• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Tier 6 represent.
Boosh.

It was easy to reach that from my Forza 5 play since I almost ran exclusively in free play - 10+ laps, expert or pro drivatars. I'd just enjoy the race, or listen to a podcast at the same time while learning the ins and outs of the car and the track.

That and my favorite decompress-from-work racing - three to five lap time trials or rivals with the James Hunt Mclaren on the Nurburgring. So fucking good.

I'm the same. Pushed from Tier 5 into 6 in Forza 5 - mostly in free race. I liked to turn the driver aids off and enjoy the feels of the cars, though I admit my racecraft meant I had my Drivatars set at just above average much of the time.

Though the last couple of weeks I've been playing lots of career stuff I didn't do earlier - have been really enjoying the vintage racing, especially with the narrow tuning margins allowed.

Doffen

This is how you bully people in online free roaming:

iwLHjeXHKDfsT.gif

I wonder how different the two versions of this game will be, because I loved the first one so much that I'm tempted to rent the 360 one for a week in October.

Gestault

I wonder how different the two versions of this game will be, because I loved the first one so much that I'm tempted to rent the 360 one for a week in October.

They're totally gonna get a double-dip from me the first time the 360 version is on super-sale. I'm curious.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's pretty much like pgr4 controls.

What were you expecting with the visuals?

Not sure. I was expecting it to look a little more....organic? I guess? Whatever the hell that means.

To me it just looked like a better AA version of Horizon on 360. I'll need to play PGR4 again, but I don't think it even looks much better than that.

In the end, I'm not much of a graphics whore anyway. Its the handling that really turned me off. Not arcadey enough.

I'll continue to wait for a Split/Second sequel I guess.

Le sigh

They're totally gonna get a double-dip from me the first time the 360 version is on super-sale. I'm curious.

I was hoping one of the two local libraries would get it, but neither one has it available for a hold. Ah well.

Traditional Forza gets boring quickly, but Horizon's great.

Gestault

What is the XP/level stuff for? In the real game that is.

Different tiers of festival events, if it's like the first game. You also get car/credit bonuses from sponsors within the game, the more visibility you get. In gameplay terms, it's a system to meter out the event progression.

I saw someone on another site getting all bonkers that he says he had to turn up his brightness all the way to help with the "crushed blacks" of this game.

Now come on... I'm lucky enough to be one of those guys who can't see major differences between 900p and 1080p and I don't even know what to look for on a crushed black. Thankfully. (ignorance is truly bliss)

But does this game have that or something? Helios? What say you? Anyone else too? Would love to shove it back in this guys face if that really isn't there. Again, I can't tell.. but even if I was looking right at it I couldn't tell.

Oh.. and I'm loving this game. So are my boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqAUAIu0qE

dookeh

I saw someone on another site getting all bonkers that he says he had to turn up his brightness all the way to help with the "crushed blacks" of this game.

Now come on... I'm lucky enough to be one of those guys who can't see major differences between 900p and 1080p and I don't even know what to look for on a crushed black. Thankfully. (ignorance is truly bliss)

But does this game have that or something? Helios? What say you? Anyone else too? Would love to shove it back in this guys face if that really isn't there. Again, I can't tell.. but even if I was looking right at it I couldn't tell.

Oh.. and I'm loving this game. So are my boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqAUAIu0qE

Yes, the crushed black is pretty bad imho. I have a calibrated panasonic plasma and I kept raising the brightness in the game trying to get shadow detail to the point where the game was blinding. So I just gave up (back to default) and have to accept it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
High five Tier 6 buddies!

Teir 6 4 lyfe!

Yes, the crushed black is pretty bad imho. I have a calibrated panasonic plasma and I kept raising the brightness in the game trying to get shadow detail to the point where the game was blinding. So I just gave up (back to default) and have to accept it.

Forza Horizon 2 does not have crushed blacks, the crushed black on Xbox One are caused usually by the scaler but this game doesn't use the scaler.

dookeh

Teir 6 4 lyfe!

Forza Horizon 2 does not have crushed blacks, the crushed black on Xbox One are caused usually by the scaler but this game doesn't use the scaler.

Yea, I'm familiar with the scaler issue. It must be my settings I used to compensate for black level rise on my plasma. I'm used to that causing a degree of black crush, but it just seems more pronounced in this game than anything else I've played lately. This is also the first XBO game I've played in several months.

EmpReb

Banned
This Game, MCC, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break really have sold me on an XBONE for streaming/ MS esusives. Sorry PS4 but if you have a PC the XBONE strangely seems a better option.

RawNuts

It just occurred to me that you can say screw it to the speed camera and just drive the Agera around for two minutes; very fun car and gives a taste of what RWD in the game is like.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yea, I'm familiar with the scaler issue. It must be my settings I used to compensate for black level rise on my plasma. I'm used to that causing a degree of black crush, but it just seems more pronounced in this game than anything else I've played lately. This is also the first XBO game I've played in several months.

Make sure the brightness level set on the game itself isn't too low.

I had the game idle on the menu doing close ups of the Audi and my wife walked by, stopped, looked and said: "Oh...that's not real?"

Lol. She doesn't really play games so she's not tuned in to that stuff. Gorgeous looking game nonetheless.

DirtyLarry

Glad to see the responses to my post at the top of page 50 that I was/am not losing my mind.
For the record in those views I was able to get 1st place after 3 attempts no problem (I went 10th, 3rd, 1st), so it is not the end of the world by any means. Just takes getting used to I suppose.

And do not get me wrong. I am absolutely looking forward to the retail release, and still keeping my preorder of said retail release.

Just those cameras are not the easiest for this game was all I was sharing, and I had not seen much talk about it yet. In all fairness I also did not read all 50 pages, so there is also that LOL.

I will also share, even though I am sure it will be considered blasphemy, that I barely played Horizon 1. I was not yet a Forza convert when it released. I only played arcade racers up until that point. So I am also lttForzap

Megasoum

Banned
So I just tried the game with my TX. FFB is great (not PC Sim level amazing but still great). I leave everything both on the wheel and ingame to default except for FFB Strenght that I bump to 65.

It's fun to drive with a wheel but holy shit it makes the off road sections really really tough haha. I finished last on the first race.

I've got to say the demo for this game really impressed me. I'm not really a big racing game fan outside of the PGR series(although I do dabble in FM/NFS sometimes), but this was really fun. This wasn't really high on my radar before the demo, but I'm leaning towards a purchase at this point. I honestly think this could be a GOTY contender with the way things have gone so far with some of the other big titles.

Interesting. I have an LG 55 inch 3D LED and I was able to see the "1" at the start of the game when it tells you to calibrate your brightness or whatnot. I didn't have to change a thing. I could see the "1" but just hardly.

Meh.. oh well. I don't know why it would be there then. I thought it was said this was fixed as well.

edit.. never mind... saw the other guys post and your post. Ok.. great! Gonna tell him to check his end then. Thanks guys.

m23

Finally got a few multiplayer races in, this game is game of the year material for me. Wow. This is from a freakin demo.....

ProjectPick

Neo Member
This Game, MCC, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break really have sold me on an XBONE for streaming/ MS esusives. Sorry PS4 but if you have a PC the XBONE strangely seems a better option.

Add a Wii U for some Bayonetta and Kart and you have some great gaming.

Lima

Okay Helios I pre-ordered the ultimate edition right after I played the demo because I loved it so much. Paid $99,99. Now I'm reading that you get a $10 discount for being a Forza 5 VIP member. I had the Forza 5 LE and was a VIP and it never showed the discount.

It's showing now though when I got to the pre-order pages for the day one or deluxe edition. Do I need to call Microsoft to cancel or will they give me a refund of the $10?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was just playing the demo and was passing a car I was racing by going into the oncoming lane and I'm pretty sure that one of the regular traffic cars that I was about to hit flashed his high beams at me to warn me. Great little touch, LOL.

Okay Helios I pre-ordered the ultimate edition right after I played the demo because I loved it so much. Paid $99,99. Now I'm reading that you get a $10 discount for being a Forza 5 VIP member. I had the Forza 5 LE and was a VIP and it never showed the discount.

It's showing now though when I got to the pre-order pages for the day one or deluxe edition. Do I need to call Microsoft to cancel or will they give me a refund of the $10?

Just call support.

PrinceKee

I'm having so much fun with this demo and this game is day one buy now. It reminds me of Midtown Madness 3 on the OG Xbox. Speaking of which what kind of modes are there online? I hope there's gonna be modes like in MM3 like capture the gold and hunter or tag...

Lima

I'm having so much fun with this demo and this game is away one buy now. It reminds me of Midtown Madness 3 on the OG Xbox. Speaking of which what kind of modes are there online? I hope there's gonna be modes like in MM3 like capture the gold and hunter or tag...

Lots of modes. Too many too list for me now buy yeah there will be a tag mode called King, cat and mouse and other stuff. Lots of fun to be had.

PrinceKee

Lots of modes. Too many too list for me now buy yeah there will be a tag mode called King, cat and mouse and other stuff. Lots of fun to be had.

Nice thanks. This will probably end up dethroning Midtown Madness 3 as my favorite racing/car game. I need to join the GAF FH2 club now...

Klocker

Haha can't stop playing this, just doing suspend, resume for two days and am now green wrist band and level 16 by mostly just goofing around into en open world and a few races, rivals and free roam... cant's stop. 😄

Top Bottom