• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Ape

Banned
From the DF article

All reflections are rendered in real-time in Forza Horizon 2. Cars, environments and light sources are all reflected, while the sharpness and clarity of the reflection is dependant on material properties.

RawNuts

I just had to gif this part of a friend's video.

i7AqC5pDKYmrm.gif

RyudBoy

My only complaint with the graphics is that the cars reflect the environments but not each other. It looks so weird when another car is driving right beside me and I can't see my reflection, and vice versa. It's even more apparent when you're driving behind a car at nighttime. No reflections, just the light source from your headlights.

I still think the game is absolutely gorgeous, though. I just went back and played FH1 and the difference in visuals was quite staggering.

eso76

Anyone take any direct feed screens yet? Or upload any higher quality video? YouTube compression depresses me lol.

As usual, gamersyde has a few good vids.

Was watching them in glorious 1080p (ps4 browser) on my new F8500 :D

RawNuts

My only complaint with the graphics is that the cars reflect the environments but not each other. It looks so weird when another car is driving right beside me and I can't see my reflection, and vice versa. It's even more apparent when you're driving behind a car at nighttime. No reflections, just the light source from your headlights.
Are there any games that do that? I've never seen it done as far as I can remember.

RawNuts

A certain game (whose name I won't mention) does it.
Is it Driveclub or Project Cars by any chance? I'm actually quite interested in what it is, because I don't think I've seen any racing game render other cars in their reflection maps; pretty damn impressive.

strata8

Is it Driveclub or Project Cars by any chance? I'm actually quite interested in what it is, because I don't think I've seen any racing game render other cars in their reflection maps; pretty damn impressive.

DriveClub uses screen-space reflection to do it. Basically a post-process effect and it's fairly cheap. Ryse, Killzone SF, and Infamous SS use the same thing. It reflects anything and everything, as long as it's visible on screen.

RawNuts

Sweet; I hope we see more of that method of doing reflections in games then. I didn't know it was being used in that many games already, I thought it was just Killzone.

RyudBoy

DriveClub.

And I'm not sure DC is doing that, but the effect is certainly there, and it's something that I noticed that's missing in FH2.

edit: whoops, meant to quote rawnuts

p3tran

Banned
so, 1080p open world, in a rather complex racing game, real-time dynamic everything, 4xMSAA and with a forza motorsport engine running beneath, updating at 240hz?
online/offline havoc and never misses a frame?

if it is so, then
for the next guy that bust our family jewels with console power bullshit, here's the remedy I have in mind

dyn002_original_807_332_pjpeg__79f848af46f3154af06238832ff6b658.jpg

Lima

So what's the song called that plays during the opening cinematic? The one that plays while the girl is doing the voice over. Sounds like something by M83 but I can't quite put my finger on it and Shazam doesn't find anything.

Matty8787

How does pre purchase work when you do the game share thing? When will my friend get access to the game as it just says buy for him atm.

FrankT

so, 1080p open world, in a rather complex racing game, real-time dynamic everything, 4xMSAA and with a forza motorsport engine running beneath, updating at 240hz?
online/offline havoc and never misses a frame?

if it is so, then
for the next guy that bust our family jewels with console power bullshit, here's the remedy I have in mind

dyn002_original_807_332_pjpeg__79f848af46f3154af06238832ff6b658.jpg

Dat X1.

I apologize to everyone on my friend's list who has my drivatar smash into them because I'm too busy starting into the distance or the incredible foliage. Smashing into the bushes in the first cross country race is insane, it honestly felt like CG for a few seconds. Can't believe I never picked up the first game(usually a sim guy), this has shot right up to a must buy.

arhra

Just realized the full version with have 700+ events. Man, this sounds so damn much. The demo includes 3 of them ... If I calculate the time I needed for this three demo events - I will need about 116 hours :O Online, collectibles, tuning, painting and so on not even included.

Looking at the way the demo works, I suspect that the "700+ events" count is kinda inflated, by counting doing the same race in a different car class as a separate event - ie, if you pick the Bowler, the demo tells you you're entering an "Extreme Off Road" championship, whereas with the Evo you get the "Modern Rally" championship, despite it using the same races. Which is to a large extent a useful distinction; doing that cross-country race in the Bowler is going to be a very different experience to doing it in an Atom, for example, but there probably won't be 700+ unique track configurations/routes.

So the demo would technically count as being 8 events (three car classes, two races you can use your choice of car in, plus the showcase and bucket list which have a fixed car selection).

Should still be a fantastic amount of stuff to do, though.

shandy706

I'm off into the field today, won't be in my office :(...so no gifs.

I can't wait to play around in photomode. I was messing with video upload earlier and made a few low res "playing around" shots. Nothing special...I may drive-by post from the phone while I'm out and about.

iXKfqsEbsoLn4.jpg

ibj32KbCscpwmd.jpg

iboMgXG7jkpgnO.jpg

ibaYtnF2CXkijx.jpg

Weird.

I did the first post-Festival race, the first through the fields and stuff, with the checkpoints, and had a ton of problems controlling, bumping shit all over the place.

Was kind of totally not fun. Which is crazy, because I know Horizon is the best. I need to go a little further next time, but I really just wanted to get back to Destiny. :)

This fall/winter is way too crowded.

Hip Hop

Weird.

I did the first post-Festival race, the first through the fields and stuff, with the checkpoints, and had a ton of problems controlling, bumping shit all over the place.

Was kind of totally not fun. Which is crazy, because I know Horizon is the best. I need to go a little further next time, but I really just wanted to get back to Destiny. :)

This fall/winter is way too crowded.

You should change up the difficulty. The changes are really drastic between settings.

Should be fixed now, sorry.

Is the water and stuff on the left side of the screen at around 2:30 so weird looking because it's locked off from the demo? It looks like a stage from Battle Arena Toshinden. It's so weird. Left side of wall and foliage is 0_0, right side of water is total u_u

FordGTGuy

Banned
Is the water and stuff on the left side of the screen at around 2:30 so weird looking because it's locked off from the demo? It looks like a stage from Battle Arena Toshinden. It's so weird. Left side of wall and foliage is 0_0, right side of water is total u_u

I think the time of day ended up getting glitched during this recording, I was in online freeroam where it forced sunrise/storm after a race we did and then I left to singleplayer. This was the aftermath of that big storm I guess.

I think the time of day ended up getting glitched during this recording, I was in online freeroam where it forced sunrise/storm after a race we did and then I left to singleplayer. This was the aftermath of that big storm I guess.

Yeah, it seems like a weird glitch with the "fog" that creates the sense of distance. You also see it on some further out tree lines and buildings, anything in the distance.

Top Bottom