• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

jbug617

Banned
Just saw the commercial. it's live action of the game (cars going through the grass, up and down the roads etc) and at the end they mention the demo is available today.

timlot

Banned
Just saw the commercial. it's live action of the game (cars going through the grass, up and down the roads etc) and at the end they mention the demo is available today.

Saw it too. Pretty cool no gameplay though. Looks big budget and professional.

These demo impressions and footage have me seriously considering buying an X1 for this game (and Sunset Overdrive).

I'm picking up Driveclub which I think also looks great - but the open worldness and overall style of this game are just so appealing to me. Damn! Decisions!

Bessy67

Whee!

iCwunoiFwpNq7.gif
Ok, someone needs to land on top of a house. Make it happen GAF!

FordGTGuy

Banned
Every car in the tv spot for Forza Horizon2 has been announced except.... The GT-40 MK-I!

Helios why must you and the rest of Turn 10 tease this brilliant and beautiful car to us but not have it in the game.

The MK-II is in but it's not the same type of beauty and performance. Also what about the MK-IV?!

Don't tease a FordGTGuy like this!

I think I know what has me not quite vibing with this demo.

* I was expecting something more along the lines of Forza 5, but open world. I'm not talking physics so much as visuals and sound and total feel. Its not though - its Forza Horizon 1 uprezzed and expanded, and while it looks nice I don't get as great a sense of beauty and speed as in Forza 5's Mount Panorama or Prague or Long Beach.

* Horizon 2 has the same flat monocolor off-road trails as the first game. That was fine in Horizon 1, until the Rally expansion came out and so completely and utterly upgraded every aspect of those trails - they became lush, and filled with variation and color and sound and feel. To see the Horizon 1 pre-rally off-road trails here is a huge letdown. I figured that next gen power would give us at least the rally expansion level of trails.

Along those lines, the off-roading here seems to be of the completely-off-the-hook and off-the-trail variety, which while nice is pretty random, and can't replicate the high points of Horizon 1 rally at all. If anything the demo feel like a much better take on Test Drive Unlimited 2. The demo also doesn't include much off-roading in terms of trails at all - just lots and lots of open fields and trees to charge through like a rhino.

Am I just being weird?

On the positive side, the suspend-resume did work for me this time, so I was able to jump right back in and have some nice free-roaming, off and online.

* I was expecting something more along the lines of Forza 5, but open world. I'm not talking physics so much as visuals and sound and total feel. Its not though - its Forza Horizon 1 uprezzed and expanded, and while it looks nice I don't get as great a sense of beauty and speed as in Forza 5's Mount Panorama or Prague or Long Beach.

* Horizon 2 has the same flat monocolor off-road trails as the first game. That was fine in Horizon 1, until the Rally expansion came out and so completely and utterly upgraded every aspect of those trails - they became lush, and filled with variation and color and sound and feel. To see the Horizon 1 pre-rally off-road trails here is a huge letdown. I figured that next gen power would give us at least the rally expansion level of trails.

Along those lines, the off-roading here seems to be of the completely-off-the-hook and off-the-trail variety, which while nice is pretty random, and can't replicate the high points of Horizon 1 rally at all. If anything the demo feel like a much better take on Test Drive Unlimited 2. The demo also doesn't include much off-roading in terms of trails at all - just lots and lots of open fields and trees to charge through like a rhino.

Am I just being weird?

On the positive side, the suspend-resume did work for me this time, so I was able to jump right back in and have some nice free-roaming, off and online.

Yes. :p You just said Forza Horizon 2 is Forza Horizon 1 uprezzed. You then said there's more beauty in Forza 5's levels. That's very hard to agree with, especially considering the absolutely beautiful locations you can drive to in this demo alone. Even in the smaller available space in this demo, there's locations with sights that are simply just incredible.

There's almost certainly off roading in the form of trails in this demo, but they don't immediately reveal themselves from the road. Sometimes you have to take a chance and go into a location where you'd think there's nothing, and then all of a sudden you see dirt trails that take you through some pretty interesting locations before bringing you back to the road. I kinda wish there was a way to mark and program in really cool road shortcuts once you find them, so that your in car GPS would alert you to them when you draw close. Would lead to some very interesting as well as creative (and possibly entirely unique) methods for getting from one place to the other that would really add something to the experience.

Yes. :p You just said Forza Horizon 2 is Forza Horizon 1 uprezzed. You then said there's more beauty in Forza 5's levels. That's very hard to agree with, especially considering the absolutely beautiful locations you can drive to in this demo alone. Even in the smaller available space in this demo, there's locations with sights that are simply just incredible.
Whens the last time you raced Long Beach or Mount Panorama in Forza 5? Or the Nurburgring? That game is no slouch whatsoever and some (though not all) of the tracks and vistas are stunning. The lighting is static, but richer, above and beyond the reverse-engineered sun in your face that Turn 10 loves to do ;p Like God rays.

And did you ever play the Horizon 1 rally expansion? They made those dirt roads into magic. Incredible stuff. Nothing like you see in this demo - not as paths anyway.

And I'm pretty sure the rumble is entirely different in Horizon than F5.

Whens the last time you raced Long Beach or Mount Panorama in Forza 5? Or the Nurburgring? That game is no slouch whatsoever and some (though not all) of the tracks and vistas are stunning. The lighting is static, but richer, above and beyond the reverse-engineered sun in your face that Turn 10 loves to do ;p Like God rays.

And did you ever play the Horizon 1 rally expansion? They made those dirt roads into magic. Incredible stuff. Nothing like you see in this demo - not as paths anyway.

And I'm pretty sure the rumble is entirely different in Horizon than F5.

I don't actually have forza 5, but I've played a good bit of it on my friend's system prior to having my own xbox one, and while it does indeed have beautiful locations, I think when you factor in the beautiful locations in Horizon with all that freedom (which really allows you to appreciate just how amazing parts of this game looks in ways that simply aren't possible in Forza 5), the full dynamic lighting with day/night transition, the reflections from the cars and environments (especially when the road is wet in some fashion), as well the way light from everything reflects in this game, on top of the awesome weather system, it really becomes tough to say that Forza 5 looks better. Forza Horizon 2 is simply doing too much, and is so incredibly clean visually. It doesn't just stop there, though. It's all the other touches, such as the way the cars get dirty, the dust and effects from bushes or other things getting trampled as the vehicles speed through off road environments, it all makes for a killer combination. Forza 5 isn't ugly, but this game is simply doing too many things that you constantly find very visually appealing as you move throughout the world.

One other thing I found nice (and this is probably nothing, but I figured I'd try it out anyway) is that when it was raining and the windshield wipers were going on the car, I found a spot where I'd be certain there's no way any rain could drop on my car, just to see if my windshield wiper would keep going while it's raining, but nope, it stopped moving as I expected it to, and then once I drove back out into the rain, it started wiping away the rain drops yet again. I did this near the festival location where they have some good spots for you to take your car to shield it from the rain.

Yeah, you know what, this demo looks just as good as Forza's best when driving at the right times - Forza makes a lot of use of early morning hours with long shadows and god rays. Those times are hand selected to make the environments pop. Was just playing the H2 demo as the sun started to set and it looked every bit as gorgeous. So please, let me strike that from the record ;p It was the noon day sun making things look flat and less interesting.

And I had simila rmisgivings about the first Horizon - the demo didn't wow me as it took me a while to get acclimated - its not just looser Forza meets open world - its very close in some ways but its still different enough to be its own beast - those differences are off-putting at first - that is until I sink a million hours into this once it comes out.

I miss that rally expansion though. An open world with those rally surfaces and stages would be heaven.

I'm sure that they wanted to include everything that was in the expanded Horizon, and then some, but the reality is they are on a two year schedule, and the first of those years was spent in the pre-launch period, with an unfinished engine (not to mention the unfinished hardware, libraries and development tools). Hopefully next time.

Chorazin

I miss that rally expansion though. An open world with those rally surfaces and stages would be heaven.

We saw an incredibly tiny portion of the map during the demo, with makeshift off-road trails that aren't rally dedicated. For all we know there could be a whole crazy rally section, or rally tracks scattered around the map in different places. Don't freak out about a feature not present in a three car, three race demo quite yet. :)

m23

We saw an incredibly tiny portion of the map during the demo, with makeshift off-road trails that aren't rally dedicated. For all we know there could be a whole crazy rally section, or rally tracks scattered around the map in different places. Don't freak out about a feature not present in a three car, three race demo quite yet. :)

Unfortunately, I think they confirmed no rally races. By rally races I mean races like the rally expansion in horizon 1. I really wanted those in, but maybe we'll get another expansion or something. I'd probably jump on it.

Anion

Unfortunately, I think they confirmed no rally races. By rally races I mean races like the rally expansion in horizon 1. I really wanted those in, but maybe we'll get another expansion or something. I'd probably jump on it.
What if the choice to not include rally is because there is going to be a Forza Rallysport game next year?

Nah, I doubt it I guess

Played the Demo for an hour. Then promptly deleted it...

What an amazing Demo! Great length and really gives you a feel of what to expect with the full game.

The opening section was a joy to behold
The openness was amazing, ploughing through fields only to crass into a singular tree was annoying but made for how much freedom the game has.
The Graphics were excellent, I only had Rain for one race, but it was a great looking racer.
30fps! I'm not buying it if it is 30fps... No matter how much is on the screen the demo never stuttered, and was always smooth as butter. 60fps is great, but for a game like this I would happily lose out on 30fps.
The final race was immense.

I have one problem with the game... Forza... It took so much getting used to the handling. More like PGR that a True Simulator... I love Arcade racers but I keep wanting to play the corner safe. They should just call it Horizon!

Can't wait for this game to come. Don't want to spoil myself on the demo.

This could be the first true next gen racer. I look forward to playing driveclub at my friends house, but this game looks something else...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Am I just being weird?

i agree that the rally dlc was fantastic in fh1 and they should have built upon that for fh2. buuuut playground said, months back iirc, that there was no dedicated rally in this. so, instead we got a sequel to vanilla fh1. a great sequel by all appearances. you and i will just keep crossing our fingers they'll also do a dlc expansion for some real rally stuff, as whats there doesnt cut it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Demo really impressed me last night. Fun as hell, and really, really beautiful. I was also impressed that the demo finished downloading on my X1 even though I'd shut the system off at around 59% the night before.

I will say this though; I fired up Forza 5 right afterwards and it was extremely jarring. Night and day in terms of smoothness.

Megasoum

Banned
My first ever preload on xbox. Does it do it automatically, or do I have to do something?

If you bought the game you can go in your "My games and apps" section, in the game tabs scroll all the way to the right and you will see the game in the "Ready to install" list. Hit that and it will download.

hwy_61

Banned
I don't know if this was a thing in the first game, but last night while playing in the online free roam mode, this guy ran into my Audi a few times, and broke it! I had the right trigger pressed all the way, and it was barely going 20 MPH. It was pretty hilarious.

I'm very excited for this. Now I can't decide whether or not its worth getting the $100 version.

Naked Lunch

I never played FH1 but I loved this demo. It gave me Outrun2 vibes. I like the varied music too. Music is important to me for racers - one of the big reasons I dont play Forza 5 often is I never liked the soundtrack.

shandy706

So I had my first "Oh @#$@#!" moment last night...had to find it in my videos.

I lost control while hitting some grass coming off a road. I caught a glimpse of two close trees incoming at like 100mph...aaaaaaaaaaaaand...near perfectly split them while sideways. LOL

Happens so fast I had to slow the .gif down.

iAwylrHpyIgas.gif

I fully expected my car to be completely destroyed in that split second. Just lost a headlight and took some bark off.

Full speed.
iopXkOiiGXDKE.gif

Megasoum

Banned
So I had my first "Oh @#$@#!" moment last night...had to find it in my videos.

I lost control while hitting some grass coming off a road. I caught a glimpse of two close trees incoming at like 100mph...aaaaaaaaaaaaand...near perfectly split them while sideways. LOL

Happens so fast I had to slow the .gif down.

iAwylrHpyIgas.gif

I fully expected my car to be completely destroyed in that split second. Just lost a headlight and took some bark off.

Holy shit lol

What difficulty do you guys play on? I tend to stick with normal and average for the driveatars.

I'd never really bothered with racing games until last generation, so I'm not exceptional at them. Sure, I played the odd Gran Turismo before that, but they were hard af.

I do pretty well, though, and have continually gotten better. I'm winning most races without issue.

p3tran

Banned
Fuck it, I'm buying an xbone.
Congrats T10 and playground, I'm giving in.

amalfi will be happy.

Fucking finally!

By the way, anyone know what happened to Mascot?
I thought he would be up in this thread.

mascot is looking to virtual racing I think, so he will take his time ogling in googles before he comes to senses is my guess.
seanspeed is the other dude still missing. Sean, you got dat pc already. how about jumping in some games for a change? ;ppPPpp

Top Bottom