• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the idea of rewind is one of the best features added to racing games, but I have to turn it off because I can NEVER get it to work well enough to recover. It's always a problem with speed, and I can never pull back far enough to take care of it. Also, it helps that I can't friggin tell when I can rewind or can't so when I really screw up and it won't let me rewind, that's so annoying that I just said 'fuck this'

I think the idea of rewind is one of the best features added to racing games, but I have to turn it off because I can NEVER get it to work well enough to recover. It's always a problem with speed, and I can never pull back far enough to take care of it. Also, it helps that I can't friggin tell when I can rewind or can't so when I really screw up and it won't let me rewind, that's so annoying that I just said 'fuck this'

I don't mean to make it sound like I think you are stupid, but did you know you can press the button more than once? You can rewind pretty freakin far usually. And the only restriction on using it in this game is if anyone has already finished. I think you also can't use it in the like first 10 seconds, but I'm not sure if that's the same in Horizon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't mean to make it sound like I think you are stupid, but did you know you can press the button more than once? You can rewind pretty freakin far usually. And the only restriction on using it in this game is if anyone has already finished. I think you also can't use it in the like first 10 seconds, but I'm not sure if that's the same in Horizon.
I know you can rewind further. For example, this is just one race, but in the starting race with Duke, it didn't let me rewind after one of the turns. I spun out on a turn and tried to rewind and couldn't. I went forward and could rewind back to where I spun out, but it was like it wiped the memory of my race.

I know you can rewind further. For example, this is just one race, but in the starting race with Duke, it didn't let me rewind after one of the turns. I spun out on a turn and tried to rewind and couldn't. I went forward and could rewind back to where I spun out, but it was like it wiped the memory of my race.

Do you mean Darius? I am wondering if that is a "special" race, it acts differently to rewind. That's the only race with rubber ending for instance. Otherwise I am not sure, I haven't had any issues with rewind.

saunderez

That race is clearly scripted anyway, if you crash he'll wait for you.

newsguy

GetPhoto.ashx

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ok guys please help.

before I buy this today I need to know some facts

Can you customise and tune your car? turbo exhaust etc etc

how are the sound effects? I heard they were dull compared to forza4

is this a sim or arcade racer?

can you race online?

can you add mags and bodykits to your car?

can you get ferraris?

thanks.

KePoW

Banned

The starting race doesn't mean anything, as others have said it's scripted.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
the starting race is not really a race.. I don't think you can win it anyway

I won it, but once you get close to the goal a cutscene starts showing him winning anyway, pretty bullshit as he was clearly behind me at that point.

Ok guys please help.

can you race online?

can you get ferraris?

thanks.
I don't know the answer to all your questions as I've only put about an hour into the game, but I can say that you can customize your car in both appearance and tuning, though the tuning appears simplified. That said, there might be a depth to it I just haven't dug too deep into that stuff yet.

For me, the sound effects of the cars seemed great.

This game treads the line between sim and arcade. It's very Project Gotham-like. It even has kudos, though they don't call it that. (Though there is an achievement called "Kudos to you!")

And of course you can race online.

My best advice to you is: RUN TO THE STORE AND GET THIS GAME - IT'S FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC.

Just picked up the game during lunch today and have been playing for two hours straight now! Awesome game, and incredibly pretty. It's crazy what the dev team was able to do on the 360. Anyway, I sent a request to join the gaf club! I am not what you would call an extremely experienced forza guy, but I have played a good amount of racers and this game just looked too damn good to pass on. Getting back to playing now! Hope everyone else is having a blast with this game too!

P.s. day/night cycle is awesome!

TEH-CJ

Banned
I don't know the answer to all your questions as I've only put about an hour into the game, but I can say that you can customize your car in both appearance and tuning, though the tuning appears simplified. That said, there might be a depth to it I just haven't dug too deep into that stuff yet.

For me, the sound effects of the cars seemed great.

This game treads the line between sim and arcade. It's very Project Gotham-like. It even has kudos, though they don't call it that. (Though there is an achievement called "Kudos to you!")

And of course you can race online.

My best advice to you is: RUN TO THE STORE AND GET THIS GAME - IT'S FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC.

ok awesome, thanks mate.

Megasoum

Banned
Ugh...yeah the only thing I'm not really a fan of so far are the skill based PR Stunts...maybe it's just because I suck at them but damn, they are hard!

GlamFM

Banned
Ok guys please help.

can you race online?

can you get ferraris?

thanks.

1. Customize, upgrade however not tweak any settings.
2. I think they are great - people here seem to disagree.
4. Both. Really.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.

Now go out and buy it.

Ugh...yeah the only thing I'm not really a fan of so far are the skill based PR Stunts...maybe it's just because I suck at them but damn, they are hard!

Same here. I´m really bad at drifting.

Hey I just bought the game to tonight! Going to unwrap it now and dig in. So what the deal with the gaf club?
How do I join, all my friends like shooters so I need some racing friends. Going to pick up most wanted next week as well.

zorbsie

Hey I just bought the game to tonight! Going to unwrap it now and dig in. So what the deal with the gaf club?
How do I join, all my friends like shooters so I need some racing friends. Going to pick up most wanted next week as well.

Drive up to the car club banner and search for GAF. Send a request and we'll set you up.

KePoW

Banned

I might as well ask this here... can someone tell me the very simple basics of drifting. Because I've always been a street car person who knows absolutely nothing about drifting or rally.

When doing a turn, are you supposed to:

1.) Hold the brake while still accelerating fully?
2.) Hold the brake while completely letting go of accelerator?
3.) Use e-brake with either throttle or no throttle?

Again, I know nothing about how to purposely drift.

TEH-CJ

Banned
1. Customize, upgrade however not tweak any settings.
2. I think they are great - people here seem to disagree.
4. Both. Really.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.

Now go out and buy it.

Just bought it.

where is the ferrari 458? :(

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

Destruction. Hit every sign you see. With some drifts in the middle (for the sideswipe +1000) and near missing/speeding when there are no signs around.

GlamFM

Banned
OK. I just had to force myself to stop playing after a 5 hour session.
What a fantastic game - my personal GOTY for sure.

My favorite part is the stuff I thought I wouldn´t care for.

The festival and the atmosphere it crates is fantastic and the story, although really thin, gives all the driving a nice sense of purpose.

Incredible game.

Season pass - here I come.

I should be studying for my advertising test tomorrow, but I've been playing Horizon instead. This game is incredible. Playing this game brings me back to the days of playing NFS: Underground 2 on the PS2. I absolutely love driving the FR-S. It's so much fun to drive!

Would you like a code for it? :)
I'll take one if you got extras somehow.

thinking of going back to driving games again, and this seems a good start

is the controller enough to play this game or will my experience be better with that wireless wheel controller

Man, I just cannot put this game down.

I played a ton of online races today, and had a lot of fun. A few Playground developers joined the room and it was pretty neat to race against them. The one thing playing a bunch of online races has made me realize, is that I really need to find a car in every class that I really like to drive and am familiar with. In Forza 2 and 3, I raced almost exclusively America Muscle cars online, but this is a whole different game.

Also, the ForzaGAF Car Club is the shit. It's so awesome seeing all these messages pop up when someones beats your time, or speed. Really makes the game feel alive. I'm really looking forward to racing online with other ForzaGAF'rs at some point.

Megasoum

Banned
Holy Shit at that Ferrari GTO engine sound... /drool

I just had a bit of an extasy moment lol. They lend you the GTO to do a photo op where you have to drive to the Festival's main stage. Getting in the car and revving the beast of an engine in the middle of a sunset with the two GTO headlights popped-up in front of the hood and the festival fireworks in the distance.....incredible.

My first real "WOW" out loud of the game lol.

Drive up to the car club banner and search for GAF. Send a request and we'll set you up.

Hey thanks I sent a request. Played some single player and a few multiplayer matches tonight. Im blown away at the quality of this game. I was really looking forward to Most Wanted which I'm still going to get but Horizon is an amazing game. It's more arcade like than I expected which I absolutely love.

thinking of going back to driving games again, and this seems a good start

is the controller enough to play this game or will my experience be better with that wireless wheel controller
I've had a ton of fun with both. I find myself switching every so often depending on my view. If I'm feeling cockpit view, I turn on the wireless speed wheel. If I'm feeling third person, then I use the controller. Both work very well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Love the game. I find myself using cockpit view when crusing between events and outside the car view in racing. In Forza 4 I always use cockpit view however.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh and I call BS on the dev saying that the only race in the game that uses rubberbanding is the intro race...

Either there's rubberbanding in every race or I'm the luckiest guy alive in the last lap of every single races so far lol.

Top Bottom