear god, the controller has been ruined. I was incapable of racing with it. the triggers feel tiny.

a great purchase. loving this thing. once you are dialed in, the laps just peel off. shoulders are still killing me though. some new muscles being used.

Played around with it at a Best Buy kiosk yesterday and really liked it. Unfortunately, they were out of it. Going to Gamestop after work to try to grab one. Had kinda talked myself out of it, but after reading post like that.... this is on your hands! My wallet has requested that I take down 5 of your times just out of spite. I agreed to my wallets terms and conditions of purchasing the speed wheel.

Tabs

Late night rivals races for me last night against the club. Great stuff. It totally has that, "just one more time" addiction about it like Trials HD. Getting a clean run on Infineon Raceway in the stock car was frustratingly fun. Now I can't wait to get the time down even more.

I know I said I didn't have the 900 degree 0 credit glitch the night before, but I got it last night (this is with the PWTS wheel). And it was on a 50,000CR rival race that I won GAHHH! I set it to 270, won a race, got the credits, set it back to 900 and kept getting credits, so it's glitchy but not 100%.

I added a Tuned A Class Cobalt to the GAF Garage last night. I know you all think I am crazy for sharing and tuning a FWD A Class car, but this thing is nuts. I was just destroying all comers with it. You have to ease on the gas to prevent some wheel spin, but it rotates around corners really well and is nimble as hell. I am surprised by how good it is as an A class car.

TheApatheticOne said:
Played around with it at a Best Buy kiosk yesterday and really liked it. Unfortunately, they were out of it. Going to Gamestop after work to try to grab one. Had kinda talked myself out of it, but after reading post like that.... this is on your hands! My wallet has requested that I take down 5 of your times just out of spite. I agreed to my wallets terms and conditions of purchasing the speed wheel.

I accept the conditions. iam definitely on board with that thing. at first you feel like you need to switch back to the controller, but give it time, learn it, it will do you right.

a question for all: when a car is "locked" and you cannot upload it to your car club....what is locked? it is due to using purchased liveries/vinyl groups? all my cars have a WI license plate, and i can't put them on the car club...is that what it is locked about?

Mascot

Managed a quick blast today. Very nice! It all felt very familiar, but nice nevertheless.
Good to see they haven't changed the 'Saving' message on initial start up (I think they mean 'Loading'). It always makes me laugh, that.
Hammering the AI by half a lap all the time in World Tour is plain ridiculous, though. I know I could play the same events from the matrix and then have the option to adjust the AI difficulty, but I really like the World Tour presentation. Shame this mode seems to be broken regarding AI ability. I even entered a E-class race in a stock F-class Ford Ka and still smoked the opposition with all assists off. Not good, Turn 10. There's no way this was missed in testing so they must have decided it was OK. It's plainly not.
Autovista I can take or leave, I don't think it's something I'll be spending much time in. Quickly once per car, probably.
Haven't tried it on the wheel rig yet. I'm away tonight so will give it a good go on Saturday evening.

It's here!

If I have one complaint about this game, it's the music during races. Totally bland and forgettable, to the point where it's bringing the whole experience down. I know purists turn the music off, and just listen to the cars. Which is fine. And I know I can stream my own playlists, which is fine (but kind of breaks the flow of the game audio-wise).

The music during menus is fine. But not during races.

Top Bottom