• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

c0Zm1c

I just wanted the Reliant so I was a bit disappointed with every barn find until it showed up. Pretty sure I yelled "YESSSSSSSSSSSSS" out loud when they opened the door and it was finally the Reliant.

After the fifth barn find I got bored of waiting for the Reliant van and bought one from the auction house instead. Glad I did because I didn't get the Regal until about the thirteenth barn find.

I really would like to see more of these novelty/historical cars in the Horizon games. A Silver Ghost, and other such real vintage vehicles for example.

jesu

Please, Playground, choose one or the other. Stop trying to be everything to everyone, you're not pulling it off.

They kind of are though, people like you that don't like it are in the minority.

As for the trees, it doesn't take long to figure out which are indestructible.
And I'm quite pleased with how the check point system works but if you want something different there is head to head races and convoy races, both types don't use the checkpoint system.

So last week one of my #Forzathon cheevos got stuck in the dreaded 100% locked state.

It just popped, and I got my third horn! I was worried because when the week reset, that cheevo simply disappeared from my list.

I´m 99% sure I´m not getting my Forza rewards for Horizon3 (PC version).

Is this a known issue?

I haven't seen anything here or on FM.net. Rewards are working OK for me.

Daffy Duck

The Checkpoint System
Why? I can see that this game has a fundamental need for some mechanic to prevent people just driving in a straight line from one place to another in races, but the checkpoint system is such a bore. The checkpoints are too narrow, and when racing nearby others its easy to end up being pushed or simply hit into a position where you miss the checkpoint. The worst thing is that the checkpoints will even punish you for taking the slower line. Slightly screw up a corner and end up a metre on the outside of a checkpoint? Well prepare for even more punishment.

Why are they -so- punishing? Missing a checkpoint can be utterly lethal to your chances. It takes a couple of seconds for it to start counting down, three more for it to reset you, and then you end up way further back and starting at 0 mph. Online, where people will happily and purposefully push you out of the way, this is absolute nonsense and totally game breaking. It's all very well to advertise the importance of racing clean but it's pretty obvious the game has no idea if you are racing cleanly or not and even more clear that nobody cares one way or another.

I don't think checkpoints are a terrible idea, but there are too many and they are too punishing when you miss them (or are forced to miss them). It would also be nice to see more variety in race types. I loved Burnout Paradise's races where you'd be given a reasonably small number of checkpoints and allowed to take your own route. Forza Horizon's, comparatively, is a tedious constraint to fix the issues created by having a game where there is little bonus to driving on tarmac, and it's not a remotely worthwhile tradeoff.

This got me good the other night, I got forced out of a checkpoint on a third lap of the goliath grind by the car in 2nd, just after the final bridge section from the city, what happened then is I got reset and had a blackscreen for what felt like 20 seconds then I got put back to the game, by this time I had no chance to catch him up, even though I saw on the mini map the other cars had stopped until I got to a certain point on the road, the thing is the points seem so random as to how close you can go without being classed as missing the point, almost like it's not working 100% of the time.

The penalty for missing them as you say is very severe and I am not sure what caused me to sit at a black screen for so long in that race as normally it's a quick thing.

xrnzaaas

I don't mind the checkpoints myself, however:
a) they are in very tricky places in the illegal night races
b) AI still tends to avoid them sometimes

Dave_6

Got the S14 last night and it's ridiculous with the widebody/drivetrain swap.

Love this game, just wish my luck with the wheelspin RNG was better. I usually get the worst possible drop with them :/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Got the S14 last night and it's ridiculous with the widebody/drivetrain swap.

Love this game, just wish my luck with the wheelspin RNG was better. I usually get the worst possible drop with them :/

I hate that at level 184 or whatever, you can STILL get 2,000cr (4 if VIP) in a wheelspin. It's like getting a ZONK on Let's Make a Deal.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The random immovable trees

There's nothing quite like driving through things in this game. It's a significant scoring mechanic and it just feels right. That's with the exception of the 10% of trees that are as hard as bricks and will stop your car dead regardless of how fast you travel into it. It's absolutely horrible and completely inconsistent, and makes it feel like the game both wants, and doesn't want you to take shortcuts across the environment. It's fine to have the trees slowing you down when you smash them, as happens with many of the heavier objects in the game, and if I'm moving slowly it's fine to have the object stop me entirely, but when two pretty similar looking trees effect you completely differently it just feels bad.

the worst of this is just how little sense with what is breakable and what is not. massive wood telephone poles and metal street lights? smash em! white picket fencing or small cement barriers? nope. i even once ran into a tiny invincible bush as i made my way through the outback.

shandy706

I absolutely HATE drifting...LOL.

I had the problem where I'd rack up insane amounts of points and then get *#(%&@# hit by an AI/traffic and it' would throw me off or fail the challenge.

Hit 44k on my first drift attempt in the Trueno...my first try...and got hit right before the last flag by some jerk AI racers. Spent the next 30min screwing up or geting hit by traffic.

Yeah, I hate drifting....lol. I did finally figure out the trick to it though and got my reward car.

danowat

Banned
I absolutely HATE drifting...LOL.

I had the problem where I'd rack up insane amounts of points and then get *#(%&@# hit by an AI/traffic and it' would throw me off or fail the challenge.

Hit 44k on my first drift attempt in the Trueno...my first try...and got hit right before the last flag by some jerk AI racers. Spent the next 30min screwing up or geting hit by traffic.

Yeah, I hate drifting....lol. I did finally figure out the trick to it though and got my reward car.

Quite why they thought it was a good idea to up the amount of traffic in drift zones is beyond me, it's a lottery.

Rodelero

They kind of are though, people like you that don't like it are in the minority.

Maybe, maybe not. I just feel they'd make a better game if they decided to ratchet the game further towards the arcade side of the spectrum.

As for the trees, it doesn't take long to figure out which are indestructible.
And I'm quite pleased with how the check point system works but if you want something different there is head to head races and convoy races, both types don't use the checkpoint system.

It's reasonably possible to tell which are and aren't at moderate speed but definitely not flat out. It's completely inexcusable either way. It is a game which allows you to smash through pretty much everything and it feels AWESOME... and then you hit one of these random trees and it feels horrible.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't mind the checkpoints myself, however:
a) they are in very tricky places in the illegal night races
b) AI still tends to avoid them sometimes

My brother knocked a cpu car completely out of the way of a checkpoint and the car completely avoided the checkpoint but was never reset back. Just kept on continuing with the race.

Lima

Where the really dropped to the ball again is career progression. This mix of exhibition single races and the championship nonsense is just too confusing and it once again lacks structure. In fact somehow they managed to make it even worse than 2.

Horizon 1 is still the best. Natural progression from slower to faster cars and even the gating of the events with the wristbands fit the festival narrative. I will never understand why they moved away from that.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh3_october_update2

New patch:

Key gameplay changes
  • Horizon Edition cars that boost either Skills or XP no longer provide a benefit in Online Adventure
  • Reduced the amount of XP awarded for banking Skill Chains
  • Added a 30-second cooldown to the Drift Tap Skill
  • Reduced 3-Star score target on the following Drift Zones: Mountain Scramble, Mountain Foot, Reservoir, and Gold Mine
  • Previous Horizon Edition cars removed from Wheelspins; new Horizon Edition cars added. The new HE cars are the BAC Mono Horizon Edition , Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Horizon Edition, Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV Horizon Edition, Mercedes C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series Horizon Edition, MG Metro 6R4 Horizon Edition, MINI Cooper S Horizon Edition, and the Subaru Impreza 22B STi Horizon Edition

RIP BMW M4 HE powerleveling. Also improves PC performance, let's see how that works out.

Noobcraft

New patch:

Key gameplay changes
  • Horizon Edition cars that boost either Skills or XP no longer provide a benefit in Online Adventure
  • Reduced 3-Star score target on the following Drift Zones: Mountain Scramble, Mountain Foot, Reservoir, and Gold Mine
  • Previous Horizon Edition cars removed from Wheelspins; new Horizon Edition cars added. The new HE cars are the BAC Mono Horizon Edition , Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Horizon Edition, Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV Horizon Edition, Mercedes C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series Horizon Edition, MG Metro 6R4 Horizon Edition, MINI Cooper S Horizon Edition, and the Subaru Impreza 22B STi Horizon Edition

RIP BMW M4 HE powerleveling. Also improves PC performance, let's see how that works out.
Nice! Didn't realize HE cars were being swapped out.

Where the really dropped to the ball again is career progression. This mix of exhibition single races and the championship nonsense is just too confusing and it once again lacks structure. In fact somehow they managed to make it even worse than 2.

Horizon 1 is still the best. Natural progression from slower to faster cars and even the gating of the events with the wristbands fit the festival narrative. I will never understand why they moved away from that.

Someone gets it!

It's definitely not worse that 2 however. It does lack structure but it's infinitely better to be able to do what you want, when you want than the structure that was in 2 that was a so, so sucky.

Glad they finally fixed some of the issues with H.E. cars and online.

Also, there are 33 known H.E. cars and only 11 were active before today's patch. I have a feeling that those original 11 will rotate back in at some point.

GHG

New patch:

Key gameplay changes

Fuck. They are removing the drift tap exploit :( . I didn't exploit it nearly enough.

louiedog

Update is around 7 PM Pacific

293fb6767a.png
I think I'll try grinding out some XP with drift taps and save my wheel spins for post patch when those new HE cars are available.

Glad to see they are adding some legs to the game and fixing some exploits.

What is the cool down going to do though? You can still exploit it no? Just takes longer.

Also, when is the first car pack due?

Glad to see they are adding some legs to the game and fixing some exploits.

What is the cool down going to do though? You can still exploit it no? Just takes longer.

Also, when is the first car pack due?

Yes. One of my only complaints with PG/T10 is post-release support. This is so much better.

A delay on drift taps kills wall grinding because you have to do other things to build the multiplier.

First pack was already released this month.

If I wanted to grind to get those HE edition cars today what would be the best way to go about it? I have an XP and Skill boosting car if it makes a difference.

How do I get the S14? I already completed the forzathon challenge.

You should've seen an achievement pop up and/or a little notification at the bottom of the screen from Forzathon. The car will be in your garage. If it isn't, check the Forzathon button on the pause menu and make sure it actually registered your completion.

Glad they finally fixed some of the issues with H.E. cars and online.

Also, there are 33 known H.E. cars and only 11 were active before today's patch. I have a feeling that those original 11 will rotate back in at some point.

Yeah, I am guessing so also. I feel it would be a bit crazy to never have them again. But rotating them is a good idea.

SliChillax

You should've seen an achievement pop up and/or a little notification at the bottom of the screen from Forzathon. The car will be in your garage. If it isn't, check the Forzathon button on the pause menu and make sure it actually registered your completion.
I got the achievement and the it did register the challenge but it's not in my garage.

eek5

The patch sounds amazing. Hopefully they deliver because it seems to have fixes for a lot of complaints people have been having.

for my dudes at work:
Today we are releasing the latest update for Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs. [UPDATE: Please note that this update will be released on Oct. 14 at around 7 p.m. Pacific]. This update includes numerous stability and performance improvements for the game across a variety of Windows 10 PC hardware configurations, as well as fixing numerous gameplay issues to improve game stability on PC. Performance and stability improvements continue to be a top priority for Playground Games and Turn 10, and will also be a focus of future updates as well.

In addition, we have addressed numerous gameplay balance areas in the game and introduced new Horizon Edition cars to the level-up Tombola spins.

Stability
  • Fixed an issue where having a microphone enabled in the game but no speech pack installed would cause the title to crash on Windows 10
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some Windows 10 players when entering Maroondah Road Bucket List event
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some Windows 10 and Xbox One players when joining online Bucket List Blueprint challenges with mismatched DLC
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some Xbox One players when pausing the game
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some players when collecting Loyalty Rewards while in a Convoy
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some players when using the AMD R9 Fury X graphics card on Windows 10
  • Fixed a TDR for Windows 10 players

Performance
  • Players running four-core setups on Windows 10 should see CPU improvements
  • Improved thread layout changes for eight-core setups on Windows 10, resulting in improved performance
  • Improvement to performance in upgrades and tuning screens on Windows 10
  • Fixed a stall when driving in Byron Bay on Windows 10
  • Stall fixed when applying Drivatar liveries while driving on Windows 10
  • Stall fixed when driving in free roam on Xbox One

Wheel Support
  • Improvements to force feedback dead zone and FFB performance when driving on tarmac on both Xbox One and Windows 10
  • Fixed a bug so that wheel button prompts now match the in-game bindings on Windows 10
  • Actions that must be mapped are now identified in the UI and number of actions that must be mapped has been reduced on Windows 10

General Improvements
  • Fix for photo mode being blurry for some Windows 10 players
  • Groove music playback improvements on Xbox One
  • Upgrade basket UI now supports mouse input for Windows 10
  • Fix for bug that prevented Windows 10 players from progressing past the Start screen with no internet connection
  • Added Master Volume option for Windows 10 players
  • Fix to Advanced Camera functionality in left and top views in Paintshop (Xbox One and Windows)
  • Fix to enable Rewind when returning from Co-Op to Solo (Xbox One and Windows)
  • Added option to mute microphones in-game (Xbox One and Windows)
  • Player can now continue driving when fuel runs out (Xbox One and Windows)

Gameplay Changes
  • Fixed an issue where the Perk “The XP Bump” worked in Online Adventure. Now it provides no benefit outside of single player racing
  • Added the name of the current Championship to Car Select in Online Adventure to help players choose a suitable car
  • Horizon Edition cars display the correct bonus for Wheelspins
  • Fixed an issue where the Landmarks stat was incorrectly listed as 21 instead of 19, stopping players reaching 100 percent complete

Also hope the patch brings back stable performance on PC in Surfer's Paradise. I had zero issues in there before the last patch and now it tanks in a few places.

Top Bottom