• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

DJ_Lae

I'm kind of feeling the same right now too, at least currently. I played the hell out of the three proper forza games all gen, but TDU was a favorite of mine that no one seemed to care about copying. It took like 6 years, but this is pretty much what I wanted from a TDU sequel, although I wish it were a proper online multiplayer world too.

I'm still going to get wet for a sexy forza 5 on the new xbox, but I'm also excited about where they take this franchise.

Yeah, a properly polished TDU/TDU2 with a massive map and with driving physics like Horizon would be fantastic and it gives them room to improve for a Horizon 2.

Do the TDU style multiplayer but make it less compartmentalized and that would be nice too. So instead of AI racers you'd have a couple dozen humans tooling around.

GlamFM

Banned
This game is nice, and a great change in pace. I just can't believe you would be looking forward to another one of these than the deep full fledged game that FM is?

I mean there was 2 years worth of content.

Oh OK... I thought you were being sarcastic. ;)

Yeah - I actually think Horizon has more room to grow and that´s what makes me more excited.

I played all the FMs on 360 and I think they got it down now. Add weather and a day/night cycle to it and call it Forza Motosport 5.

I will buy it of course - but the future of the Horizon "franchise" has my curiosity.

Jamesways

Ok, I was all set to post a "unpopular" opinion on this game late last week.

Gave it a few days, and it just did nothing for me, it wasn't grabbing me at all. The deal was, aside from the minor nitpicks about the too much yellow/orange tint in cockpit depending on the time of day, open road racing just ain't my thing. Technically it's fantastic, I just usually like to stick to circuits.

I had this big spiel ready about how my motorsport fantasy is being strapped into a MC12 GT1 racing around Spa in the rain pretending I'm a driver in a close race for the Championship, not driving a some VW Corrado around Colarado highways.

But godamm if this isn't one of the most FUN racing games I've played! I felt obliged to give it a bit more time since I bought the LCE, and now I simply can't stop playing it. It's so addictive. I'm even really digging a good portion of the soundtrack. Once you get a good car list going and get a few wristbands, this game just really takes off. I'm on the second to last wristband and there's still so much to do yet.

I can't get enough of the street races right now. I just love the traffic added in. I went from wanting to trade this in over a few days to now wondering when I can sneak time in for just another couple races- staying up late, up early before work, when the wife's busy, etc. That's always the sign of a good racing game for me.

Mohonky

Enjoying the soundtrack. That was one of the things I loved about Project Gotham, it always had a killer soundtrack with the likes of Auto Aggression, Edge of Dawn, Insekt and other Industrial / Dark Electronic artists. Hearing Hot Chip - Over and Over come on the in game radio brought back some PGR memories.

Really enjoying this game and surprised to find myself doing bits of every event, even the PR stunt stuff. There is a bit too much of that stupid ego / attitude from some characters that drives me up the wall but at least it's not in the same league as the NFS 'sup dawg' territory and they've also managed to avoid the 'dude bro' fest that has been gradually raping the DiRT series.

Great arcade racer and something for them to really build upon. Add some more variety to the playing environment and this could be a real hit. Not a replacement for PGR at this point but if they manage to expand upon the environment to incorporate some cityscapes, suburbs etc....it might well turn out to be very close.

U2NUMB

So as we found out yesterday in our free roam session the day and night cycle in this game is kinda weird. The full cycle takes around 35-45 minutes but night time is only 7 minutes. Makes it really hard to complete those night trips in online free roam.

Simple. After each night one restart the free roam with time starting at early evening. But plan it out before you start it up. My friends and I had no issues getting them done and never had to wait for the day cycle to pass.

Shaneus

Cool, that's what I had noted down myself.
Both bumper *and* bonnet.

My post here runs through the issue with examples as detailed as you'll ever get :)

Also apparently there are no god rays when driving using cockpit cam, though I don't know if this affects the photo mode or not (I don't see why it would).

Thanks for passing it on, Helios! Don't forget the vibration thing and the sound thing :) (and the occasional screen tearing with bigshot mode thing)

And one more... there's no controller option that lets me have gas as RT, brake as LT, handbrake/clutch as RB and change camera as LB. The only option that lets me have the shoulder buttons as such also flips the triggers so gas is on the left :(

Klocker

Helios please ask to add in the Right stick Gas/break (as in F4 alt 12) for those that have physical issues pulling the triggers.. thx

This game is amazing.

Visually stunning and fun. I love it so far (first couple of hours or so).

And the OST is not bad either. Kudos to Playground.

AirBrian

I sat down on Saturday and intended on playing for 30 minutes or so before a football game...2 hours later I'm still just cruising around. I've done just 3 events, found 2 barns, and driven on just 40% of the roads in the game. I f'n love this game.

Lima

So about the online free roam challenges that require 8 players. I think we should organize to do them with the club sometime. Easy 1 million credits each for just a few minutes work.

So about the online free roam challenges that require 8 players. I think we should organize to do them with the club sometime. Easy 1 million credits each for just a few minutes work.

Forza GAF organize?

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Forza GAF Club

Hey guys, from now on, the Forza GAF Club is invite only, if anyone wants to join please send me a private message with your gamertag, this will eliminate randoms completely.

What triggers the barn finds? I've not done a lot of racing or levelling and on 5/9.

Love prowling around in my old Mini looking for them, shame there's so few and they aren't harder to discover.

RawNuts

I think you may be underestimating them; I had a pretty good group of 6 people who were all intent on doing Sprint Challenge 2, where you have to keep 200+mph down all of I-70 and finish within 5 seconds of each other. Sounds simple, but we spent a bunch of attempts on it and still couldn't get it.

If we do get something together though, I would love to be a part of it.

sneaky77

What triggers the barn finds? I've not done a lot of racing or levelling and on 5/9.

Love prowling around in my old Mini looking for them, shame there's so few and they aren't harder to discover.

i am ok with them not being harder to discover, a bigger number would be cool.. but with the size of the world 9 seems fair.

I am not sure what triggers it, it may be road % discovered? Since I mostly been just driving around and have only done like 3 or 4 races.

Which gets to my point, I am finding it right now too addictive to just cruise and not do any races lol

I'm at 8/9 barn finds, but I've driven all the roads, reached 1st place popularity and completed all the showcase events. Just started the orange wristband events though.

9 finds feels about right. TDU had more, but you needed to find a bunch of those to equal out to an actual car. So Horizon has fewer, but more rewarding finds. That said, I'm still missing about 10 discount signs - they must be hidden in nooks and crannies at this point.

Maybe it's related to progress in completing sponsor challenges? I have no idea.

RawNuts

I have a feeling that barns are either triggered by time spent in game or by mileage; my last 2 barns triggered after I had 100% completion.

ElyrionX

This game is nice, and a great change in pace. I just can't believe you would be looking forward to another one of these than the deep full fledged game that FM is?

I mean there was 2 years worth of content.

If I had to choose between FM5 or FH2. I'd take FH2 any time.

This game has turned out to be one of the most pleasant surprises of the entire console generation. I've played daily since it released and still can't seem to get enough.

Gonna try and get the last 10 or so discount signs later tonight. I found several in and around farmhouses in Gladstone that were far enough from the main road that they didn't show up on the map when I drove by, and I'll bet the remaining ones are similarly tucked out of the way.

Thankfully the interwebs has maps for when I inevitably cave and opt for the easy way out.

I think you may be underestimating them; I had a pretty good group of 6 people who were all intent on doing Sprint Challenge 2, where you have to keep 200+mph down all of I-70 and finish within 5 seconds of each other. Sounds simple, but we spent a bunch of attempts on it and still couldn't get it.

This sounds like a lot of fun, but just imagine if there were traffic in free-roam: having civvies in Priuses clogging up the lanes would likely make the interstate challenges impossible, but the prospective carnage would certainly make it worth a shot, :lol.

I'll be up for some co-op challenges over the weekend.

RawNuts

Beating nanaw's speed traps feels so good that I could touch myself.

...then I log in later to see that he has taken them all back.

golem

I still think they should have learned more from TDU. If Horizon becomes a franchise I hope they manage to do a full online freeroaming game ala TDU, complete with Houses and Club Houses where you can display your cars and walk around them ala AutoVista.

Just imagine Auto Vista inside a garage with cars that are not only yours, but also your friends.

*drooooooool*

Yeah I enjoyed the garages in PGR probably a bit too much.

I would pay for that DLC.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Beating nanaw's speed traps feels so good that I could touch myself.

...then I log in later to see that he has taken them all back.

I'm pretty stuck on a few of them now.

I did just finish the game though, so they are pretty much all I have left to keep doing. I also need to figure out where the last speed zone I can't find is.

I'm scared guys. I was playing and the hurricane knocked my power out. I hope it wasn't saving at the time or my save file might be corrupted. I was on the last set of events, I can do them again but I would rather not have to do all the work I put into my cars again.

I love the multiplayer, but people who try to run you off the road are so annoying, lol. I don't mind bumps here and there because that's part of the game, but people who smash into you going 140MPH while you're taking a sharp turn at like 50MPH drive me nuts.

I have to say, I was racing Route 27 (I think) at night online and it, more than ever hit me how good looking this game really is. Among other things, something about the way the headlights of the two dudes in front of me battling it out for first were hitting everything just looked real good.

Gek54

If I had to choose between FM5 or FH2. I'd take FH2 any time.

As much as I love driving sims, the Forza Motorsports/Gran Turismo formula has gone stale and now bores me to tears, this is from someone who has day one'd every single GT/Forza. After 10s of thousands of laps on the same sterile tracks we have been driving for the last 15 years in Forza/GT, Im done. To me now they are little more than tech demos.

Horizon is my home now.

saunderez

I'm scared guys. I was playing and the hurricane knocked my power out. I hope it wasn't saving at the time or my save file might be corrupted. I was on the last set of events, I can do them again but I would rather not have to do all the work I put into my cars again.

You should be right, well designed games don't overwrite the previous save until they've confirmed the new save is legit.

Played this the other day. Beautiful game, didn't care much for the physics but they don't bother me for this kind of game. Framerate also didn't bother me. It's all about cruising in a gorgeous setting. It was the same for TDU, terrible physics but I still played it alot.

You are comparing TDU physics to the one in FH now? Come on! You need to turn off all the assists in FH and then try it.

elektrixx

Banned
The progression feels just right. I personally found (nearly) all the discount signs by driving on every road before doing anything, but it still offers other ways to save cash by doing PR stunts.

I like being in this much control of how much credit I can save by grinding. Normally boring; I find it quite entertaining to min/max my playthrough.

p3tran

Banned
As much as I love driving sims, the Forza Motorsports/Gran Turismo formula has gone stale and now bores me to tears, this is from someone who has day one'd every single GT/Forza. After 10s of thousands of laps on the same sterile tracks we have been driving for the last 15 years in Forza/GT, Im done. To me now they are little more than tech demos.

Horizon is my home now

thats a bold statement my friend! lets see how it stacks up to time.
already I have finished everything, even got 1000/1000.
with forza series I never had a problem firing it up and perfecting a lap or a car.
I think the above two things do not have as much depth in horizon, at least in this first game.
laps, I have some concerns that it could be a little like pgr laptimes, where a gesture of luck like a good rail bounce will give an advantage, and car tuning, its only up to the level of choosing the right parts.
it has other things, yes, but we will see those in time.
as it is, it will be my "goto fun game", where before something like blur or pgr or nfs or whatever was.

what playground and t10 will do to give more depth and keep it fresh, we will see.
the rally expansion pack seems a good idea, and if implemented correctly, it is something towards what I like.

dont want to sound wrong here, its a great game, a fantastic first offspring!
a next gen open forza WITH race tracks and even more sim detail and more performance upgrades detail than forza4, now that would probably be my preference too, but I'm not firing forza 4 because of horizon 1 yet :)

bedlamite

I highly doubt we'd go back to Colorado for FH2 (there HAS to be a sequel, right? FM is a great game, no doubt, but Horizon is much more marketable than FM's sterile racing). All the Horizon games really need to be set around is racing with that music festival setting no? Imagine the game set in the mountain passes of Japan, or a TDU-esque Hawaii setting? the sky's the limit, and I'm fucking drooling here just thinking of the possibilities.

GlamFM

Banned
I highly doubt we'd go back to Colorado for FH2 (there HAS to be a sequel, right? FM is a great game, no doubt, but Horizon is much more marketable than FM's sterile racing). All the Horizon games really need to be set around is racing with that music festival setting no? Imagine the game set in the mountain passes of Japan, or a TDU-esque Hawaii setting? the sky's the limit, and I'm fucking drooling here just thinking of the possibilities.

Driving on the left side of the road? Insta-no buy.

ElyrionX

Horizon is my home now.

I think the biggest issue with the FM and GT games is that they have failed so terribly at creating a compelling career mode or single player experience. Moving from FM2 to FM3 was really more of a tech jump than anything else. The experience was so dull that I didn't even bother picking up FM4. Same goes for GT5 though at least that game had the interesting kart and NASCAR and miscellaneous events to spice things up occasionally.

In terms of open world racing with semi-realistic physics, FH almost perfects the formula laid down by TDU for this gen. I thought Midnight Club LA was excellent as well if not for a lackluster car list and driving physics that were just a bit lacking.

eso76

HURRICANE ALERT !
* stay at home, lock all doors and windows, use different save files for your games and save often *

paischtu

Neo Member
Gonna start some free-roam again tomorrow evening ( around 7-8 pm CET ). I'll send an invite to all club members if some people want to join in on finishing the night out challenges ;)

Gonna start some free-roam again tomorrow evening ( around 7-8 pm CET ). I'll send an invite to all club members if some people want to join in on finishing the night out challenges ;)

Depends, do you know if an Xbox and projector can be powered by some sort of a bicycle pedal system?

paischtu

Neo Member
Probably won't work because the Xbox takes way too much power, you can barely power a lamp with bicycles :p

Did they tell you when the power will be restored yet?

Top Bottom