• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

saladine1

nice, although overdone

I know they've added a little creativity but it still sounds very close to the real thing.

I've driven a mate's Ferrari 458 and Lambo Gallardo through the M5 tunnel here in Sydney.
I can say it's unfuckingbelievably loud and echoey. Windows down, in the middle of the night with no traffic and I swear, it was the most bone-chilling ride and sounds I have ever experienced..

On another note, Forza Horizon's handling compared to everything else in it's class, is fucking sublime..that's all i'm going to say..

I know they've added a little creativity but it still sounds very close to the real thing.

I've driven a mate's Ferrari 458 and Lambo Gallardo through the M5 tunnel here in Sydney.
I can say it's unfuckingbelievably loud and echoey. Windows down, in the middle of the night with no traffic and I swear, it was the most bone-chilling ride and sounds I have ever experienced..

On another note, Forza Horizon's handling compared to everything else in it's class, is fucking sublime..that's all i'm going to say..

08cnd-rums.2.184.jpg

"You dont go to play Forza as the game you want. You play Forza as the game you have."

p3tran

Banned
Disagree.

Depending on the car and tunnel, it can get super loud and they actually nailed it pretty well - Especially since you are outside the car here, right behind the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpUS1brDMvo and that's still inside the car.

ok, thats not a tunnel, thats a 2-car wide tube, and that car has one of the most aggressive sounding engines in the world :)

Now, I beat ALL your asses in ALL monthly rival events! lets see some competition here!
the most difficult to beat was Diablohead in "arch rival". I had to change the car tuning two times to beat you diablo ;]

**Also, playground must put on the leaderboards an indicator whether the lap was clean!
Not "clean" as in forza clean, since you can go happy bouncing with no penalty, but at least that the player did not use "rewind".

guys from playground that may be reading, please write this down along with the joypad feedback and the player's engine noise that need some adjustment.

I highly doubt we'd go back to Colorado for FH2 (there HAS to be a sequel, right? FM is a great game, no doubt, but Horizon is much more marketable than FM's sterile racing). All the Horizon games really need to be set around is racing with that music festival setting no? Imagine the game set in the mountain passes of Japan, or a TDU-esque Hawaii setting? the sky's the limit, and I'm fucking drooling here just thinking of the possibilities.

New Zealand, please. Put in 'New Zealand Road' in Google and just... imagine.

jcutner

Was trying out most wanted and oh my god the vibration is incredible. Slammed into a wall and my arms shook from the vibration. Also, there's horns.

So I guess not only does EA have exclusivity to Porsche, but also vibration and horns :(

Not to mention the cars sound incredible.

With that said, game didn't pull me in at all - and I went right back to Horizon after an hour

saladine1

As amazing as Horizon is, we don't even know if Playground Games will stick around with Turn 10/MS next gen. They could go it alone.

However, MS would be foolish to let them go. So, if there is another Horizon, it would have to stay as an open road racer.
It would be amazing to see them do another city in another country too. Mix it up to keep it fresh..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how good is the MS wireless wheel? First glance it looks stupid - no anchor point how can it be anything other than a wii wheel style gimmick? But is there more to it than that?

Horizon must stay on the roads. I'm sick~tired of city/streets racing games.

ultimately its down to how the tracks are designed. If city means lots of 90 degree turns then I'm not interested. If it means tracks like Edinburgh or St Petersburg in PGR then yes please.

are there windy races more like circuit races in Horizon? or are they all open, wide roads?

derFeef

how good is the MS wireless wheel? First glance it looks stupid - no anchor point how can it be anything other than a wii wheel style gimmick? But is there more to it than that?

Felt great with the demo, even Forza 4 handles quite good. You will maybe not be competitive, but it's fun and it works. You can't compare it to the wii wheel, different worlds.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

I got mine yesterday and so far.. I don't like it.

Maybe I need to spend more time with it, but that's hard when I play so terrible with it.

Arucardo

Haha, holy shit! The store I pre-ordered from just sent me 5 different pre order bonus codes, it's most likely all the pre order cars. They're not labeled though so I don't know which one is which. I could probably get a decent amount of money for all of these if I decided to sell them.

Haha, holy shit! The store I pre-ordered from just sent me 5 different pre order bonus codes, it's most likely all the pre order cars. They're not labeled though so I don't know which one is which. I could probably get a decent amount of money for all of these if I decided to sell them.

Could i just have one of the codes for free?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Send them all to me and I will verify their validity via Xbox.com

Shaneus

Don't get the wireless wheel confused with the speed wheel. The MS force feedback wheel is more commonly referred to as the wireless wheel:
300px-Xbox360wirelesswheel.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Wireless_Racing_Wheel

the other is the MS Wireless Speed Wheel:
87V48.jpg

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Controllers/Xbox-360-Wireless-Speed-Wheel

Just to stop the confusion :)

The_Monk

Yesterday I was so tired after work and University but I had to play just a bit, today I'm much more rested and I only need my Coffee fix, do some work and play some more. I can't wait to play this again. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun on a game to be honest!

I know this is the Horizon thread, but this is what reverb should sound like....for future's sake Turn 10/Playground Gmaes..:)

Quick and dirty video of the reverb in the tunnels in NFS Most Wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CN9x31XAAw

I get a hard on every time I drive through here..

That sounds fantastic.

Does the game have manual transmissions yet? It's the one thing that bugged me about Hot Pursuit - I found it boring to be constantly stuck with an auto?

I want to also say that it's not particularly overdone. Certainly an extreme example of those tunnels, but there are a few tunnels where I live (Brisbane Clem 7) that make my car sound fucking insane.

saladine1

That sounds fantastic.

Does the game have manual transmissions yet? It's the one thing that bugged me about Hot Pursuit - I found it boring to be constantly stuck with an auto?

I want to also say that it's not particularly overdone. Certainly an extreme example of those tunnels, but there are a few tunnels where I live (Brisbane Clem 7) that make my car sound fucking insane.

It doesn't have manual transmission nor does it have a bonnet view.
I don't know why they are so against it. It kills the experience that's for sure.
Two massive sins imo..

Coldsnap

Switched over to a controller from the speed wheel last night. I gotta say I really like the speed wheel compared to the controller. On the controller i do that weird thing where you bump the directional stick to turn.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't get the wireless wheel confused with the speed wheel. The MS force feedback wheel is more commonly referred to as the wireless wheel:
300px-Xbox360wirelesswheel.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Wireless_Racing_Wheel

the other is the MS Wireless Speed Wheel:
87V48.jpg

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Controllers/Xbox-360-Wireless-Speed-Wheel

Just to stop the confusion :)

ok, then I mean the speed wheel. Any good?

What do you mean?

the demo had only open road racing - big, wide highways with sweeping curves and the occasional sharper corner. PGR 3 had tight city courses which often felt more like a GP circuit with houses on the sides. I'd like a mix of the two, not just the former.

DD

the demo had only open road racing - big, wide highways with sweeping curves and the occasional sharper corner. PGR 3 had tight city courses which often felt more like a GP circuit with houses on the sides. I'd like a mix of the two, not just the former.
Ah, there are some small cities in the game too! =)

Dave_6

Haha played this ~2 hours last night and didn't really do anything except try out a lot of the cars in the club garage :) I'm already the Festival champ but I need to finish up the remaining races that are left and still need to beat
Darius and take his 599XX.

GlamFM

Banned
I´m a little confused. How do I get the Wheelin' 'n Dealin' achievement?

How do I sell something in the game - can´t seem to find it.

thank you.

GlamFM

Banned
-put up something in your storefront
-write your gamertag here

someone buys and thats it

This is my problem right there - where is my storefront? I found something that could be it, but I can´t seem to upload anything. I can only select stuff that I bought ( wich I can´t sell because it´s locked ), but my car designs don´t show up.

p3tran

Banned
its in design shop, under my shared designs, but if you havent got any,
go to the design shop, go to design creator, and create *anything* ,even two simple vinyl blocks.
group it, press 'save vinyl group', name it and then game asks if you want to upload vinyl group.

remember that you cant upload vinyls or complete designs if they contain locked stuff from other guys.
also, remember that you have to save the design as a design, and not only save on the car, if you have your own designs that you want to put up ;)

GlamFM

Banned
its in design shop, under my shared designs, but if you havent got any,
go to the design shop, go to design creator, and create *anything* ,even two simple vinyl blocks.
group it, press 'save vinyl group', name it and then game asks if you want to upload vinyl group.

remember that you cant upload vinyls or complete designs if they contain locked stuff from other guys.
also, remember that you have to save the design as a design, and not only save on the car, if you have your own designs that you want to put up ;)

Thank you!

ok, then I mean the speed wheel. Any good?

I brought the MS Wireless Speed Wheel with Forza 4 and that's great. I will not be the best pilot in the world but with that wheel I have won many race in multiplayer, also coming first, in Horizon too.

Yes, is not a wheel for real enthusiast but is very functional and easy to set up and work like a charm: just rest your elbows on your legs and you can play easily cross-legged on the couch.

The only issue is the lack of some buttons which makes it incompatible with some other games.

Arucardo

Unfortunately the WV was the fourth code I entered :T , BUT I'm feeling generous so I'm either pm'ing you a 370Z or a Ferrari 458, heh. One of the cars was named just "Forza Horizon Bonus Car" when redeemed unlike the rest so I don't know which one you're getting. Let me know though!

secretly hoping it's the 458, since the spider is already in the game

EDIT: Can't wait to drive dat SLS AMG when I get home on Friday!

Unfortunately the WV was the fourth code I entered :T , BUT I'm feeling generous so I'm either pm'ing you a 370Z or a Ferrari 458, heh. One of the cars was named just "Forza Horizon Bonus Car" when redeemed unlike the rest so I don't know which one you're getting. Let me know though!

secretly hoping it's the 458, since the spider is already in the game

EDIT: Can't wait to drive dat SLS AMG when I get home on Friday!

Arucardo, thanks again. It was the 370Z which i'm more than happy with.

Gek54

thats a bold statement my friend! lets see how it stacks up to time.
already I have finished everything, even got 1000/1000.
with forza series I never had a problem firing it up and perfecting a lap or a car.
I think the above two things do not have as much depth in horizon, at least in this first game.
laps, I have some concerns that it could be a little like pgr laptimes, where a gesture of luck like a good rail bounce will give an advantage, and car tuning, its only up to the level of choosing the right parts.
it has other things, yes, but we will see those in time.
as it is, it will be my "goto fun game", where before something like blur or pgr or nfs or whatever was.

what playground and t10 will do to give more depth and keep it fresh, we will see.
the rally expansion pack seems a good idea, and if implemented correctly, it is something towards what I like.

dont want to sound wrong here, its a great game, a fantastic first offspring!
a next gen open forza WITH race tracks and even more sim detail and more performance upgrades detail than forza4, now that would probably be my preference too, but I'm not firing forza 4 because of horizon 1 yet :)

I would rather think I am chasing someone's driving skill than to think I am chasing their tune. I always preferred the rival challenges in FM4 where everyone had the exact same car, it saved me the frustration in thinking that I could be missing 1 of the hundreds of the fine tunes that is keeping me from putting down a competitive time or that I just beat someone not simply because I drove better but because luckily I had a better tune. Also arguably an issue in Horizon but I feel Horizon provides a much more manageable scope of variables, at least one that better suits my attention span and tuning IQ. I do miss seeing the hp/tq curves of the dyno chart though.

I have mixed feelings on the wall bouncing. It happens to a degree in real life motorsports, even WRC drivers will purposely deflect off snow banks so I am not completely turned off by it. The punishment could always be more realistic.

I would also go for some autocross in horizon, both FM1 and FM4 style.

Setup-free games/modes - I'm with you a 1000%, Gek. It's one of those things I'd like to see completely disappear from competitive racing games. Whether it's iRacing's stock series, or FM4's Locked down Rivals events, it's such a joy not to have to waste time screwing around with developing setups. Having no setups at all in F:H is a huge plus in my book.

Phinor

Uh, the shop I pre-ordered from and that promised no pre-order bonuses at all just sent me five different pre-order bonus keys. Is there any way to check what this stuff is without using it or does it show before it is redeemed? It might be five different ones or who knows, five of the same stuff.

edit: Well it was four different cars and a pre-order incentive bonus (what's that?)

p3tran

Banned
now dont you two guys spoil my forza with your no tune-wall bouncing nonsense ideas! :)))
you can always go "auto-tune" or even "drivatar" :p and use my tuned cars or somebody else's, you dont need to have a sim feature removed ffs :))))

also, I noticed driving around in the R classes sometimes pronounces the 30hz difference from proper forza, but in (s)lower classes its ok
hopefully next horizon, next hardware, never again 30fps

Arucardo

Setup-free games/modes - I'm with you a 1000%, Gek. It's one of those things I'd like to see completely disappear from competitive racing games. Whether it's iRacing's stock series, or FM4's Locked down Rivals events, it's such a joy not to have to waste time screwing around with developing setups. Having no setups at all in F:H is a huge plus in my book.

I'm with you, I love the stock races in F3, F4 and Horizon, I just wish Horizon had more of them right now. There's only a handful or events currently in the "pure skill" lobby which is a shame.

Uh, the shop I pre-ordered from and that promised no pre-order bonuses at all just sent me five different pre-order bonus keys. Is there any way to check what this stuff is without using it or does it show before it is redeemed? It might be five different ones or who knows, five of the same stuff.

edit: Well it was four different cars and a pre-order incentive bonus (what's that?)

Are you perhaps in one of the Nordic countries? did you order from coolshop? :D The pre-order incentive bonus is the Ferrari 458.

The_Monk

I get my game tomorrow, woo :( 1 week late.

Stay strong man, almost there!

I have something like 4 roads remaining to be driven but I can see them on the map as well 15 Discount Signs to find and not one with the pink circle in the map.

I wonder how hard these will be to get. Guess I'll just keep doing races since I'm still doing Pink + Orange races. Right?

Top Bottom