• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 |OT| uozoH zo

Let's try this again:

Should I switch my region in Win10, or should I just get the key on CDkeys for $60?

Oh, and since I'm interested in the expansion(s) with new maps, I would rather save the money, and get them down the line, instad of Deluxe/Ultimate editions... that is, unless Deluxe Edition is really worth additional $15 (is it?).

There's a thread dedicated to the international XBL storefronts. You may want to ask there, but I'm pretty sure its cheaper to buy from Singapore or whatever the cheapest Xbox store is right now.

No, the Deluxe probably isn't worth it. Ultimate may be worth it if you buy the expansion at the discount it provides until December.

Fox Mulder

The Final Showcase being a race against a blimp is so dumb. OOh wow I beat a blimp in an offroad go kart!!

I thought the campaign was weak, but you're just supposed to enjoy the spectacle of it.

There's not really much they can do to make showcase events more awesome. I wasn't expecting a fast and furious action set piece or outrunning a fighter jet shooting missiles. Maybe next time.

terrible

Banned
All the showcase events in these games have been boring imo. They just feel completely scripted and it feels like you can't even lose.

Rodin

Question: i downloaded the demo on PC (thought it was incredible) and when you finish it the game asks you if you want to buy the full version. If you do that, does a separate download start in the windows store or is the demo already the full game and you just unlock the rest of it?

Question: i downloaded the demo on PC (thought it was incredible) and when you finish it the game asks you if you want to buy the full version. If you do that, does a separate download start in the windows store or is the demo already the full game and you just unlock the rest of it?

The demo has its own thread. You may want to try there. Good question, but I downloaded it long before the demo was out.

terrible

Banned
They are completely scripted, they always have been, you can lose, but you have to do pretty terribly.

It's pretty hard to get excited about beating a jet to a checkpoint when you know it's scripted to fly over exactly when you hit the checkpoint anyway. That kind of trick works once and that's it.

Ocho

I had to download the game again.

xrnzaaas

Heh I've been playing today on Unbeatable and in some races I manage to win with a big advantage. Meanwhile there are some events when even on Above Average I can't get to the top3. :/

There's a thread dedicated to the international XBL storefronts. You may want to ask there, but I'm pretty sure its cheaper to buy from Singapore or whatever the cheapest Xbox store is right now.

No, the Deluxe probably isn't worth it. Ultimate may be worth it if you buy the expansion at the discount it provides until December.
Thanks, will check out that thread.

As for the expansion vs Ultimate edition, I think I'll stick with regular edition for now, and then get expansions separately (or in the expansion pass), since I'll pay $95 max for the game, instead of $125.

Or I will get the Ultimate one, if it's notably cheaper on whichever store I end up buying the game. Damn those decisions >.<

Noobcraft

They are completely scripted, they always have been, you can lose, but you have to do pretty terribly.
Yeah. I wish there were extreme showcase events where there's a set time the AI finishes in, and it's up to you to beat the clock. Some bucketlist items work that way but it would be cool to have showcase events that work similarly.

Fuck it, I just bought Ultimate Edition. Someone should take away my debit card and money, so I don't spend it like this in the future >.>

At least I managed to grab Ultimate Edition for $87 on CDkeys, after applying their 5% off code for new customers. And I'll probably grab the Expansion Pass now too, it shouldn't be bad for $25, right?

Also, what are the chances that the second expansion will also bring new map? I'm thinking, since they're selling cars in all those other DLC packs, expansions should both bring new maps, right?

Why do I have a feeling that we won't know the content of the second expansion before the discount offer for VIP/Ultimate owners expires :/

Jesus christ, the AI in this game is so fuckin broken that it turns what could be a fun game into a frustrating sack of shit.

Seriously, how hard is it to make the AI cars actually follow the rules of the game? I am doing a street race that is literally unbeatable because the first place car instantly zooms so far ahead that I can't even get close enough to see what car it is.

The Forza games used to be so good at this but ever since they introduced the whole Drivatar thing, racing again the AI has gone to shit.

I used to actually enjoy playing these games SP but each new iteration seems to make that worse and worse with how broken the AI seems to be. They keep claiming they are fixing it but it is still absolute trash.

It is becoming NFS bad and is making the game less and less enjoyable.

Just such idiotic, frustrating bullshit that shouldn't exist at this point in racing games. If you have to make the AI cars cheat, then you are doing something massively fucking wrong.

Noobcraft

I remember when this was a joke lol. What have we done ForzaGAF?!
knzCGiA.gif

danowat

Banned
Jesus christ, the AI in this game is so fuckin broken that it turns what could be a fun game into a frustrating sack of shit.

Seriously, how hard is it to make the AI cars actually follow the rules of the game? I am doing a street race that is literally unbeatable because the first place car instantly zooms so far ahead that I can't even get close enough to see what car it is.

The Forza games used to be so good at this but ever since they introduced the whole Drivatar thing, racing again the AI has gone to shit.

I used to actually enjoy playing these games SP but each new iteration seems to make that worse and worse with how broken the AI seems to be. They keep claiming they are fixing it but it is still absolute trash.

It is becoming NFS bad and is making the game less and less enjoyable.

Just such idiotic, frustrating bullshit that shouldn't exist at this point in racing games. If you have to make the AI cars cheat, then you are doing something massively fucking wrong.

What car class restriction are you using in the event/s?

danowat

Banned
The event I was talking about was a Street Race and I was in an S1 car.

I was talking about the car type selection, rather than car class, if you select "anything goes", then you are going to have issues.

You can mitigate some of these issues by selecting a more appropriate car type, so if you're driving something from the 70's, use the 70's car selection, if you are driving a muscle car, use a muscle car type selection.

If you use a more open car type selection, even though they are set to the same class, you'll have cars that will out perform your car in some way.

I was talking about the car type selection, rather than car class, if you select "anything goes", then you are going to have issues.

You can mitigate some of these issues by selecting a more appropriate car type, so if you're driving something from the 70's, use the 70's car selection, if you are driving a muscle car, use a muscle car type selection.

If you use a more open car type selection, even though they are set to the same class, you'll have cars that will out perform your car in some way.

Oh yeah, I dig what you are saying but with Street Races you don't get to pick the Type. it just autofills it with whatever is in your class.

But yeah, that still doesn't change the fact that there is obvious rubberbanding going on in this game and that the AI is fuckin broke as shit most of the time. I have been playing Forza games since the first one and I can say that racing against the AI has got significantly worse since they introduced the Drivatar concept.

Those street races were all extremely challenging on the upper difficulties.

Not sure what goes on with the A.I. there, but it seems specific to those races.

danowat

Banned
Oh yeah, I dig what you are saying but with Street Races you don't get to pick the Type. it just autofills it with whatever is in your class.

But yeah, that still doesn't change the fact that there is obvious rubberbanding going on in this game and that the AI is fuckin broke as shit most of the time. I have been playing Forza games since the first one and I can say that racing against the AI has got significantly worse since they introduced the Drivatar concept.

Ahhh, sorry, I failed to spot the distinction between Street race and "normal" races in FH3.

I agree with you, the AI is mostly pretty bad, I've been saying it for ages, but sooner they drop the Drivatar system, the better, I am sure it's nothing more than smoke and mirrors anyway.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

Drivatars aren't perfect, but I prefer them over the imho terrible AI in games like Project Cars and Need for Speed.

danowat

Banned

Drivatars aren't perfect, but I prefer them over the imho terrible AI in games like Project Cars and Need for Speed.

Yeah, it's quite possible to have differing opinions!, I personally think the AI in PCars is pretty good!

I agree with you there but Forza used to have actually decent AI. I remember specifically how good the AI was in FM4. It would try to avoid you, it would modify its racing line if there was traffic and it NEVER used bullshit rubberbanding to speed itself up unnaturally. I remember someone either on here or the FM.net forums doing a test and the difference in the AI times between running first and last was negligible.

I feel like Horizon is worse about it as they are now having the AI cars go above their possible top speeds, give them more grip in corners, and generally make them react in ways that are not possible for the player. Fuck man the weather doesn't seem to affect the AI cars at all from what I can tell in FH3. I have run enough rain races to know that the AI cars react the same fucking way in the rain as they do in the dry. Seriously, next time you are doing a race in the rain, try to nudge the AI cars and see how much grip they have in the wet.

I still love these games but they really need to do some work on the AI as it seems to be getting worse in each game. I stopped playing NFS and other racing games because I got sick and tired of the bullshit rubberbanding.

This "machine learning from humans"-approach was extremely progressive when Turn 10 debuted it and in an ideal case it's the most authentic AI possible, which is probably why Turn 10 sticks with it even though a ton of people and reviewers aren't happy with it, all while the parts they aren't happy with could be much more easily addressed with a classic AI approach.

The biggest mistake in the Drivatar tech (in my opinion) is that your friends-list and the Drivatar reward system affects which drivatars are pulled. If I have a lot of Halo friends who buy Forza when it's 15 bucks and play it for 20 hours casually and drive terribly, then, when their Drivatars are pulled for my race on a higher difficulty, they are sped up to be more in line with the ideal AI driving line making them super generic or really aggressive in their overtaking (though, who gets overtaken by AI, right? ...so nobody cares) or defensive maneuvers. On the other hand, if I have some REALLY fast friends and play on a lower difficulty, their drivatars are slowed down artificially in a way where they slowed down in corners way too (edit: meaning, I bump into them mid corner, which is super frustrating) much or don't reach their maximum speeds even on the longest straights.

There should be an option to ignore the friend list and opt out of the drivatar rewards program, so that only Drivatars suitable to my difficulty, type of car and track are pulled without changing their natural behavior.

The traffic density and frequency with which drivatars will completely occupy both lanes by driving next to each other is really making it difficult to do well on some speedtraps and drift zones.

I don't know how you fix it without throwing out the whole traffic system as it is but it's frustrating to say the least.

That said, just did the River Run showcase and it was a nice thrill.

Klocker

The traffic density and frequency with which drivatars will completely occupy both lanes by driving next to each other is really making it difficult to do well on some speedtraps and drift zones.

I don't know how you fix it without throwing out the whole traffic system as it is but it's frustrating to say the least.

That said, just did the River Run showcase and it was a nice thrill.

Try earlier in am or at night ... traffic thins out quite a bit... also just keep coming back and you get lucky

This "machine learning from humans"-approach was extremely progressive when Turn 10 debuted it and in an ideal case it's the most authentic AI possible, which is probably why Turn 10 sticks with it even though a ton of people and reviewers aren't happy with it, all while the parts they aren't happy with could be much more easily addressed with a classic AI approach.

The biggest mistake in the Drivatar tech (in my opinion) is that your friends-list and the Drivatar reward system affects which drivatars are pulled. If I have a lot of Halo friends who buy Forza when it's 15 bucks and play it for 20 hours casually and drive terribly, then, when their Drivatars are pulled for my race on a higher difficulty, they are sped up to be more in line with the ideal AI driving line making them super generic or really aggressive in their overtaking (though, who gets overtaken by AI, right? ...so nobody cares) or defensive maneuvers. On the other hand, if I have some REALLY fast friends and play on a lower difficulty, their drivatars are slowed down artificially in a way where they slowed down in corners way too (edit: meaning, I bump into them mid corner, which is super frustrating) much or don't reach their maximum speeds even on the longest straights.

There should be an option to ignore the friend list and opt out of the drivatar rewards program, so that only Drivatars suitable to my difficulty, type of car and track are pulled without changing their natural behavior.
Interesting points, I would welcome those improvements.

I like the Drivatar system myself, and now that the game is more understood by the system I don't notice any substantial rubberbanding. I love seeing AI drivers make incredibly-dumb-yet-human mistakes. I don't find that in other racing series, including last-gen Forza games (which did have excellent AI). Like you say, it's very authentic, and I'll take that authenticity even if it means there's some occasional issues there.

I'm playing with a controller, can someone tell me what's the best settings to make this feel a little more arcady? I'm finding that the cars feel a little to heavy and are hard to control.....

Yager

Banned
1 road left to discover. Searched through the whole map dozens of times but I can't find it. I think I'll give up and if some day I discover it by pure luck, well that's it. It's pretty shitty that maybe for only a couple of metters you didn't drive through, it doesn't count as discovered.

Also, the achievement for "drive X miles with a caravan" is marked as 100% completed but it won't unlock. Did this happen to anyone?

danowat

Banned
1 road left to discover. Searched through the whole map dozens of times but I can't find it. I think I'll give up and if some day I discover it by pure luck, well that's it. It's pretty shitty that maybe for only a couple of metters you didn't drive through, it doesn't count as discovered.

I've given up as well, I have colour deficiency, which makes it hard to see the difference between driven and non driven roads at the best of times, I just can't find the last one, despite using all the tricks listed in various forums, so I just gave up.

Fox Mulder

I hate drivatars. I don't want my single player experience to be like a fucking online lobby.

A proper AI system would make tracks like long beach on forza motorsports not a complete shit show in turn one.

Forcing people to race to the front in 2-3 laps has really fucked the quality of racing that drivatars are supposedly built on. It's also just been broken for years across multiple games where a first place car can run off like 8 seconds ahead of everyone else.

Fox Mulder

Also, the achievement for "drive X miles with a caravan" is marked as 100% completed but it won't unlock. Did this happen to anyone?

There's some absolutely tiny off road bits in this game that barely show up at all on the map but are counted. There's like a tiny dot of off road near the beaches on the lower East coast that's separated from the road on the map.

Horizon has just always done a poor job at indicating what roads have been driven on. Test drive unlimited used bright blue to show discovered roads.

For barrel rolling, the easiest place for me was the timber mill. Barrel rolls are easy off that ramp that goes over the building.

I haven't done the danger sign one yet, but (thanks to True Achievements) I three-starred these jumps in a Raptor, so they have to be pretty easy:

Rainforest Reveal Danger Sign
Shipwreck Danger Sign
Byron&#8217;s Leap Danger Sign
Gold Mine Danger Sign

Top Bottom