• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

is there anything else we should do besides sending an in-game request?

I think that should do it. Just send a request and you'll get a message in game that you've been accepted.

There's only about 40 members in the club right now, so maybe when we get close to the player limit, if there is one, the club owners will be more selective with who they accept and make sure everyone is actually a poster on GAF. That doesn't seem to be the case yet since I was accepted right away and I don't post all that much. So just send the request and wait.

bryehn

This game is really fun. Love the NFS/SSX vibe coupled with some great driving. Nice variety of events so far too. Great job on the soundtrack, lots of popular current/stuff mixed with up-and-comers like Madeon and classics like The Hives. Could use a classic rock station though.

Mascot

Been off the grid for a few days so am just catching up with this thread. Sounds like you are all lying through your teeth or Horizon is quite possibly the best driving game of this generation. Which is it?
;)

Wow the PR stunts where you have to get a certain skill score are really hard. Any general advice?

I'm struggling with these, too. The 2-minute time limit in particular seems rather strict.

In the one or two I've been able to complete, maintaining the point multiplier was absolutely essential, so no crashing into traffic or walls, and don't use rewind. Keeping your speed up and chaining together near misses scores a lot of points quickly, (drive down the middle of a highway where possible so you can use oncoming traffic as well). If there's no cars in the immediate vicinity, throwing in an e-brake drift, or even clipping a roadside sign, can keep the multiplier from dying.

Easier said than done, but it's pretty exhilarating when you're in the zone with a big-ass combo, and some of the most fun I've had since PGR2's platinum cone challenges.

The_Monk

Been off the grid for a few days so am just catching up with this thread. Sounds like you are all lying through your teeth or Horizon is quite possibly the best driving game of this generation. Which is it?
;)

I can only answer on Friday!

I need the Europe-release-support-group to help me until then.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wow the PR stunts where you have to get a certain skill score are really hard. Any general advice?

Yeah, they can be tricky.

Only advice I have is to look at the type of course they lay out, as they make it pretty obvious how to get the score.

Eg, On a windy course, use drifts between near missing traffic. On a faster course, just floor it and dodge traffic.

;)

It doesn't top PGR4 for me, and bearing in mind it's still early days, but I don't think I've enjoyed a racer this much since. There's a shit-ton of things to do and see, the world feels vibrant and alive, and the Rivals integration feels even more at home here than it did in FM4. It's also quite the looker.

Shaneus

The whole soundtrack is embarrassing. I did hear some New Order in the background at the place where you buy cars though..
I'm gonna guess that all of the bands listed on the flyer in one of the slideshow screens are in the game in one aspect or another. From memory, Nero, New Order, Scuba, Feed Me... that's about it. However I can't recall hearing any tracks on the radio by them, so they're probably in there in another capacity.

I was gonna bitch about this too. Wanted to take picture of my GTR for GAF, plugged in an extra controller because i was using a wheel and the controller doesn't even work if you have a wheel active. So wheel players cannot take pictures >.>
Fucking this. Next Xbox needs to fix this issue and allow multiple controllers to be utilized under a single profile somehow. Half the game experience is essentially lost when using a wheel, and switching over requires an entire reset of the game to sign out my wheel and sign in my controller. Terrible.

Also, more customization for the button configurations on my wheel would be great. Why can I not assign view change to any other button than back??
Ugh, can't you guys do anything other than complain?

;)

Just got my MS FFB wheel. Coming from a G27 ( I know it can be compared to that ) this a a very strange experience. It's gonna take a lot of time to adjust to the 270 wheel rotating.
Ah well. Just gonna stick with ot for a couple of days and when it doesn't click, it's of tho Ebay
Yeah, it's definitely a weird sensation. I think rather than have multiple force feedback levels, it has two or three different wheel "strengths"/tensions, and two levels of vibration (distinctly different from FFB). It's different from G27 by far, but for games like this and FM4, I'll stick with it!

It doesn't top PGR4 for me, and bearing in mind it's still early days, but I don't think I've enjoyed a racer this much since. There's a shit-ton of things to do and see, the world feels vibrant and alive, and the Rivals integration feels even more at home here than it did in FM4. It's also quite the looker.
Admittedly, I haven't put a lot of time into this at all (maybe an hour or two?) but I'd have to say it's probably third behind PGR4 and Midnight Club: LA. Both games feeling very complete and polished, along with Horizon. FM4 still had issues IMO where it felt like things were missing/could've been done better.

Megasoum

Banned
;)

Rsz_1rsz_happy-i-see-what-you-did-there-_clean_-l.png

The Stig

k so Im a forza whore. (1000gp in forza 3 and close to the same in forza 4) went into daks garage and no loyalty bonus.

any ideas?

Yeah, it's definitely a weird sensation. I think rather than have multiple force feedback levels, it has two or three different wheel "strengths"/tensions, and two levels of vibration (distinctly different from FFB). It's different from G27 by far, but for games like this and FM4, I'll stick with it!

I have no other choice then to stick with it too. I have so many things pre-ordered that I don't have money for a Fanatec wheel. I thought that FM4 was optimised for a controller though, but it would be great if this wheel works with FM4 too. You've already tried playing FM4 with the wheel?

Coldsnap

Someone teach me how to drive these old muscle cars. My back end always goes flying out, even on small turns. I use the speed wheel. I feel like these cars are almost point and shoot.

Bgamer90

Banned
I have no other choice then to stick with it too. I have so many things pre-ordered that I don't have money for a Fanatec wheel. I thought that FM4 was optimised for a controller though, but it would be great if this wheel works with FM4 too. You've already tried playing FM4 with the wheel?

I've played FM4 with the MS Force feedback wheel and it works real well imo.

Someone teach me how to drive these old muscle cars. My back end always goes flying out, even on small turns. I use the speed wheel. I feel like these cars are almost point and shoot.

I started loving the muscles in FM4. Be very gentle on the gas as you accelerate out of a corner. Don't hammer it down as the wheels will spin forever. Just push the gas pedal slowly down.

Remember also to brake early and take large turns as these monsters were clearly built for roads with hardly any angled turns.

MJLord

I've been keeping a close eye on this and I just purchased a copy from play. From those with the game how much of forza 4 made it into Horizon ? Painting, storefronts that kind of thing.

Looking forward to seeing you all out there !

I like the soundtrack, just don't like hearing the same song every time I restart a race.

They should have randomized it a bit.

I really don't have any strong feelings towards the soundtrack one way or another, it fits the game, but this is kind of annoying. I wish the songs just kept playing through load screens and restarts. I feel like I haven't listened to an entire song in the game yet.

Also, I always feel like I'm racing in a TV commercial with the song choices. I feel familiar with pretty much all the songs even though I don't actually listen to these bands or styles of music.

BADNED

For those looking for free cars a '13 Shelby GT500 Rockstar edition is up for grabs on this Rockstar Energy facebook competition(click pic):

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Welp. I guess those two barn finds aren't gonna trigger.

If anyone knows what triggers the 8th barn, let me know and I will try and do it again. :p

RcrB1l.jpg

EBYssl.jpg

The_Monk

Thanks for the link BADNED I tried but since I'm not in the US will have to wait to see if I get the code, nothing so far but I'll wait a bit more. ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the soundtrack's okay.

Though I used to like Passion Pit before every single thing ever got ahold of that one song.

;)

I don't think anyone is saying HORIZON is the greatest racing game this gen. A lot of people, myself included, are just shocked at just how much addicting fun this game turned out to be.

Nope, the soundtrack is amazing so far. It fits the festival atmosphere perfectly imo. Disparate Youth by Santigold is my jam right now.

I was kind of hoping they would put in a Kinect controlled festival dancing mini game in place of Forza 4's Auto Vista mode. I think it would have been that extra special surprise feature that pushes a game from great to masterpiece. Fingers crossed for maybe a DLC addition.

Coldsnap

What's up with the auto upgrade. When the game suggests me to do it, it will take like 90% of all the money I have. So say I'm entering a slow car into a C class race they will say hey how about you spend $40,000 to make this nice. I wish they could just let you choose which upgrades to go with, instead of an all or nothing, like no I'll put $10,000 into this car and it will be enough for me to win.

What's up with the auto upgrade. When the game suggests me to do it, it will take like 90% of all the money I have. So say I'm entering a slow car into a C class race they will say hey how about you spend $40,000 to make this nice. I wish they could just let you choose which upgrades to go with, instead of an all or nothing, like no I'll put $10,000 into this car and it will be enough for me to win.

Wait what? Perhaps I am misunderstanding what exactly you are doing here but you can custom upgrade your car pretty much any way you want.

Born2Live

Okay I've cracked and just ordered a copy, game looks amazing and the hype and positive impressions have been eating away at me for the last couple of weeks. Just need to get a 360 now(again).

Top Bottom