• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

jcutner

Finally got this game over the weekend, and joined the GAF car club!

Does anyone have a clear path in how they proceed in this game? I find I'm just doing random events on the map, or trying to find mystery locations. Have you guys figured a more logistical systematic way to proceed? Or is it up to me how to tackle it?

danowat

Banned

Does anyone have a clear path in how they proceed in this game? I find I'm just doing random events on the map, or trying to find mystery locations. Have you guys figured a more logistical systematic way to proceed? Or is it up to me how to tackle it?

That's basically it, it's all very free form.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I find myself just logging in, using Anna to direct me to whatever and chipping away. Does a solid job keeping variety shifting in my experience and unless Anna is sending me across the map, I will manually choose something closer, but rarely do ever open the large map up.

First car pack details supposedly leaked, car names in spoiler:

Aston Vulcan, BMW M2, Huayra BC, GTA Spano, Crown Vic, Jeep CJ5 Renegade and Lotus 340R

XShagrath

It's probably not the most optimal, but I try to complete a section before moving on. So I'll complete all of the available races, and then hit up any roads I haven't fully explored yet and grab the billboards and beauty spots. I know I'll end up going back to that area once I level up and unlock more stuff, but that's just how my brain likes to work with open world games.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

That's basically it, it's all very free form.

Honestly I was wondering the same thing. I was afraid I was missing something. Now that I know that there's no critical path I'm fucking up it is a great game to just sit back, chill with a podcast or audiobook, shut down some of the ol' brain, and just zone out to. It's easy when the core gameplay is this damned good.

danowat

Banned
Honestly I was wondering the same thing. I was afraid I was missing something. Now that I know that there's no critical path I'm fucking up it is a great game to just sit back, chill with a podcast or audiobook, shut down some of the ol' brain, and just zone out to. It's easy when the core gameplay is this damned good.

It does seem that a lot of people can't get their head around just how freeform it is, now whether that's because we're all so predisposed with having a determined path, or that people just don't like having so much choice, I don't know.

jcutner

It does seem that a lot of people can't get their head around just how freeform it is, now whether that's because we're all so predisposed with having a determined path, or that people just don't like having so much choice, I don't know.

It could be that. After playing linear games, then jumping back into Forza - it seems a little frenetic to jump all over the place

phant0m

We are at 900ish people in the car club. Was going to lock up the club on Friday, but might do it earlier then that now. After we lock the car club, it will be invite only. The spreadsheet only has 360 people on it. I figure there is a lot of folks who joined that are not GAFers. Especially considering how many messages I've got about where to find the OT or what is an OT, etc. So if you are in the car club and not on the spreadsheet, do yourself a favour and add yourself to it. I'll be kicking people who are both inactive and not on the list. Not everyone, want to keep about 100 free slots for people that come to the game a little later.

Need a link to the spreadsheet? Quote this post.

Added. Thanks!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

I think it can be a bit daunting. I've been playing through Bioshock, partially with my oldest daughter, lately. While I play we've been sitting and discussing
the illusion of player agency in gaming. You know the whole "Would you kindly...?" business. How we're largely led down the primrose path by the developer while we assume we're captaining the boat all along.

While I think Bioshock has REALLY held up I'm seeing really how almost on-rails the game is. Your movements are very limited, which is largely required to keep the storytelling tight. It really makes for a tense experience for me. When I've got real-life shit happening and can't give the game 100% attention I won't even attempt to play it. I've been waking up hours early for work, sometimes at 3am, to put in some time with it.

FH3 is like the total opposite. Anything important you have going on in this game is going to be over in maybe fifteen minutes. Over and done. At that point there's no real pressure to move on at all, and you can just dick around the Australian countryside if you wish, or choose to enjoy another bite-sized gameplay bit. The developers honestly don't seem to give a damn as long as you are having fun. The game rewards everything in some way.

If someone walks into the room you can have a conversation or whatever. No biggie. I find it to be a great palate cleanser beside some of the heavy narrative experiences I've been playing lately.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Damn, the pillock in the garage took forever to restore the last barn find. What was he doing?

Which one? Because they're all random when you find them, I believe. For example: The last cars I found were the Reliant and the Holden HQ.

The Ferrari and the Maserati took the longest to restore.

danowat

Banned
I think it can be a bit daunting. I've been playing through Bioshock, partially with my oldest daughter, lately. While I play we've been sitting and discussing
the illusion of player agency in gaming. You know the whole "Would you kindly...?" business. How we're largely led down the primrose path by the developer while we assume we're captaining the boat all along.

While I think Bioshock has REALLY held up I'm seeing really how almost on-rails the game is. Your movements are very limited, which is largely required to keep the storytelling tight. It really makes for a tense experience for me. When I've got real-life shit happening and can't give the game 100% attention I won't even attempt to play it. I've been waking up hours early for work, sometimes at 3am, to put in some time with it.

FH3 is like the total opposite. Anything important you have going on in this game is going to be over in maybe fifteen minutes. Over and done. At that point there's no real pressure to move on at all, and you can just dick around the Australian countryside if you wish, or choose to enjoy another bite-sized gameplay bit. The developers honestly don't seem to give a damn as long as you are having fun. The game rewards everything in some way.

If someone walks into the room you can have a conversation or whatever. No biggie. I find it to be a great palate cleanser beside some of the heavy narrative experiences I've been playing lately.

It's refreshing, and (even though I didn't like it) probably one of the reasons why No Man's Sky has it's fans, as it's quite similar from a gameplay point of view (although for me the actual game part is much more satisfying).

For me, it's ideal, I like pick up and play, bite sized gaming that I can drop, I don't want to be told, I've got to race this, this and this, in this car, that car and that car, that's one of the reasons why FM6 was such a turn off.

It's one of the reasons why I like the special events in Assetto Corsa, they are to, bite sized chunks of gaming that you can pick and choose from, without having to worry about following a narrative path.

As far as I am concerned, I hope FM7 follows the same route, I think the days of a load of dry events, that follow a particular path, for no particular reason other than it's the usual route of racing games is over, give us the control of what we want to race, how and where and for how long, our do a career properly and give us a reason why we are racing these events in the way we are doing them.

FH3 has got it so, so right, and the handling model is perfect for this type of game.

Dave_6

Added myself to the sheet, though I added myself to the GAF club the other night when prompted in-game, lol. Only around level 20 as I haven't had much time to play unfortunately.

It's refreshing, and (even though I didn't like it) probably one of the reasons why No Man's Sky has it's fans, as it's quite similar from a gameplay point of view (although for me the actual game part is much more satisfying).

For me, it's ideal, I like pick up and play, bite sized gaming that I can drop, I don't want to be told, I've got to race this, this and this, in this car, that car and that car, that's one of the reasons why FM6 was such a turn off.

It's one of the reasons why I like the special events in Assetto Corsa, they are to, bite sized chunks of gaming that you can pick and choose from, without having to worry about following a narrative path.

As far as I am concerned, I hope FM7 follows the same route, I think the days of a load of dry events, that follow a particular path, for no particular reason other than it's the usual route of racing games is over, give us the control of what we want to race, how and where and for how long, our do a career properly and give us a reason why we are racing these events in the way we are doing them.

FH3 has got it so, so right, and the handling model is perfect for this type of game.

Eh, this is where I will have to disagree. I think the system works great with a game like Horizon but I think the Motorsports series needs to figure out how to do their career in a way that is both structured enough to give you a feel a progress and interesting enough for you to want to continue to do it.

It might be nostalgia but I seem to remember Forza 4 as having one of the better Careers we have see in FM, although thats not saying a whole lot. For as much as I love the Forza games, their career modes have all been lackluster.

danowat

Banned
Eh, this is where I will have to disagree. I think the system works great with a game like Horizon but I think the Motorsports series needs to figure out how to do their career in a way that is both structured enough to give you a feel a progress and interesting enough for you to want to continue to do it.

It might be nostalgia but I seem to remember Forza 4 as having one of the better Careers we have see in FM, although thats not saying a whole lot. For as much as I love the Forza games, their career modes have all been lackluster.

If I remember correctly, FM4 was a little more free form?, did it not give you three options at the juncture of each completed event, and then allow you to select from a massive events board?

FM5 and 6 careers were terrible, they really need to do something new for the next one.

If I remember correctly, FM4 was a little more free form?, did it not give you three options at the juncture of each completed event, and then allow you to select from a massive events board?

FM5 and 6 careers were terrible, they really need to do something new for the next one.

Yeah, the choices of the races were more free form but the actual races had a nice structered feel to them. And didn't it have some kind of progression beyond that too? It's been a while since I have touched it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yes, that is correct.

And that board was MASSIVE, almost twice the amount as F3. F4 is my favorite of them but I couldn't find the time to actually finish it all.

KevinG

Got this with the Target glitch on Friday, and have put an hour or so in already.

Just drove off road in my starter BMW, straight north until I hit the edge of the map.

Holy hell, what a blast.

For some reason achievements don't pop up when I play on PC, is there an easy fix to this? I see that I get the achievements but they don't show me during the game when I get them.

Hugstable

Banned
Added my info to the spreadsheet, just started playing this more today. This game is so beautiful, though I need to learn how to use Photo Mode better. Loving the handling so far of the cars I've driven. Did a few of the Bucket List challenges too and those were really fun.

T_Exige

Am I the only one that likes to drive the slower cars before I go to a Ferrari/McLaren etc.
Got a Regera but haven't touched it yet ...

Running around in the Lotus Elise has been fun ^_^

KevinG

I'm wanting to install this on my work PC, but the storage on My Apps and Games says I'm using 80 GB and I only calculate about 2-3 GB being used.

Tried googling this issue, to no avail.

marrec

Banned
We are at 900ish people in the car club. Was going to lock up the club on Friday, but might do it earlier then that now. After we lock the car club, it will be invite only. The spreadsheet only has 360 people on it. I figure there is a lot of folks who joined that are not GAFers. Especially considering how many messages I've got about where to find the OT or what is an OT, etc. So if you are in the car club and not on the spreadsheet, do yourself a favour and add yourself to it. I'll be kicking people who are both inactive and not on the list. Not everyone, want to keep about 100 free slots for people that come to the game a little later.

Need a link to the spreadsheet? Quote this post.

Thanks for the heads up.

PSA for PC players:

If a load time is longer than usual, press the windows key.

This mostly works for race/bucket list restarts and getting inside the festival garage.

Finally got myself in the spreadsheet after finally unlocking clubs last night, and joining in-game. If anyone wants to play sometime, I'm BlastoTheHanar on XBL!

terrible

Banned
Am I the only one that likes to drive the slower cars before I go to a Ferrari/McLaren etc.

Other than the HE Jaguar for XP runs I've barely used anything above A Class so far.

FML

GqAjCeS.gif

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'm loving it! No getting frustrated slogging through races/cars I don't enjoy just to progress.

I can just pop on and do whatever I feel like. It has me finally being happy I have a racing wheel setup that had prior been a hugely expensive regretted purchase as I struggled to really get into any current racing games for more than a few days.

witness

I love A/B/C cars, with B class probably being my favorite. I usually keep all of these cars that start off this way in the same class or just bumping them up one class. I don't think I've raised any car up to S+ through modding. I love the modding but I like to keep the cars "character" from the factory. Though something like the Torana, Silvia, or GT86 I'm going to significantly upgrade because that upgrading is part of the culture around the car. A/B/C cars are just so much more fun for me to drive, and are my sweet spot in the Horizon games.

The Horizon edition GT-R is a beast. I've upgraded it to the max and it is so fast off the line that I overtake most of the cars by the first turn. I tuned it a little so I can take the turns better and now I have been wining most online races. I need to jump into a GAF race to see how it handles with the hardcore Forza crowd. Now if I could only win the HE of the Huracan.

louiedog

The Horizon edition GT-R is a beast. I've upgraded it to the max and it is so fast off the line that I overtake most of the cars by the first turn. I tuned it a little so I can take the turns better and now I have been wining most online races. I need to jump into a GAF race to see how it handles with the hardcore Forza crowd. Now if I could only win the HE of the Huracan.

Still bitter

Raven77

Anyone know of a quick way to reset car damage (not just cosmetic)? In free roam if you really F up your car you have to pause, go to options, disable damage and then re enable it. It's not a huge deal but it is kind of annoying.

Dave_6

Are HE cars not available to drop from wheelspins until a certain level? I can't really complain about my wheelspins so far since I've had three $200K ones drop but I've only gotten two regular cars so far.

danowat

Banned
Anyone know of a quick way to reset car damage (not just cosmetic)? In free roam if you really F up your car you have to pause, go to options, disable damage and then re enable it. It's not a huge deal but it is kind of annoying.

Photomode and reset damage?

Stevey

Why even have it on in the first place?

DirtyLarry

This is how I approached the game up until the past weekend.
Now I am utilizing the Filter function in the map almost all of the time. I just use it to Filter for either Championships or Night Races, and take it from there. I am currently at a point I need to do a few more head to heads before my next Street Races get unlocked though. So just driving around doing them right now.

But the Filter for the map is your friend. No doubt.

Top Bottom