• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Oh I wanna join the club

DownWithTheShip

I'll send a request

Edit: How do I join? Do I have to receive an invite or is there some other way? If there is it's not obvious to me.

I might as well ask this here... can someone tell me the very simple basics of drifting. Because I've always been a street car person who knows absolutely nothing about drifting or rally.

When doing a turn, are you supposed to:

1.) Hold the brake while still accelerating fully?
2.) Hold the brake while completely letting go of accelerator?
3.) Use e-brake with either throttle or no throttle?

Again, I know nothing about how to purposely drift.

- Turn, tap e-brake, throttle, counter-steer. If you spin out, use less throttle.
- Remember to turn Traction Control (TCS) and Stability Control (STM) off.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I noticed something pretty lame. In cockpit mode, a lot of the awesome post effects are disabled, mainly god beams. Hood cam seems to be the best compromise... but I'd rather be in the cockpit.

I've had a ton of fun with both. I find myself switching every so often depending on my view. If I'm feeling cockpit view, I turn on the wireless speed wheel. If I'm feeling third person, then I use the controller. Both work very well.

alright thanks. I do tend to play more in third person view in car games.

Shaneus

Btw for some reason I really love driving the slower cars im this game, whereas in the prevoius FM series it was all A class.
I agree. Even though it may not have been intentional, I like that there's an implied emphasis on older, less-powerful cars. I just hope that they include some of said cars down the track. I'd kill for any kind of Celica, or any of the older Japanese cars like the Hakosuka, first-gen RX7 (or RX3) or even the slightly newer R31 Skyline and Gen 1 Subaru Liberty GT (aka Legacy GT).

It just begs to have a shitload of consumer-level 70s-90s cars.

Is anyone using the old school Microsoft Wireless Wheel? Unfortunately thats the only wheel I have but I have always struggled to find the best settings for it. If any of you could help me I would be greatly appreciated.

I agree. Even though it may not have been intentional, I like that there's an implied emphasis on older, less-powerful cars. I just hope that they include some of said cars down the track. I'd kill for any kind of Celica, or any of the older Japanese cars like the Hakosuka, first-gen RX7 (or RX3) or even the slightly newer R31 Skyline and Gen 1 Subaru Liberty GT (aka Legacy GT).

It just begs to have a shitload of consumer-level 70s-90s cars.

Don't worry, I'm sure they will love to resell you cars from Forza 4 in no time!

Shaneus

Is anyone using the old school Microsoft Wireless Wheel? Unfortunately thats the only wheel I have but I have always struggled to find the best settings for it. If any of you could help me I would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using that and just have all the settings at max/min. If it's feeling a little loose, look on the web for instructions on how to fix the bearing on it. Apparently that makes a *massive* difference (but looks like a metric fuckload of work).

shinnn

can't. stop. playing.

j5uDUUc1MW7hV.jpg

jroPfWpApGBiD.jpg

jDJJCzOft68s7.jpg

jNpkOrJhNkaNw.jpg

jGOfP3ZBLkQSc.jpg

jOwcWhI5gT6V9.jpg

this race is awesome. lol.
ibmQ8WlKbWHKYP.gif

This game is quite awesome. I'll be spending a lot of time with it, I can already tell.

The "collector's edition" packaging is really underwhelming though. I even knew you didn't get too much before I bought it. But seeing it in person is just ehhhhhhhh. I wish the box was bigger or something. Yah I know, but really it feels like I just shat away $20 for nothing.

I'm using that and just have all the settings at max/min. If it's feeling a little loose, look on the web for instructions on how to fix the bearing on it. Apparently that makes a *massive* difference (but looks like a metric fuckload of work).

Wait, are you saying put all the settings to max then try it and if thats no good set everything to minimum? Or are you saying if its leaning towards the max go ahead and max it and if its leaning to the minimum drop it all the way? I am betting nothing of what I just typed is what u were talking about.

EDIT: Nice pics, shinnn

Oh and I call BS on the dev saying that the only race in the game that uses rubberbanding is the intro race...

Either there's rubberbanding in every race or I'm the luckiest guy alive in the last lap of every single races so far lol.

This. Much more noticeable on Hard/Insane too. They disappear ahead on the first lap and then you magically claw them back despite racing to consistent lap times.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game is quite awesome. I'll be spending a lot of time with it, I can already tell.

The "collector's edition" packaging is really underwhelming though. I even knew you didn't get too much before I bought it. But seeing it in person is just ehhhhhhhh. I wish the box was bigger or something. Yah I know, but really it feels like I just shat away $20 for nothing.

It really is underwhelming. Forza 3 CE puts it to shame.

Brandon F

I'm using the MS FFB wheel without much problem at default settings, but would also love any input on recommended changes if anyone has some.

Klocker

can someone tell me please is there a control setting that allows throttle, brake on right stick ala fm4 or just the triggers as in the demo?

As soon as I set a new speed camera time I get five messages that other Gaffers have beat my times.

Feels like I'm being hunted :p

*Shakes fist at Rotavelle, whoever that is*

Edit: ah, OK, 2600 - at least I have an avatar to go with the name now. It's on :)

This game is honestly just about everything I wanted it to be. Every car feels unique, and the world is just large enough to satisfy - large enough to have plenty of variety to roads and environments, and to need to use the GPS to find your route - but small enough that you get to know certain stretches of road well soon enough. My only gripe still is that I'd love to have some friendlier navigation elements in-game besides the GPS - so, providing North on the mini-map, and flashing the names of routes and roads and areas as you enter them. It may seem like something small, but it can provide a large benefit.

That and I'm kinda scared to spend my cash on cars from the Autoshow without knowing which ones can be earned through special events and barn finds. A lot of the cars I lust for are at least a million credits.

I fucking love this game.

What's the current population of the GAF club?

I primarily race in Rivals mode, and my availability during the week varies, so I don't want to take a spot from someone who might be able to participate more.

Shaneus

Wait, are you saying put all the settings to max then try it and if thats no good set everything to minimum? Or are you saying if its leaning towards the max go ahead and max it and if its leaning to the minimum drop it all the way? I am betting nothing of what I just typed is what u were talking about.
Nah, nowhere near close ;) The maximum was referring to the feedback/throw (or whatever the terminology is) and the minimum was referring to the deadzone.

Actually, yeah. The latter thing you said. So for the things like the deadzone that are already almost 0, make them 0. For the things that are near 100 (I think it's the throw or distance or active somethingorother... sorry) just bump them up to 100.

Mind you, I haven't tried them any other way, and I also did the expert thing that someone suggested where you wind all your settings up to "Expert", then adjust the assists you want from there to remove some hidden steering assist (or something).

Fuck, sorry I couldn't be less vague! Also, look into that bearing thing I was talking about. That's supposed to make a MASSIVE difference to the wheel.

Does anyone have significant play time with both the MS Wireless Wheel and the newer MS Wireless Speed Wheel? Ive been contemplating getting one of those Speed Wheels ever since FORZA 4 launched but I just cant seem to pull the proverbial trigger.

I would love to hear some comparisons like does the Speed Wheel have rumble and if it does is it pretty much nonexistent like the regular ol gamepad? I also have a hard time seeing how the Speed Wheel will feel much better than racing with the WiiMote Steering Wheel.

For all my concerns one important thing keeps me interested and thats how easy it would be to setup compared to the big clunky MS Wheel. I often opt to not use the wheel just because its a hassle to set it up every time. With the Speed Wheel I imagine I will use it much more just because of how easy setup is.

Brandon F

Does anyone have significant play time with both the MS Wireless Wheel and the newer MS Wireless Speed Wheel? Ive been contemplating getting one of those Speed Wheels ever since FORZA 4 launched but I just cant seem to pull the proverbial trigger.

I would love to hear some comparisons like does the Speed Wheel have rumble and if it does is it pretty much nonexistent like the regular ol gamepad? I also have a hard time seeing how the Speed Wheel will feel much better than racing with the WiiMote Steering Wheel.

For all my concerns one important thing keeps me interested and thats how easy it would be to setup compared to the big clunky MS Wheel. I often opt to not use the wheel just because its a hassle to set it up every time. With the Speed Wheel I imagine I will use it much more just because of how easy setup is.

I have both. The speed wheel is not really much different from using a wii-mote. It does have rumble that lets you feel some force feedback, but I can't give insight to how it compares to a controller rumble. Rumble and feedback is weaker than the MS wheel though, but that should be expected. It also is very sensitive and generally works without any issue, no need for strong movements either.

The speed wheel is still absolutely -no replacement- for a proper wheel setup with pedals though. It's a night and day difference and the only major advantage is the accessibility of not needing any furniture movement or setup to use the speed wheel. At first I was impressed with the Speed wheel, but then I went back to the MS FFB wheel setup and there was this feeling of "oh...right. Yea, I'm done playing with that little thing now"

Oh and the speed wheel has no RB and LB buttons. It's appalling in games like Forza 3 and 4 where those buttons are VITAL to menu use. Still can't get over that the speed wheel was officially sanctioned and often bundled with Forza 4(how I got mine)...but menu navigation is downright impossible in certain parts of that game when plugged in. I believe Forza Horizon fixes that problem somewhat though.

The speed wheel is not at all bad. It serves its purpose and functions really well, definitely giving a unique experience advantage over a controller. It is not a replacement for a proper wheel though by any means.

Oh and if you are annoyed by the MS wheel setup? Get a stand. I use the wheel stand pro and quite love it.
http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/StoreFront

As soon as I set a new speed camera time I get five messages that other Gaffers have beat my times.

Feels like I'm being hunted :p

*Shakes fist at Rotavelle, whoever that is*

Edit: ah, OK, 2600 - at least I have an avatar to go with the name now. It's on :)

This game is honestly just about everything I wanted it to be. Every car feels unique, and the world is just large enough to satisfy - large enough to have plenty of variety to roads and environments, and to need to use the GPS to find your route - but small enough that you get to know certain stretches of road well soon enough. My only gripe still is that I'd love to have some friendlier navigation elements in-game besides the GPS - so, providing North on the mini-map, and flashing the names of routes and roads and areas as you enter them. It may seem like something small, but it can provide a large benefit.

That and I'm kinda scared to spend my cash on cars from the Autoshow without knowing which ones can be earned through special events and barn finds. A lot of the cars I lust for are at least a million credits.

I fucking love this game.

Haha, not gunning for anyone (yet!). Those speed trap notices are indeed many since they're getting set *all* the time just from random driving. Must have gotten hundreds by now. Doesn't help that I haven't moved past A class at all. Maybe once I've roamed around in a top R class car for a while there will finally be some reprieve from the deluge.

I wondered about the prize cars as well and spending credits wastefully. Just had a thought, maybe since there isn't an auction house market to worry about, the game will give you a good value for selling cars back. I'll have to check that out next time.

--

On the game in general, it is pretty entertaining, looks great, feels great, even if it's a bit like Forza's little brother rather than Forza proper in the physics department, yet that DNA is still there and you can feel it. But as it's been suggested, it's not a bad thing in relation to the type of experience the game is shooting for. For that sim/arcade blend, I don't think I've liked anything better, including PGR I have to say.

I wish the world was bigger, as it's hard not to compare to TDU in that sense. In TDU it felt like you could really get lost in all the zillions of roads, and after driving for 20 minutes in some random direction there was a sensation like you were about a hundred miles from where you started. In Horizon, it's more of a fishbowl, and always feels like you're a stone's throw from the central festival grounds. But, that's not necessarily bad either, as Horizon capitalizes on it's more focused size (relative to TDU) and does many things much better. For example, there are people in Horizon's world. Big mobs of them. There was not a single person to be spotted out in TDU's world, and that alone gives a whole different vibe. Well, I'm going off on a TDU comparison tangent, but I guess because since Horizon's announcement that's where my imagination went, as it did for many others I'm sure. In the end, Horizon turned out to have a different focus than TDU, and will appreciate it for what it is.

Anyone got any tips on steering?

I'll be flying down some road getting some wicked speed but then its like my car will loose control when I have to make slight turns.

Anyone got any tips on steering?

I'll be flying down some road getting some wicked speed but then its like my car will loose control when I have to make slight turns.

May sound simple, but if you're not already, try letting off the gas for a second or two while you're making your slight turn. And try to do it before the road actually turns, so that when you're back on the gas, you're pointing in a straight line across the curve.

saladine1

Positive vibes permeate this thread.
Was there this much excitement and praise when FM4 came out?

I actually miss FM4, but i'm having a ball with Horizon, I have no time for anything else at the moment..

Data Ghost

Hoping the game will arrive here in the UK today, at the very worst though it should be tomorrow. Cant wait. Never played a demo so many times before :)

I hear that my dream car the 458 Italia is a pre order bonus? Gutted about that, anyone know if I can get a code or something?

I can just imagine the photo mode pics now! ahhhh!

Hoping the game will arrive here in the UK today, at the very worst though it should be tomorrow. Cant wait. Never played a demo so many times before :)

I hear that my dream car the 458 Italia is a pre order bonus? Gutted about that, anyone know if I can get a code or something?

I can just imagine the photo mode pics now! ahhhh!

The 458 spider version is available.

Top Bottom