• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

RedSwirl

I tried out the demo on Windows. I don't know man.

I've basically never played Forza, but I feel kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff this game throws at you. The game looks and controls absolutely terrific, but I feel like there's a bit too much AAA bloat going on here. Everywhere I go experience points and other kind of points are being tossed at me, I can't get a feel for what each kind of event or mode is and how it relates to the game before I'm rushed off to the next one. Maybe it's just because I'm coming in at the third game in a spin-off, but I feel like it could stand to simplify a bit. I felt more comfortable with Forza Apex despite being a lot worse at that game because I can actually follow what's going on. Part of me wants to go back to Horizon 3, but only if there's a way to get the clutter out of the game and just make it about the cars and tracks.

Ag3ntJaded

Neo Member
Was looking at my horizon promo section and noticed this beauty. Proof I did race against it. :) I wonder how good this would be in the snow.

screenshot-originalbdpf0.png

MADE IN MONTREAL QC CANADA!!!

m23

I've basically never played Forza, but I feel kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff this game throws at you. The game looks and controls absolutely terrific, but I feel like there's a bit too much AAA bloat going on here. Everywhere I go experience points and other kind of points are being tossed at me, I can't get a feel for what each kind of event or mode is and how it relates to the game before I'm rushed off to the next one. Maybe it's just because I'm coming in at the third game in a spin-off, but I feel like it could stand to simplify a bit. I felt more comfortable with Forza Apex despite being a lot worse at that game because I can actually follow what's going on. Part of me wants to go back to Horizon 3, but only if there's a way to get the clutter out of the game and just make it about the cars and tracks.

I feel the same way in some respects. The career structure is just here's a bunch of stuff to do, go do it. It just feels off, I don't know.

Seems like most of the AI issues have been ironed out. I love that you can run Goliath now w/o crazy rubber banding or 11 and 12 getting stuck on the rocks or in the trees.

Not really feeling the "AAA bloat" criticism, which implies filler, or the suggestion to "simplify" it.

I do understand some of the progressions structure complaints, but that's not really something you're going to have a handle on after just playing the demo.

Lego Boss

I feel the same way in some respects. The career structure is just here's a bunch of stuff to do, go do it. It just feels off, I don't know.

FH3 is a technical marvel, but l preferred the career structure of the first two games.

Too much UBI-bloat in this one. Still.my GOTY though.

terrible

Banned
Seems like most of the AI issues have been ironed out. I love that you can run Goliath now w/o crazy rubber banding or 11 and 12 getting stuck on the rocks or in the trees.

Not really feeling the "AAA bloat" criticism, which implies filler, or the suggestion to "simplify" it.

I do understand some of the progressions structure complaints, but that's not really something you're going to have a handle on after just playing the demo.

Yeah there's not really any filler, there are just a ton of different races. That's a good thing.

This game IS about cars and tracks. It can get a bit overwhelming at first because of the scale and amount of stuff to do, but after a few hours you should get a grasp of it. You'll learn to differentiate icons for different event types, you'll learn the flow of the game and it will all start making sense.

Fox Mulder

Flag rush is fucking lame. I haul a flag over and goal tending assholes can steal it and sit in the goal ghosted until they score.

Hmm, before I buy, should I expect a sale and/or a bundled expansion to the game this Christmas? Would like to be able to avoid spending full price.

Hmm, before I buy, should I expect a sale and/or a bundled expansion to the game this Christmas? Would like to be able to avoid spending full price.

It's possible that there might be a small discount for base game when expansion pack comes out later this year.

USF

Just curious to know what difficulty
you guys race on in the campaign?

Average
Above Average
Highly Skilled
Expert
Pro

danowat

Banned
Did not add that one thinking it was too much :D

It's not, there isn't really any reason to race on anything but, unless you like winning by a country mile.

You don't need to finish in a certain position to proceed, and the credit reward difference between 1st and 10th isn't much to worry about at all.

So just chuck it on unbeatable and enjoy challenging opposition.

Protip, always tune your car to the top of the class, that way the AI can't have a car that exceeds your cars PI.

Average
Above Average
Highly Skilled
Expert
Pro
I think the game is harder than FH2 which I played on Unbeatable.

In FH3 I played the street races on Highly Skilled. For everything else I switched between Expert and Pro.

Fox Mulder

Average
Above Average
Highly Skilled
Expert
Pro

I just use unbeatable as this campaign sucks and doesn't actually require you to win races or championships. I'll just take the extra money then.

xrnzaaas

I just use unbeatable as this campaign sucks and doesn't actually require you to win races or championships. I'll just take the extra money then.

But how high do you have to finish on Pro or Unbeatable to receive the same amount of credits as for, let's say, winning on Highly Skilled?

The difficulty wouldn't even be an issue if they didn't have such awful rubberbanding in the game. Which is a decision I am not happy about. Forza has always been the one racing game where you didn't have to worry about bullshit AI zooming by you on the last stretch but FH3 has some NFS level fuckery going on at times and its infuriating.

The difficulty wouldn't even be an issue if they didn't have such awful rubberbanding in the game. Which is a decision I am not happy about. Forza has always been the one racing game where you didn't have to worry about bullshit AI zooming by you on the last stretch but FH3 has some NFS level fuckery going on at times and its infuriating.

I feel like the rubber banding issues were fixed. Goliath is where they stood out to me most, and it hasn't happened to me since the last patch.

lem0n

What's the best S998 car for Goliath? I like to run 3 lap races of that in my AWD GTA Spano and while it's amazing to drive, I would like something that reaches max class just in case. My friend uses the Cinque. Other good options?

KRaZyAmmo

What's the best S998 car for Goliath? I like to run 3 lap races of that in my AWD GTA Spano and while it's amazing to drive, I would like something that reaches max class just in case. My friend uses the Cinque. Other good options?

2 of my friends uses the Ford GT HE and they'll be able to get like 9:46 if minimal fuck ups.

But how high do you have to finish on Pro or Unbeatable to receive the same amount of credits as for, let's say, winning on Highly Skilled?

Fast test on Cross City Sprint in Paradise City:

CR bonus was 80% on Highly Skilled and 100% on Unbeatable.

Highly skilled 1st: 13,493
Highly skilled 12th: 12,009

Unbeatable 1st: 14,993
Unbeatable 12th: 13,343

So even if you come in 12th its worth it.

danowat

Banned

1000cr difference between 1st and 12th is ridiculous.

danowat

Banned
Just for some context, this is a point-to-point that takes just over 2 minutes.

The difference is about 11%, so the actual CR difference would be a lot larger for a longer race.
It'll still be 11%, that's not a big jump from last to first, maybe it's conditioning from other games, but the credit rewards in FH3, for non VIPs, is a bit mean.

Shit, seriously? I had no idea there was such a tiny difference between first and last place.
I always knew it wasn't much, but seeing it in text brings home just how little it is!

It'll still be 11%, that's not a big jump from last to first, maybe it's conditioning from other games, but the credit rewards in FH3, for non VIPs, is a bit mean.

Like on Golitah with the CR perk, it's like a difference of 10K CR a lap. 11% or about 1% per place doesn't seem that bad to me.

But overall, I agree with you. With the significant increase to car prices from FH2 to F3, CR earnings for purely racing seem way too low.

danowat

Banned
As for the rubber banding, I think overall it's got better, but for some reason when you get near the end of a race there is always one car that seems to get an unrealistic turn off speed, and shoots off into the distance or catches you from a way back.

MouldyK

Oh geez, the Meyers Manx in Bonnet Cam shows the Reflection in the shine of the Headlights...at like 5fps!

Like a slideshow in my game!

xrnzaaas

Holy hell, I've lost so many credits by playing on lower difficulty settings. ;p At least I'm not that desperate to have a huge collection of cars, because I own about 90% of them in FH2 and there aren't that many brand new models to enjoy in FH3. :)

Let's try this again:
What's the cheapest option for buying Forza Horizon 3 PC code nowadays? And should I look for some Deluxe/Ultimate edition, or is the base version of the game content rich enough for average player?

Should I switch my region in Win10, or should I just get the key on CDkeys for $60?

Oh, and since I'm interested in the expansion(s) with new maps, I would rather save the money, and get them down the line, instad of Deluxe/Ultimate editions... that is, unless Deluxe Edition is really worth additional $15 (is it?).

I started this a few days ago and I've already put in 15 hours. Surprised at how much I'm enjoying just...racing around in events. I love the variety of terrain and the focus on a very distinct set of race types. Reminds me of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010 in a way, especially given the Sega-blue skies that sometimes show up.

It does feel more stretched than Horizon 1 (I didn't play 2), I've only played three showcases at the moment which has surprised me.

I was shocked to find that only 30% of players also chose the Outback as their second festival expansion location, given how the Outback arguably offers some interesting new environments to race in.

One thing that I don't like so much is how progression is mostly just tied to doing things, most race events that you'll enter are exhibitions where finishing in a fairly low rank will still net you enough fans to expand and be popular, I was surprised at how the game doesn't even emphasise winning much. It does feel like exhibition races are quite throwaway, and I can't find any sort of rankings for championships after you've beaten them. Hm...

Top Bottom