• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The netcode in this seems... less than ideal.

Cars floating everywhere, dropping in to the road... car in front of me just now was doing bloody Olympic-standard gymnastics. LOL

What's worse is they are still solid when doing it, so passing a car you never know if it's gonna go mental as you go passed.

Is there a way to upgrade your car's parts just when you enter a race? Its annoying how i have to pick a car say C class and there is no way i can upgrade it without having to go all the way back to the garage...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is there a way to upgrade your car's parts just when you enter a race? Its annoying how i have to pick a car say C class and there is no way i can upgrade it without having to go all the way back to the garage...

It will ask you if the car you pick is way down on the rest of the pack.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I think I'm now on top of the clan for all the speed cameras (that I've found).

Look forward to losing all of them by tomorrow. Since I suspect I'm the only person really trying for many of them currently.

Today is one of those days I love working from home. I know exactly how I will be spending any downtime/lunch today. I am enjoying this game much more than I thought I would.

Shaneus

Oh man, whoever it was mentioning the clear bias against wheel users is right.

Take a photo? Bet your ass you're not taking a decent one unless you disconnect your wheel and sync up with a controller. And then unsync your controller again to play with the wheel.

If it's going to be that much fucking trouble I might as well not even bother. But then if I did, then I'd have to deal with the shitty lack of vibration on the pad.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Oh man, whoever it was mentioning the clear bias against wheel users is right.

Take a photo? Bet your ass you're not taking a decent one unless you disconnect your wheel and sync up with a controller. And then unsync your controller again to play with the wheel.

If it's going to be that much fucking trouble I might as well not even bother. But then if I did, then I'd have to deal with the shitty lack of vibration on the pad.

Do you ever stop moaning? Like, about anything?

It will ask you if the car you pick is way down on the rest of the pack.

Yeah and then i believe it only gives you the option to auto upgrade not manually upgrade your car which i hate.

I like to have my cars at the max level for each class so it gives me the best chance of winning. Oh well, ill just upgrade cars as soon as i get them. Its not a big deal but it would just be alot more user friendly.

The 100 discount signs are kind of lame. Most of them are "hidden" in plain sight. There is no sense of accomplishment with finding them at all.

It would have been hard to really hide 100 of them. Maybe instead they should have had 10 or 20 discount signs, and hidden them better. I want to be excited when I find one, not "well I just drove past one, do I even want to bother turning around right now to get it?"

legbone

hey guys, i just sent a request to the gaf car club. if there's not room i understand. i'm a huge forza nut but i'm bad about only lurking and chiming in occasionally in the forza threads.

edit: my gamertag is legbone. same as my username here.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Picked up a vanilla copy last night. No preorder bonuses. Will I be able to get all these preorder cars at some point if I desire?

Raudi

Been away from Forza for a while but will be updating my Storefront in Horizon with some of my Designs from FM4 as I have time. I have been enjoying the "Pure Skill" multiplayer racing so far to level up - similar to the old cycled production hopper in FM4!

FM4 Designs: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/Gallery.aspx?gt=Raudi

8118997997_2dcb73f4ab_c.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Loving the game, put in 2 hours straight last night, which is a long time for me. It's a lot like Dirt 2/3, except done way better.

My only complaint so far is just a nitpick: My daily driver in real life isn't done right in this game! I drive a 2013 Camaro ZL1, so I was anxious to get it in the game and see how realistic it is. Well, the game has the 2012 version, but the only real difference is the inclusion of a touchscreen radio in the 2013, so it's all good.

The exhaust sound is WAY, WAAAAY overblown, though. In real life, the car has a baffle that keeps it halfway quiet between 1k-3k rpm, but hammering it opens it up (also open at idle) and it growls like a roaring lion, but it's still muffled somewhat from the driver perspective. The exhaust tone in the game doesn't sound right, either.

Ahh well, I just thought it was funny since I know the car so well. The handling, acceleration, and braking all seemed to be spot on, though.

legbone

great raudi. i loved your work in fm4. i downloaded pretty much all of your and hertz donut's designs. i wish there was some way to save a storefront as a favorite and not have to search for it every time. maybe there is and i'm just stupid.

well, i'm off to work. it's going to be a long 8 hours today. this is the first game since forza 4 where i woke up a little early to get some gaming in before work.

Just got my MS FFB wheel. Coming from a G27 ( I know it can be compared to that ) this a a very strange experience. It's gonna take a lot of time to adjust to the 270 wheel rotating.
Ah well. Just gonna stick with ot for a couple of days and when it doesn't click, it's of tho Ebay

Game is phenomenal. But I wish if they weren't including a manual, they'd have put it in a menu on the disc. (Or maybe I missed it?) Couldn't figure out how to challenge the racers to a race on the open road. How do you do this?

GlamFM

Banned
Game is phenomenal. But I wish if they weren't including a manual, they'd have put it in a menu on the disc. (Or maybe I missed it?) Couldn't figure out how to challenge the racers to a race on the open road. How do you do this?

Isn´t there a prompt on screen? It might be X.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm having trouble finding the first barn. I've driven all over every road, and didn't see anything. I noticed there's a dot in a parking lot off the road down to the base of the dam, but when I drive there it's a path blocked off by pylons.

Can someone spoil where the first barn is for me? Thanks.

The_Monk

I'm having trouble finding the first barn. I've driven all over every road, and didn't see anything. I noticed there's a dot in a parking lot off the road down to the base of the dam, but when I drive there it's a path blocked off by pylons.

I'm quoting from the last page:

Just finished putting together a Barn Find Locations video, so here you go; shows all 9 locations:

http://youtu.be/uwpZWHYsUbU

Also, for those of you that don't want to buy the Treasure Map, I've also made a quick video of that, so you can see all the Discount Sign locations:

http://youtu.be/cdZvCY8frZs

;)

It's on a side road, parallel to the main road. That's the best way I can describe it. it's near the middle of that grey circle they highlight for you.

It was in plain sight. Not hard to see at all.

Coldsnap

Played like 2 hours of this game last night.. So great! Been like 3 months since I've sat down with a console game for that long. I love the speed wheel that I got. So great! Right now I'm driving around in a skyline GTR, thing is squirrly to control but I love it.

Can someone school me on how to properly turn with a manual transmission? I'm sorta an idiot about manual trans and want to learn through this game. If it's a hard turn you want to shift down to get more traction into the turn, right? Should I be feathering the break or slamming on it?

Fox Mulder

The 100 discount signs are kind of lame. Most of them are "hidden" in plain sight. There is no sense of accomplishment with finding them at all.

It would have been hard to really hide 100 of them. Maybe instead they should have had 10 or 20 discount signs, and hidden them better. I want to be excited when I find one, not "well I just drove past one, do I even want to bother turning around right now to get it?"

They're kind of dumb and look like they were made in a minute as well. I guess they just needed to check the collectible box on the game task sheet.

The billboards in burnout paradise were in plain sight too, but at least you had to find ways to jump through most of them and use certain cars with enough speed.

I think 100 was too many for the map size. It doesn't seem like it will be too hard to drive on every road in this game. TDU was a bit of a grind to finish off the achievement for doing that. It even had a race around the island that took around 45 minutes with the fastest vehicles. I doubt there's anything like that in here.

Coldsnap

I will go mad with this.

Microsoft is certainly doing everything they can to piss-off the wheel users beyond any level imaginable and it lasts for 7 consecutive years now.

First, there is no way to use wheel and controller in the same time in any game. For some crazy reason they obviously do not want to allow to have controller signed-in as Guest (through ID_2 for example) and allow us to have almost basic functionality of the games during wheel-play.

PREFACE: If you do on-the-fly change between wheel/controller (turn off the wheel, turn on the controller) you will loose either FFB or proper 900-support once you turn the wheel back on. In order to return to normal wheel-play after you've used controller, you have to reboot the game from the start. Same procedure (reboot to play) have to be done if you want to do on-the-fly switch from controller to wheel. During the years I was owner of the Microsoft Force Feedback Wireless wheel, Fanatec GT2 and now Fanatec CSR Eilte. All wheels share the same issues described here.

Where the current *wheel support* fails:

- PhotoMode (Project Gotham Racing 3&4, flagship first-party title, Microsoft Games as publisher, X360 launch game and first game that officially supported Microsoft's own Force Feedback wheel - PGR3 even come bundled with the wheel - I have both versions of the game - with FFB support patched in) - you can't use PhotoMode with the wheel

- driving (Project Gotham Racing 4, flagship title, first-party title, Microsoft Games as publisher) - there were bikes and cars and you had to do constant switching between wheel/controller with game rebooting

- PhotoMode (Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - same as PGR

- Livery Editor - main game-feature (Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - you can't normally use Livery Editor with the wheel

- Cockpit views (PGR & Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - while controller players have the option to rotate the view inside the cockpit, wheel users can't do so. Even worse, when you play with the wheel, you can't have in-car interior shown when you look left/right - it shows only full-screen)

- Map Zooming in Forza Horizon is now my current favourite. And when we're already speaking about the Horizon, why can't we have left/right view in the game? Or on-the-fly HUD-off switch?

Imagine the constant need to switch between wheel/controller, to have to constantly reboot the game after the switch, to not be able to enjoy PhotoMode during normal playing sessions, to have to reboot everytime you want to use the Livery Editor, to not be able to enjoy the interiors of the vehicles as all you should, etc, etc, etc.. And all of that could be solved if Microsoft would just allow to use the controller on the 2nd port as Guest during those modes (and if someone actually thought for a second about wheel players and mapped left/right views to use existing interior position of the cameras).

Important Fact: In order to get Xinput-licensing, wheel devices for X360 has to have exact number of buttons/functionality/axis-devices or license will not be issued by Microsoft. Because of theat you can't add some small thumbs on the wheel, because you can't have two inputs assigned to X-axis for instance. Madness™

WHY ARE YOU PUNISHING ALL THE WHEEL PLAYERS WHO INVESTED SERIOUS MONEY TO PLAY YOUR GAMES AND THEY CAN'T PLAY IT IN THEIR FULL SCOPE WITHOUT LOADS&LOADS OF FRUSTRATION?

/rant over.

I was gonna bitch about this too. Wanted to take picture of my GTR for GAF, plugged in an extra controller because i was using a wheel and the controller doesn't even work if you have a wheel active. So wheel players cannot take pictures >.>

Broke down and bought it. Pretty fun so far though the characters seem a bit phoney. Hope they don't get as annoying as the ones in that need for speed game from a few years back.

edit - is there a gaf club and can I join?

BRITISH MEAT!! Where ya been man?? Of course there is a club and you better get your ass in there!

PS: Do you still have invites to that racing video site?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
God damn you fuckers, now I cant decide whether to buy this or Most Wanted.

amar212

Just got my MS FFB wheel. Coming from a G27 ( I know it can be compared to that ) this a a very strange experience. It's gonna take a lot of time to adjust to the 270 wheel rotating.
Ah well. Just gonna stick with ot for a couple of days and when it doesn't click, it's of tho Ebay

Before anything else be sure to squeeze a sponged tennis-ball (or any other sponge-like material) under the brake-pedal.

Two worlds.

And do not expect sensation even close to G27, those are incomparable. And with MSFFB wheel be sure to check PGR3 (try to find a FFB-patched version), PGR4, RacePro, Forza 2 and first TDU before eBaying the wheel.

If you got it for cheap, save it from nostalgia reasons. I am very sad I've sold mine years ago, purely because of sensation with above mentioned games (they can all be played with Fanatec wheels, but actual lightness of MS wheel allows for better FFB sensation - and all those games are 270-defaulted).

I really hate that if you restart a race(I am playing on hard and some races are taking me a couple of attempts) it just restarts the song as well, instead of loading a new one. So if I retry twice or something on a 3-4min race that's ~12minutes of just the 1 song. And again if you opt to do the rival challenge for that track, it restarts the same song.

GlamFM

Banned
Anything that would be noticeable to everyone?

Commercial or Band-wise?

Commercials probably a lot - at least if you live in Germany.
My Band stuff not so much - One of our records sold pretty well and there is a Track about Football that is still very popular with hooligans, but thats it. ;)

EDIT: We should probably stop sidetracking this thread. PM me if you want.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I really hate that if you restart a race(I am playing on hard and some races are taking me a couple of attempts) it just restarts the song as well, instead of loading a new one. So if I retry twice or something on a 3-4min race that's ~12minutes of just the 1 song. And again if you opt to do the rival challenge for that track, it restarts the same song.

You mean you're not a fan of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy7kJyizoc

Top Bottom