• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

Noobcraft

I don't know if it's a preview thing but I just went to the "Update" tab and it was there.
Almost won the Mini Cooper HE on my first spin lol.

Edit: Won the BAC Mono HE. Thing looks legit!

Edit2: also won the Countach HE lol.

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

updating on PC now, was just clicking away at on the standard edition (windows store) where is says "owned" and clicked the game again and this time it said update instead of play.

edit- and it's flying, 1gb out of 1.6 in about a minute! :D

Spasm

Good news, FFB definitely feels a lot stronger on tarmac.

Bad news, e-brake on clutch pedal still doesn't work. Still can't use LSB/RSB buttons, no way to honk horn on G920. Back/Select button still doesn't work as quick map button if you're using manual trans. Maybe next patch, PG?

psychotron

XB1 just updated. Game stuttered ten minutes in after hitting a tree. I'll try more tomorrow but I'm disappointed Playground. You need to remove it from the patch notes if it's still not fixed.

rjcc

The update is supposed to go live any time now right?

Update: I got it to start updating through my games and apps. 203.91 MB

ugh, I just tried to launch it and it's downloading at 100Kb/s. Not a typo.

I usually get 70Mb/s down from XBL, I assume the servers are swamped, but c'mon

...and suddenly it installed while I wasn't looking, nvm.

_woLf

Wooo, I got the BAC Mono HE :)

Does anyone have any tips to find routes that you haven't driven for completion?

I am missing 4, but I can't see any grey roads and I've looked over the map over and over..

Gestault

Servers are definitely swamped, though I'm updating the XB1 and PC version at the same time, which is probably unwise on my connection, lol

Yo, those are great shots, Noob.

Hip Hop

Servers are definitely swamped, though I'm updating the XB1 and PC version at the same time, which is probably unwise on my connection, lol
Yeah, lol

I think the Microsoft Store on PC goes for your full speed, throttling anything else using the internet.

terrible

Banned
I don't know if it's a preview thing but I just went to the "Update" tab and it was there.
Almost won the Mini Cooper HE on my first spin lol.

Edit: Won the BAC Mono HE. Thing looks legit!

Edit2: also won the Countach HE lol.

Screenshot-Original.png

Damn, I don't get those "friendX won" spins anymore. I thought it was patched out or something because of that. Those always have an HE car available which basically doubles the amount of times you can win one.

With that said I had around 100 banked spins and won the Corvette and more importantly the 22B which was the main HE car I wanted. Sweeeeet.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
tUCOZcm.gif

My first spin after the update.

I tried a bunch more but struck out. I will get that 22B if it is the last thing I do.

Man I hate not being able to play this game as much as I want, and its only going to get worse. Retail sucks, FML.

And I just spent 2 milion on a Shelby, I need more hours in the day :'(

RawNuts

If I keep my Xbox offline to dodge the update, I'm guessing that I can still exploit the drift taps and then grab the update and have a ton of spins ready for it?

eek5

Does anyone have any tips to find routes that you haven't driven for completion?

I am missing 4, but I can't see any grey roads and I've looked over the map over and over..

I heard if you turn brightness down (on xbox) you can still see the grey roads. I took screenshots on PC and looked for the color e3e3e3 iirc to find mine.

If I keep my Xbox offline to dodge the update, I'm guessing that I can still exploit the drift taps and then grab the update and have a ton of spins ready for it?

Yeah that should work. I had to restart to pick up the update.

Having played for a fair few hours now, I can't help but feel reviewers completely lost the plot when awarding this game near perfect and perfect scores. There are areas where the game is almost overwhelmingly impressive - but its failings are readily apparent and get in the way of what is in many ways a really god game.

The Checkpoint System
Why? I can see that this game has a fundamental need for some mechanic to prevent people just driving in a straight line from one place to another in races, but the checkpoint system is such a bore. The checkpoints are too narrow, and when racing nearby others its easy to end up being pushed or simply hit into a position where you miss the checkpoint. The worst thing is that the checkpoints will even punish you for taking the slower line. Slightly screw up a corner and end up a metre on the outside of a checkpoint? Well prepare for even more punishment.

Why are they -so- punishing? Missing a checkpoint can be utterly lethal to your chances. It takes a couple of seconds for it to start counting down, three more for it to reset you, and then you end up way further back and starting at 0 mph. Online, where people will happily and purposefully push you out of the way, this is absolute nonsense and totally game breaking. It's all very well to advertise the importance of racing clean but it's pretty obvious the game has no idea if you are racing cleanly or not and even more clear that nobody cares one way or another.

I don't think checkpoints are a terrible idea, but there are too many and they are too punishing when you miss them (or are forced to miss them). It would also be nice to see more variety in race types. I loved Burnout Paradise's races where you'd be given a reasonably small number of checkpoints and allowed to take your own route. Forza Horizon's, comparatively, is a tedious constraint to fix the issues created by having a game where there is little bonus to driving on tarmac, and it's not a remotely worthwhile tradeoff.

The random immovable trees

There's nothing quite like driving through things in this game. It's a significant scoring mechanic and it just feels right. That's with the exception of the 10% of trees that are as hard as bricks and will stop your car dead regardless of how fast you travel into it. It's absolutely horrible and completely inconsistent, and makes it feel like the game both wants, and doesn't want you to take shortcuts across the environment. It's fine to have the trees slowing you down when you smash them, as happens with many of the heavier objects in the game, and if I'm moving slowly it's fine to have the object stop me entirely, but when two pretty similar looking trees effect you completely differently it just feels bad.

The Online Adventure XP Championship

Lol. Who thought this was a good idea? All of last night I was watching as the people racing lost out to a moron who didn't give a damn and just drifted left, right, left, right down the straight ending up doubling or tripling the score of the winner. The game tells you to race fast, clean, and skillfully but seems to put the most weight on 'skillful' driving, which is total nonsense anyway, and the least on speed and placing. What kind of racing game is this, in all honesty? It's also eminently clear that people are doing this, not so much to win, but to boost their stats. Unbelievably lame, but when you design a game mode this thoughtlessly, what do you expect?

The Online Is 50% Waiting

How long does one spend staring at their car as the camera whizzes around it? How long does one spend staring at the leaderboard or a menu, or their damned rewards that the game takes ages to give out every damned time? I want to drive, I want to race, I want to drift and jump and buy cars and upgrade them and tune them. Instead, the presentation seems set up so you spend as much time waiting without any interaction as you do anything actually fun.

Confused Direction

This is the second Forza Horizon game I've played and I still don't feel like Playground, Turn10 and Microsoft know what they're trying to create, which is weird for the third game in a roundly successful franchise. The whole festival thing feels half baked and more of an annoyance than anything engaging, little more than arbitrary points on the map where you go to get a new car or upgrade an old one.

As impressive as the game is in many ways, I find it a little hard to reconcile the idea that this is some great marvel when it is bettered in so, so many ways by the much older Burnout Paradise. The game feels constantly at odds with itself, and tries to do too much. It simultaneously rewards you and pats you on the head for everything you do, amazed at the way you side-swiped that road-sign, but it's also a game which will reward you for tweaking your front wheel camber. Please, Playground, choose one or the other. Stop trying to be everything to everyone, you're not pulling it off.

These complaints are so on point, and I think you put it perfectly when you said Horizon 3 constantly feels at odds with itself. But of all the things I find issues with, the waiting and the unbreakable trees are among the most annoying. Sometimes when you join a lobby, you can find yourself waiting 5-10 minutes before you actually start racing ( waiting for an event to finish, then driving to the next one, then waiting for the race to load ).To make matters worse, you can't even tell what the next event is or what set of activities the lobby is engaged in. So you can do all of that waiting, just to find that the next event is a minigame or something you want nothing to do with, and essentially waste up to 10 minutes of your free time.

The Online Is 50% Waiting

How long does one spend staring at their car as the camera whizzes around it? How long does one spend staring at the leaderboard or a menu, or their damned rewards that the game takes ages to give out every damned time? I want to drive, I want to race, I want to drift and jump and buy cars and upgrade them and tune them. Instead, the presentation seems set up so you spend as much time waiting without any interaction as you do anything actually fun.

Yeah this, I still dont get how in this is still an issue in modern games.

Also, why do I need to vote and wait for all the ppl to choose cars and sync after a set of events if I want to quit?

Dude, if you find them then let me know. I am also only missing 4 and I have no idea where they are.

RawNuts

I don't really understand the complaints about the trees, if you cut a big turn by going through the woods, I would expect some risk to come with that reward. I also find it more rewarding when you cut through the trees knowing that there is such a heavy penalty for wrong moves; Horizon 2 made you feel like a total badass in this regard, but it's far more forgiving in 3. I'm just glad that aspect is still there at all, the amount of things you can smash through in this one is a bit ridiculous.

louiedog

I don't really understand the complaints about the trees, if you cut a big turn by going through the woods, I would expect some risk to come with that reward. I also find it more rewarding when you cut through the trees knowing that there is such a heavy penalty for wrong moves; Horizon 2 made you feel like a total badass in this regard, but it's far more forgiving in 3. I'm just glad that aspect is still there at all, the amount of things you can smash through in this one is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, I also don't understand the tree complaint. Maybe it's because I'm on PC so they load in with more detail faster, but I don't have any trouble seeing an indestructible tree coming in plenty of time. How able I am to avoid them depends on what I'm driving, but it's never a surprise or anything and with anything good on dirt I can generally weave my way through without issue.

This game really needs a rear-view mirror.

And also maybe let your place in the starting grid during championships be determined by your performance in the last race because the rubber-banding can be ridiculous.

terrible

Banned
At the start when I wasn't able to easily tell the difference between the trees you could or couldn't drive through I thought it was a bit lame but now that I can tell the difference I'm cool with it.

Bravoexo

Dude, if you find them then let me know. I am also only missing 4 and I have no idea where they are.

Some things I had to find/look at when I had the same problem.

- Check just south of the Pink Lakes (near the barn find there)
- Around the Festival Grounds
- Area where the first Showcase event was at
- Small driveways leading to some house in both Outback (south of the airport) and Rainforest area

HTH

LOZLINK

Anyone know how to check xp progress til next level on the menu. I was told the bar next to your rank fills up, but no luck so far

KRaZyAmmo

So downloaded new patch and it went off without a hitch. I got some improvements in some areas. As for wheelspins...I got the 22B and Metro 6R4 HE in my many saved up wheel spins.

xrnzaaas

Nice idea about exchanging cars, I predict we'll see old HE cars getting really high prices in the Auction House. And it looks like I should take interest in paid wheelspins. I've been ignoring this feature up till now. :)

Klocker

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the 22b doesn't feel like a drift car but maybe I need to push it to an S because didn't have enough power to weight ratio in my opinion

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I've found an XP board on an island, it is surrounded by deep water, cannot drive in it, you just sink and it puts you back on the map.

Any ideas how you get to it? There is no jump long enough as far as I can tell.

If you have a look on your map, it is to the left of where it says Kiewa Valley.

RawNuts

I've found an XP board on an island, it is surrounded by deep water, cannot drive in it, you just sink and it puts you back on the map.

Any ideas how you get to it? There is no jump long enough as far as I can tell.

If you have a look on your map, it is to the left of where it says Kiewa Valley.
There is a land bridge with more shallow water that leads to the island on the west side.

Top Bottom