• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Really impressed with the game especially the scenery and background environment, it looks phenomenal. My only issue thus far is the lack of rumble for the control pad. I know dick about game design and what-not but to me its just way to obvious to miss. Is there perhaps some technical reason to explain its absence or something else I may have missed?

Im loving the game, the career mode is SOO much more fun than Forza 4, to start its difficult, im having a hard time beating the AI in some races while Forza 4 was really easy until the last 2 seasons, i love to see the faces of the guys im beating.

Also i love how theres a difference between festival races and ilegal street ones, in festival races all the cars are pretty much stock while in ilegal races they use tunned cars, especially JDM vs Muscle, very fun.

My only negative feedback about the career mode is that the Barnfinds are really easy to find and the game give them too quickly and too fast, i already have like 6 of 9. I would love a restoration mode where you need also find the parts for the cars too (could be a sign like the upgrade ones with the picture of the engine for example)
Same goes for the upgrade signs, i have 54 in the first day and i havent really search much for them.

Overall i love it, i hope Turn10 take notes to improve the career mode and and the event variety, also i know that Forza 4 have a visual representation of your actions during the race but here they are much more dynamic than 4 bars, Forza 5 could include something like and combos when you do a good pass and a good turn (like Shift).
Both teams have soo much to win from this partnership, im sure this game would not be as great without being based on Forza 4.

Btw: Please add more rumble with patch (or atleast the options to it), that takes away soo much from the rally races and also some of the street races too.

Im loving the game, the career mode is SOO much more fun than Forza 4, to start its difficult, im having a hard time beating the AI in some races while Forza 4 was really easy until the last 2 seasons, i love to see the faces of the guys im beating.

Yeah, Insane really is insane. In Forza 4 I got Gold in all the events on the hardest AI difficulty no problem, but here I'm turning it down to Hard for a lot of the races.

Spy

Also i love how theres a difference between festival races and ilegal street ones, in festival races all the cars are pretty much stock while in ilegal races they use tunned cars, especially JDM vs Muscle, very fun.

My only negative feedback about the career mode is that the Barnfinds are really easy to find and the game give them too quickly and too fast, i already have like 6 of 9. I would love a restoration mode where you need also find the parts for the cars too (could be a sign like the upgrade ones with the picture of the engine for example)
Same goes for the upgrade signs, i have 54 in the first day and i havent really search much for them.

Overall i love it, i hope Turn10 take notes to improve the career mode and and the event variety, also i know that Forza 4 have a visual representation of your actions during the race but here they are much more dynamic than 4 bars, Forza 5 could include something like and combos when you do a good pass and a good turn (like Shift).
Both teams have soo much to win from this partnership, im sure this game would not be as great without being based on Forza 4.

Btw: Please add more rumble with patch (or atleast the options to it), that takes away soo much from the rally races and also some of the street races too.
I'm happy with everything this game has to offer except for the corny story (I don't want a story in my racers) and soundtrack.

It's like Dirt 2's festival atmosphere...
except it's actually done right and doesn't feel forced or fake.

Also I love how one of the achievements is called "Kudos to you." Nice throwback to PGR.

Great, great game. Microsoft came out of nowhere and hit a homerun with this.

I'm happy with everything this game has to offer except for the corny story (I don't want a story in my racers) and soundtrack.

I have played 4 Forza Motorsport games do death and to be honest is really refreshing having an "story" and faces in my opponents, id love to having 1 vs 1 race againts M. Rossi for the pink slips of his Ferrari after i beat him in a full grid race. Or my team getting a bonus from a sponsor if im able to beat the track record. Or having the oportunity to get a new race car for my team if i complete a championship over 3rd place.

Everything is much better than just : finish in first place (or just finish the race in Forza 4 case)

KePoW

Banned
Really impressed with the game especially the scenery and background environment, it looks phenomenal. My only issue thus far is the lack of rumble for the control pad. I know dick about game design and what-not but to me its just way to obvious to miss. Is there perhaps some technical reason to explain its absence or something else I may have missed?

There's no vibration period for 360 gamepad?

There's no vibration period for 360 gamepad?

Very little, especially in rally races, the camera is shaking a lot while the theres barely any rumble, it kills a lot of the experience in my opinion and is one of the most common complains in the official forum.
Try the demo to see it by youself.

So I don't know if I can justify the season pass for this thing. I love the game and will get the expansion pack but I don't need to drive every car. I'm satisfied with using a handful of cars and customizing them as I need.

I guess this is a good thing but I have never not bought a season pass. I always do it.
KuGsj.gif

KePoW

Banned
So I don't know if I can justify the season pass for this thing. I love the game and will get the expansion pack but I don't need to drive every car. I'm satisfied with using a handful of cars and customizing them as I need.

I guess this is a good thing but I have never not bought a season pass. I always do it.
KuGsj.gif

It's not worth it for Forza, unless you actually like every car in existence.

amar212

I was curious what people are using for the Fanatec GT2 setups in this. Here's mine:
/snip

However, in Horizon my car will just randomly spin out for no reason, even at 50 mph. Not sure what to change, any help would be appreciated as this is very frustrating.

I am using these for the CSRE:

ADVANCED WHEEL SETTINGS
Steering Inside Deadzone: 0%
Steering Outside Deadzone: 100%

SEN 900 / all other wheel-related on 0 (my ABS is on 50)

I had some issues on the beginning until I learned to cope with the accelerator to prevent spinning and no problems since then.

It sounds strange, have you tried to update the firmware maybe? Also, try to boot console manually first and wheel after, when console has booted to Dashboard.

Also, for those of you that don't want to buy the Treasure Map, I've also made a quick video of that..

Thanx for this, but one question: Don't tell me you can actually zoom the map?

Why can't I zoom the map with commands on my wheel? WTF?!?

KaYotiX

Banned
How come my game never saves? I save it to the cloud to play on another xbox but i keep having to restart my career.....WTF is going on!!!

FStop7

Banned
I'm absolutely stunned. This game is phenomenal.

I am mostly a console sim guy. Forza, GT, F1 201x, etc.

I'm one of the few who didn't like Burnout Paradise. I didn't like the way the cars handled. I didn't think it was a bad game, it just didn't click. I didn't like Test Drive Unlimited, either.

On the other hand, I loved NFS: Hot Pursuit because of the crazy wrecks and takedowns. It reminded me of Burnout 3, one of my all time favorite games.

I bought FH kind of thinking I'd try it and if I didn't like it I'd just sell it or trade it on Most Wanted. Not any more. FH feels like an open world PGR game. And PGR 1-4 (especially 2 and 4) are also some of my all time favorites. So yeah, I'm psyched right now. And all the dubstep absolutely kills me, it's so over the top I can't help but get into it.

amar212

Yeah, it zooms on the right stick.

I will go mad with this.

Microsoft is certainly doing everything they can to piss-off the wheel users beyond any level imaginable and it lasts for 7 consecutive years now.

First, there is no way to use wheel and controller in the same time in any game. For some crazy reason they obviously do not want to allow to have controller signed-in as Guest (through ID_2 for example) and allow us to have almost basic functionality of the games during wheel-play.

PREFACE: If you do on-the-fly change between wheel/controller (turn off the wheel, turn on the controller) you will loose either FFB or proper 900-support once you turn the wheel back on. In order to return to normal wheel-play after you've used controller, you have to reboot the game from the start. Same procedure (reboot to play) have to be done if you want to do on-the-fly switch from controller to wheel. During the years I was owner of the Microsoft Force Feedback Wireless wheel, Fanatec GT2 and now Fanatec CSR Eilte. All wheels share the same issues described here.

Where the current *wheel support* fails:

- PhotoMode (Project Gotham Racing 3&4, flagship first-party title, Microsoft Games as publisher, X360 launch game and first game that officially supported Microsoft's own Force Feedback wheel - PGR3 even come bundled with the wheel - I have both versions of the game - with FFB support patched in) - you can't use PhotoMode with the wheel

- driving (Project Gotham Racing 4, flagship title, first-party title, Microsoft Games as publisher) - there were bikes and cars and you had to do constant switching between wheel/controller with game rebooting

- PhotoMode (Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - same as PGR

- Livery Editor - main game-feature (Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - you can't normally use Livery Editor with the wheel

- Cockpit views (PGR & Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - while controller players have the option to rotate the view inside the cockpit, wheel users can't do so. Even worse, when you play with the wheel, you can't have in-car interior shown when you look left/right - it shows only full-screen)

- Map Zooming in Forza Horizon is now my current favourite. And when we're already speaking about the Horizon, why can't we have left/right view in the game? Or on-the-fly HUD-off switch?

Imagine the constant need to switch between wheel/controller, to have to constantly reboot the game after the switch, to not be able to enjoy PhotoMode during normal playing sessions, to have to reboot everytime you want to use the Livery Editor, to not be able to enjoy the interiors of the vehicles as all you should, etc, etc, etc.. And all of that could be solved if Microsoft would just allow to use the controller on the 2nd port as Guest during those modes (and if someone actually thought for a second about wheel players and mapped left/right views to use existing interior position of the cameras).

Important Fact: In order to get Xinput-licensing, wheel devices for X360 has to have exact number of buttons/functionality/axis-devices or license will not be issued by Microsoft. Because of theat you can't add some small thumbs on the wheel, because you can't have two inputs assigned to X-axis for instance. Madness™

WHY ARE YOU PUNISHING ALL THE WHEEL PLAYERS WHO INVESTED SERIOUS MONEY TO PLAY YOUR GAMES AND THEY CAN'T PLAY IT IN THEIR FULL SCOPE WITHOUT LOADS&LOADS OF FRUSTRATION?

/rant over.

bedlamite

And all the dubstep absolutely kills me, it's so over the top I can't help but get into it.
Yep, I just leave the radio on the dubstep channel, it just fits so well with the game. Horizon isn't a sim, there's absolutely no need to turn off music to listen to tyre noise, or the engine, or whatnot. Just blast that music and go with the wubwubwub

I will go mad with this.

/rant over.

Maybe Jube or HeliosT10 can ask devs, whether it could be patched so we can use throttle as RT and brake as LT buttons, while in photomode,or map, or livery editor or when ever we are not driving, and as soon as we start driving wheel everything is back to normal??

Shaneus

Well, my steelbook arrived today. I have to say, on top of the frustration of seeing that the cover had been bent (either during post or by the company sending it... I'm not too sure yet but it's fucking frustrating) I'm greeted with quite possibly the most pissweak excuse for an LCE that I've ever seen:
edePT.jpg

Wasn't there supposed to be some fake wristband/pass thing included (at least)? I'm sure I read that more was to be included other than:
*Game disc
*"Festival ticket" with DLC (not even printed on something that would resemble a ticket... you'd think they'd churn out something like this)
*Disclaimer about some irrelevant shit
*Steelbook case!!111~

I'm happy I've got the game, but I've said it before and I'll say it agian... I'm done with LCEs (unless they're not that much more expensive than the regular game). I remember when they used to include things like keyrings and driving guides. Why wouldn't they even include something like a festival map or a fake program of the acts and demonstrations that are happening?

Anyway, rant over. I think. I'm just surprised with their sheer laziness, especially compared to other years. A plastic wristband or properly printed ticket or program wouldn't have cost much more and would've complimented the game perfectly. Hell, even a little FH-branded glowstick would've been rad. But alas, no.

*sigh*

I will go mad with this.

Microsoft is certainly doing everything they can to piss-off the wheel users beyond any level imaginable and it lasts for 7 consecutive years now.

First, there is no way to use wheel and controller in the same time in any game. For some crazy reason they obviously do not want to allow to have controller signed-in as Guest (through ID_2 for example) and allow us to have almost basic functionality of the games during wheel-play.

PREFACE: If you do on-the-fly change between wheel/controller (turn off the wheel, turn on the controller) you will loose either FFB or proper 900-support once you turn the wheel back on. In order to return to normal wheel-play after you've used controller, you have to reboot the game from the start. Same procedure (reboot to play) have to be done if you want to do on-the-fly switch from controller to wheel. During the years I was owner of the Microsoft Force Feedback Wireless wheel, Fanatec GT2 and now Fanatec CSR Eilte. All wheels share the same issues described here.

Where the current *wheel support* fails:

- PhotoMode (Project Gotham Racing 3&4, flagship first-party title, Microsoft Games as publisher, X360 launch game and first game that officially supported Microsoft's own Force Feedback wheel - PGR3 even come bundled with the wheel - I have both versions of the game - with FFB support patched in) - you can't use PhotoMode with the wheel

- driving (Project Gotham Racing 4, flagship title, first-party title, Microsoft Games as publisher) - there were bikes and cars and you had to do constant switching between wheel/controller with game rebooting

- PhotoMode (Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - same as PGR

- Livery Editor - main game-feature (Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - you can't normally use Livery Editor with the wheel

- Cockpit views (PGR & Forza games, flagship titles, first-party titles, Microsoft Games as publisher) - while controller players have the option to rotate the view inside the cockpit, wheel users can't do so. Even worse, when you play with the wheel, you can't have in-car interior shown when you look left/right - it shows only full-screen)

- Map Zooming in Forza Horizon is now my current favourite. And when we're already speaking about the Horizon, why can't we have left/right view in the game? Or on-the-fly HUD-off switch?

Imagine the constant need to switch between wheel/controller, to have to constantly reboot the game after the switch, to not be able to enjoy PhotoMode during normal playing sessions, to have to reboot everytime you want to use the Livery Editor, to not be able to enjoy the interiors of the vehicles as all you should, etc, etc, etc.. And all of that could be solved if Microsoft would just allow to use the controller on the 2nd port as Guest during those modes (and if someone actually thought for a second about wheel players and mapped left/right views to use existing interior position of the cameras).

WHY ARE YOU PUNISHING ALL THE WHEEL PLAYERS WHO INVESTED SERIOUS MONEY TO PLAY YOUR GAMES AND THEY CAN'T PLAY IT IN THEIR FULL SCOPE WITHOUT LOADS&LOADS OF FRUSTRATION?

/rant over.
Fuck. That's frustrating... especially considering I only just bought a wheel :/

Also, I think I know where they ripped (or inspired by) the aesthetic from:
yldwJ.gif

GlamFM

Banned
Haha, same in Netherlands.
Anyone in Holland knows of a store selling it early?

I know one here in Germany. Only a one hour drive depending on where you live. ( I know from the 1.000 times I came to your country when I was younger to do some "shopping" )

The_Monk

^ Oh come on man... Friday where are you?

I was thinking, Porsche DLC had a Day one discount. Was that for VIP Status owners or Season Pass owners? I know I got it cheaper on the first day but don't remember why.

It would be nice if the Rally Expansion had something similar.

newsguy

RawNuts

Been playing this like crazy; I'm up to my purple wristband and I've spent a good amount of time online as well. The game is even more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be, which is certainly saying a lot.

It's great to see everyone pouring into the club; I shared some really fun cars, definitely worth a look if you're in a race locked to a class you don't have a car for and don't like the rental one.
Also, we're pretty high up on the club rankings list, good stuff.

saladine1

OK Playground Games, a couple of requests for Horizon 2.

-More attention on vehicle customization such as interior mods, widebody kits, more wheels,exhaust tips..etc

-More varied events at the Festival such as drift events, skill based events, skid pad..etc

Other than that, you've pretty much nailed it!

harrytang

not even in a street race but the AI always amped up
8118748049_ab83429f8d.jpg

not great, just love the matte colors
8118761808_817f68ed0b.jpg

one thing that i thought was a bug turned out to just be really awesome. in street races it looks like the AI can take a different route than you. didnt know what the hell was going on when Cool took a crazy right hand turn and my GPS telling me to go straight. I ended up just barely winning against hard opponent cause of this. really fun game.

The Stig

Broke down and bought it. Pretty fun so far though the characters seem a bit phoney. Hope they don't get as annoying as the ones in that need for speed game from a few years back.

edit - is there a gaf club and can I join?

Top Bottom