• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

Gestault

So, what everybody's strategy for car upgrades with these games? Stick with one car and upgrade the shit out of it? Use the initial crappy car and ditch it quick for something cooler? What? I wanna know.

There's no shortage of money for cars, if you're sort of planning it out, but in terms of upgrade strategy?

Go heavy into weight and brake upgrades, and give the engine better performance through improved aspiration. Don't worry about straight-up engine upgrades unless you need to jump a few classes. Always use at least racing-class tire material. When you can ride deep into a turn before safely decelerating, you get better positions when you start accelerating during the second half. Unless the track is heavy on straightaways, I set up my gear ratios to give an initial advantage in launch/acceleration.

Hip Hop

You were able to get any game free with a new console (I actually took advantage of the deal and got the Madden Bundle and a copy of Diablo 3 all for $400)

and If some people didn't care about two games, they could have sold them and brought down the price even further. That was the time to jump in definitely.

Cheddahz

Banned
I think this deal was US only - where was this valid?

Oh wait, you're not in the US? Sorry about that (just figured you were, due to the currency in your screenshot)!

EDIT: ...and of course, I didn't even see "Canada" at the top of the screenshot. Yeah, I mean, if you know you'll be playing games for it, then go for it!

Oh wait, you're not in the US? Sorry about that (just figured you were, due to the currency in your screenshot)!

All good! Yeah, I'm in Canada. We rarely get the awesome promotions that the US does :( our games are also $69.99...

Edit: But at least it's not Australia ;D

VinFTW

I'm so fucking excited...

The demo BLEW me away. I can't wait to just drive, endlessly.

I honestly believe this is Xbox One's killer app this year.

Something to note is that the 360 version has slightly different achievements:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst21154_Forza-Horizon-2---Achievement-List.aspx

If the xboxachievements.com list is correct, here are the differences in Achievements between each version:

Xbox One only:
Rain Master (first race in the rain)
Multi-Disciplined (win an event in every type of car)
Horizon Leader (choose the Road Trip destination)
Photographer (Horizon Promo photos)
Team Player (win 50 team events)
We Meet Again! (win a Showdown at every Car Meet)
Super Meet Boy (use each feature of a Car Meet)
One Down! (complete a Solo Bucket List challenge)

Xbox 360 only:
Driver For Hire (first sponsorship bonus)
Sellout (every sponsorship bonus)
Roadtripper (complete all 3 Road Trips)
Freeroaming Buddies (join an Online Freeroam with a friend)

One/360 Variances:
Horizon Fan/Journeyman (25 Championships vs all events at 1 Destination)
Horizon Enthusiast/Master (100 Championships vs. all events at 3 Destinations)
All Your Race Are Belong to Us (168 Championships vs. every event at the Horizon Festival)
Wristbands (Yellow/Green/Pink/Purple/Gold vs Yellow/Blue/Purple/Bronze/Gold)
Worthy of a Sultan (175 cars vs garage value of 20 million credits)
License to Skill/Skilful (5 Skill Points vs 10 Skill Points)
Stone Cold Skiller/The Chosen One (65 Skill Points vs. 109 Skill Points)
Bragging Rights/The Flashed and Furious (Beat 20 speed camera friends vs. 20 cameras >100mph)
Kick the Bucket/Throw Down the Gauntlet (15 Solo Bucket List items vs. 10 Bucket List Stunts)
Loyal/Team Mates (500,000 XP for your Club vs. join a Club)
Storage Hunter (10 Barn Finds vs. 5 Barn Finds)
(Some achievements have the same requirement but different names. Multiple achievements also vary in gamerpoints, the largest being 10 vs 50 points for Human GPS)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Kind of an impulse buy but I want to be ready for this game. What do you guys think?

ibmbW1uYJh4JW2.png

After playing the demo this game is honestly a system seller for me. Plus there are enough other exclusives to make it worthwhile.

arhra

Found another archived livestream while poking around on youtube, albeit one with what's apparently Hungarian commentary. Shows off some gameplay with the Lamborghini Urus, the LaFerrari, the Donkervoort D8 GTO, and the Corvette Stingray.

Also shows a glimpse of how the different events are organized and classified, which I don't think I've seen before:

1AWy72R.jpg

After playing the demo this game is honestly a system seller for me. Plus there are enough other exclusives to make it worthwhile.

Ehhhh debatable for me, I don't plan on using the system much but impulse buys aren't always logical. I kind of just want it so I can say I have it. Might pick up Sunset Overdrive though if it gets good reviews.

arhra

Very Forza 5-like.

The original wasn't set out like that was it?

The original had event-specific car restrictions (ie, "only '80s european 4WDs") along with performance class limits, rather than the themed championships.

Also, the guy playing on that stream goes through his garage to pick out cars a few times, and a bunch more of the car classes are visible:

classic racers
super gt
sports saloons
sports cars
group b monsters
gt cars
sports utility heroes
super saloons
retro saloons
modern muscle
etc

Bgamer90

Banned
I would never buy a system just for one game but Forza Horizon 2 is more "system-seller quality" than Forza Motorsport 5 is IMO. Great looking game and has a whole lot of content; Can see myself playing Horizon 2 for many months (unlike Forza 5; 2-3 months).

Gestault

That setup for how race events are organized is almost exactly like the Forza 5 setup, which I liked quite a bit. Having the "story" events basically highlighted through radio stations/headset calls/map highlights and having the side-events organized through that setup makes a lot of sense to me.

Also, having the cost of the vehicles act as a make-shift "exp barrier" for side-events is a structure I like.

Actually, the image shows the ten "big" groups, each one has several sub-groups.

For example, supercars has modern supercars, retro supercars and hypercars.

jem0208

Very Forza 5-like.

The original wasn't set out like that was it?

Nope, the original was a bit of a mess in this regard actually.

I didn't really like how we were given a big pile of seemingly random events every time we leveled up. This way is far more organised which is nice.

zorbsie

I'm late to this thread, but great stuff on the OT! Can't wait for this to come out. Destiny will be put to bed after I get going with this game.

hawk2025

I would never buy a system just for one game but Forza Horizon 2 is more "system-seller quality" than Forza Motorsport 5 is IMO. Great looking game and has a whole lot of content; Can see myself playing Horizon 2 for many months (unlike Forza 5; 2-3 months).

I agree, it has a much more universal, exploration-based bend to it that really increases the universal appeal, IMO.

The really solid soundtrack also helps a ton, I think.

Edit: I believe you guys are underestimating just how much critics seem to be enjoying the game. I can easily see it going above and beyond the original's 85 and creeping into 90, even. But it's really hard to be objective under my hype :p

I'm gonna guess the metacritic score: 88.
Exactly what I'd guess too. Better than the previous game, but enough to still upset racing reviewers at outlets like Polygon and Quarter to Three because its not Forza Motorsport enough or likewise that it takes itself too seriously and isn't arcade enough. And then of course the festival atmosphere and cut-scenes just rub some folks the wrong way.

Of course this is purely gut based guesstimation that has only slightly more rational basis then huffing gas and stumbling upon numbered squares while blindfolded.

Regardless, if its like the first game or better it'll be one of the best racers ever made, whatever the aggregate scores say. This shit should not be missed.

hawk2025

The next step needed for the series is to make a proper spiritual sequel to Beetle Adventure Racing, but using all they've learned from Horizon 2! :D

Gestault

I can honestly say, I'm invested enough into my enjoyment of this game that I'll be more annoyed than usual if I see reviews that come off as poorly written (not necessarily just negative, but saying things that aren't accurate, or are just arbitrarily critical of a style).

I remember I was annoyed at the IGN review of the original Lost Planet because it made several specific (and specifically inaccurate) claims about the reticle and aiming as specifics for why they disliked it. If a review notes that there isn't an option for something in a game, it deserves to be called out if it's clearly on the in-game option screen. End rant.

hawk2025

I can honestly say, I'm invested enough into my enjoyment of this game that I'll be more annoyed than usual if I see reviews that come off as poorly written (not necessarily just negative, but saying things that aren't accurate, or are just arbitrarily critical of a style).

I remember I was annoyed at the IGN review of the original Lost Planet because it made several specific (and specifically inaccurate) claims about the reticle and aiming as specifics for why the disliked it. If a review notes that there isn't an option for something in a game, it deserves to be called out if it's clearly on the in-game option screen. End rant.

hahahah, try being like me, a fan of Lost Planet 3, and reading reviews of it after the fact.

It was bizarre.

For this one, I can almost see the reviews for this game being heavily skewed by the "festival" atmosphere. It really, really rubbed me the wrong way with the first game as well, but I've managed to overlook it and I'll just be skipping any and all cutscenes or story-related content that even come close to mentioning the word "wristband", or how exciting it is that I "must race for the last available wristband, because reasons!" -- but a lot of people just take the whole thing as a package and won't be lenient on this; IF, of course, the festival setup is as obnoxious as the first game's. I'm also hoping that they manage to make it a bit more compelling this time around as a whole once we get deeper into the game.

Gestault

hahahah, try being like me, a fan of Lost Planet 3, and reading reviews of it after the fact.

It was bizarre.

For this one, I can almost see the reviews for this game being heavily skewed by the "festival" atmosphere. It really, really rubbed me the wrong way with the first game as well, but I've managed to overlook it and I'll just be skipping any and all cutscenes or story-related content that even come close to mentioning the word "wristband", or how exciting it is that I "must race for the last available wristband, because reasons!" -- but a lot of people just take the whole thing as a package and won't be lenient on this; IF, of course, the festival setup is as obnoxious as the first game's. I'm also hoping that they manage to make it a bit more compelling this time around as a whole once we get deeper into the game.

If the festival feels like it's "trying too hard," I think it would be fair game to lay into. From everything in the demo except the intro video, I like to think it stays unobtrusive enough. I do like the idea of the progression being as much about the "roadtrip" that runs parallel to the festival by the drivers hired to race for the events. Beside that though, the intro video was totally a woman giving the player ecstasy to put under their tongue. Being skippable would go a long way to quell people's annoyances.

Deception

It was bizarre.

I actually really like the festival setup makes more sense than randomly driving around for no reason. But I can see what you mean.

Top Bottom