• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

You can just go to the design storefront, choose search all designs and then scroll all the way down and there will be the gamertag option. Just use my gamertag and you all set :)

My Gamertag is the same as my name on GAF ;)

AirBrian

With the mentions of PGR in this thread, it would be awesome if one of the radio stations was classical.

(And yes, I know you can just use the Xbox custom music dealio.)

Nista

I want to try multiplayer soon. I still crash into things a bit too often for my taste at high speeds, so I'd feel bad racing with you guys until I get a handle on it. Or maybe it's just the Venom. :p

I want to try multiplayer soon. I still crash into things a bit too often for my taste at high speeds, so I'd feel bad racing with you guys until I get a handle on it. Or maybe it's just the Venom. :p

DAT

hennessy3.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Totally agree. The open world between races makes such a huge difference. It's so much easier to take a new car out for a spin, whereas usually your car choices in FM4 are dictated by whatever race comes up next in career.

I think its a shame that so many people stuck with Career mode to dictate how they played Forza 4. I know its partly Turn 10's fault for having a crappy Career mode, but if you kinda just put that part on the backburner, things opened up a lot more in terms of enjoying the game how you wanted to.

meppi

I've really fallen in love with this game this past week.
I think this might be the most fun. I had with a racing game since F355 Challenge. :)

Just sad to see only one person on my friendliest playing it as well.
If anyone would like to add me for some rival challenges, it's meppi64.
Haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

Really hope this game ends up doing incredibly well and this turns into a series.

Dave_6

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you should leverage the fact that your engine doesn't get damaged. That race I was talking about (the one with Ramona, the Oakley one I think... or it might've been Bose. I dunno) I believe can only be won with a combination of careful braking and serious downshifting. There's a corner toward the end of the track where you go from at least third (possibly fourth) to first. If you use a handbrake you break traction and oversteer (even in a 4WD) and if you just do heavy braking/regular downshifting you bleed too much speed and tend to oversteer. But with only heavy downshifting (combined with a TINY amount of braking) you lose just enough traction to get yourself around the corner, whilst being able to pull it back in again.

This probably isn't new to you at all (given I've only JUST earned the yellow wristband) but I spent a good hour and a half on that race and eventually sussed that technique out.

I'll have to try that since I've been using an automatic (all assists off though) :/

derFeef

Where abouts are you in the campaign? I just got the gold wristband.

Green :/
I never was really good at driving games, but here though the AI is pulling off at the start even and after a while in the races they are unreachable. First set of street races, the third race is just impossible to get into the top 5.

AirBrian

I never was really good at driving games, but here though the AI is pulling off at the start even and after a while in the races they are unreachable. First set of street races, the third race is just impossible to get into the top 5.

Are you quitting the race early?

What difficulty are you on?

Well there's no shame in putting the difficulty down a bit. The bump from medium to easy is only like 5% less earnings, should help with the tough races.

The_Monk

^ Those photos seem a little strange man.

Just got my Gold Wristband. And got my 205. I'm ready for Rally now (until H3rtz do something VW Rabbit related) :p

I have 3 roads left to drive but I can find the gray areas anywhere, around 10-15 Discount signs to find (and there is not a single pink dot on the map) and 1-2 speed cameras. Seems it's going to be a pain to get things.

As usual, getting a lot of fun, I sink a couple of hours and it feels like I played 10 minutes. So good.

Well there's no shame in putting the difficulty down a bit. The bump from medium to easy is only like 5% less earnings, should help with the tough races.

Yup, or use more assists. There is nothing wrong with using what you need to get use to the game. Eventually you might want to slowly turn off as many as you can. Trust me, the game really comes alive once you turn off the assists.

derFeef

Yup, or use more assists. There is nothing wrong with using what you need to get use to the game. Eventually you might want to slowly turn off as many as you can. Trust me, the game really comes alive once you turn off the assists.

I don't think that would help me, love the handling and it really is mostly that the AI guys just pull ahead during the whole race. I guess I should just upgrade the cars so I can be faster, but that somehow feels like cheating, lol.

I don't think that would help me, love the handling and it really is mostly that the AI guys just pull ahead during the whole race. I guess I should just upgrade the cars so I can be faster, but that somehow feels like cheating, lol.

Are you not running the cars at the top of the class?

Shaneus

There really isn't, but I started with insane and everything off (except when using the wheel, I turned on auto clutch) and every race bar the first rubber-banded one require near perfection.

I kinda love it.

Medium and all assists off besides ABS and shifting. The first few races were a breeze.
Some things I do to help before a race (I use a controller only, for what its worth):

* Pick the car you want to use (if its not a showcase event where you're given the car), and just drive it around for kicks for a while. Take a nice long cruise through some varied terrain. Just to get to know the sounds, get a basic handle on the acceleration, braking etc.

* Try to tackle a long stretch of road as if it was a race - braking late, trying to hit apexes, and basically trying to see how much speed you can take through a variety of different corners while maintaining stability. You can get a solid handle on how much you can push a car into the corners at speed, and how much counter-steer or braking you'll need to pull it off.

* Last bit, fuck around and try some drifting to see how well the car handles it. I usually do this in Beaumont or Carson or areas with a lot of sharp 90 degree turns. Even though I tend to avoid drifting in the actual racing events, as it tends to scrub too much speed I do find that it mentally limbers me up. If you can handle drifting for a bit you've got a good feel for the tolerances in the car, and you'll find it easier to be calm at speed in the events, and easier to just get in the zone and go by feel.

* For the faster cars I go one step beyond this and try a nice long cruise where I try to maintain a good speed while staying within the legal lanes and carefully avoiding all traffic. This gives me a better handle on the sensitivity of the braking - Horizon is very touchy and even the slightest pressure can activate the ABS. But within a few minutes of driving this way you'll find the sweet spots and how you can feather the brakes to get more fine-grained control.

Yeah, I'm taking my sweet time with this game, but this works for me. It allows me to get to know each car through a nice mix of cruising/race techniques and drifting, and that's what I look for in this kind of game (and what I haven't been able to do until Horizon).

-----------------

What I still suck at is launching off the line at the beginning of a race. I get lucky every once in a while, but for the most part I watch as every other car speeds past me, and I have to catch up from the back.

Arucardo

You can keep up with the AI at the start if you're using manual with clutch, you can easily make 2 or 3 places at the launch. I forget if I was playing on hard or insane though.

What do you mean? =P

Aspect ratio is off (too narrow, like the picture has been horizontally shrunk) and it's even more compressed than it should be.

Broman1978

Ok, sorry about that. I got something wrong with my monitors resolution, so they looked a bit strange when downloading them from My Forza=P When I uploaded them the 800x600 resolution looked good on my end but I will fix it from now on=P

Shaneus

Fuuuuck... nice work, H3rtZ (I'm used to capitalizing now, after searching for you so damn frequently :p). Any chance we'll see that (and the other, similar one... was it Nolan racing? Something like that, I think. The one that was used as an IRL livery) in Horizon?

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm taking my sweet time with this game, but this works for me. It allows me to get to know each car through a nice mix of cruising/race techniques and drifting, and that's what I look for in this kind of game (and what I haven't been able to do until Horizon).

YESSS! Someone who really gets it! I feel like I owe it to myself, PG, T10 ... I dunno ... I just have to take it easy and appreciate what I've finally got in my hands when I play this game.

I've mentioned it a few times already but I've had a need for this complete package in a game since I was in early teens playing Test Drive on C64 and now I'm 37 and its finally real!

sneaky77

so I have 213/216 roads.. but I can't for the life of me in the map see anything in gray.

Also missing 19 update signs.. but not sure where those are hiding, I dont seem to have any leftstanding according to the map.. except for those 3 unfound rds

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
so I have 213/216 roads.. but I can't for the life of me in the map see anything in gray.

Also missing 19 update signs.. but not sure where those are hiding, I dont seem to have any leftstanding according to the map.. except for those 3 unfound rds

Likely highway on ramps, you can't see them from the map. That's where my last 2 were.

Shaneus

Any word of a patch/fix/update yet? IIRC it didn't take long at all for FM4 to come out with it's first one that corrected some community-discovered issues, I'm hoping it's not the same with FH.

Hey guys, I don't want to make a mess in here so I'll be keeping you up to date on that Hawk 370Z in Forza 4 thread, just added some pics there.

Nista

It took me close to 20 tries to beat the corvette chopper showcase. Go to the biplane one, beat it first try.

And I gave up on the 60s mini cooper one for now. I could never get higher than 4th in that one. Those little buggers are hard to drive.

It took me close to 20 tries to beat the corvette chopper showcase. Go to the biplane one, beat it first try.

And I gave up on the 60s mini cooper one for now. I could never get higher than 4th in that one. Those little buggers are hard to drive.

I was SO happy when I beat that Mini Cooper one. Really proud of myself. First time in a really long time that a racing game actually forced me to learn every cranny of the track and rewarded me for doing so.

AirBrian

The big building by the golf course (I can't remember what it's called) that has a round-about in front of it and a road through the middle that goes to the back. I noticed on the map when i was driving through it that it had no grayed sections, however on a couple of small corners in front I would still get the Roads Driven update.

Coldsnap

Shopping around for my first rank S car (besides the viper you find). Any suggestions? Something that turns great and has a cockpit view would be nice. I was destroying people in my AWD Audi rank A car, was almost going to buy the step up rank S of that car.

Also beat my first insane difficulty race :eek:

Dave_6

That was my last race to win (to complete them all) and I just barely won it after a few tries. That little Mini is stock and spins the damn tires all the way around the track. I literally left it in 3rd gear for the whole race and finally won it by less than a car length.

tsigo

Shopping around for my first rank S car (besides the viper you find). Any suggestions? Something that turns great and has a cockpit view would be nice. I was destroying people in my AWD Audi rank A car, was almost going to buy the step up rank S of that car.

Also beat my first insane difficulty race :eek:

Can't remember exactly which class they start in, I think it's S, but I love the 458 Italia and the 360 Stradale, both Ferraris.

AirBrian

I still have no clue how barn locations are triggered. It has to be either by time spent or by roads driven...?

I played around for an hour last night and did not do any events -- just explored knocking out roads and signs and got another two barn locations. So I've done 4 events and have 4/9 barns. Definitely not complaining though!

My god the pedals on the 360 wireless wheel are garbage. The ball trick doesn't help either.

I'm constantly over braking. I should have went the extra mile and bought a Fanatec wheel instead of a G27. This thing is a toy in comparison.

I am enjoying the game though despite that. I'm finding it really difficult to achieve results better than 4th though, even with my car maxed for the class. I just have to get used to the wheel again. It was frustrating at first but then I just cruised around for an hour and love it. The Kinect GPS integration is an awesome feature.

Also I absolutely hate the unskippable opening and some of the radio messages I can't advance. Thank god I can skip the stupid story cutscenes. Less plot, more racing please.

It's a tough game when using a wheel and no assists. I'd rather play that way on a lower difficulty setting than doing hard or insane with assists.

The bullshit teleporting AI has soured the events a little but the driving feel is one of the best.

Ever.

Top Bottom