• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Not having this game yet is starting to get painful.
Thinking about getting an EB rental..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Diablohead said:
Just spent an hour making a gaf garage FWD A class car, check it out :)

I tuned it on the topgear track so it may vary on larger circuits.

2d7zs48.jpg
Absolutely beautiful. I'm working on a GAF car atm too :)

h3ro

Diablohead, that livery is gorgeous!

Also, have you guys discovered the absolute joy a well tuned S700 Lexus LFA is?! Give it a shot. It's nothing short of amazing. That V10 exhaust note.... <3

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Crudediatribe I'm ahead of you now, top gaf so far in this challenge #422 online lol!

Nurb GP fast pass, come at me bro!

Now to shave off 12 seconds... Jesus Christ.

Diablo beautiful design.

skyfinch

guest1321 said:
I'm not sure if you are going for the "posting times in all rivals mode achievement", but if you are you only need to do one event in each of them. I found this out the hard way when I finished all of events within every mode except for one. I did my first race in the new mode, BAM! Achievement unlocked. I really hope you are not going for that achievement only because damn that was a hard smack in the face from reality.

Exactly what I did. Ran through all the rivals mode as fast as I could. Someone should watch my ghosts in the cone challenges. :D

guest1321

skyfinch said:
Exactly what I did. Ran through all the rivals mode as fast as I could. Someone should watch my ghosts in the cone challenges. :D
I watched them as I was trying to place a time. You didn't do the autocross. I wouldn't be surprised if you were thinking "I finally have a place to take out all my road rage! Kill all the barrels!!!!"

On another note I have never heard a Tesla prior to racing it in this game. Oh wow, it sounds awesome!

sneaky77

guest1321 said:
I watched them as I was trying to place a time. You didn't do the autocross. I wouldn't be surprised if you were thinking "I finally have a place to take out all my road rage! Kill all the barrels!!!!"

lol is that what he did, I didn't even notice, dammit

So, I'm thinking of picking this game up on Monday.
Never really been into racing sims, in the sense that I'm more accustomed to playing racing games like Need for Speed or Burnout.
However, I've probably logged a good 2 hours into the demo, and as you can probably guess from that number, I'm loving it.

Now, I read the OP, watched a bunch of videos, read some reviews, but the question I still want answered is, why this game over Gran Turismo 5?
Don't get me wrong, I want to get this game, but it seems to me, (keep in mind I probably have no idea what I'm talking about) that the GT series maintains a higher degree of excellence or at least is a more well known.

So, what X-factor does Forza 4 have that justifies its purchase over GT5 or some other racing sim?

Yoritomo

Syph Medwes said:
So, I'm thinking of picking this game up on Monday.
Never really been into racing sims, in the sense that I'm more accustomed to playing racing games like Need for Speed or Burnout.
However, I've probably logged a good 2 hours into the demo, and as you can probably guess from that number, I'm loving it.

Now, I read the OP, watched a bunch of videos, read some reviews, but the question I still want answered is, why this game over Gran Turismo 5?
Don't get me wrong, I want to get this game, but it seems to me, (keep in mind I probably have no idea what I'm talking about) that the GT series maintains a higher degree of excellence or at least is a more well known.

So, what X-factor does Forza 4 have that justifies its purchase over GT5 or some other racing sim?

There's no law that says you have to choose one or the other. If you enjoyed the demo buy the game. They're both solid enough games that it's just a matter of personal choice and or money.

skyfinch

guest1321 said:

On another note I have never heard a Tesla prior to racing it in this game. Oh wow, it sounds awesome!

Funny part is, if you do not go off the track, it counts as a clean lap, no matter how many barrels you hit. I actually managed to beat a rival just by doing a clean lap, even though I smash through all the barrels.

Caddle

Just to let everyone know. If you change the fov using the multiscreen trick, enabling head tracking allow you to look around the interior with the new view.

eek5

skyfinch said:
Funny part is, if you do not go off the track, it counts as a clean lap, no matter how many barrels you hit. I actually managed to beat a rival just by doing a clean lap, even though I smash through all the barrels.
Well you get time penalties for hitting the cones. I think the "dirty lap" is mainly to prevent rewind. For some reason the time I set for that is way faster than I can do. I don't remember setting it before and I can't even get close to matching my own time now

Broman1978

Lol! Nice detail! In the Nissan GT-R´10 (probably in other cars to)
The clock is dynamic and changes in realtime (is that the correct term in english?) :)

We7h6.jpg

Fuck, I've spent literally the last 8-9 hours playing Forza by myself and with my friends at my house. WHAT THE FUCK.

I'm #67 now for A class at Tsukuba Short... somebody should run my ghost. It's pretty outrageous at this point. :\

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
BoobPhysics101 said:
Fuck, I've spent literally the last 8-9 hours playing Forza by myself and with my friends at my house. WHAT THE FUCK.

I'm #67 now for A class at Tsukuba Short... somebody should run my ghost. It's pretty outrageous at this point. :
If it wasn't for the servers going down earlier I would have spent all night on that nurb gt traffic challenge I got down to 2:09.xx I can do 2:06.xx clean but I have no idea how the f I'll get it down to 1:57, god damn. Maybe my veyron can't do that but some crazy bastard got it down to 1:58 in a 98' viper lol, behind an f40 and something else at number 1

I'm stuck at work now :( wish I was playing.

pmj

Any tips for getting off the line in a reasonable way? I've noticed when racing ghosts in rivals that I always lose a lot of time here. Not being a driver in real life means I don't really understand how engines work and how you're supposed to do this.

DasRaven

Looks like I finally got a line on my last Pokemon, ahem, Pre-order DLC car.
Now entertaining non-trade offers (dollars & points) for my final BMW 1M code.

Send PM.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
pmj said:
Any tips for getting off the line in a reasonable way? I've noticed when racing ghosts in rivals that I always lose a lot of time here. Not being a driver in real life means I don't really understand how engines work and how you're supposed to do this.
Just lap around and get a proper start if that's what you mean. Otherwise feather gas into to full throttle and shift to 2nd after the rpms drop once tires grip at the 6k rpm range.

pmj

Slayer-33 said:
Just lap around and get a proper start if that's what you mean. Otherwise feather gas into to full throttle and shift to 2nd after the revs drop once tires grip at the rev 6k range.
Standing start is what I'm talking about. I played quite a bit of Forza 3, tried many ways and finally settled on revs high enough for wheel spin, but immediately easing off enough to grip and then progressively give gas.

This is probably horribly stupid. I'm pretty sure I tried your way already, but I'll do so again.

eek5

pmj said:
Standing start is what I'm talking about. I played quite a bit of Forza 3, tried many ways and finally settled on revs high enough for wheel spin, but immediately easing off enough to grip and then progressively give gas.

This is probably horribly stupid. I'm pretty sure I tried your way already, but I'll do so again.
I watched the telemetry of the #1 guy in drag and what he did was half throttle to start then go full. I think he basically reved up to redline as the countdown was going then eased into full throttle.

nagge

I really enjoy the lower class cars in this game, bought the Aston Martin Vantage V8 this morning and removed the bumpers and threw on a few handling bits and it drove like a dream.

4rwao4.jpg

pmj said:
I'll do some drag races, notebook in hand. This problem needs to be solved.

Thanks for the suggestions.
It has a lot do with drive type in my opinion. That and power.

A FWD, you would never want to spin the wheels. Ease into it slowly.

An AWD, flat out everytime. Some cars, depending on power can be unwieldy and you may want to ease up. But generally, nail it and you will do well.

RWD, varies considerably. Basically you want the wheels to spin a little, but not so much that the car starts to twist/turn/kick. I have done a lot of drags in Forza 3/4 and it almost always seems to be quickest to get a slight amount of wheel spin (dependent on the RPM you launch at), then ease the throttle from roughly half way to full ASAP without creating more wheel spin. If at any point, your car is kicking out or you are spinning past the first second or so from launch, try again with less throttle and/or lower RPM. Once you have it down with one car you'll find it easier with the rest.

Mascot

eek5 said:
Well you get time penalties for hitting the cones

Weirdly, not always. I sent one cone flying yet didn't get a time penalty. I'm not complaining, mind!

Finally got to spend some extended time with FM4 yesterday. The phrase 'content rich' should have been coined for this game - there's just so much to do it's quite overwhelming at times. Brilliant stuff. Makes some other games seem really shallow by comparison.

Couple of quick observations:

1. It seems like the adaptable AI in World Tour finally kicked in at level 20. There was a definite spike in difficulty, but still only on a par with 'medium' AI in FM3. Still far too easy to smoke them. Maybe it'll keep improving.

2. Is anyone else getting occasional micro-pauses, like a split-second hitch in the framerate? Seems to happen at least once on every track. Every time it happens I expect to get a notification that a friend has just come online, but it doesn't seem related to that. Might be an issue with streaming the track (if FM4 streams track textures, I don't know)?

should be getting this on monday from gamefly cannot wait
BoobPhysics101 said:
ride%252520hard.jpg

This is how you win a race.
reminds me of this f3 pic i snapped, was in the veyron lol. For what the veyron lacked in handling it made up for in speed
0ICXb.jpg

Jube3

Man between the GAF club and my friends list this rivals business is bout to reach Arch Nemesis status, logged into about 60 messages letting me know of my defeats haha.

Shaneus

Jube3 said:
Man between the GAF club and my friends list this rivals business is bout to reach Arch Nemesis status, logged into about 60 messages letting me know of my defeats haha.
You'll get another one soon, I've been struggling against your Kaido drift score! Can see how I need to get it, just need to string a clean run together.

Jube3 said:

I really gotta get into one of the GAF clubs. Which ones are open right now, guys?

Shaneus

I have 2 million, almost exclusively stuck to Rivals, level 20-something and done the first season of the world tour... 0.2% complete :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Shaneus said:
I have 2 million, almost exclusively stuck to Rivals, level 20-something and done the first season of the world tour... 0.2% complete :lol
We are rich biach.

wtf are you doing up nao?

3h:40m for me to be home and then some forza! lololololol

skyfinch

As G rom mentioned, there should be a way to let us know if we had already completed a world tour event. I think I must have repeated a dozen.

Also, down to my last 4 achievements, but they are the big ones. Will take me months to a year to finish the game completely, but I am up for the challenge.

Shaneus

Slayer-33 said:
We are rich biach.

wtf are you doing up nao?

3h:40m for me to be home and then some forza! lololololol
Up now? It's 7:21pm in Australia!

I really do think I'm hooked on Rivals. Completely forgot the F1 was on and I think I'm developing RSI just from this weekend alone.

It just astounds me that I'm loving Rivals, scoring massively with affinity, XP and scoring cars with the leveling up. It's remarkable that I can fully upgrade a car I've never driven for nothing because I thrashed the hell out of another from the same manufacturer. Flogged the hell out of this mode, and it's doing my head in that I've hardly touched world tour OR the tuning OR AV OR the livery editor OR the other online modes. Where the fuck am I going to find the time and hand strength?

skyfinch

So rivals is the best for getting affinity? Tried my best to use only Ferraris during world tour, but am still only at level 20.

eek5

skyfinch said:
So rivals is the best for getting affinity? Tried my best to use only Ferraris during world tour, but am still only at level 20.

I think world tour and online races are the best. Rivals is really good for credits but you don't seem to get as much XP as other modes.

Mascot said:
Weirdly, not always. I sent one cone flying yet didn't get a time penalty. I'm not complaining, mind!

Teach me your ways!

2. Is anyone else getting occasional micro-pauses, like a split-second hitch in the framerate? Seems to happen at least once on every track. Every time it happens I expect to get a notification that a friend has just come online, but it doesn't seem related to that. Might be an issue with streaming the track (if FM4 streams track textures, I don't know)?

I've only had one major one and it was when I unlocked one of those name things. I wonder if there is any communication with the servers in the background that might be causing it.

nismogrendel said:
Which choices do you regret? I'm only 26 or so, grabbing whatever Ferraris I can see for the achievement/badge thingy.

There are some cars that cost millions more than the others. The good news is that there are a lot of people picking rewards based solely on new value so even if you make a mistake those auction house markets are flooded and you can still find those cars for "cheap" from time to time.

skyfinch

nismogrendel said:
Which choices do you regret? I'm only 26 or so, grabbing whatever Ferraris I can see for the achievement/badge thingy.

It was one of the R1 class. I picked a Mazda over the Audi (sorry, forget the actual car names). Then further into world tour, I was struggling to keep pace with the very same Audi I could have picked. A few others I picked blindly.

I don't recall seeing the stats for each car, while they are being gifted. In the garage, it's the Y button, but there was no option while being gifted car. I had no clue which car was more powerful, faster, better handling.

Also, if you're attempting all the achievements, like me, there is one "own the 5 most expensive cars". 3 of the most expensive cars are Ferraris. So getting the "own all Ferraris" achievement will help with this one.

eek5 said:
I think world tour and online races are the best. Rivals is really good for credits but you don't seem to get as much XP as other modes.

World Tour suddenly slowed down the affinity count as I got closer to the end. Was racking up a ton before then. Seems like I was stuck on 19 (ferrari) for an entire season.

eek5

One thing you can do if you're unsure is when the car selection screen pops up hit LT to go to your messages and go to one of the car shared listings, I know you have like 20 of them, and it'll take you out of career to your club. You can go to AH and check market prices of the cars and stuff then go back and choose.

Top Bottom